• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Value Electronics 2021 TV shootout.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
https://www.techhive.com/article/3633669/tv-shootout-judges-declare-3-winners.html

This happened about a week ago so sorry it's a bit lttp but this is a shootout that happens every year with industry professionals, calibrators, and av enthusiasts deciding what the best overall TVs are for the year. OLED wins again. This isn't meant to be a stealth brag thread but those of you who might be on the fence between OLED or LCD might want to see what the experts say. There's also an 8-hour video of the event out there if you feel like that's worth your time.

Fbh

It's missing a category for us people that don't want to spend $2k on a TV.
I'm looking for a TV right now (in the under $800 range) and you've got the more basic LG Oled without the 120hz, HDMI 2.1, VRR etc, vs non OLED screens that have that kinda stuff

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It's missing a category for us people that don't want to spend $2k on a TV.
I'm looking for a TV right now (in the under $800 range) and you've got the more basic LG Oled without the 120hz, HDMI 2.1, VRR etc, vs non OLED screens that have that kinda stuff
They really should have a budget category but this event is meant to crown "the king of tvs" lol. I've heard the newest tcls are pretty great. The R646 I think it's' called. Should be a lot closer to your price range.

Last edited:

Little Mac

I got a 55" 4k TCL Roku Series 6 TV in 2018 and have loved it ever since. I think it was on sale at the time for around $650.

I'm sure there are better tvs in that price range now but I just wanted to say I was impressed with TCL in regards to getting the best bang for your buck. In a few years I'll probably be looking out for whatever 65" options they have in the $800 dollar range.

Last edited:

Fbh

They really should have a budget category but this event is meant to crown "the king of tvs" lol. I've heard the newest tcls are pretty great. The R646 I think it's' called. Should be a lot closer to your price range.

Yeah from what I've read, TLC seems the way to go when it comes to cheaper good quality TV's, sadly the brand has a very limited presence in my country, they mostly just bring their very chap low end models. The only ok one they have right now is the C715 which seems decent but doesn't have particularly good reviews.

I'm currently eyeing the Sony X85J, it's tad overpriced but it has been on sale for reasonable prices. It has 120hz and HDMI 2.1.
No local dimming though, but to be fair I kinda prefer no local dimming over bad one, as it's usually distracting.

gatti-man

First impressions are big with me so the OLED ship has sailed as far I'm concerned
Your loss. Had a 75” c8 OLED for years no ghost images or IR at all. Games movies doesn’t matter. Best image I’ve ever seen by far sans the new Sony OLED.

T8SC

I like my LG CX OLED.

I also like the Panasonic Plasma it replaced... which I still own, because for a 1080p display, it's bloody good.

Sony top TV again... no surprises there.

I own the lower end Bravia (X900s) but I love em.

Samsung's QC went to shit and their TV OS sucks. They also lost me on the phone end (went to iPhone). Shame, used to love Samsung.

When I was a broke college student, TCL was my go-to. Glad they're still making good stuff.

I don't keep up with TV reviews as much, but Sony is my go-to now if budget is ~$800+.

Top Bottom