• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USA Today: ROCK BAND 3 revealed

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Check this riff. It's fucking tasty.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
ChoklitReign said:
I just call the things that go down notes, it's not literal. In basic mode, I assumed they represented five frets and you just strum to play them (I don't know what tabs are). So now in pro mode, the location of these "notes" now represents which string to strum and the frets are represented by hard-to-read numbers. They could've made it like the keyboard and show all the frets divided by colors on the board (I don't know how they could show the string numbers this way).
They're harder to read in that gif than they will be >99% of the time. They're bunched together because that part of the solo is fast. Also, higher scrolling settings space them out more. (but also give you less time to read them)Hopefully they have better options for that than they did in RB2.

DJ_Tet

Banned
I hope that the pro mode doesn't just focus on solos, hopefully there is a lot of good chord work too.

I would love for there to be a lead and backup guitar parts in the pro mode, as well as support for midi bass.

Perhaps they are saving that for Rock Band 4.

edit: It's also easy to imagine a scenario where this 'Rock Band Platform' is successful enough to support 'tutorial' spinoff games like the Wii has with the fitness industry. What if you had a 'Slash teaches you how to Shred' game where Slash taught you how to play like he does with interactive tutorials? There could be multiple programs put out for all the supported midi instruments.

I think it's fantastic and really hope this pushes the music industry in the future.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
DJ_Tet said:
I hope that the pro mode doesn't just focus on solos, hopefully there is a lot of good chord work too.

I would love for there to be a lead and backup guitar parts in the pro mode, as well as support for midi bass.

Perhaps they are saving that for Rock Band 4.

There's fleeting glances of Pro Guitar in some videos where it's just power chords. So you should be fine there.

Raistlin said:
Obviously using it during something like that isn't the intent.

And typically, you don't need it during such a section once you get down the positioning.
It states the chord name to the left of the board when they are scrolling.

Terrordactyl said:
It shows the fret number on the board, to the side it names the chord, pretty ingenious if you ask me.

That's awesome then. I haven't seen any video of the chords (or if I have I missed it)

Raistlin

Ding said:
Alesis "Surge" cymbals are real (albeit cheap) cymbals, covered in plastic. This quiets them down. However, they are still much louder than "normal" cymbal triggers, and (I've read) don't trigger nearly as consistently as more conventional cymbal sensors. And surprisingly, they don't feel very good either. The clear coating is much slipperier than either a real cymbal, or a conventional cymbal pad. So, no, high-end kits don't tend to use Alesis stuff in general, and Surge cymbals in particular. Roland pretty much has that market sown up. This is unfortunate since Roland's stuff is fully priced. It does work extremely well, however.

Thanks for the info! What I'm looking for is a decent entry point into MIDI drumming. Something above ION, but not crazy. I was hoping the Alesis USB Pro might fit that bill?

Basically I'm not expecting the world, just some decent decent triggers and HW. I figure I'll upgrade the actual drums/symbols as needed. Would the Alesis would work in such a scenario? Or would you advise moving up a bit to an entry-level Roland? If so, any recommendations for a good starting point?

ahvostik

New 6 minute USA Today video discussing Pro Guitar just hit youtube.

EPIC!

83 training videos for each song on the game. They even show you fingering for the guitar chords and the single notes.

watch this video!

picture_1_fr8925.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AAy-NGf2VQ&feature=channel

I know it looks like "oh, I've already seen this" - but you haven't.

sorry if it was already answered:
Do we know what happens if your band setup consists e.g. of a singer, a pro guitar player and a keyboard player and a RB2 song comes up in your playlist? Will this result in only the singer being able to play or will they prevent you in this setup from starting songs that are not compatible with the new RB3 stuff?

though at least in the video above he says you will be able to play ALL RB songs with the pro drums, interesting.

another uninformed question (I don't have RB Beatles etc.): Can you use multiple mics in any song, i.e. do the singers sing the same parts?

ahvostik

SolidusDave said:
though at least in the video above he says you will be able to play ALL RB songs with the pro drums, interesting.

I can help you out with this at least - apparently nearly all Rock Band tracks already have cymbal info authored into them. They haven't said specifically which tracks don't have the cymbal info but have just vaguely said "except for some of the old legacy rock band tracks, all the tracks have cymbal info already tracked into them"

I'm thinking everything except the RB1 export songs will have cymbal information charted into them. which is awesome.

