• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Up:] neoGAF GOTY 2017 |OT| Voting closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
ARMS.
uronsanhttpsj.gifs.conmuzo.gif

https://abload.de/img/uronsanhttpsj.gifs.conmuzo.gif

One of the most unique Nintendo games in years, it is also a unique fighting game in a genre dominated by complacency. From 1 to 4 players on line or not. With traditional or the freedom of motion controls, even when on the go. ARMS is the game that truly uses the Switch unique features as a platform.

What distinguishes it, is how presents a more physical way to interact with a fighting game, raising the skill level due to execution and the precision it requires over simply just pressing a set of buttons and memorizing key combinations. This is important for a fighter that is easy to grasp and understand. For this reason the saying: "easy to understand but hard to master" truely applies to it.
  • Assassins Creed Origins. In the end it seems Ubisoft did fullfil the "Watch Dogs Promise", at least technically speaking. Would say this game impressed more than that infamous E3 demo. The amount of detail at this graphical fidelity is umprecedent.
  • Zelda Breath of the Wild. The first "true Zelda game" since 1986 has finally landed. Amazing that it can go head to head or even surpass other games in the same genre even when Nintendo targetted Wii U specs.
  • RE 7 VR. Also known as VR first most have game, but with or without a HMD's inmersions, a fantastic game still and a necessary change of pace for the series.
  • Yooka Laylee. For those that apreciated Banjo Kazzoie and Rare in the N64 days this game brings some sweet memories and is almost the Banjo succesor they always wanted.
  • The Evil Within 2. Think it lacks some of the magic of the first one and dare not to compare it to Resident Evil 4. Still we should be thankful we still can get this type of game. Rest in Peace Visceral and Dead Space.
  • Snake Pass. This is like poison to the conformist gamer. A game in an stablished genre with an interesting navigation method and a non traditional control setup.
  • A Hat in Time. An amalgaman of inspirations that breaths it's own charm. By looking at the names on this list i would say it has been a great year for 3D platformers.
  • Mario Odyssey. A game enjoyable by a wide spectrun of players, from the inexpirinced novice to the expert speed runner. A simple control scheme and move set with lots of depth and possibilities. It fills that pleasent void left by 3D World.
  • Samus Returns. Sakamoto "friendly critics" are drowning in their own bilis. But no hard feelings... right friends?
  • Rime. Technical kirks aside, i think Tequila mostly delivered on their promises: A playable work of art.
ALL THE CREDIT IN THE WORLD TO MR. CORMACK. You outdid yourself with this one, single handely making all the work to keep this tradition alive. Thank you.

Manus

Awesome thanks for doing this. Just voted. My top three.

Divinity: Original Sin II
Persona 5
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Amazing year for RPGs.

Lincoln6Vacano

Neo Member
this year was a great year, but I also had no trouble coming up with a list:

1. Persona 5
2. Horizon: Zero Dawn
3. Mario Odyssey
4. Zelda: BotW
5. Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA

Haven't had this much fun in years!

TaroYamada

I included Mania and Yakuza 0 among others. Didn't get a chance to play anything Switch this year but Zelda looked solid and I think Mario looked really great.

RDNinja

Neo Member
Vote is in!

Persona 5, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Metroid Samus Returns let's go!

Amazing year for games actually.

Gek54

A game I want to vote for isn't listed
I tried to include the most common games. But if there is one you really want added let me know. It takes an hour to refresh after being added. I'll be honest I don't have a huge amount of spare time and this took some effort on it's own. As a result there will definitely be titles that I've missed off. So just drop them here or PM me and I'll add them.

Can you add Spintires: Mudrunner ?

JP

I really close year for me, in a positive way rather than a negative way. For me, it was very difficult to choose between most of the games that I voted for.

Some of my favourites this year were, in alphabetical order, Cuphead, Hellblade: Seunua's Sacrifice, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition, Super Mario Odyssey, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy...and about five other games.They've all been very different types of games too.

I may surprise people that The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild isn't on my list somewhere but I just don't get on with that damn game, which has annoyed the hell out of me because I can't explain how much I want to enjoy it like other people do. I think it may just be best that I leave it for a year or two until it's completely out of my system and start again complete fresh to the experience.

Keihart

I wanted to vote Rainbow Six Siege Year 2, but there wasn't an option in the survey. It truly is in my opinion the best multi-player shooter of the decade that almost no one saw coming and might heavily influence the genre in the years to come, in big part it's success is due to it's support and not only to how great the concept is. Constant content updates, with a seasonal format, no segregation of player base and big balance and bug patches mid season to keep the meta always evolving.

LordPezix

Went to vote and realized I haven't played a single 2017 title,.. Like how did I miss all of this, guess I'm still messing around with them old games lol

philm87

1 - Horizon Zero Dawn
2 - Mass Effect Andromeda
3 - Middle Earth Shadow of War
4 - Resident Evil 7
5 - GT Sport

Edit: Would add Prey somewhere high up that list having just completed it. Amazing bargain to pick up for £10.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom