• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscale-GAF: What do you want out of a successor to the Framemeister/XRGB-Mini?

Peltz

We all know that as good as the Framemeister is, it's far from perfect and a successor could significantly improve upon it.

For example, I'm sure we all agree that the handshake delays for resolution changes need to come to an end. And native VGA support would be great for Dreamcast. Otherwise, what new features in the next iteration of Micomsoft upscalers would be most important to you?

What does your dream upscaler look like?

P.S. From this point on, all people who use the XRGB series shall be known as "Upscale-GAF".... because let's face it... we some classy muthafuckas.

Rongolian

Banned
I'll put my thoughts here

- Ability to add profiles for settings based on input type, resolution, etc instead of having to set them on a situation by situation basis.

- 4K support for newer TV sets

- Increased options for scanline viewing. This is a big one for me, since 1080p does not display scanlines properly, gives limited ability to adjust their settings (besides how dark they are) so we're forced to use 720p and have our TV's scale the image to display it, which is far from ideal. Options such as how many lines requested, line thickness, this kind of thing would help a lot.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
- Get rid of that goddamn delay when switching resolutions. That, alone, was enough to dissuade me from buying the Framemeister.

- More inputs. Like... 4 SCART ports would be awesome.

- I'd also prefer that the box be more of a standard size for AV equipment. It looks very out of place otherwise. And I don't like having to plug stuff into the front of the box.

- Get rid of that goddamn delay when switching resolutions. That, alone, was enough to dissuade me from buying the Framemeister.

That is also the big one for me. Just posted about it in another thread talking about the Framemeister in fact. Other then that though I don't really know. Seems that the only issue I have with the current one is a deal breaker.

I mean I'm sure 4k support will be needed eventually as well as something else they can add.

HUELEN10

3 things.

1. Gray aspect compensation option instead of just black.

2. SD card support so you can use your own PNG file as an overlay/border.

3. Full overscan and indeed an compensation, with saveable settings, so that every game can be bold and beautiful.

Anyone know why these kinds of upscalers are only made and sold in Japan? I'm sure there would be a market in America/Europe considering how many people both own HDTVs and have their old SD systems somewhere around the house.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Maybe they should integrate recording and steaming. Cash in on that market.

That said I really like my Framemeister and I'm not really itching for a successor. The resolution switching lag is really the only bummer... But the only time I've ever considered it a problem was Chrono Cross.

xemumanic

4K, scanlines that look good on > 720p, support for resolutions changes without having to re-sync (think of any game that was a 480i menu but is 240p in game, like SOTN) things like that. I'd sell my Framemeister for a new one that did such things.

baphomet

4k, better scanlines at high resolutions, instant resolution changes. If spend another $400 for that.

Maybe they should integrate recording and steaming. Cash in on that market.

Well they sell the x-capture 1 for nearly the same price as the mini. I was actually capturing 1080p/60fps lossless video from my mini into the X-Capture last night. A ~10 minute video was 140GB -_-

Somebody needs to make this. Sounds dreamy.

They could merge it with the X-Capture!
xcapture_1_z01__41268.1373257057.1280.1280_1024x1024.jpg

Bodacious

Banned
Comment I left in the main upscaler thread. It's even more on-point here.

I can tell you one thing that would make it sell better, and that would be if they offered direct-to-FM cable connectors for the most popular consoles. In other words, instead of giving you a little SCART to 8pin mini-DIN dongle and leaving you on your own to find cables, Micomsoft should be making Nintendo RGB (AVFami, FC/SNES, & N64) to FM cables. Megadrive RGB to FM cables. Saturn RGB to FM cables. And along with those cables, they should have an XRGB mini selector box available, into which you could plug all those connections and then select the one you want to play currently with a remote or button push. All of this is possible now through other sources, but you have to either have original RGB cables (rare, except perhaps in Europe), or else buy from small online vendors. If Micomsoft were really trying to make the advantages of their product easily accessible to customers, then they should be selling the customer as complete a package as the customer needs.

Also, a VGA input for Dreamcast (and a cable for that LOL). More inputs generally, or a separate 'hub' selector box as suggested above.

- I'd also prefer that the box be more of a standard size for AV equipment. It looks very out of place otherwise. And I don't like having to plug stuff into the front of the box.

These are pretty much my thoughts. Everything else is software (profiles please). the FM is a pretty great package already, but all of these changes would make it even better.

Oh, different output options might be good. Displayport for futureproofing?

That's the reason I sold my Framemeister. Couldn't deal with those 7 second resolution timeouts.

IrishNinja

add an option for system profiles (i don't tweak settings much, but i might if i could save em) and this'd be my list. i'd add english overlay for the remote but eh, i don't mind dropping a few bucks to the guy over at SHMUPs to do that in a pinch

baphomet

add an option for system profiles (i don't tweak settings much, but i might if i could save em) and this'd be my list. i'd add english overlay for the remote but eh, i don't mind dropping a few bucks to the guy over at SHMUPs to do that in a pinch

He's also on here : )

D.Lo

I love what it does, but the physical design is baffling. Nobody needs HDMI-in. And the MAIN input for retro consoles is on the front?

Stick with the mini-din. Much more stable than crappy giant scart plugs, easier to make at home, and of course far smaller. Retro cord manufacturers can make cheap scart adapters or finally make FM compatible cords for consoles.

The handshake delay itself is annoying. Only a tiny number of games switch resolution, it's really not worth any kind of herculean effort to fix it for that reason, but you can miss intro screens due to the handshake delay.

Scaliness being nicer in 1080p I guess? I don't give a crap about 4K, it's just the latest stupid push from TV manufacturers. Might as well ask for Famicom/Mark III 3D or lightgun support or something before that.

Madao

i want improved 1:1 pixel mapping options and improved/fixed 480p scaling. also, reduced input lag (as long as it is under 1 frame it should be fine)

i feel like i only got half of the bargain i wanted from the FM.

IrishNinja

He's also on here : )

oh...? i owe that dude a drink!

I love what it does, but the physical design is baffling. Nobody needs HDMI-in. And the MAIN input for retro consoles is on the front?

yeah, the HDMI-in is a weird choice, for sure

The handshake delay itself is annoying. Only a tiny number of games switch resolution, it's really not worth any kind of herculean effort to fix it for that reason, but you can miss intro screens due to the handshake delay.

seriously, this - again id like to see it fixed too, but i play a lotta saturn/PSX/some N64 etc and it's not nearly as common as some on here make it, for real

Madao

isn't the HDMI-in faster than the analog inputs? (as in, it has lower input lag)

that was one reason i got the Wii2HDMI converter. the input lag should be less than running component cables and connecting to the D-Terminal input.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
About that HDMI in...

Does the PS3 output in 240p over HDMI? I really doubt that, but I was playing PS1 classics on PS3 and the sprite games look so bad without scanlines! Would be nice to pass those through the framemeister.

Or might outputting in 720p let me do that? Hmmmm

meanspartan

Don't be over 300 god damn dollars! lol

Whatever crazy price the next one launches at, I hope it is followed by the current one dropping in price so I can finally afford to get one.

manzo

- 1080p scanline options. The Framemeister's scanlines are borked in 1080p mode.
- Easier scanline modifications. H_VALUEs need to be changed always between 16-bit and 32-bit consoles.
- Better scaling when screen is mapped 1:1. Now in 720p mode, you need to put your TV to 5% overscan to get the right scanline density/size.
- Faster handshake when resolution changes.

D.Lo

About that HDMI in...

Does the PS3 output in 240p over HDMI? I really doubt that, but I was playing PS1 classics on PS3 and the sprite games look so bad without scanlines! Would be nice to pass those through the framemeister.

Or might outputting in 720p let me do that? Hmmmm
240p is not a standard HDMI resolution. Apparently it can in theory do it but nothing does.

And no, PS3 does not output 240p, even via analogue connections. The last console to do 240p was the Wii.

Therefore the HDMI-in is useless, since the mini isn't very good at 480p content anyway. Only a really really bad TV scaler would be worse than the mini for 480p IMO.

Peltz

Now that I think about it more, it'd be cool to have some CRT filters... and filters in general. Perhaps make the firmware more easily moddable by the community too?

xemumanic

I actually like and make use of the HDMI in for XBLA games and the like. I turn off that stupid bilinear filter many games have and turn on the scanlines.

xemumanic

Which games in particular?

Many of the retro ports by Backbone for one. Radiant Silvergun in the low res mode, Guardian Heroes, etc. There's many games I've yet to even try, like Scott Pilgrim vs The World. I also wanna try running my PC games though it. I got some help with SweetFX for Kamui for instance, but its more work than I can afford to dedicate.

FaithLes

Neophyte
HDMI Control.
1x HDMI out.
6x HDMI in.
8x 8 pin mini-DIN.
4x D-terminal.

Audio in/out DAC/ADC/Pass through:
4x Toslink in.
1x Toslink out.
1x Coax out.
1x Phono/mini jack out.
Volume Control.

Profiles for video and audio settings.
Handshake timeout eleminated.
Small form factor.
I/O back only.
Universal English all purpose Remote control.
Universal AC adapter.

Top Bottom