• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

usa ps2 imports - where

Jefklak

I know there have been enough threads about importing stuff and hardware, even about ps2s. But they are all about importing a japanese PS2 - which essentially is easy: www.play-asia.com and you're set. Since lik-sang is dead I was wondering where it's best to import a USA playstation 2 slim. I thought vg+ (€98 converted, pretty nice) but when I saw the shipping costs I loled (59 CAD). Play-asia only sells japanese ps2s...

Any shop or so where it's relatively cheap and shipping costs are OK, plus customs don't f*ck it over? the package will be kinda heavy, never imported a console before except the gameboy micro (woah so small box, nice). So yeah, some advice is welcome. I don't even know if importing is the best solution. I am planning to use the ps2 only for strategy rpgs (disgaea, FFT ea). Since FFT is hard to get and just impossible in PAL form... (is it even released in europe?)
Or is there any kind of solderless modding system which works relatively well?

Essentially this is a "omg I want tactics ogre: let us cling together english psx port but it's so expensive" thread in disguise.

Jefklak

Bootaaay, you mean something like this? http://www.mod-chip.com/index-cart-us.php?go=en/select_ps2_main.htm
How do those things work, seems like a lot of fiddling to correctly place the "tools". Do you have to insert the swapmagic discs everytime you want to load an NTSC game, I suppose so? That's blergkh. I don't really intend to play any PAL games anyway, play-asia and vg+ import FTW, so cheap it's crazy. (Compared to PAL prices that is)

Coincidence that a thread like this popped up, i was just about to purchase a US PS2 from VG+ until finding out that they wanted US$120for shipment; ugh.

NSCX doesnt seem bad, although paying US$200 is a tad excessive. Other any other good deals available for a new PS2?

Top Bottom