• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles II |OT| Grind to get school credits which won't get anyone a job!

Salaadin

Well, I just did a "kill all soldiers" mission and had Marina basically kill every single person except for maybe one or two. She got the certificate finally.

daoster

So...August is a pain in the ass. How'd you'd guys beat it?

My strategy is basically having two fencers make a beeline for the nearest flags, and that works... And I've destroyed the the shield vehicle where Dirk is, but by that time, I'm out of CP, and Dirk comes and lays waste to me, and it all goes down hill from there.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I just started and am only into the second month, so a quick question. Judging from things so far, I assume that VC2 is more like the majority of the FE series as opposed to FFT in regards to the availability of exp and funds? That is, there's only a limited pool you'll have access to throughout each playthrough?

DarthWoo said:
I just started and am only into the second month, so a quick question. Judging from things so far, I assume that VC2 is more like the majority of the FE series as opposed to FFT in regards to the availability of exp and funds? That is, there's only a limited pool you'll have access to throughout each playthrough?

You can keep playing missions over and over, so long as they don't count towards your story quota per month. So, for example, you could buy the 3k mission early on and farm it for awhile to earn money and XP...

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Crazymoogle said:
You can keep playing missions over and over, so long as they don't count towards your story quota per month. So, for example, you could buy the 3k mission early on and farm it for awhile to earn money and XP...

Thanks. Does it matter that I already went through January? I'm not sure what you mean by story quota, but I'm guessing that's the missions that automatically end the month after you complete them?

Mashing

So, I bought this game over PSN and transferred to my PSP... is there a manual? I mean I beat VC1 yesterday so I'm well versed in the gameplay, but there may be nuances I'm missing in VC2.

daoster said:

My strategy is basically having two fencers make a beeline for the nearest flags, and that works... And I've destroyed the the shield vehicle where Dirk is, but by that time, I'm out of CP, and Dirk comes and lays waste to me, and it all goes down hill from there.

My method of passing August was patience and guarding, then attacking =p Lay waste to all the V2s on the map with the two shortcuts to Dirk, then pop up really quick to destroy the supply tank then, withdraw. Once its done, have a fencer or two lay waste to Dirk, and clean up at your leisure. Sadly, it was one commando that was hidden cost me the A rank on that mission, but it'll be done on the repeated attempt.

Really not liking November...can't wait until the story is done, and have access to all the weapons.

Mashing said:
So, I bought this game over PSN and transferred to my PSP... is there a manual? I mean I beat VC1 yesterday so I'm well versed in the gameplay, but there may be nuances I'm missing in VC2.
There is a manual. Hit triangle on the game while in the XMB and you can view it.

Mashing said:

VC2 and VC1 are very different. VC1 is about completing the objective in as few turns as possible and VC1 requires little, if any, grinding. VC2 is about completing the objective, but also killing Aces and bosses during the mission so that you can get special items. VC2 is also all about grinding and more grinding. In order to change classes in VC2 you need a variety of materials and certificates that you have to farm by constantly replaying the same maps again and again. I've spent about four hours grinding maps trying to get a certificate for one of my potential fencers with no luck. VC2 is a different and vastly inferior game.

daoster said:

My strategy is basically having two fencers make a beeline for the nearest flags, and that works... And I've destroyed the the shield vehicle where Dirk is, but by that time, I'm out of CP, and
Dirk
comes and lays waste to me, and it all goes down hill from there.

:lol told yall would have trouble with august.

have armor techs defend bases and have the tank take out
dirk
after a lancer(or the tank) takes out the supply vehicle. important to kill dirk asap as he'll keep claiming camps thus meaning endless reinforcements.

Almost all of my characters are missing exactly one component that would allow them to upgrade, most commonly Certificates. Those that do have certificates are, of course, missing one of the ordinary credits.

*sigh*

daoster

Clocian-IGN said:
:lol told yall would have trouble with august.

have armor techs defend bases and have the tank take out
dirk
after a lancer(or the tank) takes out the supply vehicle. important to kill dirk asap as he'll keep claiming camps thus meaning endless reinforcements.

Haha, I just beat that stage...when all else fails...send in the Fencers to destroy all.

Damn, I love Fencers...not even the mighty dirk can handle them!

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Pureauthor said:
Almost all of my characters are missing exactly one component that would allow them to upgrade, most commonly Certificates. Those that do have certificates are, of course, missing one of the ordinary credits.

*sigh*

What month are you in? I personally think the odds increase (a little!) depending on how far along in the year you are. Also to increase your chances, you pretty much don't want to bring out units that don't need it.

As for the other credits, chance seem to increase as long as your character is performing that actual action related to whatever credit you want. (ATT = kill things, SUPPORT = heal, repair, disarm mines, repair barriers, MRCH = capture bases, ARMS = I have absolutely no idea)

Not saying this is all confirmed, but this is what's working for me, and I'm not having too many issues w/ upgrading units.

AleeN634

Ok I understand that Class G is the reject class but really now Vicky Baytear and Nahym Dryer are really getting on my nerves.

For those looking for slightly more serious classmate sidestories I suggest completing (in no particular order): Helmut, Reiner, Mischlitt and Chloe's.

Mashing

Crazymoogle said:
There is a manual. Hit triangle on the game while in the XMB and you can view it.

Ahh thanks. I realize it was a dumb question, but this is the first PSP game I've ever downloaded.

Trent Strong said:
VC2 and VC1 are very different. VC1 is about completing the objective in as few turns as possible and VC1 requires little, if any, grinding. VC2 is about completing the objective, but also killing Aces and bosses during the mission so that you can get special items. VC2 is also all about grinding and more grinding. In order to change classes in VC2 you need a variety of materials and certificates that you have to farm by constantly replaying the same maps again and again. I've spent about four hours grinding maps trying to get a certificate for one of my potential fencers with no luck. VC2 is a different and vastly inferior game.

I didn't realize that about VC2. I was obsessed with getting A ranks in VC1, so I guess it's kinda relieving that I don't need to worry so much about that in VC2. The grinding aspect has never bothered me. I've played some very grindy JRPGs with my play clock over the 150hour mark. I worry about missing Aces though. Sometimes they are hard to spot.

duckroll

AleeN634 said:
Ok I understand that Class G is the reject class but really now Vicky Baytear and Nahym Dryer are really getting on my nerves.

For those looking for slightly more serious classmate sidestories I suggest completing (in no particular order): Helmut, Reiner, Mischlitt and Chloe's.

The funniest thing about the game is that that the new transfer students you get as you progress seem to be the rejects of rejects. They just keep getting worse and worse in terms of being sad and terrible stereotypes. I just got the butler guy, and it's really nonsensical. His standard portrait doesn't even make logical sense in any of the scenes he's in. It's just awful! :lol

time to farm for credits for
ali
and nicolus. damn I can't wait to see how badass this anti tank sniper class is :D. hoping to beat this soon, also purcharsed disgaea 1 on psn and look forward to starting the series :D....still have persona 3 and gta liberty cities to beat too....damn psp and valkyria chronicles 2 :lol

Giolon

Finally was able to force Alexis to earn a Certificate by make him #1 on the April story mission. Got 3 :lol Randomness fucking blows ass. I had to play like a scrub on that map. I really wanted to take out
Baldren
but I couldn't risk letting someone else get higher on points.

Time to try out Fencer!

SlickVic

Ugh, went to the local Kmart and couldn't find it. Asked an employee to check as well but he couldn't find it either. Called 3 other Kmarts nearby but they couldn't confirm stock. Could go check them but the drive's a bit too far (25-30 minutes) for me to make a trip without knowing if they even have it.

I figured it would be hard to find, just was hoping someone nearby would definitely have it in.

April Mission spoilers:

Fencer Alexis just
walked straight up to Baldren and murdered him. So 'Surprises', no sneaking around, no pincer. Just a Giant Sword to the face/crotch multiple times.

Alexis rocks.

Nose Master

Pureauthor said:
April Mission spoilers:

Fencer Alexis just
walked straight up to Baldren and murdered him. So 'Surprises', no sneaking around, no pincer. Just a Giant Sword to the face/crotch multiple times.

Alexis rocks.

I'll have to try this, I made Alexis a Fencer as well. It seems like once
Baldren
is dealt with that mission should be cake.

Should put the certificate bullshit in the OP. I was farming certificates for Avon, having him kill 90% of the people on the map. Got to the results screen... and the guy who healed the tank (and maybe killed a guy with intercept fire) got five certificates.

