• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 5: What about Stylized graphics? // What's your favorite "non realistic" games?

This looks amazing... unreal Engine 5
9Oqlv7j.jpg

but some of the biggest games in the industry are not realistic. in fact, i also would say most consumer prefer stylized graphic over realistic

VDAPJ1u.jpg

w3pq0cG.jpg

Even a game like Fortnite must be acknowledged with it stylized graphics
CdLLfQS.jpg

Kuranghi

Dragon Quest XI is gorgeous, fully whacked up on PC its a sight to behold. I downsampled it from 8K and its insane (but not playable fps on my GPU unfort).

Abzu is probably my favourite looking non realistic game though, I just replayed it whacked up also and it was so glorious, just the way all the fish shoals look when cleanly rendered at a distance, also the fish balls look brilliant.

I would dream of them porting Abzu to UE5 actually.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Yeah I'm hoping for more games with a different art style.

I want Rachel and Clank but with like a good story and depth in its combat.

Banned
Stylized graphics are always better IMO. there is a reason even with the huge render farms and all the time in the world, Pixar movies and almost all successful animated movies are stylized and not use realistic styles.

every time you see an animated character in a movie that tried to make said character look realistic, it simply looks off. what many movies do especially badly (which is kinda surprising) is physics. many big budget movies with 3D animated scenes of some building getting destroyed or a car having a crash etc. look so bad... like ridiculously bad considering I've seen many better examples in video games even.

fuck realism, gimme style! not only because it looks better now, but because it will also keep looking good if it is well made.

this still looks good:
716455-the-legend-of-zelda-the-wind-waker-gamecube-screenshot-flying.png

while this doesn't:
Rfda94e9ecf34272da8233f371905feeb

this looks good:
Screen%2BShot%2B2016-03-31%2Bat%2B10.45.25%2BPM.png

and once again, this simply doesn't:
goldeneye-n64-hero.jpg

Last edited:

Lethal01

9Oqlv7j.jpg

but some of the biggest games in the industry are not realistic. in fact, i also would say most consumer prefer stylized graphic over realistic

VDAPJ1u.jpg

w3pq0cG.jpg

CdLLfQS.jpg

What about em?
The new features of unreal 5 will benefit stylized games just as much as realistic ones.

My favourite stylized games are Guilty Gears Strive, BoTW and Megaman legends.
for 2d you have Megaman Zero, breath of Fire 3, Dragons crown

harmny

Banned
Stylized graphics are always better IMO. there is a reason even with the huge render farms and all the time in the world, Pixar movies and almost all successful animated movies are stylized and not use realistic styles.

every time you see an animated character in a movie that tried to make said character look realistic, it simply looks off. what many movies do especially badly (which is kinda surprising) is physics. many big budget movies with 3D animated scenes of some building getting destroyed or a car having a crash etc. look so bad... like ridiculously bad considering I've seen many better examples in video games even.

fuck realism, gimme style! not only because it looks better now, but because it will also keep looking good if it is well made.

this still looks good:
716455-the-legend-of-zelda-the-wind-waker-gamecube-screenshot-flying.png

while this doesn't:
Rfda94e9ecf34272da8233f371905feeb

this looks good:
Screen%2BShot%2B2016-03-31%2Bat%2B10.45.25%2BPM.png

and once again, this simply doesn't:
goldeneye-n64-hero.jpg

The first part of your post is entirely wrong lol. But the last part is right. Stylized graphics stand the test of time much better.

Banned
The first part of your post is entirely wrong lol. But the last part is right. Stylized graphics stand the test of time much better.

what's wrong about the first part? animated movies are almost always highly stylized. realistic looking ones are rare and look bizarre at best a few years later... Young Leia and Tarkin in Rogue One, they instantly looked weird

9Oqlv7j.jpg

VDAPJ1u.jpg

w3pq0cG.jpg

CdLLfQS.jpg
Dragon Ball FighterZ and Guilty Gear Strive run on Unreal Engine 4 and look insane.

I'll take art style over realistic graphics any day. Some I really like are Sunset Overdrive, Ghost of Tsushima, Shadow of The Colossus, Journey, and Ori to name just a few. But, I do think that some ppl have an easier time "appreciating" realistic graphics and hold that style up as the gold standard. I think it's mostly because it's easier for them to process realistic graphics, you have a reference point already... just look around you. We know what a marble is supposed to look like, wood, concrete, teeth, eyes, etc. What the fuck does an Ori look like?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Unity>UE when it comes to stylized games.

What the fuck does that even mean?

Does Unity have a better NPR renderer than Unreal Engine, when Unreal can make full on Studio Ghibli "graphics".
Id argue making stylized shaders/renders in Unreal is easier than in Unity.
5d2c52cbe8a3b.jpg

Magik85

there is a reason even with the huge render farms and all the time in the world, Pixar movies and almost all successful animated movies are stylized and not use realistic styles.
Sure theres reason for that. But its not about "looking better".
First reason is target audience. Pixar movies are made mainly for younger chaps. They are basicly new cartoons.
Other reason reason is that realistic CGI is just WAY more difficult to make. Slightest mismatch with lighting makes it look off.

Arcadialane

The UE5 showing was disappointedly... brown, but you can certain have stylised colourful looks with UE

Dragons Quest 11 - With UE4 engine:

Dragon-Quest-11_Bee-Rider_Midnight-Horknight.JPG

screenshot.dragon-quest-11-echoes-of-an-elusive-age.1920x1080.2018-10-09.161.jpg
Dragon-Quest-XI-Red-Doors-Locations-Guide.jpg

Last edited:
S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
I love stylised graphics but my god, Fortnite has to be one of the ugliest games in creation.

Top Bottom