• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles |OT| Beautiful art meets genre-redefining gameplay

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Snaku said:
But I can't one shot the turrets with the lancers. I don't have multiple shots for the lancers or the snipers either.
You don't have to one-shot the turrets, and just be sure to have an engineer or two ready to refill ammo.

XiaNaphryz said:
What? I thought that wasn't a level thing, but a weapon research branch thing.
It's both. You need to be level 11 and at a specific point in the game (don't remember where). Then the upgrades are available in R&D.

Owensboro

Just beat the game!
I really loved the ending too. There was something hilarous, and yet comforting about them using Isara's plane to rescue Welkin and Alicia. Definately made me think of some cheesy 80's action flicks, but in a good way. Am I the only one that wanted "Escape from the Marmosa" to be an actual mission though? I was all super pumped when it cut scenes because I was imagining this mission where you had to outrun a wave of fire / weave your way through the burning insides and kill soldiers still left alive inside the tank on your way to the top of it.
Thumbs up all around.

I'm actually real excited about new game +'ing it, and this time I'll use a guide while I run through. I need to complete everyone's bios. Bring on the DLC Sega!

Snaku said:
Having a hard time getting passed that chapter, and I don't suppose I could make that strategy work seeing as how his soldiers are way stronger than what I have...

here's how it's done.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14118466&postcount=3997

Reposted here for convenience.

HOW TO BEAT CHAPTER 7
Have at least one engineer with Welkin, and a sniper. The rest can be whatever I chose a lancer. The first part will mostly be Welkin doing the work.
On the South team, have Alicia, Rosie, Largo, another shock trooper or two, and another Lancer. make sure you have at least two lancers in total.

Turn One:
Move Welkin to intercept the tank. Take out the front turret, and the east turret (if possible). Go back into original position
Take Alicia, and grenade the wall just north of the second base. Alternatively, use a shocktrooper to do that as he's moving in to defend the second base.

Turn Two:
The tank should start moving, and should end up directly in front of Welkin. Take out the two north facing cannons. Use your sniper to take out the Lancer up on the cliff edge if he's already targeted Welkin. Use your engineer to heal up Welkin.
Move your scout and shock trooper into the second base.
If you can spare it, use your lancers to take out the south turret (the one in the front, if Welkin hasn't already done so).

Turn 3:
The tank will take out the first base at this point. Have Welkin take out the rear turret, and the last south facing turret (rear side). Start moving your Lancer southward.
Your scout and shocktrooper should be taking care of the on rushing troops without you needing to interfere.

Turn 4:
The tank will use his energy cannon to take out the first wall. Move your Engineer to left ladder on the tank and drop a grenade in. At this point, most of the enemy troops will have all been defeated too. Move Alicia to grenade the wall east of the 2nd base. Move your shocktrooper back to the trenches.

Turn 5:
Bombing the second radiator should be the last thing you do in this turn.
Move EVERYBODY except the sniper and your north lancer to the north side of the wall so that the hill and trenches are clear. Move Welkin to the small wall on the east and have him back up to it so the radiator is completely shielded by the standing wall.
Use a high movement character (I chose Engineer) to bomb the rear or right side radiator. After cutscene, move your engineer back into safety and huddle with the rest. make sure Alicia has enough room to move out.

Turn 6:
Brace yourself, here come the troops! By this time, Selveria should be hovering around on the south side of the wall, and a lancer should have revealed himself. Your north Lancer may have taken some decoy damage from Selveria too.

Snipe off the lancer if possible. If not, that's okay. Move Welkin to the west side of the wall everyone is cowering behind. Have him face south. He'll be blocking Selveria's progress this way, and will be your turret for the gambit. Hold position. You can use Rosie to peek outside the wall to take out oncoming troops, or use Welkin's Mortar to kill anything oncoming. It should be safe at this point to move your sniper to the remains of the 1st base, and snipe out any troops that have passed Welkin.