:lol

these credits are pissing me off, so Im farming for 2 support II for my anti tank sniper guy and guess what, he doesn't get them, but guess what again, another dude who didn't need support II got 2 of them! FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

daoster

What's everybody's favorite character story so far?

Colleen's and Morris' were kinda cute.
I kinda liked Vario's only because you got to see
Rosie
again.
Helmut's was kinda interesting too, though I kind of expected
Darcsen Hater
to be replaced.

Giolon

Snaku said:
Woah, woah, Udon is translating the VC artbook for domestic release? :D
VC1 thread is that way ---> But, yeah, seems like it and it's exciting!

daoster said:

Rosa
again.
Darcsen Hater
to be replaced.
I haven't done many but Melissa's was creepy, and really difficult with her as Sniper and Avan as a Scout. o_0 The only way that could've been worse I think would have been having Avan as a Lancer.

Is it going to be a problem If I just do the story missions when they become available? I don't really have time to do more filler missions than I have to.

Ikkarus

All this talk of your fancy pants fencers is depressing me.

I have had little luck in getting any of my guys a certificate. Looks like I will just keep trying until I get lucky enough.

daoster said:
Bar Marina, it's Marion. No real reasons why but just always ended up selecting her for missions.

duckroll

"Aaaaaangh... Just stroking the action is pure, heavenly ecstasy!"

.............. :lol

I actually find that I like quite a number of the supporting cast. Many of the characters are likable and have really good voices. My main beef is the the main characters are pretty bad, and the new transfers are one horrifying disaster after another.

duckroll said:
"Aaaaaangh... Just stroking the action is pure, heavenly ecstasy!"

.............. :lol

I actually find that I like quite a number of the supporting cast. Many of the characters are likable and have really good voices. My main beef is the the main characters are pretty bad, and the new transfers are one horrifying disaster after another.

"That buttery luster!" was when I lost it.

And I pretty much agree with duckroll on all counts concerning this game, except I still use Nichols a whole bunch. Oh, and Mr. Eissel is a pretty good transfer.

The Credits System, by the way, is an awful, awful system and whoever designed it needs to be tapped on the head by a Armoured Tech's War Pick.

duckroll

Pureauthor said:
The Credits System, by the way, is an awful, awful system and whoever designed it needs to be tapped on the head by a Armoured Tech's War Pick.

Which Warpick? I would prefer if we used the X-1 series. :lol

Finally got a Certificate for Nichols.

Of course the guy I pulled out for a single turn to cap a stray Shocktrooper gets a Certificate too.

Salaadin

I beat April last night. Did that asshole really take 90% of my tanks HP using his sword? WTF!?!?

Its kinda funny too. I had 2 bases taken and guarded. Franca and Colleen were inches away from the last one and Baldren, a scout, and two shocktroopers had made their way up. to the base. I had Colleen taking out the gatling gun and planned on Franca running in and taking out the guard in the base and then getting the base itself.

Everything went as planned until I took control of Franca. She ran into the base but was under heavy fire from the shocktrooper, scout, and Baldren. Her hp sank so I freaked but hit attack right in the nick of time. She was in the base, she was able to kill grenade the scout in the base, but she was also too close to her own grenade and she killed herself. I tried to get colleen into the base but she died from the gunfire before even taking two steps.

Just like that, the third and final base was out of my grasp and I couldnt do shit. Baldren then spent his next turn locking down the other bases and then switched to another area. Then I saw that I had some kid tech (scrawny little fucker, I dont even know how he wears that armor) sitting in one of the main bases guarding it from a tank and about 4 other soldiers. I called out Avan and had him run to the other 2 bases in that area. The 2nd one unlocked the base I needed so I sent Zeri to that one and spent the rest of my CP dodging tank fire, climbing, ladders, and killing the soldiers that helped do Franca in. I got him into the base and took it over. C ranking. Shit.

I dont mind the spoilers. Please tell me that I get to kill Baldren later.

BJK

Just hit March (I know, I'm slacking...this, DQ9 and my WoW addiction are all vying for my affection), and I am impressed with the sheer number of missions in comparison to the previous game. Yes, they're shorter, and with fewer units....on multi-part maps, but I'd rather have more mission variations than drilling through the same pre-set skirmishes over and over to grind levels.

+ I also like how the character scenes are based around who you take into combat with you. This alone is reason not to always take the Squad 7 transfers with me.
+ It's a nice touch to have
Welkin
playing the role of the old man you'd visit at the graveyard, teaching you new orders.
Now if I could only figure out the environmental clue for when he's available...thought it was a delivery truck, but there's always a truck driving past the store.
+ Even though I probably missed a few in the early months, it's nice to know by reading the briefing that a map has an enemy ace.
+ Lancers seem much more accurate in this game.
+ I like that there are different battle potentials that you can 'equip' to your characters by changing their classes around.
+ I love that Edy kept the 'Rosie Hater' potential,
even though I'm presuming Rosie's not in VC2

- ...which is good, since just bringing them out to take down enemy tanks doesn't get them enough credits to promote. Moreover, they seem to take enough punishment that I can run around a tank and one-shot it. I'm sure that will have to change.
- Nearly every certificate I've earned thusfar has gone to a shocktrooper. The number of enemy scouts who will try to walk past them without cover = free kills. This also makes it difficult to upgrade other classes.
- I can't appreciate the Armor Tech class without having a fencer....but I can't have a fencer without suffering through the non-promoted version of the armor tech class. It shouldn't take more turns to walk up to someone and hit them with a giant axe than it would take to just shoot them. No headshots = fail.
- I'm going to have to start grinding these maps to get a sniper or two. The general feeling I get is that I have to change my playstyle just to do what the game wants me to.
- Treating every enemy leader like an ace (or
Selvaria without the blue laser of death
) is just annoying. Also, if I aim at your legs/feet....ducking shouldn't save you.

I'm still playing catch-up with this one (just entering March) having only finish VC last weekend and just not having as much time to play as I'd like... I have to agree that after enjoying the original Valkyria Chronicles, VCII's story really falls short; even with only a few hours in, I've about had it with Avan and most of the rejects that make up Class G. Thankfully, as others have mentioned, the actual game play makes well up for it, though I agree the Certificate system is sadly broken... the grinding doesn't bother me at all - I came out of 130 hours of Peace Walker just before playing VC! :lol

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
daoster said:

Rosie
again.
Darcsen Hater
to be replaced.

Who I like....
Zeri - Anyone that is a rival to the bro-con idiot lead is my favorite male character.
Lavinia - Tomboy mechanic, sweet.
Anisette - Edy v2 with more heart, automatically awesome.
Marion - Princess with a
gun fetish
and she is really great on the battlefield. Randy - A pretty boy who has a good personality, what's not to like?
Coleen - Heart of gold, a nice character.

Who I don't like....
Avan - Bro-con idiot

Everybody else is likable, but I don't particularly like them as much or dislike them as much as said characters.

daoster

Hcoregamer00 said:
Who I like....
Zeri - Anyone that is a rival to the bro-con idiot lead is my favorite male character.
Lavinia - Tomboy mechanic, sweet.
Anisette - Edy v2 with more heart, automatically awesome.
Marion - Princess with a
gun fetish
and she is really great on the battlefield. Randy - A pretty boy who has a good personality, what's not to like?
Coleen - Heart of gold, a nice character.

Who I don't like....
Avan - Bro-con idiot

Everybody else is likable, but I don't particularly like them as much or dislike them as much as said characters.

You've actually gotten her story? I think I play her in most of my stages, but nothing has unlocked for her.

Hcoregamer00

daoster said:
You've actually gotten her story? I think I play her in most of my stages, but nothing has unlocked for her.

Nope, I haven't gotten anything from her, but that is my impression of her until March.

Maybe it will change :lol

Hamblasto

BJK said:
+ It's a nice touch to have
Welkin
playing the role of the old man you'd visit at the graveyard, teaching you new orders.
Now if I could only figure out the environmental clue for when he's available...thought it was a delivery truck, but there's always a truck driving past the store.

Actually, you need to look for a specific delivery truck. It's a different color and style from the bland trucks you see coming in and out of Lanseal. The thing is, I don't know if there's specific way to tell whether it will be
Welkin
or
Alicia
in the store aside from just checking in.

Since the game is winding down, and I got all the back stories, figure I would share my favorites and those I disliked:

Lavinia: Just like the tank-girl, no reason not to really.
Nichol: Despite the story, I like him as a scout, then sniper. Good all-arounder.
Helmut: Loved this Imp. Also seems to be one of my better snipers, especially against lancers.
Melissa: Creepy and sneaky, but don't mind her.
Nahum: Weirdly, best as a base defender. Grown to like, despite the character.
Erik: Made a great Commando, and works well against V2s as well.
Anisette/Marion: Always deploy these two in pairs. Really like both girls equally.
Reiner: One of my best lancers, and also is cool because his story. Check it out =p
Sofia: Despite just being an Engineer Vet, works as a hunter killer too.
Alexis: Great Mauler, and not ashamed to say I like him
or should I say her...
Inghild: Making a Tech Vet, really showed potential. Enemies always seem to hit her mines =p Very unusual otherwise.

Ones I dislike are simply Avan, Cosette, Randy and a few others. Missions I dislike I can sum up in one category: Escort APC missions...I shouldn't need to explain why =/

Oh, and I shall also say I really enjoyed November's main mission structure. Reminded me of
taking out the train cannon in VC1, and I liked the challenge of sneaking one character to the target, whilst engaging in a battle as well

Since I am on the topic of November, one little hint I can give to you, as someone who failed it several times...
There is a heavy scout on the tower near where you start, take it out, then go down the ladder. I never knew why that tank would spot me in the grass, until I took him out...duh =p Oh, and check your feet for land mines..failed once doing that... =/

duckroll

HEY STUPID FUCKING GAME, DO YOU REALIZE HOW DUMB IT IS WHEN MORRIS DOES 80% OF EVERYTHING IN 3 FULL FUCKING TURNS, AND YOU GIVE THE CERTIFICATES TO THE SHOCKTROOPER WHO ONLY CAME IN FOR A SINGLE TURN TO SHOOT SOME RANDOM ENEMY? SHE ALREADY HAS 5 CERTIFICATES, AND SHE ALREADY UPGRADED HER CLASS. WHY THE FUCK! WHAT THE FUCK! FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF MELTDOWN. :lol :lol :lol

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
duckroll said:
HEY STUPID FUCKING GAME, DO YOU REALIZE HOW DUMB IT IS WHEN MORRIS DOES 80% OF EVERYTHING IN 3 FULL FUCKING TURNS, AND YOU GIVE THE CERTIFICATES TO THE SHOCKTROOPER WHO ONLY CAME IN FOR A SINGLE TURN TO SHOOT SOME RANDOM ENEMY? SHE ALREADY HAS 5 CERTIFICATES, AND SHE ALREADY UPGRADED HER CLASS. WHY THE FUCK! WHAT THE FUCK! FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF MELTDOWN. :lol :lol :lol

Wow... I was coming here to post the exact same fucking thing! Stupid fucking certificates! I swear, I have characters with a ton of them. So annoying.

I freaking hate Chloe. She is unplayable. Same as in part one, if any character has a potential that has them not perform an important action (I'm looking at you NANCY!) then they go to the never see the battlefield list. I hate her so much.

So with her, and the filthy Darcsen haters (if they hate Darcsens so much, they should join the rebellion so then I can shoot them in the face), that's 4 characters who I can't play. And I'm considering benching Edit: Coleen, too.

Thanks HCoreGamer00, Coleen is who I meant, not Rene. Rene's awesome.

I know finishing the character missions can sometimes alter the negative potentials, but do any of the Darcsen haters lose their potential if I took the time to use them until their missions are unlocked?

Giolon

duckroll said:
Now you know how I felt trying to get even a single certificate for my Armored Tech

Hcoregamer00

Galactic Fork said:
Wow... I was coming here to post the exact same fucking thing! Stupid fucking certificates! I swear, I have characters with a ton of them. So annoying.

I agree, while the system itself is not bad, the implementation is horrendous. I rather that you can pool certificates together and you can distribute them when you want it. It is also pretty annoying that you need a certificate to move between classes, even if you already unlocked it the first time around >_<.

Galactic Fork said:
I freaking hate Chloe. She is unplayable. Same as in part one, if any character has a potential that has them not perform an important action (I'm looking at you NANCY!) then they go to the never see the battlefield list. I hate her so much.

Colleen was the same way, thankfully after you beat her story she turns from useless to effing awesome.

Top Bottom