• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peagles

I assume you could convert the signal to 480p with the framemeister thingy, if it can just insert a black line in between every scan line in the original signal to stretch the image twice vertically. Though that would mean your black lines and scan lines would be of equal width and that may be too much for the eyes.

Sounds good, but if I'm gonna drop a stack of cash on the Framemeister it's getting plugged into my 50" Panny Plasma, not this $20 thing haha.

Damn, I've been looking for a PVM at Goodwill/Savers for years. Crazy pickup.
It's my second one I found for 1.00 at Goodwill, though the first one was one from 1989 (really nice model though) that didn't work quite right, so I offed it.

I'm always keeping an eye out at the 1.00 TV section at Goodwill. You never know.

baphomet

Very nice on the $1 20m4u

I just scored a really nice 21'' 2048 x 1536 Samsung CRT monitor for $15. Get to pick it up tomorrow!

KC-Slater

Are the BNC-outs on PVM displays just a pass-through, or do they actually convert anything?

For example, could you input RGB+S and output (via the RGB-out ports on the PVM) RGsB or something?

baphomet

Holy shit, this CRT is insane. Running 360 via VGA into it is gorgeous. There's no way to get across how clear and smooth everything is, but damn its nice.

baphomet

What inputs does it have?

Just VGA and BNC connections.

Here's a few shots from my phone. Hopefully they turned out good enough to show the detail.

W1a9rbJ.jpg

GNsetRf.jpg

lvLJhPA.jpg

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Every 360 owner should have a VGA cable to go with it.

Had a UMvC3 session last weekend and paired a second console with the old CRT computer monitor in 720p. People were floored at the results.

baphomet

I really just wanted something for 480p, and this one turned out to be pretty great for it. Unfortunately its ugly as hell and that IBM beige color. Isn't going to stop me from using it all the time though.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
so what advantages does VGA have over component or HDMI for the 360?
There's not really anything inherently advantageous to any of those formats imo.

It's just a nice perk to be able to run the system on a progressive scan CRT monitor in high definition. Found a cable for a couple of bucks, so it was pretty much a no-brainer.

There's not really anything inherently advantageous to any of those formats imo.

It's just a nice perk to be able to run the system on a progressive scan CRT monitor in high definition. Found a cable for a couple of bucks, so it was pretty much a no-brainer.

Got'ya. If I had the monitor I would definitely pick one up. That's just so low on my priorities now, though. Perhaps one day.

SegaShack

Are the BNC-outs on PVM displays just a pass-through, or do they actually convert anything?

For example, could you input RGB+S and output (via the RGB-out ports on the PVM) RGsB or something?
On mine they are just a passthrough because every input has its own output.

Every 360 owner should have a VGA cable to go with it.

Had a UMvC3 session last weekend and paired a second console with the old CRT computer monitor in 720p. People were floored at the results.

It's a shame the new 360 E doesn't support VGA.

I got my 360 VGA cable back when Gamestop were liquidating them. Brand new and sealed inside the blister pack for $10 which was great considering they were supposed to be like $30 or $40.

Peltz

Also, for older HDTVs released prior to HDMI ubiquity, VGA is less likely to produce overscan than Component. I know because my Xbox 360 looked 200X better after grabbing a VGA cable to hook it up back in 2006 or so. At least on my old set, it was far easier to fine tune the VGA picture.

Now, most sets won't grossly overscan anything (including component) but this was not always the case. We are really spoiled by the modern plasmas and LCDs.

Holy shit, this CRT is insane. Running 360 via VGA into it is gorgeous. There's no way to get across how clear and smooth everything is, but damn its nice.
I'd be really interested in seeing this one day. Generally I've been impressed with the HD consoles on my plasma set, but there's something special about the CRT look. What resolution is your 360 running when you display it on your monitor?

baphomet

What's the model # on the monitor?

Its a Samsung 1100DF.

And I just run everything into it at 480p. So you should be able to do the same on your 20l5 FoS.

Thing is absolutely gorgeous though. Especially Espgaluda II. I'm tempted to use this to replace my main PVM, but its fucking massive. Its also not perfectly square and doesn't tate quite as nicely.

Its a Samsung 1100DF.

And I just run everything into it at 480p. So you should be able to do the same on your 20l5 FoS.

