• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USC Student: 'Police said I wasn't raped because he didn't orgasm'

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a strange and worrisome story.

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/22/usc-rape-investigation_n_3607954.html

USC Student: Police Said I Wasn't Raped Because He Didn't Orgasm

Posted: 07/22/2013 2:42 pm EDT | Updated: 07/23/2013 12:49 pm EDT

The University of Southern California is facing a federal investigation for alleged failures by school officials and campus police to prosecute rape.

In response to a Title IX complaint filed in May, the U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights launched the inquiry on June 26, although complainants only received notice over the weekend that the investigation had begun. A group of 13 students, along with several other unnamed students, claim they suffered from extensive failures on the part of USC administrators and the Department of Public Safety in responding to reports of sexual violence on campus.

OCR program manager Charles R. Love confirmed in a letter to USC student Tucker Reed, obtained by The Huffington Post, that the agency is investigating allegations the university failed to prosecute and adjudicate claims of sexual violence and to respond promptly to complaints of harassment on campus. Such failures would be violations of Title IX, a federal gender equality law.

Jody Shipper, USC Title IX coordinator and executive director of the Office of Equity and Diversity, said the university "remains vigilant in addressing any issues promptly and fully as they arise," and has been reviewing its policies to ensure they comply with federal law.

"We look forward to working with OCR to address any concerns and review our protocols as needed," Shipper said.

Reed, the lead complainant, said USC dismissed her claim that her ex-boyfriend had raped her, despite her providing audio recordings of him admitting to it. At one point, Reed said, a USC official told her the goal was to offer an "educative" process, not to "punish" the assailant.

"The problems are rampant within every department, pretty much every service on campus," Reed told HuffPost, adding, "There is an overwhelming disregard for women and students going through obvious trauma, and they traumatized them further."

One student involved in the USC complaint, who asked to remain anonymous, said a DPS detective told her the campus police determined that no rape occurred in her case because her alleged assailant did not orgasm, and that therefore they had decided not to refer the case to the Los Angeles Police Department.

"Because he stopped, it was not rape," she was told, according to the complaint. "Even though his penis penetrated your vagina, because he stopped, it was not a crime."

A student judicial affairs official cited a similar reason to that student for dismissing the case, meaning that her alleged assailant would not face any court proceeding.

When another student went to the DPS to report a sexual assault at a fraternity event, according to the complaint, an officer told her and a friend, also a sexual assault survivor who had accompanied her, that women should not "go out, get drunk and expect not to get raped."

The complaint claims that when students were found guilty of sexual assault, some were given light punishments, including a formal letter to stay away from the victim, and were allowed to graduate from the university.

Love, of the OCR, wrote that the office had dismissed some aspects of the complaint because students had not provided enough information, because the agency does not have jurisdiction for the allegation, or because the incident occurred more than 180 days prior to filing the complaint, surpassing the agency's time limit.

OCR is currently engaged in similar investigations at Occidental College in Los Angeles, Swarthmore College near Philadelphia, the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill and the University of Colorado at Boulder.

USC student Alexa Schwartz said filing the complaint hadn't been easy, but she's hopeful a federal review may result in improvements at the university.

"Now the ball is in USC's court," Schwartz said. "Their response will determine whether all this effort has paid off."

The complainants' goal for the investigation is less about punishing the private university, said Francesca Bessey, who is part of that group, than about ensuring college students around the country get a better response from their schools in the future.

"For me," Bessey said, "the technical outcome of the investigation is much less important than the consciousness I want it to inspire among decision makers at colleges and universities nationwide."

RBH

One student involved in the USC complaint, who asked to remain anonymous, said a DPS detective told her the campus police determined that no rape occurred in her case because her alleged assailant did not orgasm, and that therefore they had decided not to refer the case to the Los Angeles Police Department.

"Because he stopped, it was not rape," she was told, according to the complaint. "Even though his penis penetrated your vagina, because he stopped, it was not a crime."

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Sometimes I wonder if those idiots would be so lenient if the victims were their own daughters.

