• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 5 revealed! Real-Time Prototype Gameplay Demo Running On PS5

GymWolf

This is not about deciding personally which engine makes a game "look" better. That's entirely subjective. This UE5 demo displays some new tech and is used in this demo. It has nothing to do with the art direction or talent of the team in putting this demo together. For him to dismiss the efforts of a company who paves the way for new tech on a multiple platform graphics engine is a complete disservice to the team. It shows a bias and outright prejudice if you ask me. He's basically saying that no matter how good another company that's NOT a 1st party company makes their graphics engine, ONLY a 1st party company can make it better. What kind of BS is that? If ND got Epic's paper and implemented this Nanite feature, does ND get the credit for it if their team is able to make a artistically better looking game? Or does Epic get the credit for doing the R&D on it and making it possible? I say Epic gets all the credit for the technique and the tech behind it.
i mean, i'm with you in theory, i was just explaining why many guys think that ue5 is gonna be worst than proprietary engines, it's all a perception based on current gen and what devs achieved with UE4 engines vs some proprietary engines. (even if it was only because of different artstyle)

i play with both console and pc, i win anyway :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

i perfectly understand what are you saying tho.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Horizon 2 and it's graphics engine have nothing to do with this UE5.0 tech demo. Don't assume that Decima has this technology. It was invented by Epic.

Lastly, I'll reserve judgment when I see HZD2 and have HZD1 on my PC.
realistically, what improvements do you expect from horizon pc?
i'm down to replay my gotg with 4k textures everywhere for example :messenger_smiling_hearts:
(and of course 60 frames)

Last edited:

Compsiox

Banned
I just have to say, if the people from Epic are going as far as saying it can run well on a 2070 gpu then they should just release the demo. I simply don't believe it tbh.

Starcheif

MS and Sony both need to pick 2 games and do a 15 min live demo of them running on finished hardware. That may hold us all over for a couple more weeks :)

IGN is about to host a live show talking about it!

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
he was the most vocal but not the only one, i don't wanna say names tho.

i mean, maybe with 3000 dollars pc you can improve stuff like framerate, resolution, distance grass render or stuff related to shadows with ini editing but the overall graphical impact of horizon 2 is gonna be noticeably better.
i don't care if i can see the shadow casted by the asshole of a thunderjaw 100 miles away when a thunderjaw in horizon 2 is gonna be far more detailed and better animated and probably dinamically destructible (fingers crossed for the last one)

If you have the same artists that have the same style and can run the game on PC @ 4k/60FPS with higher res textures. It could very well look better than a 1440p/30FPS lower res textures. All assuming the same art style.

RE2 remake and RE3 make use the same engine and look very similar. Just because a new game comes out doesn't mean it's going to be LEAGUES better than the previous one especially if they are using the same engine.

Looks great and the Unreal Engine is very impressive and continues to improve.

As far as this being indicative of the kind of graphics that we'll see next gen... I'm not so sure.

We have seen MANY Unreal Tech demos over the years but actual games never wind up looking that good. So yeah, I'm skeptical.

GymWolf

If you have the same artists that have the same style and can run the game on PC @ 4k/60FPS with higher res textures. It could very well look better than a 1440p/30FPS lower res textures. All assuming the same art style.

RE2 remake and RE3 make use the same engine and look very similar. Just because a new game comes out doesn't mean it's going to be LEAGUES better than the previous one especially if they are using the same engine.
but we dont know if the artist is gonna use something similar to this nanite technology to fully use the ssd inside ps5 where horizon 1 has to run on classic hard disk.
i mean, we can agree that guerrila are not that far away in terms of talent compared to epic guys, maybe they have the game perfectly optimized to use ps5 hardware.
we know that pc ssd faster than ssd inside ps5 is not gonna be a thing when horizon 1 is gonna come out on pc and the game is not gonna be optimized around ssd.

i know that you think that even a slow ass hard disk with a far more powerfull gpu can do the same thing, but let me be a little bit more skeptical for now, at least until we see both horizon pc and horizon 2 on ps5.

also it will not be very smart for guerrilla devs to make a game on their new shiny console that looks worse than a old gen game, it just sound wrong.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
HFqwPGS.gif
8cq47jt.gif
FPvc2yQ.gif

VFXVeteran

Banned
Maybe you do. But I dont forget you said there wouldnt be a significant jump in graphics next gen and to look at current pc games as that was what we could expect.

And I stand by that. The only thing you saw in that demo was the geometry. And it is clear that this could have been running on a PC years ago. I need to read the paper to find out more info on it.

but this means higher quality assets become possible

You guys assume that the PS5 GPU is a bottomless pit that can churn out whatever data it can get however fast it can make it. That's a clear indication of the lack of knowledge of a realtime system as well as how the graphics pipeline works. There is no "free" bandwidth. The equilibrium with the PS5 is pumping data no more than 1440p/30FPS. That's the limit. You don't have any clue how much of that solely relies on the SSD's speed. You also don't know if the SSD would even be a bottleneck for a PC with much more RAM than the console has and a faster GPU bandwidth.

What we will say is that if nextgen sony games have this level of detail they look better than existing pc games. You were saying that would not be the case.

This is new tech for every platform. Not just for Sony. It would be available for the PC anyway. And I stand by my stance that as far as lighting/rendering goes. The PC will carry the generation as it has been these many years.

It's running live on the PS5 Dev Kit.

That's fine. I'm not doubting it.

His point is that there have been many "tech demos" over the years. Many of them tend to be released just before a new gen. Rarely to REAL games end up looking like these tech demos.

Someone should make a thread of all the tech demos that were shown before the Xbox 1 / PS4. Then we can see how close actual games came.

Reactions: fse

ZehDon

Gold Member
Yeah - this is what people were expecting when Microsoft said "next-gen gameplay". Even if actual games never get this close, Sony bagged themselves a massive win with this - that demo was just straight up incredible. Easily the best real time rendering I've ever seen.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
but we dont know if the artist is gonna use something similar to this nanite technology to fully use the ssd inside ps5 where horizon 1 has to run on classic hard disk.
i mean, we can agree that guerrila are not that far away in terms of talent compared to epic guys, maybe they have the game perfectly optimized to use ps5 hardware.
we know that pc ssd faster than ssd inside ps5 is not gonna be a thing when horizon 1 is gonna come out on pc and the game is not gonna be optimized around ssd.

i know that you think that even a slow ass hard disk with a far more powerfull gpu can do the same thing, but let me be a little bit more skeptical for now, at least until we see both horizon pc and horizon 2 on ps5.

also it will not be very smart for guerrilla devs to make a game on their new shiny console that looks worse than a old gen game, it just sound wrong.

You are dismissing HZD 1 already. Why? Wouldn't that game still look amazing if it could run with higher resolution, textures, faster framerate, etc..? You can't stamp it as "OLD" just because you saw all the assets already. That's not fair.

On the same vein, if you see a trailer of HZD2 and it uses some of the same tech that HZD 1 uses but has different assets and you automatically declare it's superior just because it's new. That would be a fanboy.

Microsoft is so fucking lame. They literally cannot do anything right. I bet they would somehow fuck up a ham sandwich or a pepperoni pizza.

Kudos to Sony.
LOL fanboy much? Microsoft cannot do anything right yet is worth 1.3 trillion you should change Microsoft to Xbox than it would be better lol Microsoft is not just Xbox man.

Allandor

Well, it's still a demo. There is no way artists will create such assets for a whole game that will fit on a ~1TB SSD.
But well, we see again, 1440p (and maybe even lower) can look really really impressive. Resolution is not everything, the assets create the look of the game.

noise36

Looks great. love me some next gen!

First thing I thought of though in the opening scene was that its a tunnel, only a very limited area has to be rendered by the GPU, plus no bad guys so no power used for AI, same trickery that was used to make many of the pretty games this gen that.

Can someone explain the xbox vs PlayStation posts? The unreal engine is on both consoles, this could have just as easily been an xbox demo.

Last edited:
Sony didn't DO anything today. Epic did. Sony had nothing to do with the Unreal Engine 5. Sony paid Epic money to not mention competition. That is what happened today. Everything you saw today will be on all major platforms next generation.

Surprise surprise the usual downplaying PS5 brigade has arrived, if you have a look at the verge article Tim Sweeny mentions they’ve been working closely with Sony to ensure UE5 can best utilize the upcoming PlayStation's unique architecture.

Please do some research before you post as if you’re stating facts.

Last edited:

VAVA Mk2

At least it's not a 1600P 24fps movie mostly showing closeups of the onscreen character and limited environmental detail under scrutiny due to lots of blur and a dark setting. Similar to how the N64 hid it's texture compromises with Fog. What we have here can be broken down with confidence, it's actual gameplay for one, you can pan the camera full tilt and inspect the details, the character, the DD, it all holds up, nothing here is bushelled up. That's why I say, show me rather than tell me..... This UE5 engine is like a girl showing you they love you through action, whilst the other one says it, but you ain't seeing it. The latter talks a good love game though...
Agree

yurinka

And one last thing guys, you still think Horizon 1 on PC will look better than Horizon 2 on PS5 😅😅😅?
No, because everything related to the SSD (speed, compression, PCIe 4.0, etc). Other than similar CPU/GPU/memory, right now there is no equivalent to the PS5 hardware in the PC market.

Last edited:

GymWolf

You are dismissing HZD 1 already. Why? Wouldn't that game still look amazing if it could run with higher resolution, textures, faster framerate, etc..? You can't stamp it as "OLD" just because you saw all the assets already. That's not fair.

On the same vein, if you see a trailer of HZD2 and it uses some of the same tech that HZD 1 uses but has different assets and you automatically declare it's superior just because it's new. That would be a fanboy.
i'm not dismissing, horizon was my gotg, i would be happy if the pc version will be a vastly improved version.
but guerrilla have to push ps5 being a beast narrative, especially when their ex-leader is now the head of playstation division, it doesn't sound realistic for them pushing the pc version so much when they have to show how better is horizon 2 in comparison, i think they still care more about horizon 2 on ps5 than horizon 1 on pc.

also there is still the question of the ssd, if a faster storage permits those high quality assets we saw in the ue5 demo, i don't think horizon 1 who is optimized for mechanical hard disk will look better than the sequel.

i'm open to change idea, but we still have to see how much improved horizon 1 on pc will be, we don't know this.

also with major improvement in cpu they can improve horizon 2 in more way than simple graphics, it's not just a matter of raw details or how far you can see a perfectly rendered shadow.

we can agree (or maybe not) that 20+ fully destructible and better animated dinobots are still overall more impressive than 10 dinobot with 4k textures.

yurinka

EVERYTHING seen on screen will be related to the SSD?
Yes, everything is being streamed from the SSD at a speed that you don't need loading screens, to hide loading times with corridors, elevators, cutscenes and so on.

But I was mentioning that there is no PC equivalent to all the hardware related to the PS5 SSD. I'm not talking about only having an SSD that streams at over 8-9 GB/s, also talking about all the bottlenecks Cerny mentioned they removed and related tweaks they did to the traditional method of loading from HDD or SSD.

iHaunter

That's fine. I'm not doubting it.

His point is that there have been many "tech demos" over the years. Many of them tend to be released just before a new gen. Rarely to REAL games end up looking like these tech demos.

Someone should make a thread of all the tech demos that were shown before the Xbox 1 / PS4. Then we can see how close actual games came.

I don't disagree. But this is running live currently. I think this might be possible on the next-gen. Though I don't believe the 4k/60 non-sense they keep mentioning. Even my 2080Ti can't do 4K/60 on many games.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads

From Unreal Engine Twitter

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Geoff's stream

(thank you @jackets with pockets )

-----------------------------------------------------

DF Direct - UE5 Engine Tech Demo on PS5 Reaction - Now This Is Next-Gen!

From DF -

More from the DF article

-----------------------------------

UE5 on XsX talk

edit

thanks @Bo_Hazem for screens

-----------------------------------

PC Gamer - asks about 2070 Super handling UE5 Demo and storage requirements for it

-------------------------------

GIFs courtesy of mortal mortal

-----------------------

Phil Spencer tweets

I cant even express how long Ive waited for games to look like this broskis. We are finally at the level of the imagery with some of the best cut scenes seen this gen.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Don't assume that Decima has this technology. It was invented by Epic.
Geometry virtualization has been done(with rather impressive results) on hw with orders of magnitude less compute and even less I/O throughput, over a decade ago - it's not a new invention so much as parts of it being more viable now. Content production side as much as runtime really.
The storage speeds alone will be driving most development to at least consider similar approaches, it's the most obvious thing to try out of the gate with all the extra bandwidth.

Top Bottom