Turn 7:
The tank cannon should have fired at this time. Clear out any remaining troops, and then send in Alicia to board the tank and take out the last radiator.
At this point, focus your two lancers and Welkin to take that sucker out! When you run out of ammo, use your engineer to restock them up. You should be able to finish it off in this turn.

gokieks

radiantdreamer said:
here's how it's done.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14118466&postcount=3997

Reposted here for convenience.

HOW TO BEAT CHAPTER 7
Have at least one engineer with Welkin, and a sniper. The rest can be whatever I chose a lancer. The first part will mostly be Welkin doing the work.
On the South team, have Alicia, Rosie, Largo, another shock trooper or two, and another Lancer. make sure you have at least two lancers in total.

Turn One:
Move Welkin to intercept the tank. Take out the front turret, and the east turret (if possible). Go back into original position
Take Alicia, and grenade the wall just north of the second base. Alternatively, use a shocktrooper to do that as he's moving in to defend the second base.

Turn Two:
The tank should start moving, and should end up directly in front of Welkin. Take out the two north facing cannons. Use your sniper to take out the Lancer up on the cliff edge if he's already targeted Welkin. Use your engineer to heal up Welkin.
Move your scout and shock trooper into the second base.
If you can spare it, use your lancers to take out the south turret (the one in the front, if Welkin hasn't already done so).

Turn 3:
The tank will take out the first base at this point. Have Welkin take out the rear turret, and the last south facing turret (rear side). Start moving your Lancer southward.
Your scout and shocktrooper should be taking care of the on rushing troops without you needing to interfere.

Turn 4:
The tank will use his energy cannon to take out the first wall. Move your Engineer to left ladder on the tank and drop a grenade in. At this point, most of the enemy troops will have all been defeated too. Move Alicia to grenade the wall east of the 2nd base. Move your shocktrooper back to the trenches.

Turn 5:
Bombing the second radiator should be the last thing you do in this turn.
Move EVERYBODY except the sniper and your north lancer to the north side of the wall so that the hill and trenches are clear. Move Welkin to the small wall on the east and have him back up to it so the radiator is completely shielded by the standing wall.
Use a high movement character (I chose Engineer) to bomb the rear or right side radiator. After cutscene, move your engineer back into safety and huddle with the rest. make sure Alicia has enough room to move out.

Turn 6:
Brace yourself, here come the troops! By this time, Selveria should be hovering around on the south side of the wall, and a lancer should have revealed himself. Your north Lancer may have taken some decoy damage from Selveria too.

Snipe off the lancer if possible. If not, that's okay. Move Welkin to the west side of the wall everyone is cowering behind. Have him face south. He'll be blocking Selveria's progress this way, and will be your turret for the gambit. Hold position. You can use Rosie to peek outside the wall to take out oncoming troops, or use Welkin's Mortar to kill anything oncoming. It should be safe at this point to move your sniper to the remains of the 1st base, and snipe out any troops that have passed Welkin.

Turn 7:
The tank cannon should have fired at this time. Clear out any remaining troops, and then send in Alicia to board the tank and take out the last radiator.
At this point, focus your two lancers and Welkin to take that sucker out! When you run out of ammo, use your engineer to restock them up. You should be able to finish it off in this turn.

I don't know what version of the game you've been playing, but on mine, the radiators are not available to be hit until turns 4, 6, and 9.

Does anyone know where one can obtain Rosie's Song (english version)? I much preferred the dub version, and as such its obviously not on the japanese OST.

Its a wonderful song, and in the game's sound-test, so am a little surprised the internet hasn't worked its usual magic.

Actually, it'd be neat if the mp3 was like an added extra when you buy the DLC, but I doubt they'll do that :/

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
buffi said:
Is it ok to start laughing in the face of everyone who made comments like this in the beginning of the thread yet?

Technically they are correct if they lived in some parts of Europe.

If they are in NA, some laugh are in order.

RpgN

^
EU doesn't have either except for theHut, an online shop that gets stuff in a very weird way. And 1 UK online gameshop.
buffi said:
Is it ok to start laughing in the face of everyone who made comments like this in the beginning of the thread yet?

Yes!

