• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands 3 SwitchUp Performance review

Power Pro

The release of this version kinda flew under the radar for me, and I didn't even know it was coming until a couple weeks ago. Even though I own other platforms, I've always loved my Switch for the portability of it. When previous Borderlands games came to the platform, I was super happy because it was a great way to play them. Considering they were PS3/360 games, it wasn't surprising that those games got ported to the Switch, but I never expected Borderlands 3 to come.

Anyway, there was really no details about the game leading up to release, so I was all over this performance video when it was posted cuz I was curious. Sounds like a good port though, way better than Mortal Kombat 1 turned out to be honest. My quick takeaway from it seems to be:

Unlocked framerate, mostly runs at 30-50 FPS, often being around 45 FPS.
Lower quality textures, and no vsync to keep performance smooth.
Motion controls available, with good customization. Responsive controls overall.
Install size can vary depending on what aspects of the game you install. Other languages can be left out making it smaller. Sounds like 18-19gb is what most of the content will end up being, not 66 like the box art says.

CamHostage

Funny, some of the performance solutions they used like vaporizing corpses is what Borderlands 2 Vita used.

Kacho

It’s an incredible feat. Hopefully these studios are ready to patch up these games when Switch 2 arrives.

Just watched the performance video review; here's some of the key points from it:
  • The frame-rate is uncapped and it runs mostly at 45 to 60 fps
  • There's a few times where it drops to 30 fps or even below (this happens rarely in very intense firefight scenes)
  • Has gyro aiming
  • Rather long loading times - around a minute long
  • Very good input latency, but no vsync enabled
  • Uses DRS and maybe FSR?
  • Similar perf in portable as in docked mode
Overall a very good Switch port.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I couldn't get into this if it was put in front of me, for free. I had friends from a group, that attempted to get me in.
Frankly... I just think this franchise is dead to me, after 2. It is just DEAD. The Studio, the CEO, Especially. All Dead.

zeldaring

Banned
Honestly looks pretty horrible with intense fire fights going below 30fps. Locked 30fps would feel much better to 99% of people instead 40-60fps with intense fire fights going below 30fps.

Randy Pitchford to the port house:

impressive darth vader GIF

I couldn't get into this if it was put in front of me, for free. I had friends from a group, that attempted to get me in.
Frankly... I just think this franchise is dead to me, after 2. It is just DEAD. The Studio, the CEO, Especially. All Dead.
Maannnn... I felt the same way. I really enjoyed 2 a lot, but 3 never really clicked with me. Just didn't care. It wasn't outright bad by any stretch, just didn't care. And once my buddies and I did a single playthrough...we just kinda quit.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
I'm grabbing this and playing all day long today :)

Which character are you people gonna use at first?!

I liked the Mecha girl back when it came out years ago. She's ton of fun TBH.

Trunx81

Long load times hurt me more than some occasional frame stutters .. Already hated that on the PS Vita version of BL2. Let´s hope the Switch2 can fix this somehow.

Shifty1897

45 fps unlocked 🤮
Should have just looked it to 30 or at least given the option, people would have understood since it's a Switch port.

Power Pro

45 fps unlocked 🤮
Should have just looked it to 30 or at least given the option, people would have understood since it's a Switch port.
Eh, just like the person in the video, I prefer unlocked than locked 30. There's still more fluidity to the movement and controls when a game runs higher than 30, so I'll always take that over a locked 30.

Maybe this is a way for them to future proof the game also with it running smoother on Switch 2 perhaps?

Top Bottom