• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve: Left 4 Dead 3 Is 'Absolutely' Not Currently in the Works

Mista

Banned
Z3Zs1L1ae0kZb8JXK90m8yHmRGVws9xJJdcRRKBm.jpeg

In a statement to IGN, Valve has denied any development on a new Left 4 Dead title, such as Left 4 Dead 3, calling the rumors on such a project “misinformation.”

Valve:
We’ve seen rumors to this effect for the last couple of months. We did briefly explore some Left 4 Dead next gen opportunities a few years ago. But we are absolutely not working on anything L4D related now, and haven’t for years. It’s clear some people are having fun creating misinformation to spin up the community and other outlets. Unfortunately, for now a new L4D game is not something we’re working on

The statement follows an uptick in rumors regarding Left 4Dead 3 thanks to reports from YouTube channels like Valve News Network claiming to have leaked Left 4 Dead 3 screenshots. Furthermore, An HTC representative from China published a recent talk they gave on VR that included a mention of “L4D3.”

However, according to Valve, while there were some explorations into a next-gen Left 4 Dead title in the past, a new game in the zombie series is not currently in active development.

Joyful

Tyler called out damn

I imagine valve is saying this because the absorbed Campo Santo devs slight grumbling when they were forced to work on hl:a and not in the valley of the gods

DW74

I'm really getting tired of this company.

I used to be one of the Gaben Faithful. But anymore, I think he has lost the passion for the industry. They are just the Steam company now. A company that doesn't give a rat's ass about what their customers want.

Kinda like some others.

Valve is the house that HL built, Gabe! The story deserves a finale!

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
“We currently understand the whole world and their dog wants a new half life, and we know that there is a massive calling for a new left 4 dead. These are both massive games with huge cult followings that sold many, many millions of copies and would make bank.

However we won’t make them so fuck off.”

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Someone needs to straight up copy the L4D formula then, World War Z didn't really scratch that itch for me.
Turtle Rock (original devs) are making their own L4D3, called Back 4 Blood.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
What is with Valve and counting to 3? Are they legit superstitious or what?

I used to think it was a cute little meme or whatever but,
TF2
HL2
Portal 2
L4D2

Last edited:

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Spinoff like Alyx probably. There's too much pressure on them to make a sequel and live up to the unrealistic hype.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Spinoff like Alyx probably. There's too much pressure on them to make a sequel and live up to the unrealistic hype.
They don't name L4D3 in the quote, just any L4D IP game in general categorically not being worked on. It's right in the OP (and all the other threads about this)...
Valve isn't going to do anything with the IP, they should just sell it off.
What's stopping anyone from doing such a game without Valve selling the IP? Plenty have tried, Turtle Rock is trying with Back 4 Blood. Hardly any lore or whatever to care about continuing the same characters and plot and stuff (2 initially had all new characters anyway, 3 could too).

Last edited:
What a sorry excuse for a company. While other organizations like CD Project Red are pushing the envelope, Valve is afraid to work on their own IPs. In my mind they are worse then EA, Bethesda, etc. At least those companies are trying to do something. Value just sits on their fat asses collecting royalties from Steam.

Last edited:

420bits

Valve stopped making games ages ago, and why would they?
They are making bank on upholding a platform / E-items with waaaay less effort than creating games.

Their AAA VR-games will be a techdemo disguised as a games to push their headsets. I'm not saying the tech or the games will be bad but I'm sure the games will leave you with a small piece of story and a ton of sandboxy-create-your-own-content.

Top Bottom