SolidusDave said:
another uninformed question (I don't have RB Beatles etc.): Can you use multiple mics in any song, i.e. do the singers sing the same parts?
Beatles does that, so I'm assuming this will be the same for any song from now on with more than 1 mic.

Woffls

Oh sweet jesus Rainbow in the Dark >_< Dio \m/

I've been waiting for this song for so damn long. I think I'll rent this to play the awesome songs and wait for it to drop to £25.

Watched that video and I don't really want that level of complexity in my games. This is where I draw the line and just pick up my electric instead. I'm also very reserved about reading fret numbers in real time...

UraMallas said:
10 years from now there will be an amazing musician in this world who learned how to play all of his instruments from Rock Band...
In 10 years time I'd hope there'd be an amazing musician who recorded his first album with Rock Band. No doubt Harmonix will hit a point where the logical next step of innovation will be to allow all users to record their own stuff using what will essentially be real instruments.

AMUSIX

SolidusDave said:
sorry if it was already answered:
Do we know what happens if your band setup consists e.g. of a singer, a pro guitar player and a keyboard player and a RB2 song comes up in your playlist? Will this result in only the singer being able to play or will they prevent you in this setup from starting songs that are not compatible with the new RB3 stuff?
Since the pro guitars (the one in the video above and the squire) register to the system as a different controller type from the real ones, then the game will simply not list those songs without the 'pro guitar' part charted when they're present. Pretty much the same way the game won't list instrumentals if you have a singer logged in.

As for the chord markings seen in the videos. Those are not chord names, they're chord shapes. The bar on the highway indicates where you're playing the chord, and what strings to strum, but the letter to the side indicates in what position your fingers should be. It sounds a little confusing, but is something a training mode can easily teach.

Watched that video and I don't really want that level of complexity in my games. This is where I draw the line and just pick up my electric instead. I'm also very reserved about reading fret numbers in real time...
RB3 seems to be two things. On one hand, it's a game, just like all the other rhythm plastic-instrument games. There's absolutely nothing to stop you from enjoying that side.

The 'pro mode' is less game, and more guitar instruction software in the wrappings of a game. The complexity is there because, ultimately, the instrument is that complex (when compared to the traditional game controllers) but, like any good instruction, the beginning levels of the pro mode are very simplistic, and start out teaching basic guitar skills.

DJ_Tet

Banned
ahvostik said:
watch this video!

Thanks for posting that. I couldn't be more excited about this game.

I had burned out on RB but now I'm trying to figure out how to get all the games/songs in for the cheapest amount :lol

edit: I really hope they go back and 'pro' up their back catalogue though. It would be a shame not to be able to play those songs on the realtar. Also, that was the pro controller in the video right? Looked better than I imagined with the keystrings.

ahvostik said:

EPIC!

83 training videos for each song on the game. They even show you fingering for the guitar chords and the single notes.

watch this video!

picture_1_fr8925.png

Drool. Want game now! And did I understand him correctly about the two controllers? Was he meaning the pro and the squire, or the pro guitar and pro bass?

Margalis

Banned
I have to wonder what the target audience for this is.

Guitar Hero got big because it was the kind of thing you could play at a party, as a family, after work with your co-workers, etc. From my experience very few of the people I know who enjoyed Guitar Hero would have any interest in pro mode.

Margalis said:

Guitar Hero got big because it was the kind of thing you could play at a party, as a family, after work with your co-workers, etc. From my experience very few of the people I know who enjoyed Guitar Hero would have any interest in pro mode.
That is why the legacy mode I'd still there.

LaneDS

The keyboard announcement had me excited, but that video with the explanation of Pro Guitar has me super amped. Will be purchasing for sure.

I also want lots and lots of Ben Folds songs to play on the keyboard.

Minsc

Gold Member
Margalis said:

I think the bigger problem is how do you sell the userbase anything? Aren't they all basically bored of this gameplay now? Pushing buttons on a fake guitar is only fun for so long I'd think, why would they come back for basically the same thing they've done and have?

Red

ahvostik said:

EPIC!

watch this video!

picture_1_fr8925.png

I want you
I want you so bad
I want you,
I want you so bad
It’s driving me mad, it’s driving me mad

bathala said:
OMG I'm going to learn how to play a guitar.

