• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Use Cheat Engine to speed up games.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Some games are dripping with atmosphere and its truly enjoyable to just absorb the finely crafted world you're surrounded by for hours on end. Plenty of other games have filler or just needless portions that steal time better spent doing other things. In those cases, a fast forward function is a wonderful thing.

Cheat engine has a fast forward function.

Some recent examples of my uses with this:

Rocksmith 2014 | This game has a hellishly long boot sequence that isn't hiding a load or anything, it's just long for longs sake. I launch the game, set it to 50x speed, and the sequence is over - saving something like 25 seconds every time I boot the game. I use it to not just play the game, but also practice guitar and its a great pick up and play game to kill 10 minutes so skipping that boot helps a lot.

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain | After over 100 hours in the game, I don't want to deal with that helicopter entrance anymore. When entering a mission I just fast forward by 50x until the helicopter lands - assuming theres nothing for me to do in the helicopter that mission. Alongside that, I don't want to wait 2 literal in game hours until that dope new item I want is finished developing. I'll just sit in the copter, set the time to 500x, and let everything develop now so I can just enjoy the game.

Undertale | Undertale is capped at 30fps. Alongside that, a large portion of the game is just walking at an unnecessarily slow pace. I play the game at 2x speed so the visuals are 60fps, and I get to do less of the parts I don't enjoy (slow walking) and more of the stuff I do (battles and dialogue, which I set back to 1x speed for).

Ys The Oath in Felghana | I heard great things about the games combat so I wanted to check it out really quick to potentially come back to later. The game opens with a BUNCH of story before you can get to a save point which I at the time was not at all interested in. You had to button through a lot of text. To aid that process, set the game speed to 4x to skip the dialogue I didn't need at that point.

These are just a few examples - now that I've got you interested, lets do the how to.

Set up hot keys:

hotkey_by_aloooo81-d9m7tp3.png

You can set specific keys to specific speeds to allow for adjustability.
My set up is:
M: 1.0
N: 2.0
Alt+M: 50.0
Alt+N: 200.0

You could also just use the increase speed, and toggle hotkeys instead.

autoattach_by_aloooo81-d9m7tph.png

Add the executable name to the list so that all you need to do is launch Cheat Engine, launch the game, and it'll automatically hook in. Now, you can simply hit your hot key and the game will proceed at whatever speed you desire.

Scrublord

Banned
I certainly understand why are you doing it and I can't blame you for it, as long as it's not used to gain the gameplay advantage.
Honestly, if anything, the developers are to blame for the slowness of certain game sections. It's undestandable if it's a technical issue - the loadings in the elevators in Mass Effect, for example - but there's no excuse for wasting the player's time on purpose like Undertale did.

JackelZXA

I certainly understand why are you doing it and I can't blame you for it, as long as it's not used to gain the gameplay advantage.
Honestly, if anything, the developers are to blame for the slowness of certain game sections. It's undestandable if it's a technical issue - the loadings in the elevators in Mass Effect, for example - but there's no excuse for wasting the player's time on purpose like Undertale did.

I can think of at least one reason: they use it to set up jokes

Zomba13

I'm more interested in unlimited resources tbh.

It's super easy to give you a bunch of resources but I think the value is actually double the displayed value for some reason. I can't remember, it took me a while to find them. I mdid have my own table but I deleted it when I was done with the post game stuff.

Nev

Banned
Speeding up and save states make games boring for me. I'd rather play the game the way it's meant to be played unless that means shitty performance. I won't play a game with non-skippable shit or a game that requires artificial speeding up to be tolerable anyways.

...how did I not know this function existed? And how can it possibly be so universal? Holy crap, this is a godsend. As another long sufferer of those TPP helicopter flights, thank you OP.

WaterAstro

Memory Editors are great for this. Some games you just rather go into god mode and have a fling. I don't have the time to play long-drawn campaigns of a million turns like Civ.

Speeding up and save states make games boring for me. I'd rather play the game the way it's meant to be played unless that means shitty performance. I won't play a game with non-skippable shit or a game that requires artificial speeding up to be tolerable anyways.

Rather beat games than not beat them at all.

Artadius

ZLoHmpx.gif

Cheat engine had been irreplaceable for me for years now. Can't live without it. Also great for hacking the fov and camera in games.

I figured everyone knew about this by now but good thread/guide regardless.
Speeding up and save states make games boring for me.
Good for you?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Just about 2016 here and people are still discovering cheat engine. Weird.

I figure most people think of Cheat Engine as "That thing like gameshark." but don't know the extent of stuff you can do with it. It's a versatile tool and discovering the speed up stuff was a huge boon for me.

Krejlooc

Banned
Kind of like action replay, then? I imagine I have to look up the codes for some games

basically the same thing as action replay, yes

I figure most people think of Cheat Engine as "That thing like gameshark." but don't know the extent of stuff you can do with it. It's a versatile tool and discovering the speed up stuff was a huge boon for me.

Well, "that thing like gameshark" is indeed a pretty accurate description, it's just that you're no longer limited to the tiny amount of codes you can enter like you could with a gameshark. The gameshark was just the US version of the Action Replay, after all.

I've been using Cheat Engine since 2011 and I've NEVER been VAC banned by a game for using it. That is definitely for online games only and if you use Cheat Engine while playing an online game, you deserve to be banned.

Cheat Engine should only be used for single player games, and you don't get banned for using Cheat Engine in those.

I've been using Cheat Engine since 2011 and I've NEVER been VAC banned by a game for using it. That is definitely for online games only and if you use Cheat Engine while playing an online game, you deserve to be banned.

Well obviously. VAC is for specific multiplayer titles.

Vlaphor

Mixing this feature in with an auto-clicking app makes "clicker" type games even more meaningless than usual.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I used Cheat Engine to slightly decrease Just Cause 3's overall game speed in an effort to "perfect" the Maxime Tour challenge.

Think of me what you will, but I spent over an hour trying to achieve 71k+. It'd been a long since a game had frustrated me so.

Vlaphor

I use this feature for FTL.

I used cheat engine for FTL as well. Maxed out everything and still couldn't beat the main ship's second form.

I used Cheat Engine to slightly decrease Just Cause 3's overall game speed in an effort to "perfect" the Maxime Tour challenge.

I've done this in a couple of games as well that had timing based challenges. Set speedhack to .5 and those challenges get a lot easier.

Skyzard

Banned
Thanks for the writeup, seems useful, subscribed.

Also going to ignore JaseC's JC3 times on the scoreboard now.

jotun?

I used the speedhack for Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, made it run about 20% above normal

Makes the travel less boring, and makes combat more challenging! Only downside is that it sped up animations without affecting the sound, so things like dialog would get out of sync

Cronox

Banned
What multiplayer games do you even want to use a speedhack on?

Reading up on VAC, I was unsure of whether VAC would check to see if a cheating program was installed, or if it is running. The implication from this thread seems to be that if it's not running I'm fine in VAC games. I rarely play multiplayer games on my PC, but I certainly don't want to run into issues with my Steam account.

Top Bottom