• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

Lime

Boo Sam died right at the very last scene.

I don't think I moved though? Didn't have problems with any of the other keep still moments. Oh well. Doesn't matter if it's the last scene I guess. You don't really miss anything.

Same thing happened to me. Restarted the thing 7 times and it kept on failing on that particular part. At the end I just gave up.

Kiko

Just finished it today. Saved 6/8 without any spoilers or walkthroughs on this blind run. Only Sam's death was annoying to me.
I certainly did not move and never had any problems with those events before

I also lost Josh due to not enough hints about the twins.

SAiLO

Finally got a platinum. Really enjoyed this game, it was refreshing after playing Destiny, GTA, Witcher 3. Great fun and made me jump a few times!

I don't think I moved though? Didn't have problems with any of the other keep still moments. Oh well. Doesn't matter if it's the last scene I guess. You don't really miss anything.

Just finished it today. Saved 6/8 without any spoilers or walkthroughs on this blind run. Only Sam's death was annoying to me.
I certainly did not move and never had any problems with those events before

I also lost Josh due to not enough hints about the twins.
it's not really a don't move, its a keep the light within the lines. The vibrations cause it to move slightly so you've to keep micromanaging the light to keep it OK.

spekkeh

Banned
it's not really a don't move, its a keep the light within the lines. The vibrations cause it to move slightly so you've to keep micromanaging the light to keep it OK.

That's weird though, because it would mean a departure from how the previous twenty events play out.
I have my arms resting on my legs and therefore completely still (or in any case still enough for the gyroscope not to detect it), I never saw the light move a millimeter. In the very last case it just suddenly and in the fraction of a second lurched away.

Scotia

Banned
Finished the game just now. It's absolutely amazing and I can't wait to play it again. I'll spoiler what happened in my playthrough, just in case:

I was very pleased with my playthrough. The only mistake I made was getting Matt killed. I chose to save Emily but she fell into into the mine. Matt moved on but was taken by the wendigo and was put onto a hook and died. He was the first one to die. Josh was the second (and last) to die, but I didn't feel bad about it seeing as he was the psycho.

For ages I thought Jess was dead, even though Mike got there very quickly, so I was very surprised and pleased to see that she was alive. She successfully got out the mine and was the first one to survive 'Until Dawn'.

I was desperate for Chris and Ashley to survive seeing as I'd grown quite fond of them. They luckily survived with no real problems. Emily made it out as well along with Sam and Mike. Apart from Matt, everyone I wanted to survive did, so I'm quite pleased about that.

The final scene in the cabin was tense as fuck and I was glad that Sam and Mike lived through it. The Sanitorium and Sanitorium redux were probably my favourite parts of the game.

Overall, the game is really good and I hope they make another one. I'm excited to see what they could bring to a second game. I'd give it a 9.5/10. The only thing I didn't like was that I failed 80% of the don't move parts because there was almost no warning before it happened. Other than that the game was great.

Wazzy

Banned
Phew. Started this last night with friends and it's such a well done game.

We got up to the part where shit got real with
Josh dying from being cut in half by a saw and Mike pursuing the killer
and the whole thing was just brutal.

Really hope to play with my group again soon.

Finally powered through the game last night and this morning. Absolutely loved it. Just a couple of tiny complaints.

1) I felt the controls were kinda bad, especially when right next to walls/in small spaces looking for clues and when trying to chance direction quickly.

2) It was a little immersion-breaking that the characters can't run when you control them. There are definitely some scenes where you are in control where the character would absolutely be sprinting.

Finally powered through the game last night and this morning. Absolutely loved it. Just a couple of tiny complaints.

1) I felt the controls were kinda bad, especially when right next to walls/in small spaces looking for clues and when trying to chance direction quickly.

2) It was a little immersion-breaking that the characters can't run when you control them. There are definitely some scenes where you are in control where the character would absolutely be sprinting.
The second point I disagree with. Any point they had to sprint or do anything but a quick pace they changed it to QTEs. I don't recall a single instance where youre controlling the characters where I would have sprinted where they only lightly jogged outside of the obvious "lol horror movie people should just gtfo at the first sign of something 2spooky"

Brilliant game

Jessica got thrown down the mineshaft, Matt got impaled on a hook, Chris had his head ripped off, Josh had his head crushed by Hannah, and Mike was burned to death by Sam flipping the switch at the end

Sam, Emily and Ashley survived.

Ended up really liking Mike, can take or leave the others aside from Sam who is pretty great throughout

What was the bonus scene then?

Thought (late game spoilers)
the Wendigo design, visual, audible and in terms of animation
was brilliant btw. Whoever was responsible for that did a fantastic job.

VinFTW

This game has so far been a gargantuan piece of trash.

Hard locking my PS4 (had to unplug it from the wall) in the tutorial and a 5fps snowball fight after 2 resets of the application.

Good start. Always fun getting your casual friends to come over and play games only to be greeted by the lovely issues I'm having.

Grisby

Just started this today. It's a nice change of pace after beating Metal Gear.

Atmosphere is excellent, and while the acting and writing isn't particularly great, it's not terribly offensive either. The facial expressions are really good, and I'm quite drawn in.

On chapter five, and I already lost some folks. Wish you could walk/run a little bit faster, and that there were a lot more objects to interact with though.

Finaika

Just started this today. It's a nice change of pace after beating Metal Gear.

Atmosphere is excellent, and while the acting and writing isn't particularly great, it's not terribly offensive either. The facial expressions are really good, and I'm quite drawn in.

On chapter five, and I already lost some folks. Wish you could walk/run a little bit faster, and that there were a lot more objects to interact with though.

The acting is excellent, better than MGS.

I don't think I moved though? Didn't have problems with any of the other keep still moments.

Same thing happened to me. Restarted the thing 7 times and it kept on failing on that particular part. At the end I just gave up.

This one is different/tricky on purpose. Throughout the game, it's always been
"keep the blue inside the white outline" and for 99% of the game, there's no movement of the blue mass or there's enough wiggle room where movement doesn't affect it. But in this scene, it's already creeping up against the edge of the line so you actually have to either put the controller down on a surface like carpet that can absorb vibrations, or you have to move the controller ever so slightly to keep it in line.

This.

That's weird though, because it would mean a departure from how the previous twenty events play out.
I have my arms resting on my legs and therefore completely still (or in any case still enough for the gyroscope not to detect it), I never saw the light move a millimeter. In the very last case it just suddenly and in the fraction of a second lurched away.

It is, on purpose.

FUCK

Gave the flare gun to Matt not realising he'd use it straight away, so he had no defense against his killer
:(

That's funny, I've seen a lot of people say this but when I
gave it to Matt I was given a choice of what to do. I still shot it, lol,
but there was a choice.

spekkeh

Banned
If you change the interaction in the very last moment with no chance for learning, then it's simply bad game design. But I see that they patched it, so I'm going to go with my reticule suddenly lurching away was a bug.

If you change the interaction in the very last moment with no chance for learning, then it's simply bad game design. But I see that they patched it, so I'm going to go with my reticule suddenly lurching away was a bug.
They didn't. It was the same from the start. The light moved automatically always, the player had to compensate.

GSR

Up to the last chapter, had to stop because the controller was getting low on power and starting to wig out on QTEs.

Everyone's alive except
Matt, who got hooked after trying to save Emily.
Sounds like we weren't the only ones who got hit by that.

Also, can someone clarify the "don't move" controls? I haven't had much trouble but people are talking about moving it, and I've noticed you can move the light around. Is it inverted, eg. going left will move the blue light on-screen right?

Bio

Not really.
I know this because I beat all those by setting my controller down on a table and holding it in place from above so the vibration didn't shift it.

Also I'm not getting what people mean with Matt and
the flare gun, I gave it to him since the totem said to and used it to save his life. What do people mean that he uses it straight away?

Not really.
I know this because I beat all those by setting my controller down on a table and holding it in place from above so the vibration didn't shift it.

the flare gun, I gave it to him since the totem said to and used it to save his life. What do people mean that he uses it straight away?

Erm nope. Never had to compensate. I kept it perfectly still and so did the light.
It even says it "keep still".

What I mean is, the input is the same each time. It does not change at the end, it's just more difficult. You have to keep the blue light within the white lines. It doesn't matter if you don't keep exactly still as long as you keep it within those lines.

Edit: I worded it wrong. Sorry guys.

Checked it out last night, very cool game! Got about 4 "game hours" in. The atmosphere is crazy, so many jump scares, I hate it. lol

Although I really like the game, the characters are interesting. Hope to finish it soonish.

BTA

Not really.

It seems that if his relationship with Emily is too high, he'll shoot the gun while trying to save her after the tower falls.

Bio

It seems that if his relationship with Emily is too high, he'll shoot the gun while trying to save her after the tower falls.

Wow hmm, I don't know how I didn't get that then. I feel like I was always
Super on her side always as Matt. Even siding with her every time as she argued with Jessica, etc

Edit: Actually some googling told me what might have made the difference, apparently if you
say you'd rather go back to the lodge than go to the radio tower he'll keep the flare gun when given instead of wasting it, I'm pretty sure I did that because I didn't think everyone splitting up was the best idea.

BTA

Wow hmm, I don't know how I didn't get that then. I feel like I was always
Super on her side always as Matt. Even siding with her every time as she argued with Jessica, etc

Edit: Actually some googling told me what might have made the difference, apparently if you
say you'd rather go back to the lodge than go to the radio tower he'll keep the flare gun when given instead of wasting it, I'm pretty sure I did that because I didn't think everyone splitting up was the best idea.

That might be it, but I think it might be the relationship stats overall and that just affects that a lot; this has come up a couple times in this thread and it's still not perfectly clear. When my group did it (and he kept the flare without shooting it), the Butterfly Effect screen pointed to us supporting Jessica a little after their fight as the reason for Emily being angry at us after the tower fell, though we did tell her to go back to the lodge as well. Because we tried to save her twice before jumping away, she still thought of Matt really highly after, which was kinda funny.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Slightly scared at how many spoiler marked posts there are, but just popping in to say how much I'm enjoying this. Only just started playing today, but I'm hooked. About halfway through my first night so far, and getting a few ideas.

I did have a couple of characters die without me doing anything I felt was obviously telegraphing it, so I don't know if some deaths are unavoidable. I don't know if I like how sometimes the best option is not to do something (eg
shoot the squirrel or throw a snowball at the bird on the picnic table
. Makes everything a little less mechanical and keeps you second guessing your decisions. (
attacking a deer with an axe was something I regretted
)

How replayable is it, and how 'no turning back' is it if you miss a QTE? Eg if there are a few things I want to try differently next time, but I mess up a couple of QTEs and get someone killed, can I restart a chapter and try again, or am I screwed? I get the idea of not doing that on a first play through, but if you're replaying and more aware of the mechanics and what you're trying to adjust, it seems like it would be better to be more lenient with restarting sections? Also, do collected clues reman on subsequent playthroughs or do you have to collect them all from scratch?

Just finished my second playthrough and this time everyone survived and I also found every collectible. Was nice to see how different the game was from my first run and I noticed many details that deepened the story for me. I actually still feel like doing a third playthrough at some point.

Grisby

On the last chapter, I believe. Been having a blast with it. I've got a lot of my guys still alive.

At times this game is giving me overwhelming Silent Hill and Resident Evil classic vibes. Good, good stuff.

Fixed camera angles are the best when used properly.
The acting is excellent, better than MGS.
Er, I didn't say it was worse than MGS. It's picked up a lot though, and yeah, it's been pretty good.

GSR

Finished! Everyone survived except
Matt, which is frustrating since he was one of the earliest possible deaths, I think.

That last sequence was torture to get through.

