• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US lawmakers introduce bill to raise minimum wage, restaurant groups raise opposition

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's sad is this won't effect waiters at all. My mom got $2 an hour+ tips waiting tables in the late 70's, and waiters today still get $2/hour + tips. That just means the standard tipping % will artificially increase.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
On average tipped waiters and waitresses make more than minimum wage.

I saw a half hour special on I think PBS a couple weeks ago that was pretty devastating and suggested otherwise. Or at least, the weeks when a waiter makes more than minimum wage don't make up for the weeks when they earn less. When you're living paycheck to paycheck that makes it a tad difficult to survive. Wish I knew what channel this was so I could link to it...

Bombadil

Banned
If anyone here is wondering, I'm generally in favor of a raise in the minimum wage.

But you assume that minimum wage jobs are all temporary positions that people move up from after a while. Am I right in thinking this?

When corporations deny vertical movement, people are forced to stay at the bottom.

bangai-o

Banned
I saw a half hour special on I think PBS a couple weeks ago that was pretty devastating and suggested otherwise. Wish I knew what it was so I could link to it...

depends on the restaurant, location, local economy. etc. but mostly, servers get more than minimum wage.

Spongebob

Banned
You don't think the minimum we should expect for people who are working should be... well... living?
Why would a teen working at mcdonalds, or a university student working over the summer need to earn enough to live?

I don't think adults that aren't young students should even be working those kinds of jobs in the first place.

But you assume that minimum wage jobs are all temporary positions that people move up from after a while. Am I right in thinking this?

When corporations deny vertical movement, people are forced to stay at the bottom.
You're absolutely right, that's the way things should be. And since they aren't that way, I think that government has bigger things to fix than just raising the minimum wage.

RDreamer

Something has to give. It can either increase the cost of goods and services overall or raise the youth unemployment raise the youth unemployment of this country. Perhaps this won't affect big conglomerates nearly as much (like wal-mart) but it will definitely hurt small businesses the most.

No it won't. The companies that largely employ people at the minimum are huge conglomerates like Wal-Mart. Small businesses are effectively subsidizing the big businesses to kick them in the groin, since they pay into the system that pays for the difference in livable wage and not (Wal-Mart employees use government healthcare and receive food stamps more than other jobs).

Small businesses tend to pay a bit more than the large ones.

Both sides of the wage debate acknowledge that most small businesses pay more than the federal minimum to attract qualified workers

Ferrio

Banned
Why would a teen working at mcdonalds, or a university student working over the summer need to earn enough to live?

I don't think adults that aren't young students should even be working those kinds of jobs in the first place.

Well then you're not living in reality. There's a limited amount of high paying jobs, as well as momentary costs usually associated with getting them. Not everyone will be able to achieve them, or even given the opportunity to.

Wow two pages in and the thread hasn't devolved into a back and forth tipping thread. Well done!

I of course don't believe in tipping for the purposes of this post. Want more money? Get a better job. There's more out there than just restaurant work that a person with little to no meat on their resume can do.

Maybe to pay off their $25,000/yr tuition. ( another problem this country needs to fix )

Kad5

No it won't. The companies that largely employ people at the minimum are huge conglomerates like Wal-Mart. Small businesses are effectively subsidizing the big businesses to kick them in the groin, since they pay into the system that pays for the difference in livable wage and not (Wal-Mart employees use government healthcare and receive food stamps more than other jobs).

Small businesses tend to pay a bit more than the large ones.

So you don't think it can have any negative consequences at all? Not even an increase in the price of goods and services? Although to be fair that's probably going to happen regardless but it could make it worse.

Clevinger

What's sad is this won't effect waiters at all. My mom got $2 an hour+ tips waiting tables in the late 70's, and waiters today still get $2/hour + tips. That just means the standard tipping % will artificially increase.

Why is that sad? That's the free market. If she was worth more, she'd get more.

