• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles 4 development is 90% complete

sublimit

Banned
Famitsu had some new information and screenshots to share about Valkyria Chronicles 4, most notably the fact that development on the game is now 90% complete. They also shared information about the systems and characters of the game.

The series’ trademark strategic Command Mode and Action Mode swapping was shown off, as well as the look of the tank and infantry in the game. The tank is named the Hafen, and is a mid-sized tank made by the United States of Vienland. It excels in firepower and mobility, but lacks the defense of Federation tanks. It is named after Claude’s hometown.

Meanwhile, infantry are split into six classes: Scouts, Shocktroopers, Lancers, Engineers, Snipers and Grenadiers. Lancers in particular were highlighted for the fact that while they are good against fighting tanks, they are weak to other infantry types.

Grenadiers are a new class of troops who utilize grenade launchers, which really act more like mortars. Grenadiers shoot from afar in a high arc that allows they attacks to bypass most cover, which is why it is best to scout ahead for enemies first. They are very strong against both tanks and infantry but cannot attack enemies that are at a close range.

Famitsu also shared new artwork and screenshots of the characters, as well as additional information about several of the main characters. Claude, the main character of the story, pilots the Hafen and commands the troops using his weath of military knowledge and his intuition regarding the weather and environment. While Riley is childhood friends with Claude, they are estranged due to certain past events. Meanwhile, Kai Shuren, the sniper, is very curt and boyish in tone, but is said to be quite kind as well.
More at the link:
http://www.siliconera.com/2017/11/2...4s-development-90-complete-plus-famitsu-info/

I really hope they don't rush it. :/

Z3M0G

We havent seen gameplay yet right? I hope they both went back to the roots of the series properly, and also made proper enhancements to make it a this-gen experience.

Really need to give the first game another chance. Enjoyed everything but played far too safe according to the rating I would get post game.

ghairat

I played the first game but the difficulty level was not for me, probably should go back to the game and try again after all these years

autoduelist

Really need to give the first game another chance. Enjoyed everything but played far too safe according to the rating I would get post game.

The major problem with the first game was the scoring system. It rewarded speed and only speed, and therefore rewarded absurd playstyles [hellbent scout rush ignoring enemies, for example] over actual tactics. Sprint through ground being covered by 10 enemies in cover? No problem!

If they rework the scoring system to reward survival, enemy takedown, etc. I will be very happy.

cwistofu

The major problem with the first game was the scoring system. It rewarded speed and only speed, and therefore rewarded absurd playstyles [hellbent scout rush ignoring enemies, for example] over actual tactics. Sprint through ground being covered by 10 enemies in cover? No problem!

If they rework the scoring system to reward survival, enemy takedown, etc. I will be very happy.
This is 100% how I feel.

Were there ever any PC mods to fix the scoring for VC1?

hmmm i was kinda hoping the game would be more fleshed out with new features than just grenadiers. really expecting a large jump in gameplay quality compared to VC1, but it seems like it's going to be too similar.

Terra_Ex

So long as its something akin to VC1 and it comes to PC I'll be quite happy. What they've shown so far looks promising.

hmmm i was kinda hoping the game would be more fleshed out with new features than just grenadiers. really expecting a large jump in gameplay quality compared to VC1, but it seems like it's going to be too similar.

No need to fix what isn't broken. VC1 needed just a bit more balancing and tweeks to scoring to be perfect.

Plus let's be realistic here - we are lucky we are getting VC4 at all. If it wasn't so far i development who knows what would have happened after Revolution failed.

No need to fix what isn't broken. VC1 needed just a bit more balancing and tweeks to scoring to be perfect.

Plus let's be realistic here - we are lucky we are getting VC4 at all. If it wasn't so far i development who knows what would have happened after Revolution failed.

Agree Dont fix whats not broke, but for a sequel i expect a little more than what theyre offering so far. They have a great base established theres a lot more they can add to the game though imo, balanacing aside

Hope they don't rely on cheap and unclear game design this time. The first game forced you to replay some missions several times over because of this.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
One thing I love about VC1was how varied each main story mission were, I hope VC4 is same. But they really need to fix the scoring system. Im sure there much better way to encourage faster play than this type scoring.

sublimit

Banned
I agree with the people saying the evaluation scores need better balancing but I really don't understand why so many people find the first game hard.I have completed the game almost 3 times by now and I don't think I failed more than 2-3 missions.And I'm someone who isn't very experienced at strategy games...

RPGCrazied

Why even call this 4? If this is taking place during Chronicles, then just give it a subtitle. I'm replaying the first game because of this news. Just did chapter 11, holy hell that was hard.

sublimit

Banned
Why even call this 4? If this is taking place during Chronicles, then just give it a subtitle. I'm replaying the first game because of this news. Just did chapter 11, holy hell that was hard.

I think it's because they want to make it clear that this is a true main entry in the series and not another spin-off title like Azure Revolution.

Ubername

Banned
So stoked. Remember buying the original for ps3 at launch at a BB, and having the clerk compliment me for it, lol. Serious nerdgasm.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
giphy.gif

that's cute

This would seem less shocking if publishers didn't habitually reveal games too early. There's been official art going up on the site the last week, and the release date is early next year.

Wouldn't be too crazy let Bluepoint Games remake VC 2&3 using VC1 engine.
I would love that since I really like VC3 but if doesn't happen I at least hope that we get the main cast of the other games playable in HD with VC4. Also the article mentions the VC4 clases but I don't see the ones that where added in VC2/3 which I find great because I kinda felt bad in VC3 for never using the Heavy Gunners since the Shocktroopers are a lot better and Fencers don't have enough AP to make them useful in my opinion. The Armored Techs in VC3 I kinda liked but since the game rewards speed using turns on a defensive unit was a waste most of the time.

Top Bottom