• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Using Sixaxis on your PC? Stay away from MotionInJoy

PaulLFC

The Xinput solution is amazing - works for me with absolutely no problems. Only slight issue was it automatically powered on the PS3 when I disconnected it from the USB cable plugged into the PC - I think that was because I didn't press the button combo to turn the controller off first though - I thought that was just for bluetooth connections for some reason. I'll have to look into that when I get time.

Kokonoe

Banned
I just did a bunch of crazy stuff just to uninstall motioninjoy and it's undeletable registry keys, and my SNES controller is still messed up. Ever since I installed motioninjoy and uninstalled it, my DPad reads as a analog stick instead of a DPad. It also ends up holding up since it has trouble reading the axis in games.

This really sucks, for some reason I didn't have system restore on. I honestly don't know what I can do at this point other than reinstall Windows.

Does anyone know if this works with the Move Navigation controller?

I tried MIJ, but it took over my bluetooth.

Using a keyboard is literally painful for me, as I have had an elbow surgery that makes WASD controls shitty for me. As mentioned before, the mouse/navigation combo seems like a perfect solution.

Yes, this works with a navigation controller. Install it the same way as the regular dualshock.

It's great with games that allow completely customizable controls for the gamepad, like Warframe.

The problems start when you try to use XInput @ xpadder simultaneously in games like Crysis 2 where you can't completely customize the Xbox controller layout. You can't disable or change the buttions that xpadder needs to use, and the game will read the xbox data first.

Say you want left trigger for running. Your character will try to use iron sites or shoot (depending on the game options) before it reads that you want to run. A total mess.

This is the only reason that anyone whose looking to play a dangerous game would stick with motioninjoy.

npa189

The fuse finally blew in my 360 receiver for windows, shoddy hardware. Not buying anymore 360 accessories so I did some looking for a proper way to use a DS3, XInput works great and I had a cheap rocketfish bluetooth adapter hanging around. Everything including rumble works great, but can anyone tell me how I can flip the triggers? using L2/R2 to shoot things is less than idea. Here's a link in case anyone missed it.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

Motionjoy has worked perfectly fine for me for years. I'm aware of the ads inside of the program itself but I never had one that opened up on its own.

peronmls

Works fine with me besides the ugly UI. Only problem I ever had was making the analogs work. I have click PS3 options and click save settings and they start working. I have to do that everytime.

XInput Wrapper works splendidly on my laptop, but MIJ seems to have fucked me over on my PC. My two DS3s never get recognized as 360 controllers, no matter how many times I install, uninstall, and reinstall the 360 controller drivers and the XInput Wrapper drivers. They show up as "USB Input Device", but I'm not sure if that's MIJ at work or if that's what they're supposed to show up as.

dose

onken

So this

and this

are good alternatives?
However, option 1 seems to require Microsoft .NET 4.0 and Visual C 2010 Runtime. Is this right?
Option 1 apparently supports 4 DSs on one BT dongle, does option 2?
Aren't they the same thing?

akira28

how interesting. So it forces an internet connection because the programmer wants to send live feed ads to pay for his webserver service. That is...strange.

Wow
Ivw veen us in it for uears and no problems came up.

Ive never used the bluyreooth jyst usb cable method abd theres offline files to dl to make it offline if u ewa

Want

Oh and I jus have it emulate da 360 controller mode to play onlive free trials.

dose

Tried this, works fine with USB, but no way I can get it to work with my Bluetooth dongle. When it's plugged in by USB it doesn't appear in the BT list, and searching for it as a BT device doesn't bring it up either.

Tried this, works fine with USB, but no way I can get it to work with my Bluetooth dongle. When it's plugged in by USB it doesn't appear in the BT list, and searching for it as a BT device doesn't bring it up either.

When you install the XInput Wrapper, make sure the Force Install option is checked. That should work, I think.

XInput Wrapper works splendidly on my laptop, but MIJ seems to have fucked me over on my PC. My two DS3s never get recognized as 360 controllers, no matter how many times I install, uninstall, and reinstall the 360 controller drivers and the XInput Wrapper drivers. They show up as "USB Input Device", but I'm not sure if that's MIJ at work or if that's what they're supposed to show up as.

I had the same problem. Reset your DS3's.

onken

Just ditched the official USB driver for Xinput wrapper. Works flawlessly on my Dell laptop, very happy with it.

dose

When you install the XInput Wrapper, make sure the Force Install option is checked. That should work, I think.
I tried that :( The program says the BT stuff is installed, but it still doesn't recognise the joypad by BT. Crap :( I am installing it onto a laptop with built-in BT but I imagine that should still be ok. Is there any way of resetting the installation stuff and starting from scratch maybe?

So I was trying to play a game that required an analog stick just last night. I have been using Joy2Key for all the games that don't require the use of the analog sticks, thinking that I'd just run MotionJoy if I ever needed to use the analog sticks on my DS3. Boy, was that a mistake (though it wasn't noticeable until today). I used MotionJoy about a year ago without any issues, so I figured nothing could go wrong.

The first problem that arose was my DS3_Tool no longer working. It would crash immediately upon running MotionJoy. Assuming it was just outdated (as I was using a 2 year old version of MotionJoy), I went to the official website to download a newer version. When I get around to trying it...it just didn't work at all. The program would run fine, but only Joy2Key seemed to actually be configuring my controls properly. After spending half an hour redoing my controls thinking there was an error on my part, I called it quits and just went back to playing Dragon's Crown on my Ps3.

Today, I decided to give MotionJoy another go. Lo and behold, the instant I hit enable this time around...my laptop crashes and reboots. I'll point out right now that my laptop has never outright crashed on me from booting up and using a single program. When my laptop finishes loading, I try MotionJoy once more, again getting the dreaded BSOD. I end up completely uninstalling the program and drivers and downloading a different version, but the problem persists. At this point I'm furious that one program is causing my laptop to crash. After a few minutes of searching the web for answers, I find myself at this thread. Seems I found it just in-time to prevent needing to completely format my drive.

I am going to try XInput in a bit. I'll get back to you guys on my experience with it.

wizzbang

Banned
I've never had any objection to MotioninJoy or noticed the 'intrusiveness' of it. I know people hate it but it works for me.

None the less, I did just install this one people recommended.
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

It's working fine, DS3 is in 360 mode which is the most compatible for games and via BT.
However I think MotioninJoy does support "full" DS3 mode, sixaxis functionality too - not that much uses it (anything?)

Just an FYI.
EDIT: Oh I did it so I can 'backport" Pixel Junk Monsters HD Ultimate to my loungeroom again - my HTPC can run it :)

oneils

I used motion in joy quite a bit this summer. Never had a problem. Add that to the pile of anecdotes I guess.

neos

Damn, i just installed it a couple of days ago.
Luckily i'm going to chance my pc shortlt, thanks for the advice OP.

I'm having a hard time getting Xinput to work. I followed all the steps and installed the drivers but it's still not working--4 lights are flashing, instead of 1. Any suggestions?

Jomjom

Banned
Anyone know how to unpair my DS3 from my PS3? Every time I unplug the DS3 from my laptop it turns on the PS3.

I've tried holding down the reset button on the back but it doesn't do anything.

Top Bottom