So let's HAHAHA at them ^_^ Especially that thread where amazon had a deal, everyone said it was bomba and they would wait for further pricedrop.

So uhm...HAHAHAHAHA!!

:p

j/k

buffi

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
Technically they are correct if they lived in some parts of Europe.

If they are in NA, some laugh are in order.

I live in Europe (Sweden).
It's pretty much sold out everywhere here as well. I've seen it in one retail store recently but it's sold out in all online stores in Sweden afaik.

Might be different in other countries of course though.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
RpgN said:
Yes!

So let's HAHAHA at them ^_^ Especially that thread where amazon had a deal, everyone said it was bomba and they would wait for further pricedrop.

I knew that the game would not price collapse the moment people starting complaining about not finding the game.

Of course, it was funny because people expected Valkyria to be one of the sales items on Amazon.

f23bb1c1.gif

The joke is on them

RpgN

Hcoregamer00 said:
I knew that the game would not price collapse the moment people starting complaining about not finding the game.

Of course, it was funny because people expected Valkyria to be one of the sales items on Amazon.

The joke is on them

Thank you sista, we were alone in that thread and we became right ;D

Slavik81

Fuck. I just failed the first level with Maximillion. I had it all set up to destroy all three radiators in a single turn...

And then I find out that the radiators close each time you destroy one. Fuck.

Also, because I killed all his forces early on in the mission, he had the maximum number of command points possible when his reinforcements arrived. Basically, he just moved all his people up in a single turn, and wiped out half my team. Then an absurdly lucky lancer hit my weakpoint.

Darkpen

Banned
Slavik81 said:
Fuck. I just failed the first level with Maximillion. I had it all set up to destroy all three radiators in a single turn...

Also, because I killed all his forces early on in the mission, he had the maximum number of command points possible when his reinforcements arrived. Basically, he just moved all his people up in a single turn, and wiped out half my team. Then an absurdly lucky lancer hit my weakpoint.
:lol

kswiston

After failing to find a copy at any of my local game retailers, I ordered Valkyria Chronicles from Amazon.ca only to see it sit on back order for 2 weeks now. If they don't receive another shipment I may be SOL. I KNEW I should have picked this game up when it was first release.

zoku88

Slavik81 said:
You probably should've spoiled tagged that.

Anyway, I basically had killed everyone too

Basically, you should position your troops so that they can crouch. My troops were able to kill mostt of the non-Sevaria troops when they came.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Slavik81 said:

Yeah, you want to move most of your squad as far away as possible before reinforcements show up, so that they're not spotted. Just keep a few squad members hidden behind the tank, and kill the reinforcements from a sniper afar and your tank as you wait for the next radiator to come out (even if they have 20 CPs a turn).

Snaku

Banned
Slavik81 said:

I had all of my team retreated down to the last base by that point, save for Alicia who was waiting to take out the last radiator. Once Selvaria's forces got in range of Welkin, I launched a couple mortars into their groups and wiped them all out except for Selvaria and one lancer.
They were never much of an issue.

Also keep Welken's radiator up against a wall. :)

gokieks said:
I don't know what version of the game you've been playing, but on mine, the radiators are not available to be hit until turns 4, 6, and 9.

If you're in the way of the tank, he won't move, which is why it will take many many turns before he gets to the wall.

Also, if you don't grenade the walls to block his path, then he'll just pass right through. No use of cannon, no exposed radiators.

gokieks

radiantdreamer said:
If you're in the way of the tank, he won't move, which is why it will take many many turns before he gets to the wall.

Also, if you don't grenade the walls to block his path, then he'll just pass right through. No use of cannon, no exposed radiators.

No, 9 turns is the minimum for Bartomys to destroy the 3rd wall, even without being blocked and all ruin walls knocked down - it won't move and fire the cannon on the same turn. You should play the mission again and see.

So my goal for tonight is to S rank the Selvaria DLC. It has been a lot better than the first DLC so far. I can't wait to get the bonus stage. I hope I can pull this off tonight. Gonna be saving mid battle a lot. lol.

DunpealD

RpgN said:
^
EU doesn't have either except for theHut, an online shop that gets stuff in a very weird way. And 1 UK online gameshop.

Nope even TheHut doesn't has it either, the site says "Usually despatched within 2-4 weeks.".

Shadow780 said:
Please allow me to join, $49.99 (amazon deal)may be the lowest price you can score a new copy...ever.:lol

I scored it at their price that means I scored it for about $43 :p and it's not even a deal.

Hell yeah. S rank on the first selvaria mission. I think this second one is new though. :eek:

At least I hope so. Not sure what exactly activates this other mission.

Darkpen

Banned
BudokaiMR2 said:
Hell yeah. S rank on the first selvaria mission. I think this second one is new though. :eek:

At least I hope so. Not sure what exactly activates this other mission.
D:!

I want Valkyria DLC :(

Hmmm I don't know how to unlock this other mission. There is a second version of the 2nd stage in the Selveria DLC. I have S ranks on mission one and two now but I can't even try the other one. :(

edit: I just looked up a wiki and figured it out. Now to actually do it.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Psychotext said:
Ah. =/

On an unrelated note... in training you can unlock new potentials. Is this random or does it happen at specific levels?

Specific levels. There's a faq on gamefaqs that lists it out.

I bought this game not too long ago ($59.99 ;P). and I played up to chapter 2 and I like what I did play. My game backlog is too much so I'll be playing it from time to time.

Snaku

Banned
DMPrince said:
I bought this game not too long ago ($59.99 ;P). and I played up to chapter 2 and I like what I did play. My game backlog is too much so I'll be playing it from time to time.

Valkyria does not belong in any backlog. Play it now!

Volcynika

DMPrince said:

I bought it on launch and was a big supporter early on, but I'm only on Chapter 8.

:(

I feel like such a bad person!

RpgN

Volcynika said:
I bought it on launch and was a big supporter early on, but I'm only on Chapter 8.

:(

I feel like such a bad person!

You're just trying to give it time to enjoy it at its fullest. I find that great actually :D

Chapter 17 is really cool. I'm going to enjoy this with my different strategies.

Diablos

Man, does this game END?

I'm on Chapter 15... I must admit, I only play it a couple times a week... but I still have a bit longer to go. This battle with
Selvaria taking people out with just a few shots
is annoying as hell. I just want to beat this game so I can resume TLR, bahhhh

I love Valkyria, but it's getting to a point where it seems kind of overkill...

Diablos said:
Man, does this game END?

I'm on Chapter 15... I must admit, I only play it a couple times a week... but I still have a bit longer to go. This battle with
Selvaria taking people out with just a few shots
is annoying as hell. I just want to beat this game so I can resume TLR, bahhhh

I love Valkyria, but it's getting to a point where it seems kind of overkill...

You're getting close, I believe. You and I are at roughly the same chapter. (I've decided not to read whatever you have spoilered, just in case. ;)

There are 18 chapters in total. Chapters 16 and 17 have 1 battle each, 18 has 2. Chp 17 is tough, but 16 and the 18 are fairly easy, especially at such a late stage in the game.

Well I finished all of the selvaria including the bonus mission. I think I am gonna start my second run through the game. Do I just load up my clear data?

web01

Any general tips for chapter 14?
I am constantly get overwhelmbed by the snipers that spawn in the bottom of the map. I am able to take out the bottom dominus tank in the 1st turn it spawns. But I just get slowly taken out by the constantly respawning enemies without doing major damage to the other tank.

gokieks

web01 said:
Any general tips for chapter 14?
I am constantly get overwhelmbed by the snipers that spawn in the bottom of the map. I am able to take out the bottom dominus tank in the 1st turn it spawns. But I just get slowly taken out by the constantly respawning enemies without doing major damage to the other tank.

The tanks don't spawn until your capture the base. If you want to do it the easy way, just send a Lancer or Tank (Shamrock being the better choice, as it has more AP) to each of the spawn points first. Then capture the base, and you can easily destroy the tanks as soon as they spawn. It's a cheesy tactic, but highly effective.

Top Bottom