Overall a great experience. Loved the intentionally hammy acting/script, the atmosphere, the "this is what a modern classic-style RE would look like" camera angles, the sound design, the graphics... while I suspect the "butterfly effect" system isn't quite as interlaced as they played up (I noticed that there were very few potential death points until the last couple of chapters), this was still a great evolution on the Heavy Rain style of adventure game. Would love to see a sequel of some sort.

Grisby

Finished. Bravo to Supermassive. I had a great time.

Last chapter was a bit shorter than I expected but everyone survived except for two peeps.

What was the dlc supposed to be?

Planet

What was the dlc supposed to be?
The DLC prolonged the second chapter a bit.

When you walk down the path with Matt and Emily to fetch the missing bag
(stupid bossy bitch)
, right until you find the pig head, which leads to a doctor session. Absolutely unspectacular addition...

(stupid bossy bitch)
, right until you find the pig head, which leads to a doctor session. Absolutely unspectacular addition...
Yeah it isn't all that great. Imho all it really does, which they probably saw as necessary so people didn't despise her, was give her a chance to be sweet since really there isn't another point she can really be.

Grisby

(stupid bossy bitch)
Oh. Ok, well I had DL it and wondered what it was.

BTA

Slightly scared at how many spoiler marked posts there are, but just popping in to say how much I'm enjoying this. Only just started playing today, but I'm hooked. About halfway through my first night so far, and getting a few ideas.

I did have a couple of characters die without me doing anything I felt was obviously telegraphing it, so I don't know if some deaths are unavoidable. I don't know if I like how sometimes the best option is not to do something (eg
shoot the squirrel or throw a snowball at the bird on the picnic table
. Makes everything a little less mechanical and keeps you second guessing your decisions. (
attacking a deer with an axe was something I regretted
)

How replayable is it, and how 'no turning back' is it if you miss a QTE? Eg if there are a few things I want to try differently next time, but I mess up a couple of QTEs and get someone killed, can I restart a chapter and try again, or am I screwed? I get the idea of not doing that on a first play through, but if you're replaying and more aware of the mechanics and what you're trying to adjust, it seems like it would be better to be more lenient with restarting sections? Also, do collected clues reman on subsequent playthroughs or do you have to collect them all from scratch?

I haven't tried it myself but apparently if you mess up a QTE, you should just quickly close the app and if it didn't save yet, you can redo it. Otherwise, if it's saved, it's saved. That doesn't change on later playthroughs.

(Function spoilers; you want this info but others might not.)
When replaying, there's a menu that lets you play from certain episodes/chapters on to redo choices. The really shitty part of this that seems to be frustrating a lot of people, me included, is that this function is locked to the choices of your latest full New Game playthrough. So if you beat the game and then start from episode 3 and get to episode 5, then mess up something in episode 5, then (whether you continue from there and finish the game or do this immediately) if you go to the episodes menu and choose episode 5 it will be the original playthrough's chapter 5 with your original choices. It's really awkward and I wish they'd just let your new choices lock.

I haven't used the function yet myself, so the following is just my understanding of how it works. Collected totems/clues persist if you go back in the game through this but are wiped (though Bonus Content is not) if you choose New Game. I believe you can jump around and fill out the item list through this function without having to replay from the first thing you missed on, but nobody clarified when I asked in the spoiler thread, so don't quote me on that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
finished my first runthrough. Quite a rollercoaster. At first I thought everything had gone terribly wrong, with
Jessica in the mine
and
Matt getting o the wrong end of some angry deer
. Things were looking up and I actually thought maybe
I'd bring them all home alive - Jessica was alive, so maybe Matt survived the fall too?
But then it all went horribly wrong.
ashley was quite a shock, and then Mike didn't make it out of the house alive.

