• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US Soccer Referee Dies After Punch

Status
Not open for further replies.

s7evn

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1435759/utah-soccer-referee-dies-being-punched-player?cc=5901

Saw that he was in a coma earlier this week and now he's passed on.

A Utah soccer referee who slipped into a coma after being punched by a teenage player during a game a week ago died Saturday night, police said.

Ricardo Portillo, 46, of Salt Lake City passed away at the hospital, where he was being treated following an assault, Unified police spokesman Justin Hoyal said.

Police have accused a 17-year-old player in a recreational soccer league of punching Portillo after the man called a foul on him and issued him a yellow card.
Portillo suffered swelling in his brain and had been listed in critical condition, Dr. Shawn Smith said Thursday at the Intermountain Medical Center in the Salt Lake City suburb of Murray.

More at the link.

edit: I believe the kid will be charged with manslaughter, he was being held on assault charges.
25069472.jpg

Damn, terrible way to go.

And I imagine that the kid feels terrible, too.

This is actually a reason that I'm afraid to punch anyone. Kid should have thought his actions through.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
That's both so incredibly sad and so incredibly terrifying. I feel terrible for that guy's family.

Fucking idiot kid.

Lakitu

st5fu
The 17-year-old upset about getting a yellow card and giving away a foul? He clearly has some severe issues. Poor referee.

Ducarmel

Just senseless its just a game and will never be worth someones life.

The kid deserved jail time for the assault and now manslaughter.

Curtisaur

Forum Landmine
What the fuck is wrong with people? I'm trying to think of the thought process of the dickweed kid.

I'm not happy with a call so I'll just punch 'til it changes. It can't make it worse for me, at least not in the long term.

Oh. Shit. It has made it worse for me in the long term. I hope I will enjoy prison. Maybe we can get a Longest Yard thing going but for soccer.

?

Tenck

Who lashes out at a referee for a yellow card? Seriously, just keep playing and don't foul again. That or you can just kill someone by punching them in the head. Your choice.

DR2K

Banned
When you punch someone obviously the intent isn't to kill. Especially if it's just one.

Still, horrible way to go.

Of course it's bad. But again you have people wanting the kid locked up forever lol.

Yeah of course that's not really the right response either.. Kid's only 17 and I sure hope this wasn't his intention. It is however not the first time a soccer referee has died from this kind of violence. It has happened multiple times here in the Netherlands.. :(

I use to play soccer in my younger days and boy there were days where I wanted to punch the referee for some calls. The kid over reacted, definitely not his intention to kill the poor man but you reap what you sow

syllogism

Unless the punch was especially powerful, I think the one-punch killer shouldn't be liable for more than an assault. Serious injury isn't foreseeable and death is extremely unlikely. The exact circumstances of course matter, but intent and the likely consequences of the actions should prima facie determine liability.

DR2K

Banned
no one here thinks the kid can be rehabilitated? i don' think he meant to kill the dude by punching him.

He needs anger managment, but he doesn't need any sort of hardcore rehibilitation. Accidents happen, this was one of them. Why do you think the law recognizes criminal intent?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Nope. An accident is slipping over, not throwing a punch at a man's head.
There was no intent to kill. He will not be getting murder 1 or murder 2.

The kid deserves what is coming to him but by the legal definition he will not be charged with murder.

Wow. Very sad.

I think this falls into Voluntary Manslaughter territory.
Malicious intent to bodily harm (but not kill), however death resulted.

Humans are fragile and you can easily kill one with a punch to the head.

Though usually it's because they hit the ground hard with their head afterwards while being briefly unable to prepare for the impact, or am I misinformed?
I don't think there are many cases like this, especially if were talking people w/ no fighting experience. This kind of force should usually not induce a brain swelling that kills him later.

Nope. An accident is slipping over, not throwing a punch at a man's head.

so if i'm walking, and you're in my way, and i push you, and somehow, all the things in the universe seem to connect, and you lose balance, and you fall, and then you hit your head and you die,

I should be tried for 1st degree murder, and be given the chance at the death penalty or life without parole?

Gotcha

Though usually it's because they hit the ground hard with their head afterwards while being briefly unable to prepare for the impact, or am I misinformed?
You're right. That's also quite common. The point is, it doesn't require much to get a fatal injury. Dropping to the ground is not very far and that can be enough force to kill someone.

Wtf at people calling for life without parole. If everyone that got punched ended up dying, 90% of the population would be behind bars. A couple of years maybe, but i would hope our society isnt cruel enough to try and completely destroy someone's life.

akira28

no one here thinks the kid can be rehabilitated? i don' think he meant to kill the dude by punching him.

no one cares. kids a punk and needs jailtime. I wouldn't ask for murder charges, but fuck dude. This isn't a kick in the shins or a punch in the shoulder. He intended to do this person harm, and killed him. Punishment is warranted. 7+ years in prison seems fair.

This isn't someone robbing a liquor store because he's an addict or hungry and penniless. This was plain maliciousness. Of course he can be rehabbed, but he needs to feel the weight of his actions too.

syllogism

Tip to amateur lawyer GAF, you can, in fact be charged with 2nd degree murder for punching someone who later dies.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/19636548/murder-charges-in-deadly-punch-of-student-in-st-cloud
I'm not talking about what he can be charged with, but what he should be. While I don't have statistics to back it up, it's safe to assume that it's very, very rare for a punch in the head to kill or seriously injure someone. It's probably not meaningfully more likely to kill someone than a strong push.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom