• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn Has Been Cancelled for PS3?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Update:

http://www.vg247.com/2013/12/13/until-dawn-ps3-survival-horror-game-cancelled-says-amazon-report/

I got in touch with Samuels to clarify the original story below, and as it happens, Until Dawn is not cancelled. He told me in an email, “Until Dawn is most definitely not cancelled and we are still developing it. Not only that, but we’re really excited about what we’re creating and can’t wait to tell more and show more sometime soon. I understand that the silence has been frustrating for those people who have been looking out for more details.

“It’s clearly not planned to be a 2013 release any longer and I’m hoping and expecting to be able to say more in the new year, but that’s really all I’m able to say right now.”

There you go folks, clarity at long last.

2013-12-1313_59_39-un92an9.png

------------------------------------------------------------------

PlayStation owners who were excited for Until Dawn, the upcoming horror game by Supermassive Games, may be a little disappointed this holiday season. Recently an e-mail from Amazon has been sent out to gamers who pre-ordered the highly anticipated horror game that uses the PlayStation’s move for gameplay. In the email it says that:

“We recently learned that the manufacturer of Until Dawn – PlayStation 3 cancelled this release and it will not be available for purchase.”

In the game you control several teenagers who are being stalked by a serial killer on the anniversary of their friends’ death. Apologies to the gamers who were excited for Until Dawn, here’s to hoping it comes back soon, hopefully on the PlayStation 4. See the e-mail being sent out below.

http://www.spawnfirst.com/news/dawn-release-cancelled/

rqS2P6S.jpg

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Wait this was supposed to be an actual horror game?

I thought it was a parody of a horror game, at least the ridiculously cheesy stuff they showed at that one conference gave me that impression.

chadskin

"Until Dawn is very much still in development, going really well, and without any deliberations of possible cancelation that I'm aware of," Samuels said. "We're very pleased with the way it's going. I'm sure that there will be more news soon, but I couldn't say exactly when."

That was in November this year, so I second the assumption it has been moved from PS3 to PS4 (and hopefully they dropped the Move exclusive stuff along the way).

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Well, it was already cancelled once, and thereafter the game switched developers.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
You can't just drop that and not share all the dets.
It was in development for a year or two at Sony London and cancelled briefly (leading to layoffs as Sony reassessed its projects worldwide) before moving to Supermassive. I thought this was well known but maybe not.

V_Ben

Banned
I'm going with 'Moved to PS4, will be one of the titles used to demo the PlayStation 4 VR Headset'

It was in development for a year or two at Sony London and cancelled briefly (leading to layoffs as Sony reassessed its projects worldwide) before moving to Supermassive. I thought this was well known but maybe not.

Aye, that's what the flashlight demo in that first Move teaser trailer was I believe?

El-Suave

If they bring it out for PS4 and it still has motion controls, it might even move some cameras. They have to make games for that thing and the controller light bars eventually, no matter how popular the cam becomes via Twitch.

This would be amazing on PS4 if that rumoured headset turns out to be real. I don't mind if it's intentionally hammy and cliched if it has some good scares and disturbing imagery (seems like an odd thing to say, but that's what I look for in horror media). Using the PS Move as the flashlight could be an amazing idea. Did it work well in Silent Hill: Shattered Memories?

Hanmik

http://www.vg247.com/2013/12/13/until-dawn-ps3-survival-horror-game-cancelled-says-amazon-report/

UPDATE:

I got in touch with Samuels to clarify the original story below, and as it happens, Until Dawn is not cancelled. He told me in an email, “Until Dawn is most definitely not cancelled and we are still developing it. Not only that, but we’re really excited about what we’re creating and can’t wait to tell more and show more sometime soon. I understand that the silence has been frustrating for those people who have been looking out for more details.

“It’s clearly not planned to be a 2013 release any longer and I’m hoping and expecting to be able to say more in the new year, but that’s really all I’m able to say right now.”

There you go folks, clarity at long last.

Good stuff. Update in the OP please? Surely it's a PS4 game now, in that case?

That seems to be the most likely scenario. I'm hoping that they didn't just port it and have rebuilt it on some level for the PS4. The slasher movie concept of the game is something that horror games have rarely explored. I actually think ObsCure is the only one that has done it.

Top Bottom