• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upscalers, CRTs, PVMs & RGB: Retro gaming done right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peagles

Don't pursue too hard then as they are likely to use whatever your offer is to get other people to try to pay more.

I'm the only person who has asked anything about it so far, but I pretty much just made some banter about appreciating CRTs as much as they do and for them to get in touch if they ever decide to sell it for around $200. Who knows, I could get a message in a few weeks time, but I won't get my hopes up.

Filben

What do guys say to this one? http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeigen/s-anzeige/sony-trinitron/278819254-175-157?ref=search

Modell KV-32FS60B

Description says it's 4 to 6 years old, superb picture quality and good conditition.
But you know, he want's to sell it, not gifting it, so who knows...

I'm looking for a good tube for my retro console (N64, PS1, GC). I have a small one which is nice in its size (it's not to big so it fits on my living room desk) but the picture quality is sort of washed out no matter what brightness/contrast settings and cable I use (composite, RGB)

Timu

Try asking here to see if anyone has any advice for connecting S-video to your card. The 500N1 and PEXHDCAP are basically the same hardware and even have compatible drivers, IIRC. The revised model (512N1) has the same design and connector but also comes with an S-video adapter for the same style A/V port on the card. It's a long shot, and I don't expect this to be the case, but maybe there are newer drivers for the PEXHDCAP out there that might make said S-video adapter backward compatible with it.
I sure hope so, I'll see what I can do.

Found a 20" pvm on craigslist. pvm 20m2u. What's a fair price I should be offering?

$75-$150 or so. Depending on quality of course. It's a good unit, but not one of the ones where you can check operational hours to see how worn out it is so will need to demo it to be sure.

Leonsito

I bought last week a couple of RGB cables for my SNES and Mega Drive, I always played with the normal AV cables, because I didn't think the IQ couldn't get any better, been RGB an SCART with an analog signal... BOY I WAS WRONG, holy shit, the definition, the colors... amazing! I found myself testing everysingle game I had just to see the diference, fantastic.

Next thing I'm going to do is mod the MegaDrive for the 50Hz/60Hz and region switches.

But the biggest problem I have right now is calibration of the TV (a 28" Sony Trinitron), if I adjuste geometry to display the full RGB signal, when I plug my NES or N64 with the AV cables the TV eats a lot of the right side of the image, so it's a bit of a pain in the ass to enter the calibration setup depending on the machine I want to play :(

D.Lo

Haha I know. I told them I got my 14L2 for $50 and they were like wow you got a great deal cos they go for $1100 used! Lol...
Standard gumtree/trading post crap.

I literally just saw a guy selling a worthless pirate Chinese DS cart with 100 games for $80, claiming "if you bought 100 games separately it would cost over $2000 so it's a bargain!"

Peagles

Standard gumtree/trading post crap.

I literally just saw a guy selling a worthless pirate Chinese DS cart with 100 games for $80, claiming "if you bought 100 games separately it would cost over $2000 so it's a bargain!"

Lol! That's much worse.

In other news, I just picked up my 640x480 LCD. It's certainy no CRT but it's pretty nice for an LCD. I'll probably keep it aside for when I have more space for now but it's nice to have a bigger screen.

imagejpg2_zps148bb2c2.jpg

Khaz

Lol! That's much worse.

In other news, I just picked up my 640x480 LCD. It's certainy no CRT but it's pretty nice for an LCD. I'll probably keep it aside for when I have more space for now but it's nice to have a bigger screen.

I'm assuming you fed it with 240p, hence the vertical blurring?

KC-Slater

Are either of these any good?

Sony Trinitron Colour Video Monitor PVM-1341

or

Sony Trinitron Colour Video Monitor PVM-1354Q

Which is better? Some really crude googling points to the PVM-1341.

Thoughts?

Peltz

Are either of these any good?

Sony Trinitron Colour Video Monitor PVM-1341

or

Sony Trinitron Colour Video Monitor PVM-1354Q

Which is better? Some really crude googling points to the PVM-1341.

Thoughts?

Assuming they both have the same amount of lines of resolution, and both have RGB, go with whichever is in better condition. At this stage, "premium" models could look shittier than less premium PVM models due to age and wear and tear.

Choose the one that has better geometry and contrast in present condition.

KC-Slater

Assuming they both have the same amount of lines of resolution, and both have RGB, go with whichever is in better condition. At this stage, "premium" models could look shittier than less premium PVM models due to age and wear and tear.

Choose the one that has better geometry and contrast in present condition.

Cool, thanks! I work in a broadcast environment, and they are gutting a lot of their PVM/BVMs. It's sad/surreal to see them piled up to be likely thrown out.

goldenpp72

So I have kind of a dummy question, I finally moved into my new home and am looking to setup the room with all my consoles in it. Will something like the framemeister be able to handle pretty much any retro console or are there consoles it doesn't play nice with, and are there any limits to how many it can take in at once? Suggestions on hook ups for mass amounts of consoles would be great too.

So I have kind of a dummy question, I finally moved into my new home and am looking to setup the room with all my consoles in it. Will something like the framemeister be able to handle pretty much any retro console or are there consoles it doesn't play nice with, and are there any limits to how many it can take in at once? Suggestions on hook ups for mass amounts of consoles would be great too.

This video from MLIG might give you an idea on how to connect multiple consoles to the XRGB mini.
Ideally, you'd have an RGB switch.

I believe the only pitfall to look out for would be games that switch resolutions like Sonic 2 (in 2 player versus mode) or Chrono Cross (menu screens).

Khaz

Cool, thanks! I work in a broadcast environment, and they are gutting a lot of their PVM/BVMs. It's sad/surreal to see them piled up to be likely thrown out.

Take them all home and sell them to retrogamers. It's criminal to let them be thrown to a landfill.

Peagles

I'm assuming you fed it with 240p, hence the vertical blurring?

Yep, I just tested with my equipment as is. Any way around this? I think it'd look a lot better without that blur.

Inputs? Model? Brand? Size?

Don't leave us hanging Peagles.

Inputs are composite, s-video, VGA, RGB SCART x2. I'm going to try the Dreamcast today. It's a Hyundai HLD20T (20"), but I can't find much info about it online at all.

Only thing I wish it had is component, or something I could somehow use my GC in progressive with.

Peltz

Yep, I just tested with my equipment as is. Any way around this? I think it'd look a lot better without that blur.

Inputs are composite, s-video, VGA, RGB SCART x2. I'm going to try the Dreamcast today. It's a Hyundai HLD20T (20"), but I can't find much info about it online at all.

Only thing I wish it had is component, or something I could somehow use my GC in progressive with.

Seems like a high end PC monitor from the early 2000s or late 90s based on your description. How's the ghosting/input delay on something like that?

Edit: Are you an EU/PAL gamer? That'd make sense. Can't say I've heard of many LCDs with RGB SCART.

goldenpp72

This video from MLIG might give you an idea on how to connect multiple consoles to the XRGB mini.
Ideally, you'd have an RGB switch.

I believe the only pitfall to look out for would be games that switch resolutions like Sonic 2 (in 2 player versus mode) or Chrono Cross (menu screens).

Rather than using just scart then since the switch is uncommon, would it be better to use some kind of scart to component adapter?

Rather than using just scart then since the switch is uncommon, would it be better to use some kind of scart to component adapter?

You could, but you'd also lose some color information. RGB separates the signal into red, green, and blue, while component video only separates the signal into chroma and luma. It's simply "3 is better than 2" when it comes to things like color separation.

KC-Slater

Take them all home and sell them to retrogamers. It's criminal to let them be thrown to a landfill.

Hahaha if only! I'll need a wagon or something to drag them all on to the subway. It's funny watching people walk by them, because those who know, know.

goldenpp72

You could, but you'd also lose some color information. RGB separates the signal into red, green, and blue, while component video only separates the signal into chroma and luma. It's simply "3 is better than 2" when it comes to things like color separation.

So other than hunting a ton of scart switchers there is no other way?

Peagles

Seems like a high end PC monitor from the early 2000s or late 90s based on your description. How's the ghosting/input delay on something like that?

Edit: Are you an EU/PAL gamer? That'd make sense. Can't say I've heard of many LCDs with RGB SCART.

New Zealand so yeh PAL but SCART is fairly uncommon here still. No ghosting that I noticed so far, input delay probably what you'd expect when being used to a CRT, but not crippling.

:( Please rescue what you can. Not even to sell them or whatever, just because anything else is too sad for me to think about.

KC-Slater

:( Please rescue what you can. Not even to sell them or whatever, just because anything else is too sad for me to think about.

I'll do what I can! I don't have a car, so that makes things tricky getting them home. I'll try to snap a photo of the pile and post it. They were all in this cage/bin thing in the basement, stacked with little regard. For all I know they may be broken already, but there are so many I doubt they started out that way. I want to try to score at least one for myself. They look to be about 14" or so screens. The two model-numbers I posted earlier is the only info I could attain so far.

Khaz

I assume you could convert the signal to 480p with the framemeister thingy, if it can just insert a black line in between every scan line in the original signal to stretch the image twice vertically. Though that would mean your black lines and scan lines would be of equal width and that may be too much for the eyes.

robot

I've been recently noticing some mild interference when using my framemeister. Subtle wavy patterns that are noticeable in black and certain shades of blue. It's not distracting, more like if you stare at a large solid area you can see it moving. It moves at a decent speed too.

Any idea what the issue could be? The unit is very close to my TV and sound bar. It's also being plugged in to a power strip (generic brand). Could one of these things be the cause of interference?

I'll do what I can! I don't have a car, so that makes things tricky getting them home. I'll try to snap a photo of the pile and post it. They were all in this cage/bin thing in the basement, stacked with little regard. For all I know they may be broken already, but there are so many I doubt they started out that way. I want to try to score at least one for myself. They like to be about 14" or so screens. The two model-numbers I posted earlier is the only info I could attain so far.

im in the toronto area and can stockpile some in my garage if they are going in the trash :D

will give them out to gaffers willing to come pick them up, for free

Weevilone

I have a couple nice multisync CRTs to give away in the St. Louis area. I don't want to deal with Craigslist nonsense. Is it appropriate to post details in this thread, fishing for new homes?

KC-Slater

im in the toronto area and can stockpile some in my garage if they are going in the trash :D

will give them out to gaffers willing to come pick them up, for free

I'll go downstairs again this afternoon and see what's up with them. I hope they would be cool and just let people (read: me) have them if they are just going to trash them anyway, but big companies are often silly when it comes to these kind to logical solutions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom