• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US PSP UMD movie release list

Andy787

Banned
Released:
Hellboy: Director's Cut
House of Flying Daggers
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Once Upon a Time In Mexico
XXX
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

5/3
National Treasure
Hero
Reign of Fire

5/24
Are We There Yet?
Charlie's Angels

5/31
Boogeyman
Hollow Man

6/7
The Punisher

6/14
Hitch
Spider-Man: The New Animated Series
Daddy Day Care

6/21
Hostage
Cursed
King Arthur: Extended Unrated Director's Cut
Tron

6/24
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
National Lampoon's Van Wilder
Saw
Open Water

6/28
Anacondas: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid
The Grudge
You Got Served
The Three Stooges Meet Hercules

7/19
Kill Bill: Vol. 2
Armageddon
Gone in 60 Seconds Unrated Director's Cut
From Dusk Till Dawn

Released: 7
Upcoming: 27

Feel free to post if I missed any, or if you have a link to any other upcoming releases.

pcostabel

Gold Member
Spider-Man: The New Animated Series

I might get this one, eventually. I liked the cel shading, and the stories were pretty good.
Can't wait for the second series.
I wish they made a Spiderman game with that same style next gen....

Brofist

waiting for the obligatory "I'll buy a UMD only if it's packed with the DVD also for $4.99" or "why bother when I can watch my dvds on a 150" screen"

Mrbob

kpop100 said:
waiting for the obligatory "I'll buy a UMD only if it's packed with the DVD also for $4.99" or "why bother when I can watch my dvds on a 150" screen"

Don't forget the $5000 stereo system and 80" HDTV in the bathroom!

Manders

Banned
only seven movies have been released? that's not a good sign. how long are we giving this umd movie nonsense before everyone gives up on it? 2 years sounds about right to me.

seriously.

people say it's a gimmick, but it's far from a gimmick.
$20 is the most i'd pay for a umd movie. they're good for time wasters.
perfect incident was today at the movies. im waiting in the theatre for kung fu hustle to start. slip out my psp, BAM! Wonder Showzen.
Granted, that's a TV show, it's still good for time wastin'

JPRaup

Banned
What movies do you guys want?

Im want:

Released:
Hellboy: Director's Cut
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Once Upon a Time In Mexico
XXX
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

5/3
National Treasure

6/7
The Punisher

6/14
Hitch

6/21
Hostage
King Arthur: Extended Unrated Director's Cut

6/24
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
National Lampoon's Van Wilder
Saw
Open Water

7/19
Kill Bill: Vol. 2
Gone in 60 Seconds Unrated Director's Cut

only seven movies have been released? that's not a good sign. how long are we giving this umd movie nonsense before everyone gives up on it? 2 years sounds about right to me.

Let's see:

UMD - new format, only played on one piece of hardware
UMD - skepticism from movie companies, retailers, and gamers alike
UMD - new format, meant for on the go play

Can you think of a video format meant for play on the go that has been....out? Besides huge ass portable DVD players. And those crappy 20 minute Pokemon movies playable on your wonderful low res, 3 inch gba
7 movies is fine for one week, given the skepticism. and they've been selling well.

.hacked

tsp_gatmog said:
seriously.

people say it's a gimmick, but it's far from a gimmick.
$20 is the most i'd pay for a umd movie. they're good for time wasters.
perfect incident was today at the movies. im waiting in the theatre for kung fu hustle to start. slip out my psp, BAM! Wonder Showzen.
Granted, that's a TV show, it's still good for time wastin'

Whipping out a PSP before a movie, you must have been a hit with the gurls.

Manders

Banned
tsp_gatmog said:
Let's see:

Can you think of a video format meant for play on the go that has been....out? Besides huge ass portable DVD players. And those crappy 20 minute Pokemon movies playable on your wonderful low res, 3 inch gba
7 movies is fine for one week, given the skepticism. and they've been selling well.

how hard/expensive could it be to put a movie on umd? should be a lot more than 7 released thus far. and aren't they all sony movies? who else is backing this? :lol

Not a decent movie on the list but I will probably get Terminator 2. I would say Kill Bill but it sucks.

There better be American History X, Pulp Fiction, and Training Day eventually coming to it.

.hacked

anyway, I think UMD of TV shows might be a good idea (short eps, Adultswim would rock) but 2hr movies on a PSP where that batt life is so iffy is a waste.

Really you would have to have an almost full charge on your PSP or plug it in to watch a flick.

ChrisReid

Manders said:
how hard/expensive could it be to put a movie on umd? should be a lot more than 7 released thus far. and aren't they all sony movies? who else is backing this? :lol

Eh, that's incredibly oversimplifying things. They could make a hundred movies for the UMD if they wanted to, but retailers won't devote the shelf space to a niche of a niche product like that. They'll start slow and see how they sell and gradually release more titles as people start becoming more interested and the PSP user base grows. That's all there is to it. "LOL" indeed.

Andy787

Banned
I would so buy every season of Aqua Teen if they put it out on UMD. That would be the absolute perfect thing to have as far as video on PSP, imo.

I would probably buy seasons of longer animated shows, too, like Family Guy and Futurama, provided they were the same or slightly cheaper than the DVD versions. But I don't know how they're going to handle multi-UMD content, either.

And yeah, if the actual series isn't going to be coming to UMD any time soon, at least bring over Bebop the movie, Sony. I would definitely buy it, and I'm sure it would pique the interest of the distributors of the series if it did reletively well, and perhaps other anime companies as well.

Wasn't there supposed to be a standalone release for the Spiderman 2 movie UMD? You know, for us sad folk who received a post-1st release PSP?

Andy787

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
The only movies I see there are made by sony.
Like half or more of the list is Buena Vista (Disney) and Lion's Gate stuff.

And personally, I think Kill Bill 1 and 2, Hero, Terminator 2, and Pirates of the Caribbean are great movies, though I agree that everything else there sucks (haven't seen House of Flying Daggers though).

MetalAlien

Banned
The PSP is not THAT much smaller than a portable DVD player and you can actually hear the movie without headphones. I think the whole UMD movie thing is a mistake. Let us make our own UMD movies and it would work.

http://www.angelfire.com/al/metalalien/pictures/dvd_psp.JPG

dvd_psp.JPG

tsp_gatmog said:
Let's see:

Ironclad

Andy787 said:
Hell yes! Tron is one of my favorite movies. Even though I have it on DVD, and I could just convert it onto my memory stick, I wouldn't mind having it on a UMD for better quality.

Belfast

.hacked said:
Whipping out a PSP before a movie, you must have been a hit with the gurls.

Actually, when I took out my PSP to Link Battle in MGA while waiting for Sin City, about 7-8 different people, both guys and girls (though, ironically, mosrtly girls) were interested in it and wanted to see. And to the guy above who posted about Wonder Showzen, good choice man! Its in regular rotation on my 512MB.

aoi tsuki

MetalAlien said:
The PSP is not THAT much smaller than a portable DVD player and you can actually hear the movie without headphones. I think the whole UMD movie thing is a mistake. Let us make our own UMD movies and it would work.

dvd_psp.JPG
If you want to watch movies on the go, get a portable DVD player. Similarly, if you want to listen to music on the go, get a CD, MD, or MP3 player.

Also, you could've used a better portable DVD player in your example. The PSP looks roughly one quarter the volume of the portable DVD player. i'd say that's much smaller.

MetalAlien

Banned
aoi tsuki said:
If you want to watch movies on the go, get a portable DVD player. Similarly, if you want to listen to music on the go, get a CD, MD, or MP3 player.

Also, you could've used a better portable DVD player in your example. The PSP looks roughly one quarter the volume of the portable DVD player. i'd say that's much smaller.

DVD players don't get smaller than the L50.. But it's roughly the size of a CD player. That's pretty small.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
MetalAlien said:

dvd_psp.JPG

I have yet to find a portable DVD player that will fit in my pocket whereas many media center devices.. and the PSP will.

the psp isn't meant to be just for movies

or just for music

to me, its 70% games
20% video
10% music ( i have a 30 gig nomad)

and 100% awesome

.hacked

Look if you want to watch movies on the go get a portable DVD player. If you want to go half-assed convert your own DVDs to memstick to watch on the PSP.

Don't buy cropped versions of these movies on UMD for the same price if not more than the DVD, you are just being stupid.

i'm not

512 all the way

right now, i have:
3 magazines (ty, pspmagazines.net)
Sin City
An episode of Wonder Showzen
Billy Corgan's new song, A100

on a 512

i'm probably going to never buy a umd, unless it's some special 'umd only' thing that i really want. Or Akira. Or Cowboy Bebop.

.hacked said:
Look if you want to watch movies on the go get a portable DVD player. If you want to go half-assed convert your own DVDs to memstick to watch on the PSP.

Don't buy cropped versions of these movies on UMD for the same price if not more than the DVD, you are just being stupid.

Ofcourse something built specifically for playing DVD's would be better if thats all you were buying the PSP for. The appeal of the PSP though is that its not just about watching movies, it's an all in one portable media player. Throw a movie, music, tv show ect. onto a mem stick along with a game that's already in the system and you start getting the point. It's basically what people want now, they want things that can do everything instead of something that can just do 1 thing.

aoi tsuki

SolidSnakex said:
Ofcourse something built specifically for playing DVD's would be better if thats all you were buying the PSP for. The appeal of the PSP though is that its not just about watching movies, it's an all in one portable media player. Throw a movie, music, tv show ect. onto a mem stick along with a game that's already in the system and you start getting the point. It's basically what people want now, they want things that can do everything instead of something that can just do 1 thing.
Exactly. The "Walkman of the 21st Century" comment is exaggerated at this stage of the game, but that's the concept they're shooting for. And why not? PSP has the innate processing power to process music and video as well as games. UMD movies are a logical step for Sony, as i said before, an alternative for those who want to watch movies on the go. i think all of us PSP owners, regardless of whether we're sold on the idea of UMD movies, will end up with at least a couple in a few years.

AB 101

Banned
I would like to get a few UMD's for my PSp but the price points are way out of line.

I would not mind paying $19.99 for a few of my all time favorites but I think UMD's should not be more than $14.99.

It is nice to see them selling pretty well. Would like to see some solid sales figures.

Sounds similar to the situation when PS2 launched in Japan. People wanted a cheap DVD player. ;)

A jack-of-all-trades but master of none.

[sarcasm]I agree, gaming sucks on it.[/sarcasm]

A HD in the PSP would make it the bomb. Of course, it would about kill it price wise too.

Sony maybe couild have done it but then skimped big time on the display and that would have been a mistake.

.hacked said:
You gotta have one big ass pocket to fit a PSP (with case) and a few UMD movies.

:lol

Not really, PSP games (with those little cover cases) can go in one pocket and a PSP with a front cover can go in your other pocket. It's not really that big of a deal.

Ponn

Banned
It fits in my pocket in the case it came with and some UMD's just fine. Even have my head phones in there.

Top Bottom