The lack of empathy is soul emptying.

entremet

I feel universities have been neglecting this stuff for years, right? They don't their reputations sullied. But it will be worse now.

Good to see federal action.

This kind of thing is a real problem in Universities in many places. My mother was forwarded a complaint by a head of school under her at a prominent Australian university, the complaint was that a student had been raped by a lecturer, the head of school asked her if they should refer it to the police or 'handle it in house', stating that the latter was preferable.

Argh.

entremet

This kind of thing is a real problem in Universities in many places. My mother was forwarded a complaint by a head of school under her at a prominent Australian university, the complaint was that a student had been raped by a lecturer, the head of school asked her if they should refer it to the police or 'handle it in house', stating that the latter was preferable.

Argh.

Yeah. Universities want to sweep it under the rug. It's disgusting.

jgmo870

Banned
This is why you go to the city's police instead of the university's. Universities will bend over backwards to cover up any negative publicity they possibly can even if it means protecting rapists.

Yeah. Universities want to sweep it under the rug. It's disgusting.

It would seem counter to the reputation that universities have as hotbeds for liberal sedition. I wonder if there is a difference across faculties, like, would it be more likely to be treated seriously within the arts/humanities because of the existence of gender studies departments and the like?

At the place I studied, the Dean whom one of the buildings was named after was famous for offering a mark increase to certain chosen students, if you came into his office and he offered you a drink, everyone knew what was expected... that was a while ago but I hear similar stories every now and again of that kind of culture.

Christine

When another student went to the DPS to report a sexual assault at a fraternity event, according to the complaint, an officer told her and a friend, also a sexual assault survivor who had accompanied her, that women should not "go out, get drunk and expect not to get raped."

I just knew the real problem here was going to be the unreasonable expectations that women tend to have.

Sometimes I wonder if those idiots would be so lenient if the victims were their own daughters.

The lack of empathy is soul emptying.

People get desensitized to some pretty shocking things when they deal with it day in and day out. Couple that with dealing with liars and shitty, entitled people all day every day and people become extremely cynical.

Police officers, ER staff, ambulance crews, and soldiers are just a few people that grow cynical pretty fast!

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
People get desensitized to some pretty shocking things when they deal with it day in and day out. Couple that with dealing with liars and shitty, entitled people all day every day and people become extremely cynical.

Police officers, ER staff, ambulance crews, and soldiers are just a few people that grow cynical pretty fast!

There's a huge difference between being a cynic and enabling criminals.

Reed, the lead complainant, said USC dismissed her claim that her ex-boyfriend had raped her, despite her providing audio recordings of him admitting to it. At one point, Reed said, a USC official told her the goal was to offer an "educative" process, not to "punish" the assailant.

This is simply astonishing. Not a very competent authority working this case imo.

also this:

The nerve, man. This student got some grandiose nuts for saying that shit.

Love, of the OCR, wrote that the office had dismissed some aspects of the complaint because students had not provided enough information,

She had a fucking recording of him admitting the crime. The questioning of "not enough information" is ridiculous.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Is there a time limit? Like if a dude kept himself hard for hours while penetrated. "We have to wait and see if he cums or not before we can arrest him." "Just get him the fuck off me." "See if you can move around and make him cum." "You want me to willingly fuck him?"

Amir0x

Banned
B...because he stopped it's not rape? He penetrated her, but it's not rape because she wasn't forced to endure however much more of that experience until he came? I mean, what in the universe. Is that guy a Republican?

slit

How can anyone look at a rape victim and say that with a straight face? What scum.

This is weird. The girl had a recording, what more proof did he wanted?

Unless the guy immediately stopped once the girl screamed but it was still against her will.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Sorry. Don't believe it. No institution is that dumb.

This is why you go to the city's police instead of the university's. Universities will bend over backwards to cover up any negative publicity they possibly can even if it means protecting rapists.

This x1000. University police don't have your best interest in mind. There needs to be a PSA commercial campaign telling women not to trust campus police or administrative judicial systems.

Amir0x

Banned
This is weird. The girl had a recording, what more proof did he wanted?

Unless the guy immediately stopped once the girl screamed but it was still against her will.

I don't know what the law is in California, and I may be confused about the law elsewhere, but isn't it true that it's against the law to record someone without their knowledge in some states? Is the law different if he's admitting to a major crime during the recording? I dunno, just wondering. Still should have investigated it, but that might have made it more complicated.

what an odd thing to post
Sorry. Don't believe it. No institution is that dumb.

yea its not like this has happened at other universities across america!

oh wait

Also way to not believe a rape victim because of your odd beliefs on institutions.

I don't know what the law is in California, and I may be confused about the law elsewhere, but isn't it true that it's against the law to record someone without their knowledge in some states? Is the law different if he's admitting to a major crime during the recording? I dunno, just wondering. Still should have investigated it, but that might have made it more complicated.

The best thing she could do after being rebuffed by the police is to put that shit on YouTube and/or send a copy to the LA times, with the title "___ is a rapist." See if they can brush it under the rug then.

Different laws aside, that brings a question. Why was she recording in the first place, I can't imagine someone getting rape and grab a phone and the recording app without the rapist interference. So maybe she was already recording someone else when it happened?

Pau

Holy shit. And some people say there isn't a systemic problem with how this country handles rape.

Different laws aside, that brings a question. Why was she recording in the first place, I can't imagine someone getting rape and grab a phone and the recording app without the rapist interference. So maybe she was already recording someone else when it happened?

From the story it sounds like she recorded his confession after the fact, not the actual event.

Come to think of it, her story sounds really familiar. Was there a Thad about it here?

Link

The Autumn Wind
Pretty sure she went to him after the fact and got him to say on tape that he had sex with her without her consent.

Buzzman

Banned

She probably didn't record the actual rape, she just has a recording of him admitting to it.

meora

Banned

She recorded him admitting to it, not doing it.

Recording someone is legal in most states as long as you can naturally hear the person. So if you are talking to someome normally or you overhear someone talking, you can record them.

pa22word

It would seem counter to the reputation that universities have as hotbeds for liberal sedition.

lol

A reported rape makes the University look like shit, which in turn costs them money because the crime rate goes up and less people are likely to go to school there. It may make you feel better to believe that those bleeding hearts are up top at the University level, but when it comes down to it all they really care about, conservative or liberal, is image and money.

Talon

California is one of the twelve states that require two-party consent for wiretapping of conversations - in person or over the phone. So unless both parties were aware - e.g. It was a sex tape or he consented in someway- it would be impermissible.

Special protections exist when it comes to public officials. Which is why it's legal to video record cops, although states vary in their laws.

News Bot

Banned
The best thing she could do after being rebuffed by the police is to put that shit on YouTube and/or send a copy to the LA times, with the title "___ is a rapist." See if they can brush it under the rug then.

They'd arrest her for slander or some shit.

Reed (audio recording) and the anonymous complaint (no orgasm, no rape) are two separate filings -in case that got blurred, it did for me:

"The problems are rampant within every department, pretty much every service on campus," Reed told HuffPost, adding, "There is an overwhelming disregard for women and students going through obvious trauma, and they traumatized them further."

It is a systematic problem. I'm no teetotaler but if underage drinking was addressed, the Greek Fraternities and Sororities were shut down, athletics didn't dominate the social landscape of larger schools, and the general immaturity of the average college freshman was mitigated with mandatory community service, then the vocal alumni et al. busy-bodies would just create an uproar to ensure their empty-headed spawn would have a chance to "experience college" under the patriarchal banner of "if you didn't get pregnant then nothing happened and if it doesn't kill you then it makes you stronger (and the 'its only wrong if you get caught business-culture')."

I mean yeah, that makes no sense. The only thing I can think is that maybe he stopped when she said "no." (Thus intercourse had begun) But there's nothing in the article suggesting that.

Even if that WERE the case I think the school would still be liable since they are required to always report this shit to the police. They aren't the ones that get to decide what does and doesn't constitute rape so they are deservedly fucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom