• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming games with the best graphics

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Man Horizon looks insane. That's definitely my pick. Maybe GoW could end up beating it, but we haven't seen enough of that game yet.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Something PS4 exclusive I guess. Either Horizon or GoW4. Of latter we haven't seen much so far but given that the series has been a graphical show piece so far every time my guess is that 4 will be no different.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe I'm an old idiot, but that sort of bugs me when the graphics are implying such realism - an odd little decision like that really breaks my suspension of disbelief.

The reason it bugs you is also the exact reason it exists. In lots of "realistic" games where your character does platforming on "realistic" environments but is limited in many ways (unlike Assassin's Creed), a good number of developers rely on this technique to guide the players so they aren't trying to climb everything that looks climbable but wasn't coded as such. Naughty Dog does this. DICE did this a lot with Mirror's Edge Catalyst, both with Runner's Vision (which is essentially this idea taken to the max) and without it active. It bothers me, too, and makes me wonder if "real-world platforming" is a great idea if you end up having to break the realism with signposting. I forgive it more in Horizon because it personally seems much more "fantasy" than the other games I mentioned.

KKRT00

I would actually add this gallery:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/135887904@N06/31974934912/in/album-72157659992241622/

Details do not break even in 5K!

32007982605_11cd9660a5_o.jpg

31856239972_d481bce530_o.jpg

----
Now imagine all this micro detail in scenarios like this:
https://a.pomf.cat/qrqhia.webm
https://a.pomf.cat/jfston.webm

KZObsessed

Horizon Zero Dawn is the best looking open world game.

God of War the best looking non open world.

There's also Detroit and Days Gone that look incredible but they may be 2018.

We've seen no actual gameplay footage of Death Stranding and that's probably 2019.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy will probably be a contender as well.

Wow. That looks amazing!!!!

But for real though, all those games in this thread are nice, but i dont think nan one of them comes close to star citizen. You can actually see the details with your own eyes since its playable unlike the other unreleased games named in this thread. Not to mention star citizen is pc exclusive, made for high end computers so they dont scale back for consoles.

Zoom in so close, you can see the viens and real time reflections on a dudes eyeballs and you still can barely see any pixels even when zoomed in so close. That shit is unreal.

Man, if i wasnt at work, Id shut this shit down with gifs and pics of star citizen

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Isn't it a bit dumb to do a graphic comparison between games not released yet?
Isn't that just setting ourselves up for dissapointment when the game inevitably gets downgraded to work on the hardware it targets?

The only ones I comfortably would elect to mention in a thread like this would be games that is carried by the artstyle (like cuphead) and isn't as demanding from the machines or games which we can play as it gets developed (star citizen, would be extremly surprised if this PC exclusive gets downgraded from what anyone can play at the moment if they purchase in).

Also what's up with people nominating death stranding? Have we seen ANY gameplay from that game at all? That is like nominating Cyberpunk 2070 on the merits of the 2013 trailer.

Isn't it a bit dumb to do a graphic comparison between games not released yet?
Isn't that just setting ourselves up for dissapointment when the game inevitably gets downgraded to work on the hardware it targets?

The only ones I'd comfortably would elect to mention in a thread like this would be games that is carried by the artstyle (like cuphead) and isn't as demanding from the machines or games which we can play as it gets developed (star citizen, would be extremly surprised if this PC exclusive gets downgraded from what anyone can play at the moment if they purchase in).

Also what's up with people nominating death stranding? Have we seen ANY gameplay from that game at all? That is like nominating Cyberpunk 2070 on the merits of the 2013 trailer.

death stranding will absolutely not look like that during gameplay, so yeah i dont understand why people are nominating it. id say horizon has a shot at being an accurate representation of gameplay visuals tho

BigDes

It's in game, versus flashing icons. So it's less immersion breaking in that way. Good conveyance is still important sometimes.

If they were animals then yes it would bother me

But these are machinese, so I just head canon it as the original design of these robots had those handles for easy maintenance access.

Ran rp

Details do not break even in 5K!

