• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unseen 64 - Jak 4 Concept Art (PS3)

Silky

Banned
I searched "Jak 4, Jak and Daxter 4, Unseen64" and I didn't see a thread for this. If there IS a thread for this, (fuck NeoGAF's search function) and close the thread pls.

http://www.unseen64.net/tag/jak-daxter/

jak-daxter-4-ps3-cancelled-concept-1.jpg

More images at the jump. Scans aren't allowed here on GAF, but hey the first image isn't a scan so...yeah, uh there.

Takao

Banned
As the site says, this wasn't "Jak 4" so much as it was a Jak reboot. It sounded horrible as they wanted to go super realistic.

Naughty Dog were developing a fourth proper game, but it was for PSP and eventually became The Lost Frontier by High Impact.

Nintendad

I loved what they did with that series and would love to see them visit again some time. The art looks pretty much where I wanted to see it go. Bummer.

Wollveren

Banned
Thats pretty sick! I've always wondered what happened to the Jak series when I was younger, was so made it devolved into a racer and some PSP games.

The art looks really modern and more mature, wish we got a Jak 4 in the end :(

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
My gut instinct was to be upset over this. I loved the original Jak. But then I remembered that Naughty Dog's series have fantastic originals, with sequels that get worse with each iteration.

Yes, Uncharted included.

My gut instinct was to be upset over this. I loved the original Jak. But then I remembered that Naughty Dog's series have fantastic originals, with sequels that get worse with each iteration.

Yes, Uncharted included.
Good thing they never made Way of the Warrior 2, yikes.

Ploid 3.0

I actually loved Jak 2's gameplay and world style. Everything was so impressive with that game. ND needs to make another openworld platformer, I know they are tired of making humans. Do it ND!

Edit: I actually remember some of these pictures.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
It almost looks like it could've been ND's own Guardians of the Universe with that style. They should definitely do it.

Not a fan of the realistic look, especially Daxter's. But I want a Jak 4 so badly NaughtyDog!!! Please, revisit Jak 4 on the PS4!

ascii42

Yes, Uncharted included.

You consider Crash 2 worse than Crash 1?

Saw this in the art book. Guardians of the Galaxy's Rocket Raccoon makes me realize that a Daxter in that style could work. I doubt we'll ever get it though.

Lijik

As much as Id hate a realistic Jak game, seeing those environments fully realized would have definitely been super cool.

Why did it *have* to be a reboot? Just get the original art style closer to a CG look.

I'm sure I'll love Uncharted 4 and TLoU2, but my heart aches for more fantastical vibrant game from Naughty Dog again. It doesn't even have to be a J&D game either. They would utterly floor the industry with what they come up with. High budget cartoony fantasy titles are extremely rare, let alone high budget 3D platformers. Other than Sonic and Ratchet and Clank (perhaps Knack too), there doesn't seem to be much desire for the development of these kind of games anymore, and it looks to stay that way. Hoping that Sony will surprise me.

Why did it *have* to be a reboot? Just get the original art style closer to a CG look.

I'm sure I'll love Uncharted 4 and TLoU2, but my heart aches for more fantastical vibrant game from Naughty Dog again. It doesn't even have to be a J&D game either. They would utterly floor the industry with what they come up with. High budget cartoony fantasy titles are extremely rare, let alone high budget platformers. Other than Sonic and Ratchet and Clank (perhaps Knack too), there doesn't seem to be much desire for the development of these kind of games.

I pressed F.

lord

Jak looks very bad :p I like the envos though. It seems that horrible realistic Jak lead to uncharted somehow, there is some resemblance.

That game would have been amazing. I like the more realistic yet still fantasy setting.

Would have been far better than yet another uncharted game

jak-daxter-4-ps3-cancelled-concept-3.jpg

aarrrgghhh god damn it Naughty Dog

I'm sure I'll love Uncharted 4 and TLoU2, but my heart aches for more fantastical vibrant game from Naughty Dog again. It doesn't even have to be a J&D game either. They would utterly floor the industry with what they come up with. High budget cartoony fantasy titles are extremely rare, let alone high budget platformers. Other than Sonic and Ratchet and Clank (perhaps Knack too), there doesn't seem to be much desire for the development of these kind of games.

Well, we already know that they have another team building a separate AAA title while Uncharted is in development. And as far as we know they don't have any concrete ideas for TLoU2. So...

Haxxona

Banned
Depending on the reception of the remake on Ratchet & Clank and Tearaway I think ND/Sony may revisit some of their more platformy games.

I LOVE that artwork (except for the character models), particularly the image in the OP, but from what they were saying, it wouldn't have been a Jak game at heart, so I'm glad they scrapped it.

lord

That game would have been amazing. I like the more realistic yet still fantasy setting.

Would have been far better than yet another uncharted game

aarrrgghhh god damn it Naughty Dog
it seems that they wanted to go realistic for some reason, and it inspired Uncharted somehow

Sami+

I really like this redesign, but the cancellation led to TLoU being made so I can't say I'm unhappy.

Depending on the reception of the remake on Ratchet & Clank and Tearaway I think ND/Sony may revisit some of their more platformy games.

LBP, R&C, and Sly are here to stay. Those franchises aren't going anywhere for the foreseeable future, especially LBP and Ratchet. I could see Tearaway sticking around too cause it's so goddamn fantastic and PS4 makes sales dreams come true. J&D will come back if ND wants it to. I think we'll see something in it by the end of this generation, but that's just baseless speculation.

Some of those character designs are great. Not the weird anime Jak, but the three on the right here:
jak-daxter-4-ps3-cancelled-concept-4.jpg
and Daxter E.

Mar Nosso

Banned
The changes from Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy to Jak II were already an absolutely horrible move in the wrong direction. And some people are defending this? There really is no accounting for taste. I'm glad they cancelled it. Shame they didn't see how guns and open-world esque sequels were a bad idea too.

The original still stands as a brilliant, charming game. The sequels can die in a fire, forgotten by the future generations.

Drago

My heart aches for Jak 4 so badly. It needs to stay true to the series roots though, really wasn't digging the direction they wanted to go with it. I just don't understand why they felt it had to be a realistic game... but hey, I'm a big fan of Jak 2 and 3, as well as 1, and that was a drastic change in direction on it's own, so maybe I would have ended up loving it. I dunno.

The concept art is really pretty.

The changes from Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy to Jak II were already an absolutely horrible move in the wrong direction. And some people are defending this? There really is no accounting for taste. I'm glad they cancelled it. Shame they didn't see how guns and open-world esque sequels were a bad idea too.

The original still stands as a brilliant, charming game. The sequels can die in a fire, forgotten by the future generations.

I'm playing through Jak II now. It's just...a textbook example of poor design and QA. The missions are beyond frustrating. It's like no one actually play tested the thing.

There are a few areas in the game where it has that same majesty of the original, but it's so rare and fleeting, then you're back in the crappy city.

Can't wait to just be done with it at this point.

ExoSoul

Banned
Guys! Guys!

They cancelled the PS3 version because...

IT'S GONNA BE A PS4 TITTLE!!!! *streamers and confetti*

ascii42

I never got around to beating Jak II because of frustration, but for some reason Jak 3 clicked with me. I really liked that one.

I'm playing through Jak II now. It's just...a textbook example of poor design and QA. The missions are beyond frustrating. It's like no one actually play tested the thing.

There are a few areas in the game where it has that same majesty of the original, but it's so rare and fleeting, then you're back in the crappy city.

Can't wait to just be done with it at this point.

Haven Forest? :p

Top Bottom