A fun romp, and I found enough clues that I'm probably not going to go looking for all of them again, but I'll definitely play through again. Not sure whether to start from the beginning, or from the chapter from my first death
Matt. Wondering either not attacking the deer might get me through, or at least not messing up the QTE on the drop down
. starting at the halfway point would be more efficient, but I'm also tempted to start earlier to try a couple of different things out.
maybe being a dick with the binoculars to show Matt what is going on, and I want to be nicer to jessica as I think pushing her in the river was too dickish
. Also out of morbid curiosity I wonder what happens if
you select to save Josh on the Saw machine. I'm guessing it'll be unfailable eg the points will fail and then both Chris will feel bad and Ashley will hate him :p

My only small negative is that you can lose a lot in a very small window without much to avoid it.
Ashley literally just opened the wrong box which seems harsh, it could have been jessica in there. Mike seemed to die just because Sam didn't stay still once, and Matt I just missed one QTE prompt. That in particular was annoying - one failure in a QTE chain shouldn't kill you. The chases seem to give you a few chances to make mistakes in that regard

Not sure about the 'don't move!' thing. Many times it was really tense, especially towards the end, but I think at least once i got a false failure and was really heavily punished for it. Does the fake blue light illustrate the movement the game is detecting? Because on this occasion it kept drifting down slowly and I definitely wasn't doing that. I tried tilting slightly up to keep the blue light in the frame, but then it gave me a red mark as though it had dropped out of the bottom of the frame.

got a decent number of trophies so I might do one more

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I haven't tried it myself but apparently if you mess up a QTE, you should just quickly close the app and if it didn't save yet, you can redo it. Otherwise, if it's saved, it's saved. That doesn't change on later playthroughs.

(Function spoilers; you want this info but others might not.)
When replaying, there's a menu that lets you play from certain episodes/chapters on to redo choices. The really shitty part of this that seems to be frustrating a lot of people, me included, is that this function is locked to the choices of your latest full New Game playthrough. So if you beat the game and then start from episode 3 and get to episode 5, then mess up something in episode 5, then (whether you continue from there and finish the game or do this immediately) if you go to the episodes menu and choose episode 5 it will be the original playthrough's chapter 5 with your original choices. It's really awkward and I wish they'd just let your new choices lock.

I haven't used the function yet myself, so the following is just my understanding of how it works. Collected totems/clues persist if you go back in the game through this but are wiped (though Bonus Content is not) if you choose New Game. I believe you can jump around and fill out the item list through this function without having to replay from the first thing you missed on, but nobody clarified when I asked in the spoiler thread, so don't quote me on that.

I might be reading it wrong, but that functional spoiler sounds ok to me?
presumably if you're jumping in at a particular chapter it is because you want to try something specific. You aren't looking to necessarily play through the entire story at that point. So if you do chapter 3, make the changes you wanted, then mess up chapter 4, you can just jump out and start again with chapter 4.

BTA

I might be reading it wrong, but that functional spoiler sounds ok to me?
presumably if you're jumping in at a particular chapter it is because you want to try something specific. You aren't looking to necessarily play through the entire story at that point. So if you do chapter 3, make the changes you wanted, then mess up chapter 4, you can just jump out and start again with chapter 4.

Right, but say
the thing you want to change and see affect the rest of the game is something early on, like in my case: Jessica dying. If you want to see that carry through, you absolutely cannot mess up past that point, even more so than playing the game normally, which feels backwards. There's also a few cases where even if you're not aiming to completely replay the game, things can take several chapters to pay off (ex: there's a number of items Sam can see a couple chapters later that we missed due to her getting caught) so if you mess up something else you set up earlier that you wanted to see in the intervening chapter, you'll be replaying more than you'd have to otherwise.

oatmeal

Banned
Hit chapter 8

I'm super impressed with how this game keeps plussing itself. So far it's all been escalation.

Hoping the last couple holes are plugged well and it will be the perfect experience for me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I loved the pacing and how it was drip feeding you things. First part of the game was just super tense generally with you not knowing what to expect, then the different clues start piecing together in your head and you start second guessing where things are going. then the last section ramps everything up.

I haven't found the totems hugely useful though. Eg the guidance ones give you such a small amount of info you can't really use them I context easily.

Top Bottom