• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Update: It was Reversed]Microsoft has reduced the Microsoft Rewards even more by reducing 10 & 5 points rewards down to 1 point

FireFly

So I'd been doing this most days I remembered and getting 2 x £5 vouchers a month roughly a year ago, then things changed and I get about 1 x £5 a month now, but with this new reduction it will be like 1 x £5 every 3-3 months.. I won't bother for that amount
You can get like £7 a month just from playing online multiplayer games daily.

Ozzie666

Microsoft's version of Darth Vaders force choke. Just killing the oxygen intake. I never used points even when I used edge for a brief time. Can you buy gamepass with these points?

bender

What time is it?
They've reduced what you can earn in the US by about 170 (mobile searches axed, shopping game axed, various point reductions on GamePass/Bing activities) points per day. And it looks like they are going to further nuke that by 350 per week with the Xbox Rewards App being retired assuming the weekly streaks aren't going to be moved elsewhere. Some users also had the Mobile Xbox App bonuses nuked which cost them about 80 points per day. They've reinstated the Puzzle Game so that will help you earn 170 points per week. I was earning between 27,000-30,000 points per month. I cleared 22K this month but I expect to be closer to 20K moving forward. By far the most annoying this is the inclusion of timers between searches. You are just slowing down the garbage I search for with Bing and not forcing me into valid searches.

20K a month still let's you pay for GPU (10,500 points) and the left over points will get me close to a $100 Amazon gift card per year which is hard to complain about.

ReBurn

Gold Member
This is why I have multiple browsers installed and each has a designated purpose.
I use the Start app for most of mine. If Microsoft cares about what I'm clicking in there there they can feast on it.

It's funny to me that someone would make snarky comments about getting paid a coupe bucks for stuff like that being tracked when their comment here was probably picked up by several trackers and they didn't get paid a cent for it.

Topher

Gold Member
Two minutes a day gets you what how soon ;)? Somehow for that effort ai doubt you get much soon 😂.

I've gone through a couple of years of Game Pass from those two minutes a day. Also bought a few games on Amazon. I probably have a few hundred dollars more than I would be otherwise. Makes sense to me, but if you think it is funny then I'm happy to entertain, I guess.

I use the Start app for most of mine. If Microsoft cares about what I'm clicking in there there they can feast on it.

It's funny to me that someone would make snarky comments about getting paid a coupe bucks for stuff like that being tracked when their comment here was probably picked up by several trackers and they didn't get paid a cent for it.

I mainly used Opera just so I could open the same tabs over and over again for easy points. MS kind of nerfed that so I may dig up my old C# script and put a six second pause in the loop. Fire it off while I'm drinking coffee and watching youtube in the mornings. I'll try not to strain myself. lol

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Multiple decisions all year from removing the $1 trial, increasing GP price, lowering gold to gamepass conversion rate, increasing prices in regions like turkey and Argentina and now this show MS is really tightening the purse strings. That's 5 different actions in the past 6 months or so that seem aimed on increasing profit.

Without them revealing profits all these decisions beg the question of how profitable their business with gamepass really has been if they are taking all these actions.

Microsoft is doing everything they can to make a profit at this point in the Xbox division. It has become so clear now.

Jimmy_liv

I think you are either about to shut it down or revamp the whole system.

Even with all these nerfs it’s still better than when it launched years ago btw
Didn't they already announce on brazils site that they were revamping it... having listened to feedback and giving us what we want of course 🤨

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Didn't they already announce on brazils site that they were revamping it... having listened to feedback and giving us what we want of course 🤨

Yes, but not just for Brazil. They are making some changes to how the Reward app / hub will be handled soon. The old Rewards app will stop being useful and everything will move to a new hub.

20K a month still let's you pay for GPU (10,500 points) and the left over points will get me close to a $100 Amazon gift card per year which is hard to complain about.

November was the first full month without the shopping game and I'm ending it at 22.5K. That's about an $25 XBL gift card. Not diverting them to GPU since I'm already topped to 2026.

I've gone through a couple of years of Game Pass from those two minutes a day. Also bought a few games on Amazon. I probably have a few hundred dollars more than I would be otherwise. Makes sense to me, but if you think it is funny then I'm happy to entertain, I guess

You reap what you sow, they say. I'd rather get something out of it, at least, and not do it for nothing. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Now there is no point to Bing rewards. I already determined this earlier. I used it only to farm points for free Xbox Gold and GamePass. I basically got 6 years for free, so that's pretty good. It'll run out a year from now. I won't subscribe then. I'll be playing non-GP games on a new PC build and my Xbox will slowly be forgotten and Microsoft will miss its targets and exit gaming.

reinking

Gold Member
I guess they added the delayed search in the US too? I stopped chasing the rewards some time ago but I was still launching Bing as my search because I could click through the front-page stories pretty quickly and let the points build over time. I noticed it was not loading points for each story I clicked. Welp. It was fun but I will change my default back to google. :messenger_neutral:

RPS37

They've reduced what you can earn in the US by about 170 (mobile searches axed, shopping game axed, various point reductions on GamePass/Bing activities) points per day. And it looks like they are going to further nuke that by 350 per week with the Xbox Rewards App being retired assuming the weekly streaks aren't going to be moved elsewhere. Some users also had the Mobile Xbox App bonuses nuked which cost them about 80 points per day. They've reinstated the Puzzle Game so that will help you earn 170 points per week. I was earning between 27,000-30,000 points per month. I cleared 22K this month but I expect to be closer to 20K moving forward. By far the most annoying this is the inclusion of timers between searches. You are just slowing down the garbage I search for with Bing and not forcing me into valid searches.

I was going to start a thread if I didn’t see one, but after reading your post I’m still (extremely) cautiously optimistic that I’ll be able to stay subscribed to GPU for free.

bender

What time is it?
I was going to start a thread if I didn’t see one, but after reading your post I’m still (extremely) cautiously optimistic that I’ll be able to stay subscribed to GPU for free.

Searches are 250 points a day. If you did everything in the Start App, you'd be 300+ points per day. If you do the Xbox App Tasks (Play Jewel, Play a PC Game (keep solitaire running your PC)), and use the Xbox App), that's another 170+ per day. That alone would get you to 14,000+ points per month.

Edit: USA point values.

Last edited:

RPS37

Searches are 250 points a day. If you did everything in the Start App, you'd be 300+ points per day. If you do the Xbox App Tasks (Play Jewel, Play a PC Game (keep solitaire running your PC)), and use the Xbox App), that's another 170+ per day. That alone would get you to 14,000+ points per month.

Edit: USA point values.
I’m in the US, but I only use my PC to record raps.

In the UK 1 point is equivalent to £0.00085 Xbox Credit. Why on earth would you even bother. Even if it takes just 5 seconds to do the action you'd be earning an equivalent of £0.62 an hour for your time. 😂
I tried to break down the math some time ago in a similar thread and was surprised how many idiots still thought it was a great deal. I'm sure some of them really were that dumb, but I suspect a few knew better and were there just gaslighting :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I've gone through a couple of years of Game Pass from those two minutes a day. Also bought a few games on Amazon. I probably have a few hundred dollars more than I would be otherwise. Makes sense to me, but if you think it is funny then I'm happy to entertain, I guess.
Just two minutes a day? No need to get salty, but insert doubt if you have not timed yourself, but hey it is paid work I guess. Let’s see with the new changes it will affect you or not.

Hestar69

fucking Microsoft. Biggest company in the world can spend 70+ billion on a company but can't give people an extra 1-2 a month AND make searching have a delay. what trash!

Also seems bing search isn't working atm for me or any of my friends... Good job microsoft maybe you deserve third place.

Tangerine

fucking Microsoft. Biggest company in the world can spend 70+ billion on a company but can't give people an extra 1-2 a month AND make searching have a delay. what trash!

Also seems bing search isn't working atm for me or any of my friends... Good job microsoft maybe you deserve third place.
You have to wait 5 or 6 seconds between bing searches now :/

Elysium44

Banned

😂

And the top voted reply to the first one:

On the bright side of this, I am free from the daily grind. I can also free space on my phone by removing Edge, Start, and Xbox app.

I thought it was easy and effortless! Seriously, I've seen loads of these type of comments from people who are relieved to be set free.

Just got suspended as well with around 400,000 points sitting unused and on day 820 of streaks.

Ooof. 2.5 years of daily effort and you've gained nothing until you cash it in, which they can revoke the right to do at any time.

Last edited:

tommycronin

People actually had/have time to do this stuff? I couldn’t be bothered.
Microsofts new rules this week be like

oewWqsG.gif

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
All I ever did was daily searches and challenges, cashed in a big load of points relatively recently, once they added Amazon vouchers as a reward.

Pain that they're throttling it, but it's still free money. That 6 second cooldown is a fucker.

I'm definitely going to cheat on this or that now - those 5 points per answer are a premium earner.

Last edited:

Aion002

I only use the rewards on Xbox and on my phone, so this 6 seconds "cooldown" between the searches is incredibly annoying. It shouldn't be applied on the Xbox console, since I don't think that is possible to cheat there.

They're nerfing the points a lot, a couple of months ago it was possible to daily get 75 points by just starting Fortnite on Xcloud, I used to get almost 400 points per day using only my phone and the console. Today I can only get around 200 points per day.

Also, I hope that the new xbox rewards hub is good, the current one sucks.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Just two minutes a day? No need to get salty, but insert doubt if you have not timed yourself, but hey it is paid work I guess. Let’s see with the new changes it will affect you or not.

Nah, I don't need to validate anything. I know what my routine consists of. Doubt what you don't understand if you need to. But yes, very well could be the changes will make none of this worth the while regardless of the level of effort.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

I'm betting Microsoft rolled out a "our terms have changed" making what was previously common practice against the rules as a way of starting a massive cull.

I thought it was easy and effortless! Seriously, I've seen loads of these type of comments from people who are relieved to be set free.

There are multiple methods for earning points so the effort required will vary depending how much time wants to invest in the various activities. For me, simply opening a browser and clicking some links was very much "easy and effortless". That was enough to achieve want I wanted, but I'm not one who has accumulated 400k points either.

So, it turns out loads of people were cheating it and now they are salty that they've been caught out, while also ruining it for everyone else. Typical internet bullshit!

FFS

Nah, that's bullshit. MS is coming up with everything they can to reduce the monetary impact of their own "rewards" program. Suddenly pretending to care about "cheaters" is part of that.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Just cashed out $65 for Amazon Credit, and it went through instantly.

I was a little nervous given all the freaking out on Reddit, but those are almost always the people that try to play the system. Then when shit goes sideways they play innocent and cry for help.

I don’t trust Microsoft to let my points sit and build anymore. I can also see them raising the point redemption cost of gift cards, so I’ll cash out at $5 a pop if I continue doing it.

As for the cheaters thing, yeah - a lot of people cheated their asses off. But this is 100% Microsoft’s doing, and has nothing to do with the cheaters. Those people would just get banned eventually.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
With all of the changes it's definitely becoming less worth it to continue doing it. I'll probably do December to see what the impact is on me and then cash out my remaining points and be done. I have mainly been doing it to get game pass ultimate and that's paid up until mid-2026. Will probably just donate them to charity.

TVexperto

im not going to do them anymore, got more than 60 euros worth of gift cards so im happy but i rather continue doing surveys on the side, i get 1-20 euros for each one

Tangerine

Just cashed out my £55 Amazon voucher.

I think I'll stop now. It's not worth the time with the delay between bing searches on phone and pc. That along with the 1 and 2 point instead of the 5 and 10...

Yeah I'm out!

Topher

Gold Member
Just cashed out my £55 Amazon voucher.

I think I'll stop now. It's not worth the time with the delay between bing searches on phone and pc. That along with the 1 and 2 point instead of the 5 and 10...

Yeah I'm out!

Think I may cash out and be done with it myself. Microsoft suddenly being assholes and banning people makes this whole thing a bit distasteful. It was fun while it lasted.

Using the rest of my points for an amazon voucher that i'll use to buy a PSN card

wedding crashers comedy GIF

Aaaand i'm banned from MS rewards.

Hey, got a couple of codes out of it so i'm not salty, now the rides comes at and end, besides, with the whole 1 points fuckery since the other day i don't think i'd have bothered either way.

70Billion acquisitions have their consequences, gotta save them beans from wherever you can i suppose.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Aaaand i'm banned from MS rewards.

Hey, got a couple of codes out of it so i'm not salty, now the rides comes at and end, besides, with the whole 1 points fuckery since the other day i don't think i'd have bothered either way.

70Billion acquisitions have their consequences, gotta save them beans from wherever you can i suppose.

Seriously? Did they give you a reason?

Top Bottom