• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve and Xi3 announce Steam-based mini-PC

They're not going after consoles, Playstation and Xbox. They don't care about consoles. They care about PC. And they're going after Windows.

Right?

Also makes sense about the laissez faire announcement of this hardware. From Valve's point of view it's not really the big deal. It's one piece of a puzzle, the big part of which is on their software side, and that's what'll get the 'big deal' announcement.

And they expect develeoper to code for this? With an install base of 1%?

I am developer.... and I couldn't give a flying sh*it about coding for a new platform. I already have 3... Windows, iOs and Andoid (which I don't support anyway due to braindead tools).

Durante

Somebody posted these pictures on Reddit claiming they are taken at CES today.
TeOAR.jpg

V7AU8.jpg

hvEMK.jpg

Also a Video on Youtube.
I just noticed that the closed device in the second picture is actually clearly different from the open one in the third.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
And they expect develeoper to code for this? With an install base of 1%?

They'll make the same kinds of pitch any new platform with 0% share makes.

I can see them getting support. Some philosophical (i.e. 'we don't like where windows is going either!'), some based on business - Valve has powerful marketing tools in the steam store to help supporting partners with. Porting from Windows will probably be very easy. They won't necessarily pivot on exclusive support. They'd love that, of course, and I think they'll get some from hopefuls looking to share Valve's limelight, but I think initially they'll sell it mainly on a promise of a nicer and more performant runtime environment for your games. It'll probably be a very easy dual-boot on your PC, and very fast to get in and out of.

I just noticed that the closed device in the second picture is actually clearly different from the open one in the third.

Check the video. The backside really has lots of ports. The piston he is holding is a prototype as far as I understand, so it may be the same or not.

Valve is making another one, aimed at games. We know per their engineer's comments that they're working on a OS, linux-based. The big idea is the OS, not the hardware.

Yeah,I kinda agree. Perhaps we've been wrong all this time talking about the SteamBox and we should start talking about the SteamOS. :)

So reflecting on this more, I see a possibility that has me more excited again, but for different reasons.

Probably something others have already thought about.

I'm thinking in light of this...Valve isn't building a new single-spec console platform. They're building a new PC platform.

We have the Windows and Mac and Linux platforms for PC already.

Valve is making another one, aimed at games. We know per their engineer's comments that they're working on a OS, linux-based. The big idea is the OS, not the hardware. It'll work optimally out of the box for TV or monitor. It'll be console-like in terms of simplicity and immediacy. It'll claim better performance for games than Windows on the same hardware.

If you're making a new OS, having hardware come preloaded with it would be nice. Hence Valve's investment in this company and their backing of their living room PCs. This and other partnerships will help them be taken seriously by other bigger hardware players in the future.

These PCs will come preloaded with this new OS. As might others Valve can partner with - from low power things to high power things. And they'll make it available for your existing PC too.

It's a new PC platform. Not a new console platform. The disconnect for me was thinking about it in the latter terms. In the former this all makes a lot more sense. Makes sense of their comments about Windows lately, makes sense of their pointing out how games/engines can run better under alternative runtime environments. They'll evangelise their new OS as the best way to get the most out of your PC for games. You'll still have the steam store on Windows, obviously, but Valve will leverage a base of partner hardware and user adoption to promote their OS as a growing and better alternative.

They're not going after consoles, Playstation and Xbox. They don't care about consoles. They care about PC. And they're going after Windows.

Right?

(Also makes sense about the laissez faire announcement of this hardware. From Valve's point of view it's not really the big deal. It's one piece of a puzzle, the big part of which is on their software side, and that's what'll get the 'big deal' announcement.)

Developing and supporting an operating system is a pretty involved and difficult thing, one that many companies larger than Valve have failed at. It requires hundreds of employees. I don't see Valve going that far, they are probably just licensing an OS. Going after Windows like this is something way over Valve's head, they don't have the manpower or resources.

Durante

Why are chrome-ish materials still being used in hardware design? First the NVidia handheld and now this.
I think in this case it's fine since the thing is actually made from metal, and the main body is (awesome) matte black.

What's really terribly is chromed plastic or glossy plastic in general.

Chinner

Banned
Has this been confirmed to be the system that Valve was hinting at?

we don't know. i suspect that steambox will be more of a certification than one specific machine, so we may see more popping up. we do know that valve have had hardware engineers for some time working on something, but it may be a controller.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Android became a huge hit on tablets and smartphones for a linux based os, SteamOS or Piston can be a huge hit for consoles.

Playing with semantics a bit here, but it's not about 'consoles' in the Playstation or Xbox sense.

This will compete with consoles - as a PC. But as a PC OS equally tuned for TV play.

Look how gabe newell talked about it before. There's a clear divide, and they're on the PC side. But they want to bring their own OS/platform.

Just my 2 cents anyway. We'll see.

Developing and supporting an operating system is a pretty involved and difficult thing, one that many companies larger than Valve have failed at. It requires hundreds of employees. I don't see Valve going that far, they are probably just licensing an OS.

Well they are building out on the linux kernel...not starting from scratch.

dani_dc

I don't know why people expect the Steambox to be so much like a closed console. We are probably going to see a range of Steam-certified "Steamboxes" with this being just one of them.

That's more or less what I expected as well, people are too used to the idea of a "console" that when they heard of a "Steambox" to compete in the console space they thought of something that would follow the console model, rather than a range of gaming oriented boxes to fit various needs.

I'm hoping to see a handheld solution to some degree as well, it's something I've been wanting to happen for awhile.

Playing with semantics a bit here, but it's not about 'consoles' in the Playstation or Xbox sense.

This will compete with consoles - as a PC. But as a PC OS equally tuned for TV play.

Look how gabe newell talked about it before. There's a clear divide, and they're on the PC side. But they want to bring their own OS/platform.

Just my 2 cents anyway. We'll see.

Well they are building out on the linux kernel...not starting from scratch.

I said consoles for two reasons, mainly I think Valve may push different "consoles" into the market ranging on hardware and price. Second reason, Android united many smartphone producer, and console market may get larger this generation with more entries. So we may see them getting SteamOs if it is as free as android to save from building their own.

KingKong

Would people really want a locked in SteamOS or Linux based Steam?

It would mean no Origin (no battlefield, mass effect, dragon age, dead space, etc), no Blizzard games (they are just working on one title on linux), no league of legends, no guild wars 2, etc. And what about mods? Would something like Day Z be installable? Kotor 2 fix? Dark Souls/Thief dll fixes?

derFeef

It would mean no Origin (no battlefield, mass effect, dragon age, dead space, etc), no Blizzard games (they are just working on one title on linux), no league of legends, no guild wars 2, etc. And what about mods? Would something like Day Z be installable? Kotor 2 fix? Dark Souls/Thief dll fixes?

I always wondered that, people go crazy over a closed "steam box" and I just don't get it.

tci

Mass production would solve a lot of the problems with not off the shelf parts, and besides the modules use off the shelf components on custom design boards.
ofc, this will fall in price when mass produces. The idea is really good and I hope this takes off. This is how PC's should have been for years.

They haven't said you can't install Windows, have they?
Steam's Big Picture Mode is available on Windows as well, should you want to use it. Of course it won't be as optimal though.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

I don't think you'll be locked in, necessarily.

It'll be a fast dual-boot away from windows. Will build over time to host more and more of your PC game playing....or so valve will hope.

For hardware that comes with just it, preloaded...yeah, you don't have windows stuff out of the box. But same for any new platform...

I think valve would be angling to get to a point where they are the preferred PC games platform, though, obviously...

DTKT

Steam's Big Picture Mode is available on Windows as well, should you want to use it. Of course it won't be as optimal though.

That totally defeats the purpose of the device. It's effectively going to prevent me from playing GFWL, Yuplay, Origin or any other game that is not on Steam. I mean, any of the big MMO or free to play games are huge. That's cutting off a significant part of the userbase.

That doesn't seem like a very interesting solution.

EVIL

people havent said anything, this all is pure speculation based of comments from valve and partners.

sure its a linux box. but we al know how "easy" you can install anything on a linux box.

Lynn616

according to the cnet article, they are basing it on the $999 version of the Xi3, but it will end up with different specs (probably richland) and a different form factor (though of course you always hear about form factors changing, and in the end they don't always)

I am just hoping they get the price down to $300, the individual hardware parts can be assembled by you or me for ~$300, (in a generic small case) so I'm hoping they can keep it below that mark, it would actually make sense if it played most next gen games (PC versions obviously) at an entry level below other next gen consoles, and also supported a large library of PC only games, like blizzard games. They have a linux client for WoW that is poorly kept secret, and have future titles coming to linux, so games like this could be a main reason console gamers buy the thing.

My wife needs a new PC. If this thing was at a price of $300 then I would wipe it and install Windows on it for her. Now that I would buy. No way it is coming down from $1000 to $300.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
You guys aren't getting it... This thing is the "steambox" and it's more than you think. This is what I believe they will do:

1. Price Point $399 or $449 w/ controller. One SKU

2. Linux-based, opens to Big Picture Mode

3. All linux games will work out of the box, obviously, but not many games there

4. At launch, there will be a small # of launch games, some timed-exclusive, but nothing too big.

5. Developers can port their current games and/or develop their multi-platform current and next gen games on steambox as well as 360/pc/ps3/wiiU/720/ps4.

6. More powerful than WiiU but less powerful than 720/PS4.

7. The Kicker: Similar to the Nvidia Shield, this unit will be primarily targeted as a "streambox" for Steam Games running on a windows PC. The quality of the stream will be dependent on the power of the PC and the bandwidth available in the house. The more powerful those components are, the closer to 1:1 streaming that you will get. Get those comfy couches ready for your games to be "piped" to any tv in the house ;)

That totally defeats the purpose of the device. It's effectively going to prevent me from playing GFWL, Yuplay, Origin or any other game that is not on Steam.

That doesn't seem like a very interesting solution.

You're writing about competing dd platforms, as if they are the obstacle, while the games that run on those services are ALREADY running on Linux (they are not).

So if you accept that eventually a lot of games will be written for Linux, what stops Origin and Uplay getting a Linux port?

My point is the problem is who will start making Linux compatible games, not what will happen with the other services.

If we get to the point where hundreds of games are written for Linux then the other services (that aren't called GFWL) will probably get Linux ports anyway, because why the hell not?

deadlast

OK at first I was like what a piece of poo. Then I watched that video and they said upgradable console. I threw my hands up and said you have done it again steam.... Looks like PC gaming is about to dominate my household again.

TheExodu5

Banned
Just as a heads up, their base pricing on the kickstarter was $499 for a 1.8GHz Dual-Core system (sounds like Atom or Fusion to me) with 16GB of SSD storage and a Linux OS. I don't think this thing will make any waves with that kind of pricing.

Zia

Don't forget no Minecraft.

7. The Kicker: Similar to the Nvidia Shield, this unit will be primarily targeted as a "streambox" for Steam Games running on a windows PC. The quality of the stream will be dependent on the power of the PC and the bandwidth available in the house. The more powerful those components are, the closer to 1:1 streaming that you will get. Get those comfy couches ready for your games to be "piped" to any tv in the house ;)

Hm... Bingo? They've been testing that.

http://store.steampowered.com/bigpicture/setup

YOUR EXISTING DESKTOP COMPUTER!

There are some really interesting solutions on the market that allow you to use your TV as a secondary monitor for your desktop PC - without even having to move it from the desk. The most interesting solutions are wireless. This kind of technology is still evolving, but solid products have already been on the market for a year or two.

We have had good luck with devices based on the technology from Amimon, when used within the same room. Whole-house solutions (which transmit through multiple walls) are beginning to appear on the market - if you have experience with one of those we’d like to hear about it. One industry standard is called WHDI, and there are several such devices available today.

syko de4d

You guys aren't getting it... This thing is the "steambox" and it's more than you think. This is what I believe they will do:

1. Price Point $399 or $449 w/ controller. One SKU

2. Linux-based, opens to Big Picture Mode

3. All linux games will work out of the box, obviously, but not many games there

4. At launch, there will be a small # of launch games, some timed-exclusive, but nothing too big.

5. Developers can port their current games and/or develop their multi-platform current and next gen games on steambox as well as 360/pc/ps3/wiiU/720/ps4.

6. More powerful than WiiU but less powerful than 720/PS4.

how could this launch for 400-450$??

The 499$ Version is way way to weak and the 999$ version is still only with 64gb SSD and 4gb Ram and no controller. This thing is to little for a normal HDD and for steam you need a Drive with at least 300gb and 300gb SSD alone cost sooo much....

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Don't forget no Minecraft.

I think this will be able to play software that doesn't come just from the steam store. It'll be an open OS...anyone will be able to write software to run on it and distribute it outside the steam store. If not, all their talk about windows and how it's becoming a closed garden wouldn't make sense.

EVIL

The 499$ Version is way way to weak and the 999$ version is still only with 64gb SSD and 4gb Ram and no controller. This thing is to little for a normal HDD and for steam you need a Drive with at least 300gb and 300gb SSD alone cost sooo much....

you are basing all facts on their kickstarter specs and pricepoint. put that out of your head and wait untill the announcement.

its doable to get the price around 399/499 and still get a next gen competing system. I mean if microsoft or sony can do it, why not valve? mass producing will solve allot of cost issues.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_

StreamBox.... not SteamBox =)

The key here is low power consumption and versatility... not necessarily power.

KingKong

I think this will be able to play software that doesn't come just from the steam store. It'll be an open OS...anyone will be able to write software to run on it and distribute it outside the steam store. If not, all their talk about windows and how it's becoming a closed garden wouldn't make sense.

It's always been hypocritical considering Steam is completely closed - you can't put games on Steam (only shortcuts that usually get deleted when Steam updates), they decide what's put on (so La Mulana, Real Texas, Primodia, have to go through greenlight bullshit to get on while crappy games get added), you don't own any of the games, and they can remove a game at any time (although you can still download it).

This has never been about open services or fighting Microsofts walled garden

i-Lo

On their kickstarter page, it's the Xi3 X5A that features quad core at 2.66Ghz and 4GB ram, where did you get that ram figure for the $999 version?

Top Bottom