The first thing I click on lol

svcjwx.jpg

Wow. That looks amazing!!!!

But for real though, all those games in this thread are nice, but i dont think nan one of them comes close to star citizen. You can actually see the details with your own eyes since its playable unlike the other unreleased games named in this thread. Not to mention star citizen is pc exclusive, made for high end computers so they dont scale back for consoles.

Zoom in so close, you can see the viens and real time reflections on a dudes eyeballs and you still can barely see any pixels even when zoomed in so close. That shit is unreal.

Man, if i wasnt at work, Id shut this shit down with gifs and pics of star citizen

no thanks

Wonko_C

For me Cuphead and Sonic Mania are the best looking games coming out.I'm really happy to see 2D games that don't look like they were made with flash.

cuphead_steamboat_3.0.gif

Jesus, the chromatic aberration in that picture made my eyes irritated and watery as if I was cutting an onion. I'm not kidding.

Tyaren

Is anyone else bothered slightly by those highly visible yellow handholds, which just so happen to be strategically placed?

Maybe I'm an old idiot, but that sort of bugs me when the graphics are implying such realism - an odd little decision like that really breaks my suspension of disbelief.

These are mechanical beings, someone/something must have built them. Why wouldn't whoever built them also place platforms and handholds there to climb it? The purpose of these giant creatures seems to be freely movable observation platforms. We will probably learn in the game how these creatures came to exist. If they were man-made, it all makes pefect sense.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Horizon is the one that has me most impressed so far. Hope it looks great on Pro on a 1080p set.

bosseye

Yeah, I'll wait until the games are actually released before judging the visuals.

I feel like we've been here before, drooling over graphics that don't make the final cut.....
Ad nauseam

Zemm

Battlefront 2 will be this year right? If so, i'm going to predict that ends up being the best looking game this year.

Crayon

Jesus, the chromatic aberration in that picture made my eyes irritated and watery as if I was cutting an onion. I'm not kidding.

I feel the same. I usually don't mind it because it's implemented at the edges of the image but there it was full screen. I hope they tone that down.

Damn I forgot about start citizen. Looking amazing.

Holy...

When did this game start looking so good?

It started at E3. Lighting, textures, and materials started improving a lot then. They also recently got rid of some weird fence glitch that caused it to flicker on the Nurburgring. Each time they show it off the game seems to look a good bit better than it did the time before

gts3dkss9.gif

gts42zsj8.gif

LordKasual

Banned
Horizon: Zero Dawn

MadAdmiredKitten.gif

HarmfulCalmAbyssiniancat.gif

This game looks fucking godlike, jesus christ

If it actually releases looking this good (and at a stable FPS) then...like seriously

A game like FFXV looking as good as it does on console is amazing but this is just insane.

I just...still cant get over the silly mechanical wildlife world where the heroine uses...a compound bow....

She's gonna at least get a lightsaber at some point...? Or at least a handgun?

poodaddy

Assuming it's not in development hell and will ever actually be finished the only true answer is Star Citizen. The nature of its multi studio international development issues is concerning to say the least. As far as art style Cuphead is easily the most interesting looking game I've ever seen.

Van Bur3n

The games that show what it's actually going to look like during gameplay.

So...a sparse few at the moment. And that's not even taking into consideration the inevitable downgrades.

Yarbskoo

Most of these games probably won't look as good as those gifs.

A few of them probably won't even release this year.

Supergiant Games (Transistor, Bastion) makes games with strong aesthetics. I love the thematic fantasy gypsy carnival-card-circus tone of this. It has some card based battle arena, some Pan, some day of the dead. There are many great influences and it's brought to life with hand drawn animations evoking the same feeling of strong mesmerizing style I felt playing The Banner Saga.
This right here is a lot more visually immersive than a lot of photorealistic games. When I play games that look very photo realistic my mind looks for the flaws and it becomes annoyed with flaws. When I play artistic games like this I am much better at accepting everything and let myself be immersed in the world. That is how I feel watching CGI, Animation, Anime and so on as well.

Top Bottom