We wouldn't have to raise the minimum wage if it weren't for inflation. Just saying. The monetary policy in this country is garbage.

why would you raise the minimum wage if there wasn't inflation?

that's the level of value her services provide. if she thinks she deserves more, she should find someone willing to pay her more

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face

In an economy where it's tough to find any job at all, I don't think what you think matters.

Bombadil

Banned

You're absolutely right, that's the way things should be. And since they aren't that way, I think that government has bigger things to fix than just raising the minimum wage.

The government can't fix big problems when half of it is fighting against itself.

Damn.

Dead Man

dDF9i4P.png

KHarvey16

I saw a half hour special on I think PBS a couple weeks ago that was pretty devastating and suggested otherwise. Or at least, the weeks when a waiter makes more than minimum wage don't make up for the weeks when they earn less. When you're living paycheck to paycheck that makes it a tad difficult to survive. Wish I knew what channel this was so I could link to it...

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes353031.htm

On average you'd be hard pressed to find a job with the same low entry requirements that pays similarly.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Fuck you "job creators" who only offer positions of exploitation. Nobody needs that kind of job.

RDreamer

So you don't think it can have any negative consequences at all? Not even an increase in the price of goods and services? Although to be fair that's probably going to happen regardless but it could make it worse.

There will be a slight increase in the price of some goods, sure, but the increase in demand from the bottom rungs of the economic ladder would help the economy far more than the increase would hurt it. If you increase wages on those making minimum wage, they will spend it. It doesn't just sit there. They have to spend it. That leads to more demand and more jobs.

In a thriving economy, someone being well underpaid at a job can easily say "bye, I'm going elsewhere", and the manager would either say "okay bye" or "wait, would you stay if I increased your salary?"

Now, employers have all the leverage. employees feel fortunate just to have a job, and employers know this and can take advantage of this. "You want to leave? Okay, I have 30 applications I have in my office to replace you. Good luck finding another job out there."

Clevinger

In a thriving economy, someone being well underpaid at a job can easily say "bye, I'm going elsewhere", and the manager would either say "okay bye" or "wait, would you stay if I increased your salary?"

Now, employers have all the leverage. employees feel fortunate just to have a job, and employers know this and can take advantage of this. "You want to leave? Okay, I have 30 applications I have in my office to replace you. Good luck finding another job out there."

Ah. So you only like the free market when the economy is doing amazing and it's a little harder for corporations to fuck you over.

Kad5

There will be a slight increase in the price of some goods, sure, but the increase in demand from the bottom rungs of the economic ladder would help the economy far more than the increase would hurt it. If you increase wages on those making minimum wage, they will spend it. It doesn't just sit there. They have to spend it. That leads to more demand and more jobs.

Why? Personally i'm a fan of saving my money when I can. Hell maybe when I make enough of it i'll invest some of it in bitcoins or something so that the value of my money doesn't go down with inflation.

RDreamer

A hike in minimum wage could hurt a lot of small businesses which are barely surviving at the moment.

You know who this hurts more? Big businesses. The thing is that big business through sheer size are able to price goods lower and often pay their employees much less. This less pay is subsidized through state and federal government programs. Small businesses are right now subsidizing the big ones that are hurting them. Small businesses tend to pay a bit more in order to attract better talent and because they need people more dedicated to their jobs. By increasing minimum wage you put small businesses on a bit more of a level playing field with the larger ones.

Why? Personally i'm a fan of saving my money when I can. Hell maybe when I make enough of it i'll invest some of it in bitcoins or something so that the value of my money doesn't go down with inflation.

Your obsession with inflation proves you're clearly a crazy person and well outside the norm of someone who would be making minimum wage. I don't think you're a good case study on these sorts of things.

But seriously, why are you asking this? You're asking why people who have nothing would spend their money when they get it? Do I need to remind you the usual net worth of someone on the bottom rungs of the ladder here?

fallagin

I think increasing it with inflation is a really good idea, if its just every once in a while that its raised businesses can take ridiculous advantage of that.

Dead Man

If they hadn't opened those businesses a lot of the works that these businesses employ may have never found work.

Doesn't this prove my point?

