• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Update on the search for the Higgs boson at CERN

Status
Not open for further replies.

abusori

ZeePC.jpg

So that's their cover-up story, is it?

Yagharek

For the record, I'm serious. Various models of particle physics hinge on whether the Higgs exists or not, or what its like. Its an important test for what is known as The Standard Model.

Other theories are thought of as more desirable, as they explain things the SM cannot. Either way, its important.

Mr Swine

Banned
For the record, I'm serious. Various models of particle physics hinge on whether the Higgs exists or not, or what its like. Its an important test for what is known as The Standard Model.

Other theories are thought of as more desirable, as they explain things the SM cannot. Either way, its important.

Well I think we still don't know much of what kind of particles there are out there. Even if Higgs Boson is comfirmed and the standard model has to be rewritten, it will happen again when new stuff gets discovered. Or am I wrong?

Yagharek

Well I think we still don't know much of what kind of particles there are out there. Even if Higgs Boson is comfirmed and the standard model has to be rewritten, it will happen again when new stuff gets discovered. Or am I wrong?

We still don't know what dark matter or dark energy are, and they account for 97% off the total mass-energy of the universe.

So yes, the models have to change, but this is another box to check, so to speak.

You're not wrong.

Wes

venison crêpe
Hey, this is great!

The best thing about CERN is that their presentations use Comic Sans.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Careful there, you might upset the CMS team - it's only Atlas that used comic sans.

Big old cultural difference between the two: CMS is a pushy/corporate style - wear suits, bang out way too many papers, bit of a reputation for publishing before they are quite ready, have preprepared slide templates and a sober sensible font. Atlas is more cautious, slower to publish, more fun and uses comic sans or whaterever else is to hand.

If they were console manufacters, CMS would be Microsoft and Atlas would be Nintendo.

Perkel

Banned
Important day to history of humans.

I like when they showed leptons etc, then higs boson and then dark mater, dark energy and other dimencions.

They are going marklar with marklar. It will be amazing marklar.

akira28

If they were console manufacters, CMS would be Microsoft and Atlas would be Nintendo.

Nintendo is fun? Sega. Sega is was more fun than Nintendo.

Anyway, so..yeah Higgins Bosuns. Awright. Can we...make laser guns with them?

All kidding aside, I'm glad they're more sure than ever, and look forward to them being able to use these discoveries to create exotic matter and maybe black holes/time machines/etc.

Zeppu

Higgs boson walks into church. Priest says "Sorry but we don't allow particles in here." Boson says "But without me, how can you have mass?"

:)

Anyone know if this will be archived anywhere? Didn't get to watch the entire ATLAS presentation.

Didn't get to watch any of it, stupid work. I would really like to watch this when I get home, so if anyone knows where I can get it would be most appreciated.

Kud Dukan

Didn't get to watch any of it, stupid work. I would really like to watch this when I get home, so if anyone knows where I can get it would be most appreciated.

Yeah I missed it as well and I really hope I can find it posted online later today. Really wanted to watch it.

Ydahs

Wow, that's pretty awesome. So is this a solid confirmation or does it have the potential of being another 'travel-faster-than-light' mishap like the other?

Don't know about that. But if the higgs field around a projectile could be manipulated we could make extremely devastating kinetic weapons afaik.

Only if you're happy to throw conservation of energy/momentum out of the window. Otherwise you're just stuck with the same old projectiles being propelled in what is almost guaranteed to be a far more expensive way.

http://www.abload.de/img/235562-mass_effect_lae4kq4.jpg[IMG]

Mass Effect fields are going to solve [I]everything[/I][/QUOTE]

ME fields unfortunately violate fundamental natural laws, and I don't just mean because they aren't real. The way they're used in-universe would lead to very unhealthy implications. For example, the weapons are only deadly because they have lowered-mass while they accelerate, then they get restored to full mass when they fly out of the barrel. This is an obvious cheat, and means energy has come from nowhere. You could use the same system to build missiles that will crack planets open with utter trivial ease - ME fields already get objects to go faster than light by lowering their mass, so getting an object to go [i]almost[/i] light speed then suddenly killing the field will mean that you have missiles that have a mass of several tonnes going at 0.999... C. This means that every single FTL capable starship in Mass Effect is a WMD of unfathomably proportions, even those tiny little cargo ships.

Luckily, conservation laws are ironclad.

Opiate

Very exciting. For those who do not follow physics, here is the simple version:

1) The Higgs boson has been the theoretical particle which gives all other particles mass. How it does this is complicated; for a beginners version, just know that it does. This means that all mass in the universe (which is to say, all the stuff on earth and the sun and everything we think of as "stuff") comes in to creation because of this particle.

2) Today, CERN announced that they have found a particle with the same weight and properties as a Higgs Boson to a sigma 5 level of certainty, which means they are 99.9999% certain that this particle exists.

Thus, While they cannot prove yet that this is in fact the Higgs Boson, what they can say is that they are 99.999% sure that they have found a partical that walks, talks, behaves, and weighs the same as a Higgs Boson. Thus, it is very, very likely that the Higgs Boson has been found, and that the origin of mass in the universe has been officially and empirically discovered.

Air

Banned
Cool news, it seems we'll see if they can confirm it specifically being the standard model higgs flavor in a couple of months.

This is one of the most important moments for science in our modern times. Amazing. It's too bad that the discoveries will only end up in exciting things in the long term. I hope I'll be alive to see them.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Now let's built a particle accelerator the size of the solar system and try and find gravitons! Yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom