• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Using unsanctioned prounouns for FL4K on the Borderland 3 forums will get you banned.

What's your point? Is that some kind of appeal to authority because you think that your own mental health issues somehow makes you capable of deciding what's true? That sounds like the typical SJW retardation. 'Oh, you can't have an opinion because you're white', 'You don't know because you're male'. Fuck off with that shit

I'd like to start by apologising for the tone of the post to which you responded with this. I was rude, dismissive and angry. Didn't help that I was tired, drunk and angry about ... some other things too. But those were just factors. At the centre of it all was me being a gobshite.

My point is that living through my own mental health problems taught me that there are few, if any, authorities on what it feels like to live through something. Too many times for my liking I was told by people with no clinical or lived experience what my condition was like, what the problems was, what I needed to do, and also how it fit into some kind of world view that was being pushed on us all by [doctors, the government, the PC brigade, "slackers"]. In every single case, pretty much without exception, they were completely wrong. Anyone can have an opinion on anything. That doesn't mean every opinion should be weighted evenly, or that it's "typical SJW" folly to suggest this to be the case.

I have no idea what it's like to be trans, other than perhaps in a small way what it's like to experience the above. The qualitative outcomes of a treatment can only fully be judged by including the experience of the person going through it. Quantitative analysis can tell you some things, but without rigorous peer review, and especially in the hands of partisan ideologues, can lead to self reinforcing mantras.

Certain types of treatment can be, but aren't always, successful. The job of physicians and healthcare in general is to ensure the right people get the right treatment, and that those chasing it with unrealistic or unhealthy expectations should be dissuaded. Ideologically driven warriors on any and all sides using people as pawns, scapegoats, or sacrifices to their visions of the "greater tribal good" should stay the fuck away from healthcare, science, games and everything else. Though ... I'm sure they won't.

Katsura

I'd like to start by apologising for the tone of the post to which you responded with this. I was rude, dismissive and angry. Didn't help that I was tired, drunk and angry about ... some other things too. But those were just factors. At the centre of it all was me being a gobshite.

My point is that living through my own mental health problems taught me that there are few, if any, authorities on what it feels like to live through something. Too many times for my liking I was told by people with no clinical or lived experience what my condition was like, what the problems was, what I needed to do, and also how it fit into some kind of world view that was being pushed on us all by [doctors, the government, the PC brigade, "slackers"]. In every single case, pretty much without exception, they were completely wrong. Anyone can have an opinion on anything. That doesn't mean every opinion should be weighted evenly, or that it's "typical SJW" folly to suggest this to be the case.

I have no idea what it's like to be trans, other than perhaps in a small way what it's like to experience the above. The qualitative outcomes of a treatment can only fully be judged by including the experience of the person going through it. Quantitative analysis can tell you some things, but without rigorous peer review, and especially in the hands of partisan ideologues, can lead to self reinforcing mantras.

Certain types of treatment can be, but aren't always, successful. The job of physicians and healthcare in general is to ensure the right people get the right treatment, and that those chasing it with unrealistic or unhealthy expectations should be dissuaded. Ideologically driven warriors on any and all sides using people as pawns, scapegoats, or sacrifices to their visions of the "greater tribal good" should stay the fuck away from healthcare, science, games and everything else. Though ... I'm sure they won't.
I agree with pretty much everything you wrote here. Also, absolutely no need to apologise

joe_zazen

I think people who really care about inanimate things on a personal level (like treating a robot in a video game like it's a real person...... or lets say someone calling their laptop a he or she) comes from deep down loneliness.

Aside from joking around earlier about gendering kitchen appliances for laughs, I don't think I've ever associated any gear I own, my car, my laptop or anything that can even run on it's own..... my printer does automated self cleaning every once in a while which is loud as fuck. Or playing a game and the CPU AI kicking my ass.

I don't think I've ever considered them in any way a he or she. It's an it. And even if I did say in passing the AI is.... "he's kicking my ass", I don't consider it serious enough to dwell on it and treat it like it's real.

Don't get me wrong, I can understand why someone wants to associate a creation having life and a personality. If someone draws a character, I can see why someone will describe it as he or she or they.

But don't go around crucifying people looking at it and calling that human made object an it.

Shinto is an animist religion. eggbeaters May have sentience, why not killbots?

sol_bad

The robot doesn't even have any female looking attributes. If it had male and female attributes, people would naturally call it a he and she and others would naturally call it they.

If the robot is confused about its "gender", at least make it confusing visually. Right now, he looks like a he.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I dont understand, why cant the robot be called he?

Since english is not my primary language i never understood the use of they instead of him/her

Regardless between this and Ion Fury, this is really starting to getting out of hand imo.
They is a neuter noun for someone whose name, identity or gender is unknown or inconsequential. He is for someone who is known to be male and she is for someone who is known to be female. Things that are not people or animals are not given a gender in English, giving a person like object like a robot a gender is currently a common writing trope, but is not actually in agreement with how the English language works.

Top Bottom