• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UPDATE: Hackers are selling stolen Xbox Live accounts on foreign auction sites. (!)

Zoe

Certainly for PSN (in the UK ay least) that isn't the case at all. Sony specifically say that they aren't responsible if your account is compromised and won't issue refunds. I've had it happen some time ago on PSN and got nothing back.

Someone posted earlier it's in the TOS that MS will only guarantee a refund of the lost Live time.

I can understand it to a certain point. Fraud is typically handled on the customer's behalf from the bank side, not the store side.

epmode

I posted this in the last thread about XBL hacking but ill repost here:

My account was hacked. I noticed it immediately and called Microsoft. Before you ask, my password was not weak. It was a string of multiple character types that would be impossible to guess, and I know a phishing scam when I see one so something else far worse is at play here.

So after a 1 month wait, I was notified by Microsoft that I violated the terms of service by using my first initial instead of my full name when setting up my account. Essentially I have no recourse, and all of my XBL content is gone. Everything - GONE.

Yea, fuck Microsoft. I hope this blows up in their face in the worst possible way.
Such a terrible company.

I guess the only way you're going to get a real resolution is to become very visible. All you have to do is make a popular Youtube channel or get a job at Game Informer! Lawsuits work too!

Wow, what a bunch of wankers. Talk about using the letter of the(ir) law to screw someone over.

I mean god... the horror of only using a single initial. smh.

On that note, I just removed my paypal details. Not sure what I was thinking having them there in the first place, especially with all the horror stories you get with paypal anyway.

Mxrz

So after a 1 month wait, I was notified by Microsoft that I violated the terms of service by using my first initial instead of my full name when setting up my account. Essentially I have no recourse, and all of my XBL content is gone. Everything - GONE.

Seriously? Sheesh. I do this for a lot of things online, too. I guess I'm fucked if this is the new standard.

FStop7

Banned

My account was hacked. I noticed it immediately and called Microsoft. Before you ask, my password was not weak. It was a string of multiple character types that would be impossible to guess, and I know a phishing scam when I see one so something else far worse is at play here.

Yea, fuck Microsoft. I hope this blows up in their face in the worst possible way.

what.

Can't wait to hear Stepto try and explain this away, not that he'd bother.

Yagharek

How the hell isnt there more of a stink kicked up in the game media over this? Microsoft are essentially doing an EA and stealing people's games. Ugh, such a disgusting company. Not buying in to their systems ever again. At least most of the stuff Ive bought on Live has worn out its welcome/appeal to me. Still, would prefer to be able to recoup some of the costs.

what.

Can't wait to hear Stepto try and explain this away, not that he'd bother.

Tell him youre a games journalist and it will be fixed immediately.

FStop7

Banned
If this issue isn't already blown up by the time E3 rolls around I have half a mind to print out a few dozen copies of peoples' posts containing stories of unresolved account hackings, go find the Microsoft guys as they cruise the show floor, and confront them on camera by reading them out loud and asking them to help, Michael Moore style. And if they ignore me or run away then I'll take that footage along with the stack of stories and give copies to the local news stations that always show up to cover E3 as well as post it all on Youtube. I would start with PistolPete's story. What's better than having your account hacked, you ask? Having a smug customer support representative tell you that you've been permanently cut off from the material you already bought and paid for because you used your first initial.

Banned
If this issue isn't already blown up by the time E3 rolls around I have half a mind to print out a few dozen copies of peoples' posts containing stories of unresolved account hackings, go find the Microsoft guys as they cruise the show floor, and confront them on camera by reading them out loud and asking them to help, Michael Moore style. And if they ignore me or run away then I'll take that footage along with the stack of stories and give copies to the local news stations that always show up to cover E3 as well as post it all on Youtube. I would start with PistolPete's story. What's better than having your account hacked, you ask? Having a smug customer support representative tell you that you've been permanently cut off from the material you already bought and paid for because you used your first initial.

A few dozen is not something that will make anyone notice. I can find that many PSN hacked accounts in a few google searches.

Zabka

I have a lot of clients with hotmail accounts for personal use and a whole bunch of them have had their accounts hijacked and used for spam (rock hard wang pills mostly). Is there anyone with an xbox live account that's been hacked but doesn't use a hotmail/live address or their Live ID? Just curious, I changed mine to a different email address a long time ago.

undecided

I have a lot of clients with hotmail accounts for personal use and a whole bunch of them have had their accounts hijacked and used for spam (rock hard wang pills mostly). Is there anyone with an xbox live account that's been hacked but doesn't use a hotmail/live address or their Live ID? Just curious, I changed mine to a different email address a long time ago.

I used a gmail address and was hacked.

lockload

gmail accounts have been getting hijacked a lot too and most people dont realise it until their account gets flagged for spamming. it's a huge problem right now.

Its not the email account type its the password strength or usage of the same password on multiple services.

Anyway,

Im amazed xbox can store people card and not as for the security code at time of purchase

This should be the BASIC level of security to protect unaithorised payments

Fair enough somehow they got through the password on the account but still requiring the security code from the back of the card at time of MS point purchase for stored cards would make this issue a lot less worse

Certainly for PSN (in the UK ay least) that isn't the case at all. Sony specifically say that they aren't responsible if your account is compromised and won't issue refunds. I've had it happen some time ago on PSN and got nothing back.

Indeed, someone on here had his account hacked and he lost his account and all the content associated with the account when he claimed the money back from his bank as Sony refused to accept that his account was compromised.

But hey ho...M$ are the evil company who have their customers by the balls.

slidewinder, explain yourself.

Pistolpete, that doesn't right at all. I suggest calling back and demanding they unlock your account and refund any monies stolen or you'll take the matter further - i.e - through a small claims court. Can you/anyone find that clause in the TOS as I haven't been able to find it.

Anyway, need to sleep...

contact the BBB immediately.

Old? Microsoft Refunds Money Lost in Xbox Live Phishing Scam, Promises Better Customer Service.

http://kotaku.com/5873877/microsoft...hishing-scam-promises-better-customer-service

Microsoft said it has intervened to restore the Xbox Live account of a customer hit by an overseas phishing scam, and refunded all unauthorized charges the scammers were able to make as her complaint got lost in customer support and was never properly locked down.

Further, a Microsoft spokesman tells Kotaku that the company is reviewing its procedures in light of this incident, another embarrassing manifestation of a phishing crime wave that has snagged ordinary users and even journalists.

"The online safety of Xbox Live members remains of the utmost importance, which is why we consistently take measures to protect Xbox Live against ever-changing threats," the company said in a statement. "However, we are aware that a handful of customers have experienced problems getting their accounts restored once they've reported an issue. We are working directly with those customers to restore their accounts as soon as possible and are reviewing our processes to ensure a positive customer support experience."

Microsoft went on to say that "While we do not ordinarily comment on specific cases, Microsoft can confirm that the account in question has been reinstated to its rightful owner and all unauthorized charges are being refunded in full." The victim in question said she had lost $300 from her PayPal account to the thieves as her complaint was being mishandled.

The company repeated its assurances "that there has been no breach to the security of our Xbox LIVE service," which is fine to hear but it misses the larger point that customers really care about: there still is a way whereby someone's account gets broken into and plundered for Microsoft points or downloadable content, which is then sold on auction sites.

It's a delicate message, but in order to be phished, the information used to break into the account typically comes from a third party, like a compromised web site where the victim uses the same login and password. Microsoft doesn't want to blame the victim, and neither do we. But it would be as good a time as any to remind folks to change their passwords, and perhaps use something that is unique to Xbox Live, so that a phisher who uncovers your email address and password because of another site's bad security can't use the same login and password on Xbox Live. Really, it's a good policy to have a unique password for any site that stores your credit card information. It's a pain in the ass, but it's the only way to be sure.

Grecco

Your account was banned because yu used your first innitial when you signed up? Do you have the email with the text because this is really bizarre.

Wait, what?!? I mean, I handle cases like this everyday*, but we just disable the account, refer to the Terms of Service, and say "Come into compliance with the terms and we'll re-enable your account."

What I'm saying is that PistolPete's situation is probably in the Terms of Service, but an outright ban for a one-time violation is extreme. Let's be honest here, no one actually READS the Terms of Service, which is why everyone should get one chance to be made aware of violations and come into compliance.

*Not for Microsoft

Yagharek

Sticking with the phishing line I see...

Phase 1 of Microsoft failure mitigation policy:

Deny everything. Blame it all on User Error.

Phase 2:

Claim they are all "isolated incidents".

Phase 3:

Enact $1,000,000,000 damage control fund

Akkad

Banned
Phase 1 of Microsoft failure mitigation policy:

Deny everything. Blame it all on User Error.

Phase 2:

Claim they are all "isolated incidents".

Phase 3:

Enact $1,000,000,000 damage control fund

I'm pretty sure Phase 1 is having infamous chris and speedymanic do damage control.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Sticking with the phishing line I see...

here's my theory

• at some point a hacker has acquired your Live ID username and password. (phishing scams? leaked databases with people using the same password? guessing? people at Microsoft selling it to them? who knows)
  • they download your profile to an xbox and then back it up onto a USB key setting it to "never prompt for a password"
  • effectively they copied your profile with a master key because even if you change you Live ID password the account will automatically sign-in (this was apparently fixed in the Fall 2011 update but there was a 2 year window where it worked)
  • as someone else said in this thread they probably just sit on thousands of these compromised profiles and randomly check for a credit card or points. At which point they buy things that have a real world value like Fifa cards and dump the account.

I don't know if that's it but the thing about having you profile automatically sign-in even if you change you Live ID should throw up some red flags. The hacker only needs to know your login details for that moment in time and up until the Fall 2011 update there was nothing you could do about it. You wouldn't even know you profile had been copied.

I thought it was interesting to note that on the profile protection page my account has been associated with 6 different xboxes (I own 1 and I had 1 break so let's say 4 strangers) and it all happened after the 2.0.9199.0 dashboard update that introduced USB storage.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34052441&postcount=420
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34052732&postcount=425

without context I have no idea what this information means. It could be nothing or it could mean my profile was download to 4 xboxes I don't own.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I thought it was interesting to note that on the profile protection page my account has been associated with 6 different xboxes (I own 1 and I had 1 break so let's say 4 strangers) and it all happened after the 2.0.9199.0 dashboard update that introduced USB storage.

without context I have no idea what this information means. It could be nothing or it could mean my profile was download to 4 xboxes I don't own.

Your theory makes 100% sense. The point of it is not HOW your account is compromised, but the fact that there's no protection against it being compromised, and once it's compromised you have nothing you can do.

I just would like to add that, apparently, logging through either Games for Windows Live or through a Browser on the xbox marketplace website counts as a new "console" for the "360 profile protection" page.

So yes, your gamertag could have been downloaded and logged in through 4 different XBoxes. Or you could just have played two "games for windows" games and logged on the XBox marketplace website on two different windows installs/computers. Case in point: Yesterday I had a "1/6/2012" console. I just logged to the marketplace website and the "1/6/2012" console is gone and, in it's place, there's a "1/7/2012" console.

As you said, without more information, that page is useless.

epmode

I checked the site and it shows that my profile has visited 16 consoles which isn't even close to the truth. And yeah, the site is so vague, I have no idea what it means.

At least my credit card has been removed and I have 0 points!

Salaadin

The profile protection page seems to list any GFWL logins, XBL logins, and PC logins as separate "consoles" so you might want to try matching up the "last visted" dates with any time you ever signed in to Xbox Live...whether it was on an actual Xbox 360 or not. XBL has an iOS/android app now too, doesnt it? I wouldnt be surprised if that page listed a phone login as a console too.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
That must be it. Mystery solved!

yeah, I guess that explains my account page. I've been trying to think of all the places I've used my account and it's probably about right.

Why it says "previous console" for every entry though is beyond me. I don't think that page could be more unhelpful if it tried.

dragonknight337

Neo Member

I had someone buy a 4000 and a 6000 MSP point pack on my account last night, cannot even describe mfw the gmail notifier popped up the receipts from paypal. Or my face when someone tried to add "mlbabybaby@yahoo.cn" as an alternate account to my Windows Live ID. Declined clearly. >_>

Went to Live's site immediately and read the preventative measures; ended up removing my paypal from Live, changing my password for WinLiveID, the security questions, and requiring a redownload of my GT/the new password to even use my GT, like they say here. When I logged into live, I got a notification that my profile had been downloaded on another console.

Then marked the charges as unauthorized on paypal, and they are investigating... I don't know if I should also do it with my bank, I know they didn't get on my PayPal though.

Then finally called XBL support. After they verified who I was, they did suspend my account immediately (thankfully, unlike Susan T), asked if I had been on any suspicious sites (I haven't) and then said the whole it could take up to 30 days to finish the unauthorised access investigation.

okay.jpg

All I can say is thank god I did have it set to my gmail, because they probably would have changed all the passwords/security questions and took the whole thing over before I got to it.

Edit: I called MS to check on the UAI, since I still could login to the site. The CSR told me it was okay, and that as long as I couldnt log . She did say that they were working on these cases faster and it should only be 15 business days at most, rather than the 30 I was originally told, and that the charges would be resolved even faster than that. She was right about that, paypal reversed both charges to my card not an hour ago! So there's one thing down.

Something amuses me about Kotaku talking about users having their passwords exposed by hacked websites...
Haha, yeah. Gawker's shitty security and attitude towards it and their users may very well be the cause for a chunk of these hijacks. No surprise that they don't know about the existence of two-step verification, instead suggesting its the users who should be addressing Microsoft's flawed security. Whole news post toes the Microsoft PR line.

Zoe

There have been some updates from Lady Elysium. First of all, she's starting to compile other people's stories, so get in touch with her if you want to get on her site. Speaking of which, she's moved it to http://www.hackedonxbox.com/

I also thought this was odd:
Microsoft DID refund me 100% yesterday..  Until they took $81.08 from my bank account today. The weird part of this is the original description and the trans. type, they do not match the 5 other  transactions over the last few days. Also my PayPal account is not showing an deductions. However the ‘uncategorized’ labeling tells me it is a completed deduction from my account and not something that is pending. I am baffled at this because my PayPal account has been unlinked from my Xbox account, my PayPal email address and password have also been changed and I removed my bank from my PayPal account! My bank account log-in details too have been changed. This charge makes absolutely no sense to anyone, especially since PayPal has been mentioned but NO activity has happened on my PayPal account.

She's also mad that MS is saying it was her fault.

It pretty much amazes me to see how tight MS can handle the media (unlike Sony). Sony was few days late on telling something, and everything exploded with statments such as millions of credit cards on the hands of hackers. Nothing really escalated from there, yet it was huge news even to the mainstream media. MS have been playing the "shrug" game for a quarter/third of a year, it's escalating, and they still fail to address it properly, and nothing except a couple heated articles happen?

They did exactly the same with the RRoD. In fact, if it wasn't for retailers and other third parties commenting on it they would have probably continued taking the same line for the entire life of the 360.

MrPliskin

Banned
It pretty much amazes me to see how tight MS can handle the media (unlike Sony). Sony was few days late on telling something, and everything exploded with statments such as millions of credit cards on the hands of hackers. Nothing really escalated from there, yet it was huge news even to the mainstream media. MS have been playing the "shrug" game for a quarter/third of a year, it's escalating, and they still fail to address it properly, and nothing except a couple heated articles happen?

No one really like to bite the hand that feeds them.

/FreeSlim360

sarcasm

The truth is, the enthusiast press will always have a bias they aren't cognizant of.

semiconscious

Gold Member
They did exactly the same with the RRoD. In fact, if it wasn't for retailers and other third parties commenting on it they would have probably continued taking the same line for the entire life of the 360.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." & microsoft's extremely grateful for that...

This exact thing happened to my friend. She used a shortened form of her name (not simply an initial) on the account as opposed to her full first name and Microsoft told her she violated the TOS and didn't help to get her account back. She's pretty much done with anything Xbox as a result.

Edit: The funny thing is that I have nothing but expired cards on my profile. I tried to remove them via Xbox.com. Clicking "Remove" does absolutely nothing on Safari or Chrome. I tweet @XboxSupport about it and they tell me to try billing.microsoft.com and I can't even find the options there and the page itself is slow as shit. What a joke.

1) wow ... microsoft you fail again in being consumer friendly. This should reach mainstream media.

2) I'm realizing how much we need some law, not EULA/TOS, law, to have some sort of protection against absurd bans of accounts with hundreds of dollars of contents attached.

Yagharek

There have been some updates from Lady Elysium. First of all, she's starting to compile other people's stories, so get in touch with her if you want to get on her site. Speaking of which, she's moved it to http://www.hackedonxbox.com/

I also thought this was odd:

She's also mad that MS is saying it was her fault.

Enjoyable read. Microsoft basically tried to silence her with preferential treatment as they did with keighly when his account was hacked. Thankfully, Lady Elysium seems to want nothing to do with it and seems to want to keep going. Hopefully she manages to bring attention to the 100s (1000s more likely) of people who have been shafted by shitty MS "security" and "customer service".

None of this would have happened if MS bothered to do a decent job in the first place.

Well, I hope those who had their account closed because of that ridiculous initial / shortened name shit go after Microsoft now to get it sorted.

I'd be expecting compensation of some sort.

Thank you very much for that. I don't understand why someone would be told this if it's not even an official thing. Then again, according to my friend customer service reps don't even make any sort of contact with Microsoft's fraud department (at least that's what they told her and I believe them...) so I don't know how they think they would be able to help at all if that were the case.

Sporran

i dont think this is a recent thing at all, but is now coming out big style. Anyway, back when Gears of War 2 launched (iirc WaW came out just after what a month) i was playing Gears.

Plodding along and a message popped up. You have been signed out as you have signed in on another console. Eh, called MS just made me change my password and recover profile.

Nothing was taken though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wasn't aware that you can see how many systems are linked to your XBL account. I should have a look at mine. I should have no more than two systems tied to the account (one victim of the RROD and its replacement).

Edit: Haha, 8 consoles, apparently. Though if browser log-ins are included, I suppose that would explain it - particularly since no points have been used or XBL-based CC charges arisen.

Manp

It pretty much amazes me to see how tight MS can handle the media (unlike Sony). Sony was few days late on telling something, and everything exploded with statments such as millions of credit cards on the hands of hackers. Nothing really escalated from there, yet it was huge news even to the mainstream media.

are you kidding, right?

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state/province, zip or postal code), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity passwords and login and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained
While there is no evidence that credit card data was taken at this time, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, to be on the safe side we are advising that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may also have been obtained.

that for what? 40 millions accounts? i don't think the main problem here is that "Sony was few days late". not to mention that in the following weeks other Sony services were hacked and entire databases with users' personal data were stolen.

Top Bottom