• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Use of CGI 3D in movies before Toy Story ('95)? Anything from Disney & others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Young_sherlock_holmes.jpg

CGI-history-sherlock2.jpg

It looked pretty real at the time. It's supposed to be a stained glass window come to life.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
As mentioned earlier in the thread, Wrath of Khan back in 82 had the first complete CG sequence in a motion picture. A few years later Young Sherlock Holmes would have the first fully computer-generated animated character in a motion picture. All done by the Lucasfilm Computer Division which would later be sold as Pixar, but ILM would shortly after create their own CG department and continue with other breakthroughs including Abyss, Jurassic Park, T2, etc. using the same rendering software as Pixar (Lucasfilm still had access to all the tech Pixar developed and continued to work on as part of the sale terms and were able to tweak it in-house to fit their particular needs).

1982: First completely computer-generated sequence (the "Genesis sequence" in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)
1985: First completely computer-generated character, the "stained glass man" in Young Sherlock Holmes
1988: First morphing sequence, in Willow
1989: First computer-generated 3-D character, the pseudopod in The Abyss
1991: First partially computer-generated main character, the T-1000 in Terminator 2: Judgment Day
1992: First time the texture of human skin was computer generated, in Death Becomes Her
1993: First time digital technology used to create a complete and detailed living creature, the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park, which earned ILM its thirteenth Oscar

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I mean, seriously, how does it look this good?

jpend8ljlf.gif

If Steven Spielberg had entrusted you with the finale of his latest blockbuster, knowing it was your chance to sell this brand new tech as the future of special effects, you'd have knocked it out of the park, too.

That's the thing that's doubly impressive about that final scene. They didn't even know if they could actually do it until they did it.

Aladdin? I thought it was one of the most obvious usage of CG in an animate movie. I saw it when it first came out and the I found the CG really jarring.

GCX

Aladdin? I thought it was one of the most obvious usage of CG in an animate movie. I saw it when it first came out and the I found the CG really jarring.
Yeah the tiger head cave entrance is one of the most obvious Disney CG things from the early 90s.

I haven't watched it in about 10 years, and at that time, I was clueless when it came to animation. Looking at it now, I agree it's very noticeable, but I personally think it holds up well.

I'm surprised that you didn't know it was CGI. Although it wasn't the first movie to have major CGI characters, the hype for Jurassic Park was ridiculous and it pretty much entirely revolved around the revolutionary effects. It was used as the benchmark for judging computer graphics for years; Nintendo made a big deal about how Silicon Graphics, whose hardware rendered the effects, created the N64's graphics chip.

I was only 3 then, and I'm hardly interested in the subject matter, so I would have long forgotten any mention of 3D relating to that movie. It really is very impressive, though.

don't talk shit about the rescuers bro, i will end you

It actually looks like a really great movie (I especially like the music I heard), but it really does have some very ugly 3D. :p

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I was only 3 then, and I'm hardly interested in the subject matter, so I would have long forgotten any mention of 3D relating to that movie. It really is very impressive, though.

Watch through this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTcE60KKRv4

Part 1 of several, but links to the other parts should be easy to find from there. You'll see plenty of Pixar guys in those early ILM years. The computer stuff starts up in part 2 about a minute in.

Log4Girlz

West World had the very first CGI anything right?

"Westworld was the last movie MGM produced before dissolving its releasing company, and was the first theatrical feature directed by Crichton.[2] It was also the first feature film to use digital image processing to pixellate photography to simulate an android point of view.[3] The film was nominated for Hugo, Nebula and Golden Scroll (a.k.a. Saturn) awards, and was followed by a sequel film, Futureworld, and a short-lived television series, Beyond Westworld."

Well there's that I guess.

MisterHero

The Making of TRON is on Youtube. My favorite part about the 3D animation had to do with sending 3D coordinates over telephone and having to input the numbers manually. :lol

I might not be remembering it 100% correctly, but that's just a good reason to watch Making of TRON!

ag-my001

uC9Tbjr.gif

The Last Starfighter from 1984, and yes that is from the movie.

I loved this movie as a kid. Leave it up to a B-movie, UHF syndicated cult-classic to do a better job with Newtonian physics, mass drivers, and robot-comedy-relief than pretty much any other sci-fi movie ever.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Fun Fact: The CG in The Lawnmower Man was done by Rockstar San Diego.

uC9Tbjr.gif

The Last Starfighter from 1984, and yes that is from the movie.

Those guys did the CG in Labyrinth, too. Oh, and that's the downgraded version, after they figured out that they'd never render the movie in time with their computing resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom