• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unsecured Webcams x Google Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I like how it's 4-5 in all of Asia then hundreds all over America.

And why wouldn't it be legal? These are public and unsecure feeds.

about what i'd expect from florida

d0gg6.jpg
Heh I'm watching the same one right now. He's either typing on a phone or trying to figure out his remote control

Nemesis_

I like how it's 4-5 in all of Asia then hundreds all over America.

And why wouldn't it be legal? These are public and unsecure feeds.

Isn't this the same mentality as "If someone leaves their door unlocked, everything in their house is public domain" or something?

Polari

Surely this isn't legal.

Probably a bit of a grey area... keep in mind these are all coming from a simple Google search. If I put something on the Internet, but leave it completely open, is someone I didn't want to view it having a look therefore breaking the law? I doubt it.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Isn't this the same mentality as "If someone leaves their door unlocked, everything in their house is public domain" or something?

Laws for trespassing on physical property are easier to uphold than virtual property. And assuming no hacking or malicious software is being used, it's on the broadcaster to properly set their privacy level.

I want to contact someone and direct them to their webcam as they're sitting in front of it and watch their mind explode.

teiresias

If you're not running your webcam on one of those hosted solutions that gives you web access to your camera from anywhere than you're not going to find yourself on this (unless it got setup without your knowledge of course). If you've only got the webcam drivers installed and use it for skype and/or google hangouts you're PROBABLY ok.
3AQmK.gif

Why has no one answered this question yet?
Well, according to the source...
Please help denounce and raise awareness about this severe backdoor compromising lots of TRENDNet IP cam users, share this with IT security experts and opinion leaders.
follow us on twitter @TRENDNetExposed, take and share screenshots that demonstrate the potential privacy threat and comment with hashtag #TRENDnetExposed
So I'd say avoiding TRENDNet to begin with would be a good start. :p

Cipherr

Taking something from someones home without permission is still against an actual law. If there is a law against punching in the url of an unsecured webcam then by all means, show it to us. But if it isn't I don't see what you are getting at. This just seems like poor poor poor security to me, but I don't think that someone typing in the url and getting a feed is breaking any laws.

Nemesis_

Taking something from someones home without permission is still against an actual law. If there is a law against punching in the url of an unsecured webcam then by all means, show it to us. But if it isn't I don't see what you are getting at. This just seems like poor poor poor security to me.

....I'm not complaining or belittling the person who asked, I was merely raising a question.

If you get the image url, you can actually direct link too if you really wanted to.

Alebrije

(Newser) – Feeds from an extensive network of home security cameras have been breached, and videos, including scenes from children's bedrooms, are being watched and linked to online. "Someone caught a guy getting naked in Denmark," noted one blogger. Another remarked: "Baby spotted. I feel like a pedophile watching this." Because of a security vulnerability in the Trendnet software, savvy web users can get access to live home footage without a password, reports the BBC. "Lengthy lists of freely accessible video streams are already circulating on the web, providing views of offices, living rooms and children's bedrooms," notes The H, a web site on online security.

The California-based Trendnet company—whose motto is "networks that people trust"—is scrambling to release software updates to fix the problem. Thousands of cameras may be affected, and the company has known about the issue for weeks, a spokesman admitted the the BBC. A blogger shared a way to breach the system in early January. Others who checked out the tip were quickly sharing information about hundreds of cameras as well as real-time feeds.

http://www.newser.com/story/139135/hacked-home-security-cams-link-to-bedroom-scenes.html

It seems there a more than 50,000 cameras with this problem.

Phoenix

Laws for trespassing on physical property are easier to uphold than virtual property. And assuming no hacking or malicious software is being used, it's on the broadcaster to properly set their privacy level.

Indeed. These are open broadcasts. That the owners chose not to make the broadcasts private makes this whole affair 100% legal. If you transmit, its up to you to secure.

Nemesis_

You'll notice most of these people have their dates set to 2000 rather than 2013.

If they can't set a date properly how would they set their privacy settings properly? >_>

7threst

You'll notice most of these people have their dates set to 2000 rather than 2013.

If they can't set a date properly how would they set their privacy settings properly? >_>

Well I also see some offices, where camera's most of the time have been installed by professional companies. They really fucked up here.

But especially the amount of children's bedrooms you come across is worrying. The parents probably thought it was a good security measure. But I guess less security is better then this kind of security.

Cmagus

Well I also see some offices, where camera's most of the time have been installed by professional companies. They really fucked up here.

But especially the amount of children's bedrooms you come across is worrying. The parents probably thought it was a good security measure. But I guess less security is better then this kind of security.

Which is why I stopped after two clicks. Sorry but I am not risking clicking on some child's room where they may be exposed. Hopefully they fix this fast.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Found one looking at what seems to be a little girls bed. Has a toy bunny and other stuffed toys. Creepy as fuck.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
(Newser) – Feeds from an extensive network of home security cameras have been breached, and videos, including scenes from children's bedrooms, are being watched and linked to online. "Someone caught a guy getting naked in Denmark," noted one blogger. Another remarked: "Baby spotted. I feel like a pedophile watching this." Because of a security vulnerability in the Trendnet software, savvy web users can get access to live home footage without a password, reports the BBC. "Lengthy lists of freely accessible video streams are already circulating on the web, providing views of offices, living rooms and children's bedrooms," notes The H, a web site on online security.

The California-based Trendnet company—whose motto is "networks that people trust"—is scrambling to release software updates to fix the problem. Thousands of cameras may be affected, and the company has known about the issue for weeks, a spokesman admitted the the BBC. A blogger shared a way to breach the system in early January. Others who checked out the tip were quickly sharing information about hundreds of cameras as well as real-time feeds.

http://www.newser.com/story/139135/hacked-home-security-cams-link-to-bedroom-scenes.html

It seems there a more than 50,000 cameras with this problem.

This company is gonna get sued so hard. Like holy shit.

xptoxyz

People counting money, same time of building in different locations, this is really bad. And people saying they're getting rooms and children is even more messed up.

Hopefully camera owners will hear about this and shut them off.

BHK3

Banned
There's a camera very close to my location, I almost shat a brick as I kept zooming in as it's very close to my house D:

Imagine if you look at this and witness a murder taking place :eek:

I remember this being a popular google search a few years back, most cameras at schools are unprotected and can actually be controlled, those could possible aid in a robbery or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom