• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upgrading from PS4 to PS5 is worse than upgrading a PC

RobRSG

In 15 minutes XSX downloaded all your games (from MS’s LIVE servers in this case) and installed them 🤨? Not sure you are comparing like for like there mate.
On the PS4 Pro I had Ketsui, Battle Garegga, and Tekken 7. Shouldn’t be a big deal.

3 hours transfer.

In 3 hours with the Xbox online setup the SSD was almost full already.

Also there’s no “Copying” phase in the Xbox installs. Maybe you forgot or don’t know that.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This is bullshit in another level. For Spiderman I just gave up. Fuck this shit.

Yes, it is inconvenient (and yes, frankly bullshit it was not made transparent for those remasters), but you are making of teen like impatience an Olympic sport here: you gave up because of that extra (simple) step.

Did Sony have to send someone to attach an external drive to your PS4, copy the games over, export the Spider-man save with the in-game tool , and connect the disk to your PS5 for you?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
On the PS4 Pro I had Ketsui, Battle Garegga, and Tekken 7. Shouldn’t be a big deal.

3 hours transfer.
Direct Ethernet or WiFi for the transfer (btw, I transferred more games than that with the same method and it took far less, but that is beyond the point)?

Did you forget you could have used an external USB HDD on your PS4 Pro and the transfer would have taken far far far far less as you could have connected it to your PS5?

Also, wait your games list does not match… you just said in another post that the Spider-man save transfer process was bullshit and you gave up, what happened to that game? Just deleted it not to bother with booting the game for five minutes and export the save with the game provided function?

Also there’s no “Copying” phase in the Xbox installs. Maybe you forgot or don’t know that.
Not sure who brought copying in as far as installs are concerned, still certainly the Xbox One vs PS4 narrative was that the latter had very fast games installs… but that is enough of a derail ;).

Max_Po

Banned
I had an external usb SSD which I plugged in to my PS4 to PS5... seems pretty simple to me. I knew I would sell my ps4 pro once I got a PS5.

OP sounds WEAK..

RobRSG

Yes, it is inconvenient (and yes, frankly bullshit it was not made transparent for those remasters), but you are making of teen like impatience an Olympic sport here: you gave up because of that extra (simple) step.

Did Sony have to send someone to attach an external drive to your PS4, copy the games over, export the Spider-man save with the in-game tool , and connect the disk to your PS5 for you?

It is clumsy, time consuming and dumb altogether no matter how much you try to push the blame to me.

It should be seamless as it is with the Xbox.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Just inserted my exteral HDD and all games and saves worked after synchronising with PSPlus. I don't know what to tell you.

turtlepowa

Banned
BsI4m4U.jpg

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
OP's comparison is all wrong. Buying a PS5 is more like buying a new PC, not upgrading a single component. And it's definitely not easy to install everything yourself (unless you have the store do it for you) and setting up a fresh system also takes time.

As for the rest of the complaints, well, console gaming has its pros and cons. If you're a hardcore PC gamer you're gonna have it difficult to adjust to consoles and vice versa. Personally I don't mind about the requirement to use DualSense in PS5 games, because it is actually a new controller with new PS5 features. It would be bother me if XSX enforced new controllers, because they've stayed roughly the same for this gen.

Last edited:
Not being able to use DS4 on PS5 does suck.

I took my external hdd from my old Xbone around to a friends house, plugged it into his new Series S, and all the games just worked, and my old controllers paired no issue. Now we were all playing 4 player co-op straight away. It even offered to download upgrades, which you can decline and still play the game.

I'm amazed at how good the experience is overall, and Sony should take a look, but lets be real they just don't need to :rolleyes:

Skifi28

Not being able to use DS4 on PS5 does suck.
Well, you can. Just not on PS5 native games. It's obvious why it's nice to have, but when you do a complete controller revamp with new features not available on the previous one it kind of makes sense. Otherwise you risk developers not bothering /fully embracing the new controller and all its features. I think they made the right decision, it'll just pay off more into the future rather than now.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Wow a pc is a better BC machine than a console. Can you believe this? Out of my curiosity: you are not new to playstation console, why do you expected suddenly Sony would have changed their approach to the BC on ps5? It's like to buy an Xbox complaining where the fuck are the exclusives.

Last edited:

Avion4017

Neo Member
You have Overcooked All You Can Eat with 4 DS4 on the PS4 for 4 players co-op. You want to play the same game with PS5 fidelity? Well you'll have to spend $200+ for 3 additional DualSense if you want 4 players co-op here again.
I'm not saying that having to unnecessarily buy new controllers for a BC game doesn't suck...but if someone who bought 3 additional DS4s at some point, surely the irony isn't lost on them.

Last edited:

Arun1910

Swear half of you are retarded.

Is it really THAT big of deal? Sure, I like the convivence of what I can do on PC, and Xbox's Smart Delivery is one of the coolest things they've done - but is Sonys less fluid way REALLY that difficult?

Flutta

Banned
Sell your PS5 and upgrade your PC done! Instead of bitching about it on neogaf of all places were everything turns into console warring 🥳

Last edited:

Soodanim

Details aside, consoles are supposed to offer convenience. When you still have to put in all this effort, it’s a failure of the service and the ecosystem.

Looks like Sony was ready to force users to buy all their games again, but then they had to back down after MS launched Play Anywhere, then they just half-assed it because contracts were already signed so they are handling it case by case.
This seems like the most likely explanation, because they could easily have offered a way had they decided to put any effort into it at all.

nkarafo

If you are a console gamer and expect your old shit to just work on your new system, you are going to have a bad time.

If you want to run everything in one system, better transition from a console to a PC.

I really don't get why they didn't include support for DS4 controllers.

Last gen I only had a PS4 but I occasiosionally gamed on my PC with an xbox controller. I'm really glad I didn't have to buy an additional controller when I went to the XSX this gen.

Last edited:

shubik

OP is reaching... Loved how easy the jump from PS4 to PS5 was. Quick, easy, and without any complications from my side.

I'm not saying that having to unnecessarily buy new controllers for a BC game doesn't suck...but if someone who bought 3 additional DS4s at some point, surely the irony isn't lost on them.
He really only bought 2 additional DS4s. He would've already had two to start with. Ya know... Because Sony's all forward thinking design that has an internal battery instead of AA, that also just happens to have dismal charge life.

nkarafo

Good luck replacing your CPU or MOBO and have everything "just work" as you describe above.
But it does? I could use the same exact HDD with all my Steam/GOG games and all i have to worry about is making sure the paths are the same.

The only annoying thing is making sure i have all the saves in the right folders. PC games don't have a standard place for game saves. But if you know where the saves must be, you just copy-paste in the same place and it works. There is a save utility that can help you with this, but i personally prefer to do it manually.

I've done this with 3 different PC builds in a 15 years span. Sure, some of the older games might not work with the newer operating system and some will need re-installation (because they use the registry) but these are usually the exceptions. I have more than 200 games and i only remember a few Windows 98 era games giving me trouble, like Episode 1 Racer. But this is like a game 4 generations older if we are going to speak with console terms. It's like asking for a N64 cart to work on your Switch. Another one on top of my head was Chronicles of Riddick but a google search told me to change a setting in the game's Nvidia profile and it now works.

Newer generation games (from the XBOX 360/PS3 era) have no issues.

Edit: Oh, and if your new PC build is going to run the same version of windows, you can just clone the C drive and there's a 99% chance it will work in your new build. Windows 10 will install the drivers of your new hardware and you will be using the same exact setup you had in your previous build. I made a backup of my system and managed to run it on a completely different computer. Unlike older versions, Windows 10 is so good at detecting hardware that's practically portable. You can remove your system drive, put it in a different computer and it will work. Even Windows 7 could do that, though with a lower success rate.

Last edited:

Shane89

Compare console replacement, with a pc components upgrade. Your Sir are a Genius

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yeah, i fucking hate that the ps5 still try to download and copy files for the ps4 version of outriders, is there a way to stop this shit from happening every single time i turn on the console?

Sony need to get his shit together and to speed up the fucking copy from physical discs, blistering fast ssd my ass.

GymWolf

Well, you can. Just not on PS5 native games. It's obvious why it's nice to have, but when you do a complete controller revamp with new features not available on the previous one it kind of makes sense. Otherwise you risk developers not bothering /fully embracing the new controller and all its features. I think they made the right decision, it'll just pay off more into the future rather than now.
It's bullshit.

Not everyone care about dual sense gimmicks and not every game use this stuff exstensively (probably the opposite), and the console let you disable that stuff.

Blocking me from using a better pad (obviously not a ds4 but my nacon pro revolution 2) because of that reason Is...well...bullshit.

And to think that i was excited when before launch they released the list of working controller and mine was on the list...to bad it was only for ps4 games, fucking lol...

Vae_Victis

Banned
For PC, its just a matter of opening the case and replacing the component. After that everything works. Your save files are intact, no need to reinstall games, all your controllers still works. Just launch the game, tune up the setting and you get to enjoy the improved fidelity. Want to use a DualShock 4 on Godfall? Sure you can do that, on PC but not PS5.

OP did you ever change a piece of your PC yourself that wasn't a disk or the GPU tops? Let me describe my last PC upgrade experience.

New motherboard and new CPU. Motherboard doesn't support the CPU out of the box, BIOS must be updated. How do you update BIOS without a CPU? Connect Motherboard to PSU, Insert a USB drive in a specific port and press a button, it should flash itself. It doesn't. Change USB, still doesn't work. Make sure (on a different PC I had around) the USB is formatted as FAT-32, still doesn't work. Turns out the Motherboard won't update with that procedure if you try to install the latest BIOS (because fuck you), there is a single version where it actually works. Finally update BIOS.

Install CPU, install new CPU cooler (with thermal paste and all). Notice the Motherboard only has 4 fan pins, cooler has 2 fans and case has 3. Have to junction the two frontal fans with a cable I luckily happened to have around, swear as a demon to make all the cables reach the goddamn pins going around the other components.

Install NVME SSD, the goddamn slot has the tiniest screws in the universe. Have to find tiny screwdriver (which I luckily owned) and use that.

Install GPU and RAM, all fine there thank fuck.

Connect everything to PSU, some cables don't reach if they go behind the case panel, so I have to keep them lying around the main compartment and block them with cable ties so they don't get stuck in a fan or something.

If you seriously think all of this is less annoying than "I have to port my saves" and "there are two versions of the game available to download, I need to pick the correct one", I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
But it does? I could use the same exact HDD with all my Steam/GOG games and all i have to worry about is making sure the paths are the same.

The only annoying thing is making sure i have all the saves in the right folders. PC games don't have a standard place for game saves. But if you know where the saves must be, you just copy-paste in the same place and it works. There is a save utility that can help you with this, but i personally prefer to do it manually.

I've done this with 3 different PC builds in a 15 years span. Sure, some of the older games might not work with the newer operating system and some will need re-installation (because they use the registry) but these are usually the exceptions. I have more than 200 games and i only remember a few Windows 98 era games giving me trouble, like Episode 1 Racer. But this is like a game 4 generations older if we are going to speak with console terms. It's like asking for a N64 cart to work on your Switch. Another one on top of my head was Chronicles of Riddick but a google search told me to change a setting in the game's Nvidia profile and it now works.

Newer generation games (from the XBOX 360/PS3 era) have no issues.

Edit: Oh, and if your new PC build is going to run the same version of windows, you can just clone the C drive and there's a 99% chance it will work in your new build. Windows 10 will install the drivers of your new hardware and you will be using the same exact setup you had in your previous build. I made a backup of my system and managed to run it on a completely different computer. Unlike older versions, Windows 10 is so good at detecting hardware that's practically portable. You can remove your system drive, put it in a different computer and it will work. Even Windows 7 could do that, though with a lower success rate.

I found during my last upgrade there was no need to manually back up my steam saves as its all on steam cloud now anways (at least as far as I could see).

While I have heard about trying to transfer the same C drive with a new CPU/MOBO I guess I have never been brave enough to try it. I think you would be better served doing a fresh install. However backing up your C to an external before doing so means you can easily transfer the files you need back to your new build.

nkarafo

OP did you ever change a piece of your PC yourself that wasn't a disk or the GPU tops? Let me describe my last PC upgrade experience.

New motherboard and new CPU. Motherboard doesn't support the CPU out of the box, BIOS must be updated. How do you update BIOS without a CPU? Connect Motherboard to PSU, Insert a USB drive in a specific port and press a button, it should flash itself. It doesn't. Change USB, still doesn't work. Make sure (on a different PC I had around) the USB is formatted as FAT-32, still doesn't work. Turns out the Motherboard won't update with that procedure if you try to install the latest BIOS (because fuck you), there is a single version where it actually works. Finally update BIOS.

Install CPU, install new CPU cooler (with thermal paste and all). Notice the Motherboard only has 4 fan pins, cooler has 2 fans and case has 3. Have to junction the two frontal fans with a cable I luckily happened to have around, swear as a demon to make all the cables reach the goddamn pins going around the other components.

Install NVME SSD, the goddamn slot has the tiniest screws in the universe. Have to find tiny screwdriver (which I luckily owned) and use that.

Install GPU and RAM, all fine there thank fuck.

Connect everything to PSU, some cables don't reach if they go behind the case panel, so I have to keep them lying around the main compartment and block them with cable ties so they don't get stuck in a fan or something.

If you seriously think all of this is less annoying than "I have to port my saves" and "there are two versions of the game available to download, I need to pick the correct one", I don't know what to tell you.
If you have trouble building a new PC, you can easily buy an assembled one. Or pay some extra for the shop to build your components for you.

It's not like you can buy PS5 parts and build the console yourself.

nkarafo

While I have heard about trying to transfer the same C drive with a new CPU/MOBO I guess I have never been brave enough to try it. I think you would be better served doing a fresh install.
I think this was the case with older versions of Windows. But it's now a relic from the past. Like how you don't need to defrag anymore since the SSDs took over.

I personally did the system clone thing a lot of times. I build Virtual Pinball cabinets and so far i made 4. Setting up a virtual pinball is a real pain in the ass, especially if you have a ton of tables. The programs themselves are not portable and all of them save things in the registry and random places here and there. But with the clone trick i only had to do it once. All the other cabinets use the clone of the original one and all work the same. I haven't noticed any difference between them or the original.

I also done this with upgrades from HDD to SSD in both desktops and laptops. Cloning the HDD to the SSD gives you all the benefits of the SSD, without wasting your time doing a fresh setup and re-installing everything.

Fresh installs serve a different purpose. Maybe your setup is messed up or have slowed down over the years of usage. So you do it in order to clean up. But if your system is already clean enough, you don't have to worry. This is a user issue though, i personally tend to keep my system as clean as possible. I never had to reformat even on older builds using Windows XP.

And yeah, saves are using the cloud nowadays but some older games might not, despite being on STEAM. I remember Dark Souls 1 not using it. Maybe Dark Souls 3 as well.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I found during my last upgrade there was no need to manually back up my steam saves as its all on steam cloud now anways (at least as far as I could see).
I thought so too, but then I found out that for whatever reason, certain games that do seem to support steam cloud didn't work. I'll never get those 150 hours of Dark souls 3 back, I cried myself to sleep that night.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I think this was the case with older versions of Windows. But it's now a relic from the past. Like how you don't need to defrag anymore since the SSDs took over.

I personally did the system clone thing a lot of times. I build Virtual Pinball cabinets and so far i made 4. Setting up a virtual pinball is a real pain in the ass, especially if you have a ton of tables. The programs themselves are not portable and all of them save things in the registry and random places here and there. But with the clone trick i only had to do it once. All the other cabinets use the clone of the original one and all work the same. I haven't noticed any difference between them or the original.

I also done this with upgrades from HDD to SSD in both desktops and laptops. Cloning the HDD to the SSD gives you all the benefits of the SSD, without wasting your time doing a fresh setup and re-installing everything.