Thing is absolutely gorgeous though. Especially Espgaluda II. I'm tempted to use this to replace my main PVM, but its fucking massive. Its also not perfectly square and doesn't tate quite as nicely.
I definitely could. I never thought to try the 360 out on it-- I should. Original Xbox and Gamecube look great in 480p on the 20l5

baphomet

I definitely could. I never thought to try the 360 out on it-- I should. Original Xbox and Gamecube look great in 480p on the 20l5

Well, I guess I should clarify. It works great for stuff that isn't originally HD. So those cave shmups, and old arcade ports, and stuff like that look great on it in 480p.

I think the GBS8220 with sync strike will work great for transcoding component to VGA for this. That setup will probably just stay with the monitor. That or I'll try that iScan vp30 with the deinterlacing card to see how it looks on there.

SOME-MIST

just snagged a pvm14m2u for $30.

It'll be a nice change of pace from having to lug around my nec xm29 which weighs like 200 lbs.

can't wait to test 'er out with some arcade boards :)

Well, I guess I should clarify. It works great for stuff that isn't originally HD. So those cave shmups, and old arcade ports, and stuff like that look great on it in 480p.

I think the GBS8220 with sync strike will work great for transcoding component to VGA for this. That setup will probably just stay with the monitor. That or I'll try that iScan vp30 with the deinterlacing card to see how it looks on there.
Ah, okay. That makes sense. Still plenty of cool things to check out in 480p though, like you mentioned.

One question to anyone who can answer... now that I'm stockpiling PVMs (that Goodwill find marks #3 lol) will they be fine to just sit in my closet until my main one dies out down the road? Or should I be considering replacing stuff like capacitors or anything else that could go bad by just by the passage of time (if there is anything the innards that could degrade as time passes)

baphomet

Ah, okay. That makes sense. Still plenty of cool things to check out in 480p though, like you mentioned.

One question to anyone who can answer... now that I'm stockpiling PVMs (that Goodwill find marks #3 lol) will they be fine to just sit in my closet until my main one dies out down the road? Or should I be considering replacing stuff like capacitors or anything else that could go bad by just by the passage of time (if there is anything the innards that could degrade as time passes)

I just pull mine out every month or so and turn them on and play on them for a few hours. There for awhile I was rotating my main one in the spare bedroom every so often, but I got tired of lugging them up and down the 4 flights of steps from the garage area. I don't think you would have any issues as long as youre not keeping them in extreme temps or something.

SOME-MIST

I'll happily take it off your hands

lol, I more or less meant that it's going to be stationary for life. I usually end up lugging it out of my room and into the living area when I have buddies over to play some retro fun.

there was one in my area though a month or two ago for $100 that I ended up passing on since it was a 30 minute drive from me and I had no way of retrieving it.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Well I just ended up buying a Sony PVM-20L2 on eBay for $200. Now I need to sell my 20L1. If anyone else is around Fargo, ND I'll give you a great deal haha.

haystax

Neo Member
I've got a Pvm 20m4u sitting upstairs with a knackered flyback, desperate to get it repaired cause my 14 just ain't big enough. If anyone knows where I might be able to find a replacement flyback please tell, otherwise this fella is going to end up in the skip.

baphomet

I've got a Pvm 20m4u sitting upstairs with a knackered flyback, desperate to get it repaired cause my 14 just ain't big enough. If anyone knows where I might be able to find a replacement flyback please tell, otherwise this fella is going to end up in the skip.

If you don't have any luck fixing it I would buy the bezel off of you as one of my 20m4us is cracked.

Good luck getting it working though.

Kadmac25

Well I just ended up buying a Sony PVM-20L2 on eBay for $200. Now I need to sell my 20L1. If anyone else is around Fargo, ND I'll give you a great deal haha.

Good luck. I tried buying a couple of Sony PVMs off ebay and both times they arrived damaged where they wouldn't work. I gave up on the ebay route and am keeping my eyes peeled for any PVMs on Craigslist in my area.

baphomet

Good luck. I tried buying a couple of Sony PVMs off ebay and both times they arrived damaged where they wouldn't work. I gave up on the ebay route and am keeping my eyes peeled for any PVMs on Craigslist in my area.

Yea, unless they're shipped freight it's almost a guarantee. Make sure you insure the full amount so if it is damaged you're covered.

Peltz

If it's in great condition I actually think it's worth it. $80 for sure if it has great geometry.

The people getting PVMs for $50 are the exception, not the norm. These things aren't all that common on CL even in big cities. $100 for 14 inches in good condition is a pretty fair deal.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I appreciate the heads up. I'll make sure to check it out before I sell mine then maybe. The seller has a guarantee on it, so at least I have that in my back pocket.

I have almost no chance at scoring one on CL here, though. I live in the boondocks essentially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom