• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Vita Games (200+ Upcoming games in ENGLISH) || 2016 Edition ||

18-Volt

I'll reserve judgement until I see the full lineup, but I'm definitely happy about physical Shantae and the Touhou game.

EDIT

Looks like were getting Akibas Beat. No surprise there

http://gematsu.com/2016/06/akibas-beat-domain-registered-xseed-games

"Only Multiplat titles". I think the guy on reddit seems to be true after all. Fate/Extella and Akiba's Beat could be XSEED's remaining two announcements. If it's really true, I really don't understand why XSEED would abandon Vita so fast. I mean they have released their last PSP title just 7 months ago.

"Only Multiplat titles". I think the guy on reddit seems to be true after all. Fate/Extella and Akiba's Beat could be XSEED's remaining two announcements. If it's really true, I really don't understand why XSEED would abandon Vita so fast. I mean they have released their last PSP title just 7 months ago.

It seems to be pointing towards that, but let's wait for now.

SK on Steam is doing really well, so other Marvelous games could still come together with Steam ports later.

Saphirax

I'll just keep hoping that Falcom decided to port Tokyo Xanadu to ps4 or something.

Jayne

this game...THIS GAME...

Cj-xg9YWkAAO7sU.jpg
Gosh that looks gorgeous. I was up in the air about whether to get it on ps4 or Vita, but I think this has sealed the deal for me. Vita looks to be where it's at.

Well, absolutely devastated that that chap on reddit seems to be right. Akiba's Beat seems a shoe-in for the "announced the same time as Japan" title.

I also don't think Falcom will do a Tokyo Xanadu PS4 port. XSEED in the past have said it's difficult enough getting them to insert already-done translations into a game sometimes if they're busy, let alone doing a port that'd pretty much solely be there for the west.

So yeah. Haven't given up hope completely, but it's rapidly slipping away. 5 whole games that look like they're getting skipped because they're Vita exclusive (Luminous Arc; Net High; Tokyo Xanadu; Uppers; Valkyrie Drive). Sighsighsigh.

Saphirax

Tom from XSEED (wyrdwad) actually posted on GAF again, we could still at least nicely ask for those games. I'll definitely try and get answers on their status or future possibility if they're not announced, XSEED has clearly said no to a number of games in the past.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1227205&page=3

I only know that they said they had no plans to bring Luminous Arc over on their FB page.

Uppers isn't out yet and I don't think they said anything about the rest.

I only know that they said they had no plans to bring Luminous Arc over on their FB page.
I haven't seen that but I already gave up on that game anyway :( Maybe Gaijinworks in 2019 lol

I am not worried at all about Tokyo Xanadu yet. I don't see why they would skip it completely. I have a feeling it'll be later as they're already working on three Falcom games at the moment though.

Tom from XSEED (wyrdwad) actually posted on GAF again, we could still at least nicely ask for those games. I'll definitely try and get answers on their status or future possibility if they're not announced, XSEED has clearly said no to a number of games in the past.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1227205&page=3

Not sure what we could do at this stage anyway, they'll have made up their mind about these games or not by now.

Announcements will come whenever they come, but it's just a bit of a crappy flux to be in. Especially with other companies continuing to bring the Vita exclusives even if it is with an obvious PC port down the line.

18-Volt

Uppers isn't out yet and I don't think they said anything about the rest.

Reddit guy said "the climate isn't fit right now for Uppers and Valkyrie Drive", but that doesn't sound like something someone from XSEED would say. If that's really true than XSEED will be my most hated publisher ever. I still haven't forgiven them for skipping Grand Knights History and Bakumatsu Rock.

If they really skip Luminous Arc over Akiba's Beat, they'd be the biggest jerks in the gaming world ever. They don't let anyone else to localize Marvelous games anymore and there is someone who's better at localizing Acquire games: Aksys. Looks like they're trying to find ANY PS4 games to localize. As I said million times before, PS4 is hurting handhelds.

Reddit guy said "the climate isn't fit right now for Uppers and Valkyrie Drive"

This is a quote taken out of context from an old interview. Ignore it.

They're talking about this which was before anything was even really known about Uppers.

So Uppers does have some elements in there that we will need to get a better look at to see how much of an issue it will be in the US. And Valkyrie Drive, pretty much the entire game is based on that kind of stuff. That's another one we're going to have to learn more about to see if it's even feasible to release in the West as they are. Because, if we have to edit them down too much or censor too much content, then, at that point, we have to consider if it's even worth doing. Because the fans that want the game, they want it uncensored, and censoring the content isn't going to appease the people that had no interest in buying it anyways.

If SK EV can come here, Uppers sure as hell would not be a problem. And neither would VD imo.
Can we save the drama until we actually know what they're announcing and what they're definitely skipping?

I will say though, I can see Uppers being skipped. I don't think it has a huge appeal in the west. But that's just me.

Quixzlizx

Reddit guy said "the climate isn't fit right now for Uppers and Valkyrie Drive", but that doesn't sound like something someone from XSEED would say. If that's really true than XSEED will be my most hated publisher ever. I still haven't forgiven them for skipping Grand Knights History and Bakumatsu Rock.

If they really skip Luminous Arc over Akiba's Beat, they'd be the biggest jerks in the gaming world ever. They don't let anyone else to localize Marvelous games anymore and there is someone who's better at localizing Acquire games: Aksys. Looks like they're trying to find ANY PS4 games to localize. As I said million times before, PS4 is hurting handhelds.

It's Vanillaware's fault we didn't get Grand Knights History. They were too busy working on Dragon's Crown to do the localization programming.

I also don't think Falcom will do a Tokyo Xanadu PS4 port. XSEED in the past have said it's difficult enough getting them to insert already-done translations into a game sometimes if they're busy, let alone doing a port that'd pretty much solely be there for the west.

Would a port only be for the West though? We're at the point now where PS4 versions of games are selling better than Vita versions, surely even a late port could find it's place over in Japan. Sure, it wouldn't sell nearly as much as it would if it had released together with the Vita version, but there's no way it wouldn't at least make it's port costs back several times over.

Would a port only be for the West though? We're at the point now where PS4 versions of games are selling better than Vita versions, surely even a late port could find it's place over in Japan. Sure, it wouldn't sell nearly as much as it would if it had released together with the Vita version, but there's no way it wouldn't at least make it's port costs back several times over.

I can't see them gaining much from the domestic market. It'd be a late port of a game on a console where they have no established fanbase from a line of consoles which they've never traditionally supported. It'd recoup costs I'm sure, but that's not really a high bar to aim for.

This is the same Falcom who had no problem delaying Ys 8 PS4 to get the Vita version out of the door sooner. I don't see any reason they would personally make the choice to port Tokyo Xanadu to PS4.

Prelude.

That couldn't be more far from the truth, especially considering that now they'd also have to deal with the PS4 Neo headaches, it's just a waste of money and time.
The cases of games selling better on PS4 are very specific and most of the time the presence of a PS3 version is what keeps people from buying the game on Vita.
People are way underestimating what it means to make a game for an "HD" console for a company like Falcom.

Let's remember that the game sold 3 times as much as they needed it to break even, there's no need for such a massive investment for literally no reason.

Falcom has never been resistant to third party ports. The Trails in the Sky games are on every platform in existence, Ys as well, and Xanadu Next was on the goddamn NGage. In the West even.

There is definitely a chance.

That couldn't be more far from the truth, especially considering that now they'd also have to deal with the PS4 Neo headaches, it's just a waste of money and time.
We really don't know anything about what PS4 Neo means for devs.

Prelude.

Falcom has never been resistant to third party ports. The Trails in the Sky games are on every platform in existence, Ys as well, and Xanadu Next was on the goddamn NGage. In the West even.

There's quite the difference between a game like Tokyo Xanadu and games even one single person, given enough time, could port in their free time.

We really don't know anything about what PS4 Neo means for devs.
We know it'll have requirements they have to meet.

That's different, though. If a 3rd party were doing it XSEED would have to negotiate with them, and seeing how they couldn't work out any deal with Kadokawa for the Evolution games, there's no guarantee it'd would for Tokyo Xanadu.

It would also mean licencing it twice - once for the PS4 version, once for the Vita version.

What I was saying is that I don't see Falcom porting it in order for XSEED to be able to release it for the west. The counter argument was that it wasn't just for the west, but domestically I still think that Falcom wouldn't have much to gain.

That's different, though. If a 3rd party were doing it XSEED would have to negotiate with them, and seeing how they couldn't work out any deal with Kadokawa for the Evolution games, there's no guarantee it'd would for Tokyo Xanadu.

It would also mean licencing it twice - once for the PS4 version, once for the Vita version.

What I was saying is that I don't see Falcom porting it in order for XSEED to be able to release it for the west. The counter argument was that it wasn't just for the west, but domestically I still think that Falcom wouldn't have much to gain.
That's not really how it always works though.

The Evo games are a mess because four different companies are involved who all own parts of the game. That's not usually the case and the licensing situation could be much much simpler for a straight port.

Do people think the Falcom president was lying when he said he's working on bringing the game to the west?

Prelude.

It's expensive, it requires a lot of their time (and it seems pretty clear they don't have a lot) and I bet it's pretty hard to convince them to give free reign to 3rd parties over the port for new games compared to 10yo 2D games nobody gives a shit about in terms of programming and stuff, like XSEED had with Trails in the Sky.

We don't know anything.
They have to sell the damn thing, it'll be like that.
And I mean, it's pretty clear Sony is dropping out of Japan, it's not like it matters over the long run, that market won't be their focus other than the occasional AAA game, anyway.

Vita exclusives might as well be dead until they actually announce one. And none of those game we're waiting on are getting any newer.
Who? XSEED? None of the Marvelous/Falcom exclusives are old enough to consider dead. Uppers is not out, Net High and VD came out 6 months ago, Toyko Xanadu 8, Luminour Arc (even though it'll be skipped because it's the most skippable and there's too much stuff) 10.
That's nothing for localization times, it took them a full year for Estival Versus which is part of a successful series that's also multiplatform.

At least give them enough time before going "Oh no, they're publishing Shantae, hence Tokyo Xanadu is dead. I read it on Reddit."

Who? XSEED? None of the Marvelous/Falcom exclusives are old enough to consider dead. Uppers is not out, Net High and VD came out 6 months ago, Toyko Xanadu 8, Luminour Arc (even though it'll be skipped because it's the most skippable and there's too much stuff) 10.
That's nothing for localization times, it took them a full year for Estival Versus which is part of a successful series that's also multiplatform.

At least give them enough time before going "Oh no, they're publishing Shantae, hence Tokyo Xanadu is dead. I read it on Reddit."

Estival Versus took a year but was announced well before then. With all the stuff from this week plus Akiba we have probably their entire slate for the next year. Can you see them announcing any of these game this time next year?

I just read about the rumored Neo requirements. Neo games would have to be 1080p minimum and run at a higher or the same framerate as the PS4 base version.

Yeah I'm sure that would be a huge problem and totally rules out a port

RIP Japanese devs

Prelude.

Estival Versus took a year but was announced well before then. With all the stuff from this week plus Akiba we have probably their entire slate for the next year. Can you see them announcing any of these game this time next year?
We're talking about the company that makes conferences for PC ports and announces new games on twitter, what gets announced "around" E3 is irrelevant.

Regarding the registration of those domains, they're not really helpful, it's just a way to secure the domain before others since there's a slight/big chance they'll do those games eventually. They registered Trails of Azure and Zero, didn't they? That shit ain't happening for a while. Fate/Extella? It's Marvelous so it's very, very likely.
Those games could be months from their actual announcement, they're not even out in japan.

I just read about the rumored Neo requirements. Neo games would have to be 1080p minimum and run at a higher or the same framerate as the PS4 base version.

Yeah I'm sure that would be a huge problem and totally rules out a port

RIP Japanese devs
It'll be fun to see your opinion in just a few years.

Shizuka

I think XSEED is going to skip all Vita exclusives and we'll end up having a switcheroo between NISA and XSEED. NISA is bringing Vita exclusives (albeit with Steam ports) while XSEED is mostly doing multiplatform releases. Tokyo Xanadu will be the biggest crime.

Prelude.

What do you think is going to happen? Japanese companies just stop making games? Every game will be for NX?
The PS4 alone can't sustain the market of small to medium games and Sony clearly doesn't need them. If Nintendo manages to shit out some decent console/handheld they'll be the last one to give smaller publishers a platform, otherwise they're just going full mobile, but for real this time.

Every japanese game is 1080p already on the base ps4

FFXV might be the exception, but it is also the exception in japanese budgets.
Every game will need a Neo mode.

When's the last time XSeed made a conference for Vita exclusives ports, or announced a Vita exclusive on Twitter?
The last time was probably EDF2. As for the conference, even though I don't see the point you're trying to make, it was mostly to show stuff about their already announced games and the only new announcements were pc ports.

The PS4 alone can't sustain the market of small to medium games and Sony clearly doesn't need them. If Nintendo manages to shit out some decent console/handheld they'll be the last one to give smaller publishers a platform, otherwise they're just going full mobile, but for real this time.
what does that have to do with the Neo though

Every game will need a Neo mode.
we already established that the rumored requirements are trivial to meet, unless you have more information you'd like to share.

That it was expensive enough before, now it'll be even more expensive since they have to take care of the Neo mode. You're fooling yourself if you think that doesn't require more work.
Neo isn't completely new architecture. It's pretty much just a more powerful GPU. It's really not as big of a deal as you think it is

PC games can run on tens or hundreds of different GPUs because they share the same architecture. I don't see PC dev going away because of that. There are even Japanese companies making PC games, imagine that!

Fdkn

That it was expensive enough before, now it'll be even more expensive since they have to take care of the Neo mode. You're fooling yourself if you think that doesn't require more work.

There is a direct compatibility mode, as every ps4 game already released will work on the neo the same way it works on the base ps4.

Neo mode is for enhancements.

Gvitor

I'll be crossing my fingers that it works for you as well.

There's also a way to break it out of stasis by holding down the power button for an extended of time, but I don't know exactly how it works.

Unfortunately none of that worked =( I left it charging the whole night (>12h), to no avail, stil no blinking lights, still can't power it on. The only response I get from the Vita is when I plug the charger in. Then it flashes the orange light once, fades away and doesn't flash it again unless I unplug it and plug it back in.

I tried holding the power button for over 30seconds, also to no avail...

The last time was probably EDF2. As for the conference, even though I don't see the point you're trying to make, it was mostly to show stuff about their already announced games and the only new announcements were pc ports.

My point is basically that until they announce another Vita exclusive there's no good reason to believe that they ever will. The odds just aren't there.

Prelude.

Neo isn't completely new architecture. It's pretty much just a more powerful GPU. It's really not as big of a deal as you think it is

PC games can run on tens or hundreds of different GPUs because they share the same architecture. I don't see PC dev going away because of that
Oh yeah, the notoriously good pc ports from japan. Clearly they don't have any issue porting their console games to hundreds of different configurations.
There is a direct compatibility mode, as every ps4 game already released will work on the neo the same way it works on the base ps4.

Neo mode is for enhancements.
It's still more work.
Is it expensive making games on PS4 if you're a small publisher? Yes. Ok, now you also have to make an enhanced version of the same game running on different hw and obviously you can't release a broken pos or it won't pass certification so you have to double the QA process. I can see this totally work for a market where having 10 years old hw is what makes you sell the most. I'm sure the PS4 will be the new PS2.
My point is basically that until they announce another Vita exclusive there's no good reason to believe that they ever will. The odds just aren't there.
Well, I don't agree with that kind of reasoning since it can be applied to anything, but ok.

Fdkn

It's still more work.
Is it expensive making games on PS4 if you're a small publisher? Yes. Ok, now you also have to make an enhanced version of the same game running on different hw and obviously you can't release a broken pos or it won't pass certification so you have to double the QA process. I can see this totally work for a market where having 10 years old hw is what makes you sell the most. I'm sure the PS4 will be the new PS2.

But you don't need to make an enhanced version because your small budget game already checks the requirements of PS4 Neo. That's the whole point we're making

Oh yeah, the notoriously good pc ports from japan. Clearly they don't have any issue porting their console games to hundreds of different configurations.

Arguing with you is really exhausting, so I'll just stop here.

We'll see how things turn out soon enough.

RK128

I honestly wouldn't worry about Uppers or Valkary Drive; both are from a studio that made XSEED a lot of money thanks to the SK series, so they will come over I feel. Just might come over this Fall or sometime early 2017.

As for XSEED's over Vita exclusives? Not really sure, but they are a great publisher so I doubt they will never bring them over. I think they are working on PS4 versions of those games like Tokyo Xanadu and Luminous Arc. Then, when progress on those ports is far enough, they will announced localization plans for PS Vita and PS4.

.....Or, I'm just being naive and being to positive with my thinking. Either way, we will get Uppers and Valkary Drive in the future but the other ones locked in Japan might be later localizations.

Prelude.

But you don't need to make an enhanced version because your small budget game already checks the requirements of PS4 Neo. That's the whole point we're making
I don't think you'll be able to release a game that complies with both modes, you'll probably need to do "something" significant to take advantage of the higher specs or nobody would do it.

Arguing with you is really exhausting, so I'll just stop here.

We'll see how things turn out soon enough.
It's also pretty exhausting seeing this kind of pessimist vicious circle of confirmation bias where some people keep repeating themselves until everyone starts accepting their opinion as truth (until they get proved wrong so everything's fine for a few days until it starts again) in this thread all the time.

But, yeah, even though the struggles of japanese devs into porting games to pc and developing for modern consoles are plain as day, you don't have to agree, it's my opinion.

I think they are working on PS4 versions of those games like Tokyo Xanadu and Luminous Arc. Then, when progress on those ports is far enough, they will announced localization plans for PS Vita and PS4.

See what I mean? This is exactly it.

Top Bottom