Fresh installs serve a different purpose. Maybe your setup is messed up or have slowed down over the years of usage. So you do it in order to clean up. But if your system is already clean enough, you don't have to worry. This is a user issue though, i personally tend to keep my system as clean as possible. I never had to reformat even on older builds using Windows XP.

And yeah, saves are using the cloud nowadays but some older games might not, despite being on STEAM. I remember Dark Souls 1 not using it. Maybe Dark Souls 3 as well.

yes cloning C drives works well. I have done it a couple times when upgrading SSD sizes

NeonDelta

One annoying thing is it’s not always clear which version of a game you are deleting. cant remember which game it was but I had 2 versions on there and when I went to delete it had the name of the game twice. No indication of which was ps4 and which was ps5 So I ended up having to delete both because I accidentally deleted the ps5 one and redownloading it.

Wait I’m playing the ps5 versions of games right? Like I have just downloaded from psn I haven’t ported anything over from PS4 (and don’t really plan to - it’s a new console so, I dunno that’s how my brain works) - is there a separate button to download ps5 versions?

NeonDelta

Wait I’m playing the ps5 versions of games right? Like I have just downloaded from psn I haven’t ported anything over from PS4 (and don’t really plan to - it’s a new console so, I dunno that’s how my brain works) - is there a separate button to download ps5 versions?
Go to the game and press the options button and I think if you press view product. That should tell you what version it is On the box art on the right.

vkbest

The upgrade path from the PS4 to PS5 is a mess and worse than upgrading a PC.

For PC, its just a matter of opening the case and replacing the component. After that everything works. Your save files are intact, no need to reinstall games, all your controllers still works. Just launch the game, tune up the setting and you get to enjoy the improved fidelity. Want to use a DualShock 4 on Godfall? Sure you can do that, on PC but not PS5.

On PS5, cross-gen games are split into 2 versions (PS4/PS5) and offer for you to download for no reason. Why will I want to play a PS4 version on PS5? You can't use a DS4 on PS5 games, but you can use remote play to use DS4 on PS5 games. You can turn off the extra features on DualSense and turn it into a DS4 (in terms of features) and use on PS5 games. If you upgrade to a PS5 you can't carry your digital library on classic platforms (PS1, PS2 classics etc) over to PS5. Some games cost extra if you want both PS4 and PS5 version. Some games doesn't carry save over from PS4 to PS5. Some cross-gen games doesn't even allow next-gen upgrade. Like you have to google everytime to see if your games have which upgrade issue. You have Overcooked All You Can Eat with 4 DS4 on the PS4 for 4 players co-op. You want to play the same game with PS5 fidelity? Well you'll have to spend $200+ for 3 additional DualSense if you want 4 players co-op here again.

Its embarrassing considering we are in 2021 here and still dealing with these mess.

Upgrade a PC usually its far more expensive than PS5 + additional DS.

v_iHuGi

Banned
You can transfer the games easily in minutes, everything you had on your Ps4/Pro (including all saves that will work straight away).

The problem was not the PS5, it was your inability to search & learn how to do a simple task that has been available since 2016.

Ethernet cable, connect both Consoles & wait a few minutes.

v_iHuGi

Banned

If you're on Ps4 version it will appear in front of the Game, else it's the PS5 version.

You can choose a different version going to the (...).

Valkyria

Banned
When my Series X arrived I simply took the external drives from my One X and plugged them in to the new console. Transferred a few games to the internal SSD to take advantage of that feature. All my saves were ready to go.

Took me less than 15 minutes.
Just as you can do on PS5.
So much concern trolling, I’m not talking only about you.

Rea

Seriously? That's your take? Comparing it to something of 2013?

Do it right and compare it to the competition of today.
Yea, the competition does better in that department, but Sony do have advantages over that competition too, every companies has pros and cons.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
So much concern trolling, I’m not talking only about you.

Seems like some people have nothing better to do than play Chicken Little. Maybe if their console of choice had more stuff they actually wanted to play on it, as opposed to stacks of stuff that holds little to no interest...

Top Bottom