You think only teenagers should be bartenders and gaming dealers? Only kids should be farm workers and labourers? That's going to be one fucked up economy you've got.

Ferrio

Banned
So the employees who work for these businesses won't have jobs? And therefore no pay anymore...

People get paid more. Means people can buy more goods/services, which means these businesses will get more money to afford these hikes, unless that business wasn't really in demand in the first place.

giga

Because that's how GDP grows. I like saving money too, but there's no denying that increases in disposable income usually leads to greater consumption in the macroeconomy.

Clevinger

So the employees who work for these businesses won't have jobs? And therefore no pay anymore...

Yes. Thankfully you give small business owners very little credit. They're not mostly made up of shitty businessmen/women or morons in the wrong market who can't even pay their employees.

Lamel

Banned
Since I have started working at my first real hourly wage job, I have come to realize that minimum wage is way too low. During winter break from college I worked 25 hours a week for $8 and made squat (I wasn't supporting myself with it); no way are people surviving off $7.25 an hour. That is paycheck to paycheck living.

Kad5

Because that's how GDP grows. I like saving money too, but there's no denying that increases in disposable income usually leads to greater consumption in the macroeconomy.

Sure but i'm just saying that not every single person is gonna spend the exact same way. In fact during a recession I can argue it's a very good idea to save your money.

Sure but i'm just saying that not every single person is gonna spend the exact same way. In fact during a recession I can argue it's a very good idea to save your money.

You do realizes that people who live on minimum wage can't save money at all because they just don't make enough. This gives a push towards wages being what they should be not what they are.

RDreamer

We're in a thread here talking about how these people cannot live on minimum wage. Do you know what that means? It means that they likely have bills they can't pay. They have checks bouncing. They're skimping on food that their children might need. And you think these sorts of people that can barely live when they get a small raise in salary are going to by and large shove it under their mattress and watch the value of bitcoins or something equally asinine?

Seriously, what world do you live in?

Kad5

You do realizes that people who live on minimum wage can't save money at all because they just don't make enough. This gives a push towards wages being what they should be not what they are.

Well you can use this same logic to support tax cuts for Americans (and not just the rich otherwise that's just stupid and counterproductive).

I mean look. At the very least i'm open to see what happens. I'm just worried that in the end it ends up doing more harm than good.

Jooney

Restaurant positions make up 7 of the bottom 10 lowest paid wages.

Restaurant workers go on food stamps at twice the rate of the national average.

Because they get paid so low, workers can't afford to get sick as there is no sick leave, and they cook and prepare your food whilst infected.

What are we even talking about? Raise the damn wage.

kingkitty

Yes, that's what I think. If my thinking isn't inline with reality then please tell me how I'm wrong.

I don't see how my post wasn't adding anything to this discussion. I posted what I thought about a possible increase to minimum wage and what I think would be a better long term solution. Once again, If my thinking is wrong I'd seriously like to know why it is.

I absolutely agree.

If people can't find better, higher paying jobs while they're flipping burgers, oh well. Maybe they should get a couple more minimum wage jobs if they're gonna whine all day about not affording healthcare, and being unable to pay the bills and whatever else poor people whine about.

Oh you're a single mother who can't see her child often because you're working a couple of jobs? Not my problem lady, should have worked harder for that higher paying gig.

It can only go up so much...

The real solution is for people to who work low skilled jobs to get skills and try to get jobs that pay more. Raising the minimum wage can only do so much (not a lot). It's not as if they're going to double minimum wage.

Also, since when were minimum wage jobs supposed to provide enough income to live on?

What is this

hteng

Banned
no doubt there'll impact on small business enterprises that rely too much on cheap labor, minimum wage will encourage them to innovate and be much more efficient.

Clevinger

Well you can use this same logic to support tax cuts for Americans (and not just the rich otherwise that's just stupid and counterproductive).

The people you're talking to (liberals) do also support tax cuts for the poor and middle class, especially the payroll tax.

Gallbaro

Banned
I do not understand why people want to link minimum wage to inflation.

Minimum wage is kind of the economic cause of inflation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom