• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve: Introducing Pipeline

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Just think, sometime in the future one of these kids will create a great indie game that will never be Greenlighted.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder why some of the PC screens were blurred out...

Hiring is particularly tricky for Valve, since their anarcho-syndicalist structure only thrives when employees are both self-driven and broadly talented. As such, their most successful hires tend to already be highly developed in their respective disciplines, allowing them to assess how to best leverage their abilities within the context of the company. The overwhelming majority of college students/graduates and run-of-the-mill gaming industry veterans wouldn't merit the slightest consideration, leaving Valve to chase after an inherently limited pool of exceptional people.

However, mentoring a group of young, highly self-motivated interns should be quite interesting, especially if there's robust experimentation with different teaching approaches. The ones that excel in Valve's unusual working culture will have their future educational trajectories influenced, and they could readily become vetted hires down the road.

CronoShot

kid-on-pc-gif.gif

6999.gif

Guevara

This just sounds like a distraction for everyone involved. I guess it would be a great internship while in college.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Sound design, shows someone playing music FML.. That's not sound design at all -.-

You're judging the entirety of his skillset based on a couple shots of him playing guitar?

Anyway, sounds like a great program. I hope it's a success for everyone involved.

I hate everone of these kids out of envy. Valve should have picked me! Because not only am I sure I already posess superior skills to these guys but I feel like they're stealing my job.

rObit

Banned
Yo you guys in this thread wanna make a game? I'm jealous of these kids. We should make a game.

As an aside, Gabe's looking pretty fabulous these days.

Orayn

I hate that Valve permanently reassigned the entire Half-Life 3 team to this just because they hate us and only love hats. Also Valve has never released a video game and will never release one.

...Obligatory stuff out of the way? Seems like a very cool initiative. I'd love to see what some young talent would do for the industry, and the sooner kids start the better. One of them could be the next Lord British or Toady One!

GAF is full of cynics. Some reflection time on mindsets is needed for several posters here.

It's a positive idea and it's good to see Valve promoting a platform to involve younger people in the games industry and to share that knowledge rather than silo it.

Danj

I hate that Valve permanently reassigned the entire Half-Life 3 team to this just because they hate us and only love hats. Also Valve has never released a video game and will never release one.

You forgot cards. Cards are hats 2.0.

...Obligatory stuff out of the way? Seems like a very cool initiative. I'd love to see what some young talent would do for the industry, and the sooner kids start the better. One of them could be the next Lord British or Toady One!

We have some courses starting next academic year (September) at my workplace which include games design/development units, so I'm going to pass this website on to the Computing department in case they're interested.

Well hey, good for them. This certainly sounds interesting. It would be great for other industries to make such efforts. Would yield more results than the current system of solely learning how to take tests I think.

Twinduct

" Hi this is Gabe Newell. I wanted to have our project lead introduce Half-Life 3. Sadly he's currently grounded. "

Awesome idea though. Wish I was young again.

Five

Banned
I don't see the harm in them giving this a shot, so I'm interested to watch where it goes.

From what I gathered, although it's aimed at teenagers, there could still be valid advice and material for 20-somethings and the like as well. Not for hire, granted, but with the forums and media they put out.

I dig online universities and schooling in general, so if this is something along those lines, I'm intrigued.

Top Bottom