• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyrie of the Battlefield Screneshots

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Duderz said:
Eternal Sonata's cel-shading looks more appealing to me is all.
To be fair neither this nor ES is actually celshaded in any manner.
Both rely heavily on tried and true PS2 generation method of just drawing shading into-textures. Japan is still working their way up to wonders of realtime lighting.
Although the pencilstroke shadow filter works well in here, regardless of what I think of character art.

Grimmy said:
No more pencil fuzz??
It's all there - they use it in shadowed areas, and new shots are at angles with fewer of those visible (but you can still see them if you look).
v10.jpg

Pachael

The pencil shade filter's toned down a fair bit, which on reflection I like a bit better. Hope this turns out well gameplay-wise.

Durante

Looks very beautiful in the 500*281 shots. Hope it's not too "Japanese" in terms of image quality at 720p. Anyway, it's still one of the PS3 titles that I find most interesting.

And no, it doesn't look like it can be done on Wii. Not even close.

Zyzyxxz

Hmm am I the only one that notices they are using weapons that look to be post-WWII, the gun with the wood reminds me of a MP44 and H&K G3 with wood trim while in another screenshot you see the silhouette of an L96 sniper rifle which is quite modern.

Also why the hell are there even melee type characters in kind of game. I usually dont like it when they decide to throw in swords in the age of guns?

I mean if there are sword and guns in the game for some reason the sword will also be stronger when guns should be more powerful, Devil May Cry does not count since hes a demon, I mean in realistic sense though. Im hoping its only gonna focus on ranged combat and any blades will be confined to cutscenes.

Yes I like my guns there you have it.

Gwanatu T

Wow, I LOVE the art style! I know when I saw the first scans I thought it was just part of the magazine scan (artifacts or something), but it's sweet looking in real screens. Nice job former Overworks guys, keep up the good work and give me Skies 2!

Woz

Zyzyxxz said:
Also why the hell are there even melee type characters in kind of game. I usually dont like it when they decide to throw in swords in the age of guns?

I don't see any sword... you mean the guy with the knight spear?

segaps35.jpg

Maybe is a sort of Panzerfaust :/

Vuffster

Woz said:
I don't see any sword... you mean the guy with the knight spear? Maybe is a sort of Panzerfaust :/
If memory serves, it's actually some sort of armor-piercing gun (think early bazooka), not actually a spear... I'm pretty sure I remember it shooting something in one of the videos. I could be wrong, though.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
ethelred said:
No, it's people who worked on Sakura Taisen, not Skies of Arcadia.

Which makes it even better.

Day 1 purchase for Japan sales if there is no USA announcement.

Stuff like this is why I am buying a PS3.

D2M15 said:
Nice outfits.

The most vehemently anti-Sony journo I know kissed and made up with Krazy Ken's box after playing the TGS demo, so I'm quietly excited. Then again, they had me at 'watercolour retro-futurist wargame featuring sharp-cheekboned female cast'.

I've got this nagging suspicion that the most vehement Sony antagonists will have a similar reaction after seeing Team ICO's current project... but that's for another day.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Oh yeah, and I noticed in this thread that people are saying that this game has loli's all over the place.

With all the screenshots I see, the females in the game are not loli's since loli's don't have....you know.....breasts. They also don't look like 10 year old girls.

Zeed

Banned
One of my most anticipated titles of...well I hope 2008.

Duderz said:
It doesn't look bad, but I'm just not seeing the praise it's getting. Eternal Sonata's cel-shading looks more appealing to me is all.
Have you actually seen this in motion? Don't get me wrong, I'm in love with Eternal Sonata's art style, but Valkyrie blows it out of the goddamn water.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Finaika said:
Oh you mean Red Entertainment? Still nice.

Has this been confirmed for a US release?
No, not Red Entertainment.

I think people need to stop saying anything related to Sakura Taisen in these threads, because it's not entirely the case and only serves to confuse people.

Finaika

icecream said:

I think people need to stop saying anything related to Sakura Taisen in these threads, because it's not entirely the case and only serves to confuse people.
I'm baffled to the last drop.

I remember this rendering style way back from a Radeon 9700PRO demo. I always wondered whether a game would leverage it. Can't honestly say I'm particularly impressed by the results, it just looks like it's been slapped on top of a different game like a "smartshader" effect rather than had the visual style developed around it.

ethelred

icecream said:

Why? The game is being made by people at Sega who worked on Sakura Taisen. Should we all just instead say the game is being made by people with zero developmental experience because we don't want to confuse the precious little brains of the children?

icecream

Public Health Threat
ethelred said:
Should we all just instead say the game is being made by people with zero developmental experience because we don't want to confuse the precious little brains of the children?
It also helps to clarify it so you don't get posts like:

Oh you mean Red Entertainment? Still nice.
Which is pretty much the first thing that comes to people's minds when one refers just to Sakura Taisen. I have no doubts this will turn out to be a nice game, but I certainly do not expect it to follow in ST's footsteps in any way.

ethelred

Okay then. Valkyrie of the Battlefield is being made by people who attended the Sega Technical Institute and then were cryogenically frozen. They never attended any classes and they've never actually made a game before, so let's all hope for the best!

Pachael

icecream said:

I agree it's not Red, aka no madness of Hiroi Ouji present. But like I've said before, the dev team are made up of members who've worked on SakuTai before (Especially when Overworks had to do it), and it does seem like Valkyrie's following in these footsteps, particularly with the weird Engrish system names: They call the drawing method 'CANVAS' and the battle system 'BLITZ', the latter reminding me of SakuTai's 'ARMS', which doesn't make much sense but sound kind of cool.

A Famitsu article talking about Valkyrie mentions SakuTai straight up:
http://www.famitsu.com/interview/article/2007/08/29/668,1188363648,77150,0,0.html

Talking about Famitsu, there are new scans of Valkyrie with hint of Sakamoto ;D:
Thanks to creamsugar for the scans, duckroll for identifying the guy in 'da house' in the second scan:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8598906&postcount=66

Zen

Banned
Hm, I preferred to greater Pencil Fuzz in the earlier stuff. It made it look more textured and, well, better, imo.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I'm still very confused about how this is played, I think it's a real-time strategy shooter of some sort?

FredFish

jj984jj said:
I'm still very confused about how this is played, I think it's a real-time strategy shooter of some sort?

From the TGS gameplay vids Gametrailers had it reminded me of the PC game Silent Storm. Turn based but the action was 'real time' during your turn. Check the vids, the game looks ace in motion.

Top Bottom