I'm glad I held up from buying RB2
And missed out on two years of gaming goodness. And all those songs would work in legacy mode in RB3.

Having said that, OMG I am finally going to learn guitar and actually use the real one my wife bought me years ago.and my wife will refine her keyboard skills too. It's too bad they can't teach me not to be tone deaf while singing.

bathala

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:
And missed out on two years of gaming goodness. And all those songs would work in legacy mode in RB3.

Having said that, OMG I am finally going to learn guitar and actually use the real one my wife bought me years ago.and my wife will refine her keyboard skills too. It's too bad they can't teach me not to be tone deaf while singing.
aren't rb2 music dlc? or I have to buy the game (which should be cheap now)

Raistlin

Assuming I'm not laid off (I should find out this week :\) ... I can't believe how much wallet destruction I've signed myself up for within the last few days.

* iPhone 4 ... plan on pre-ordering the white

* Fender Strat MIDI Guitar

* Since all songs will now support 'full' drumming in pro-mode, and Harmonix is releasing a MIDI adapter that will support edrums ... I think I'm finally going to bite the bullet and get an ekit. The problem is, the more I look into it ... the more the Roland TD9-SX seems to be what I'd want. Throw in a double-bass and a monitor ...

.... wallet am so cry :eek:

Druz

Complete music list anywhere? If there still isn't Muse or Incubus I'm going to be a baby and not buy it.

Ridley327

Druz said:
Complete music list anywhere? If there still isn't Muse or Incubus I'm going to be a baby and not buy it.

They've only announced 22 songs thus far, but it's been heavily hinted at there being further announcements for the setlist to occur at MS's conference tomorrow.

Ridley327 said:
The vocal engine apparently has auto-tune built into it now, so you may not be out of luck yet. :lol :lol :lol
That doesn't help the people in the room that would have to hear me live. I don't sing with anyone else in the room, not even my wife. I am that bad at vocals. I have a hard time passing most things on easy and medium. However I can 5 star "Sex Machine" on expert vocals.

Minsc said:
I think the bigger problem is how do you sell the userbase anything? Aren't they all basically bored of this gameplay now? Pushing buttons on a fake guitar is only fun for so long I'd think, why would they come back for basically the same thing they've done and have?

Been two years and I am still playing as much as I possibly can. Granted, it hasn't been that much lately, but that's more to do with my schedule than a lowered interest on my part. That being stated, I have no real interest in Pro Mode yet. If RB3 ever gets boring though at least I know that I can man up and learn to play the real thing. RB3 could be my GOTF.

thcsquad

PhoncipleBone said:
We're more likeley to get Prince than Zep. Of course, pro mode might be what pushes both artists to let their stuff in games.

I thought the problem with Led Zeppelin was access to their masters?

Ridley327

thcsquad said:
I thought the problem with Led Zeppelin was access to their masters?

No one actually believes this anymore, especially after Harmonix had absolutely no problem letting Apple Corps do all of the work for the Beatles masters.

$$$

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Rodrigo y Gabriela <3

I'm also surprised Canon Rock hasn't made it in the game yet. Not even in Guitar Hero. It's literally screaming, "Put me in the game already!"

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
jamesinclair said:
Ok, Im interested.

However, theres no way this is cheap, it WILL be a sales bomba.

Im not saying it will be bad, it might be amazing, but I dont expect profits.

Also, he said tapping! Please include Rodrigo y Gabriela!
(my video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwBvLmYkEl0

Rodrigo y Gabriela are already on their way via Rock Band Network. (Buster Voodoo, specifically.)

And even though I highly doubt this'll bomba, that song, the Network, everything, is why Harmonix probably doesn't care- they've got a massive DLC store built up already. The game itself can be a loss leader as long as they pull the people they have in to buy a ton of DLC tracks.

As someone that's always wanted to learn guitar, the promode walking you through everything, teaching you strings and chords, spelling things out for you, etc., is VERY enticing to me and Im absolutely interested.

That said, there is no way that a realtar, keyboard, and game will be less than $250 bucks for everything. With a side room filled with plastic instruments, a cruise in October, going to Chicago in August, already driving up for one Colts game in October, thats pretty much an impossible sell to the wife.

If it turns out to be as badass as it looks, I'll have to find a way though. :D

Top Bottom