• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VA-11 HALL-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action |OT| Do Androids Drink To Electric Beats?

Milijango

Is it asking the dog to leave that triggers the dogs disappearing for a good chunk of the game afterwards, or does it always happen? If the former, good job devs!

I think they disappear regardless since I didn't pick that and they still mostly went away.

Stoze

If there's one thing I wish was improved it would be the music preview delay. It takes like 5 seconds to preview each track in the Jukebox yet it's a core mechanic. Having to pick 12 tracks each time with this lag will get annoying.

Is it a technical limitation or just the game wanting to play a 'Loading Preview' animation? foobar2000 can load the same tracks instantly in their lossless version so it's not the speed of the system.

Yeah I noticed this as well, kind of weird. Doesn't bother me much though since I just choose 12 new/different tracks each time regardless of what they are.

Also I realized when playing last night the game keeps a text log of everything that's been said during the day you're playing on (gets refreshed after breaks though), scroll up or down on the mouse when the cursor is over the text box in conversation. Really glad that's included, my attention span breaks on occasion when reading and I don't like missing dialogue.

PK Gaming

c3BnfQY.png

Gaf

TWILT

Banned
Started playing this today and I really didn't know what I expected...but damn, I'm actually really digging this. The bartending aspect of the game feels really engaging, especially since all the characters seem interesting in their own way. I just really like the whole concept of the game and it exudes style. And I can't get enough of the music. I'm actually really struggling which song to pick (a friend of mine told me to just pick randomly, and I can see why haha). I can see why it's pretty popular with my friends on Twitter lol.

Just finished day 1 earlier and did 0 mistakes/tried making everyone happy. I'll keep going down that path for now and going through the game blindish.

dkoy

Man
really annoyed the crap out of me. It doesn't help that I actually had it figured out the first time but was too fixated on
finding a drink with exactly 17 ingredients and not using one with optional karmotrine
. Had to get the answer from here heh.

Squire

Banned
Bought this yesterday and started it at midnight, played through the first day. The whole package is killer. Aesthetically, the game is razor sharp; the menus, character designs, and the music really come together to color the games personality as brightly as any Ace Attorney. It's incredibly impressive and immediately so.

I'm not entirely sure where I'm at with the writing. It's good, but I can feel it trying to find a balance between portraying it's characters as the kind of people that find themselves in bars (so most with a bit of an edge to them), communicating that they're also human, and doing both with s decent mix of humor. It's definitely a tough balancing act and the work is commendable, so far. I've definitely enjoyed my interactions worth the characters on the first day.

This is already one of the best games I've played so far this year.

Oh man. This is basically me with a couple close friends that don't post to GAF, all the time.

Stoze

I don't know if the game tells you this but you can fast forward by pressing CTRL.

Yeah unless I'm missing something there's no controls/keybindings shown in-game. Didn't know that one, thanks.

Other helpful keys:
Q,W,E,R,T - Puts in the different spirits/alcohol, no more drag and drop
Tab or mouse wheel scroll up - chat log

Coreda

Also I realized when playing last night the game keeps a text log of everything that's been said during the day you're playing on (gets refreshed after breaks though), scroll up or down on the mouse when the cursor is over the text box in conversation. Really glad that's included, my attention span breaks on occasion when reading and I don't like missing dialogue.

There's another way to view text logs: press Tab. It opens a scrollable window. Found this by accident.

I don't know if the game tells you this but you can fast forward by pressing CTRL.

Other helpful keys:

Great tips. Could be in the OP.

BTW anyone have a pic of the 'ID Snatchers' film poster item from the store? Would like to know if it's what I think it is before getting it. Edit: used a save state instead, it's not anything remarkable.

I'm genuinely surprised by this game. It came out of nowhere, I saw a stream of it, got impressed, closed the stream and bought the game.

First time I played it, it didn't register achievements that got fixed after restarting the game.

But overall this game is awesome. Dialogue is fun, and I came to care about the characters. I got the "good" ending but no character endings.. so it seems like I still have a lot to find.

Yeah unless I'm missing something there's no controls/keybindings shown in-game. Didn't know that one, thanks.

Other helpful keys:

THANK YOU, this makes playing the game so much easier.

Steel

Banned

Other helpful keys:

Also press K while mixing. Just do it.

TWILT

Banned
Been kinda hesitant on buying stuff; mostly just buying whatever's necessary to make sure Jill doesn't get distracted. Might spend a bit more after the 4th day (just finished my 3rd one).

also Kira Miki is kind of the best and Stella/Sei are great too.

Draga

Gods, I am in love with this game. Never thought a game about bartending would grab me, but this one won;t let go.

I am a bit stuck though.
What's the drink that always cheers Dorothy up? I can't remember.

Whoa! Randomly I see this thread on here and am shocked that this game finally came out. I preordered it a year ago to get the prologue and loved it. After seeing this thread I dug up my receipt and found the full version available for download from itch.io.

Thanks for the OT!

Not going to play this during the day. Need that night time atmosphere to really set it off.
I've only played it at night so far lol. My playtime is pretty high but I let it idle a lot since I like the music a lot. This is easily one of my favorite games of the year. It's so good.

Squire

Banned
I've only played it at night so far lol. My playtime is pretty high but I let it idle a lot since I like the music a lot. This is easily one of my favorite games of the year. It's so good.

Yeah, I completely agree. The intro and first day is so good, I'm completely sold already. There's no way this isn't in my top five of the year, maybe even top three.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
How hard is the mixology stuff if you don't care about alcohol in any way?

For me, Bar Oasis became playable only after I bought that "auto mix drinks" cheat dlc. lol

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Same for me. I can't bring myself to play this at any time but night, and I've been spending way too much time just listening to the music.

BTW, Base of the Titans? Holy hell is that song good. You need good speakers for it to really work, though -- the sounds are so delightfully crisp and that really makes the intro to it work.

For me, Bar Oasis became playable only after I bought that "auto mix drinks" cheat dlc. lol
Very easy to follow in this game. They give you the names of the drinks and you have a recipe book you can access whenever. The actual mixing consists of dragging the elements to the mixer and clicking a few buttons for the most part.

Moonlight

Banned

Pretty much all the drinks are fake and made up of fake ingredients. There's a recipe book always on hand to refer to, too.

Theodoricos

Man, I like Jill's design so much. Easily one of my favorite video game protagonists overall too - she's amazing.

Can't wait for more VA-11 HALL-A art.

hoggert

Only a little bit short on the electric bill.... all but two nights flawless and only bought the things Jill wanted to keep from getting distracted orz

kami_sama

Sukeban posted this on Twitter. Full designs for some of the cast:

They're gonna be posting more too

Jill's desing is the best, I think. But everyone's design is great.

Man, I like Jill's design so much. Easily one of my favorite video game protagonists overall too - she's amazing.

Can't wait for more VA-11 HALL-A art.

Jill's design is truly amazing. Her in the coat is probably my favourite version of her, though.

Jill fanclub represent!

Also, I've finished the game. Is there anything new in NG+?

Spoiler: Is Alma
the rabbit hacker? When she hacked the mixing station the rabbit appeared

Danny Dudekisser

Okay, why are other games not using this visual style? I mean, yeah, I'm a sucker for cyberpunk, but the PC-98 aesthetic this game is going for (and nails, obviously) is just an incredible, horribly under-utilized style. And it grows on me every time I play. I guess the upside to forcing myself to only play this game late at night is that it'll last longer that way... because when it's done, there ain't nothing that can take it's place :(

kami_sama

Okay, why are other games not using this visual style? I mean, yeah, I'm a sucker for cyberpunk, but the PC-98 aesthetic this game is going for (and nails, obviously) is just an incredible, horribly under-utilized style. And it grows on me every time I play. I guess the upside to forcing myself to only play this game late at night is that it'll last longer that way... because when it's done, there ain't nothing that can take it's place :(

Here are some pc-98 examples http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1202626
Add the scanlines, and is one of the best 2d art I've seen on a pc game.

The problem is that sprites are more difficult than 3d models. That's why Xrd went 3d, although with very similar aesthetic to 2d.

Danny Dudekisser

Here are some pc-98 examples http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1202626
Add the scanlines, and is one of the best 2d art I've seen on a pc game.

The problem is that sprites are more difficult than 3d models. That's why Xrd went 3d, although with very similar aesthetic to 2d.

Yeah, that thread (and there was another similar one with more PC-98 stuff) is a goldmine. I wish we actually got those games in English. That early '90s Japanese style is just so perfect.

Oddly enough, though, one of my favorite touches from that era is the UI. It's kind of weird to have a huge frame with the game's title around the actual game, but it's kind of endearing.

Squire

Banned
Just met Alma. She is fantastically written and so charming. She really brings out the best in Jill too. I love their conversation. So organic and believable.

In general the game does a really good job of coloring the characters, but still giving Jill her own opinions and personality. She won't tell people off since she's on the job, but when she interjects or responds, what she adds to the conversation feels thoughtful. She isn't a faceless protagonist. And she's just so cool.

Like, I think the patrons are interesting, but Jill gets to be Cool™, in a very genuine way, if that makes sense. The patrons are interesting without outshining her. I don't even think Ace Attorney is as successful at handling that balance.

Stoze

I think I'm (hopefully) close to the end now, just got to
Dec 27th
. I've been enjoying it a lot, but the game is really starting to wear thin and overstay its welcome for me. Don't know if I'll have the energy to come back for different endings or dialogue, though part of me wants to. I'm pretty satisfied with what's been going on so far and what I've been given with the characterization of all these people/robots/
dogs

Theodoricos

I think I'm (hopefully) close to the end now, just got to
Dec 27th
. I've been enjoying it a lot, but the game is really starting to wear thin and overstay its welcome for me. Don't know if I'll have the energy to come back for different endings or dialogue, though part of me wants to. I'm pretty satisfied with what's been going on so far and what I've been given with the characterization of all these people/robots/
dogs

Dec 31st
is when the game ends.

I felt the opposite, personally. I love the game, but I felt like it should've been at least a chapter longer. I was not ready for it to end so soon.

Also, I've finished the game. Is there anything new in NG+?

Spoiler: Is Alma
the rabbit hacker? When she hacked the mixing station the rabbit appeared

That's my personal theory so far. Then again I haven't
unlocked the achievement that says you can make her friend come over to the bar if you give her a certain drink
, so I may not have the full picture.

As for NG+, outside of the fact that you can keep your money from your previous playthrough as well as anything that you may've bought, I don't think there's anything different. Could be wrong though.

Top Bottom