• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated PSVR unit announced

Not to fragment user base in VR infancy stage?

pff, most games already support like 7 different controlling methods. Gotta create those standards now.

A wand with a stick would be great, unless they get those HTC Vive "knuckles" to be the standard.

CEJames

Well damn Sony. Seriously, they should just make a separate new breakout box for the older model so we can have HDR passthrough as well.

DilWSTS

seems like a very small increment, id have thought they'd wait a bit longer and improve some more things

MattAces

Mother fucker they removed that tiny dumb box.
Aside from that, doesn't affect me much.
20171002-psvr-03.png

MattAces

Edit: Might be misinterpreting here, they might simply mean the existing dumb cinematic mode.

In addition, you can see VR content other than games such as CG movies, music videos, 360 degree live-action images. In "Cinematic mode", games, movies, etc. are displayed on a huge screen in the virtual space in 2D, and you can feel the power as if you are watching in the special seat of a movie theater.

20171002-psvr-08.png

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
...they'll have a f****ng analog stick, I tell you. I wish they fixed the awful tracking but I don't see that happening anytime soon...You cant really turn around much before the camera loses tracking of you.

I don't have a 4K HDR TV but this news pisses me off. Unfortunately, I'm in Japan so selling my unit would be a huge risk since even after a year it's almost impossible to find one at retail price.
Well, early adopters always get screwed in the end. We know that, no point in complaining.
That article has the photo of the new (?) Move and it doesn't seem to have a stick, so that's probably a no.

FingerBang

What are they expecting Sony to do? Make you invisible?

Tracking is fine :D

I own an Oculus Rift with Touch Controllers and a third sensor that cost me pretty much the same as PSVR + Camera + 2 Move so... No, it's not fine? :D

That article has the photo of the new (?) Move and it doesn't seem to have a stick, so that's probably a no.

Yeah, I edited the message. I think it's just a small revision. After all they need a completely different system to improve the experience.

abit bumped that the new processor box is not compatible with launch PSVR units..

i want that HDR passthrough!!

but with this updated unit (and the amount of PSVR announcements at TGS), can we at least shut up the PSVR naysayers?

I own an Oculus Rift with Touch Controllers and a third sensor that cost me pretty much the same as PSVR + Camera + 2 Move so... No, it's not fine? :D

well duh :D i meant it's fine in that 180° sector in front of your TV in optimal lighting conditions. Sure, they could add lighthouses and IR trackers but as it is for the price, it's fine.

This is guaranteed to piss off people that already have PSVR. Too soon, Sony.

i don't have a HDR Tv so whatever, but i am interested if the lenses are bigger/other small improvements to quality/comfort. So in that sense i'm actually excited and love hardware revisions. Might have to upgrade to this if there are any.

HTC and Oculus should already revise their models too, feel like they have been out for decades.

seriously the new processor unit won’t work with current PSVRs!? Come on Sony that’s some BS.

I just want that HDR pass through.....

Lagamorph

This is guaranteed to piss off people that already have PSVR. Too soon, Sony.
I bought an HDR compatible HDMI switch for £15 and just hooked the PSVR through that. VR goes directly into the TV and passthrough goes to my sound system.
For anyone who's done that there's nothing here that's an improvement over the original.

I bought an HDR compatible HDMI switch for £15 and just hooked the PSVR through that. VR goes directly into the TV and passthrough goes to my sound system.
For anyone who's done that there's nothing here that's an improvement over the original.

link to that switch you bought?

FingerBang

well duh :D i meant it's fine in that 180° sector in front of your TV in optimal lighting conditions. Sure, they could add lighthouses and IR trackers but as it is for the price, it's fine.

Yeah, I mean, it's not bad and after placing it at around 2 m from the ground everything improved greatly, but I have been playing Arizona Sunshine and Superhot VR lately and I have to keep repositioning myself or my hands start flying away. PSVR is a great machine, but it needs a better tracking system. And it should be on its way, according to the rumors.

i don't have a HDR Tv so whatever, but i am interested if the lenses are bigger/other small improvements to quality/comfort. So in that sense i'm actually excited and love hardware revisions. Might have to upgrade to this if there are any.

HTC and Oculus should already revise their models too, feel like they have been out for decades.

Nope, everything else is the same according to the press release. Also, HTC and Oculus won't release new models this year nor probably next year. They are focused on standalone VR. I bet on late 2019/2020 for the new high end models.

Spman2099

Man...

I really wish they had given us early adopters the ability to upgrade the processor unit...

As per usual, the early adopter eats shit.

ffvorax

No HDR way to make the older unit work is bad... still I don't own HDR so it doesn't affect me, but sure it sucks... there are super cheaper workaround as said here in neogaf, still it would have been good to have an official solution.

Other than that nothing I will miss keeping my "old" revision.

lynux3

Will be upgrading then I guess. It would be nice to not have to swap for HDR capabilities. Hopefully some retailer has a good offer for trade on old units.

It's a longshot but I'll ask Best Buy associate if they'll allow me to do a warranty exchange on my headset when the new model rolls out. I do plan on going 4K+HDR sometime between this winter and next Spring, so the passthrough will be greatly appreciated. I also do like the in-line earbuds, that's slick IMO.

Top Bottom