• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's Linux and OpenGL efforts troubled Microsoft.

Kathian

Banned
What exactly have MS done to meet what Valve were complaining about? Windows 10 is just a good OS. They are pushing their store just as strong as ever.

This seems like bubble thought.

Crayon

I was almost tempted to make the switch over the holidays.

I booted up my Win10 machine and the bloody thing took 5 minutes to start after an update, once it had it started, it spawned a background process to run another installer for an update!

You don't need to switch to show support. You can be vocal online, have a dual boot to play Linux games, or even just a Linux VM to do your steam shopping on. It's a rare gamer who cares enough about the future to do these things so everyone counts at this stage.

It's kind of a shame that Valve's SteamOS/Steambox initiative seems to have failed, as Windows is the big sticking point with me and PC Gaming.

If I build a PC, I want to built it to play games only. SteamOS being an operating system tuned just for doing that sounded amazing, but alas it looks like that dream is more or less dead.

Which is a fucking shame, because it leaves relatively light games like Team Fortress 2 nigh unplayable on even modern Mac hardware.

Despite the incredible vitriol from the PC gaming community and the press, it's actually coming along well. Rumors of death are greatly exaggerated. Just look for the steam os logo next to games listed on steam. You will notice that it's more common all the time.

Steam machines where never supposed to storm out of the gate and destroy consoles or windows, but many chose to believe that anyway.

EmiPrime

No, Apple created their own graphics API called "Metal" and basically left their OpenGL support to rot. Since Apple makes the GPU drivers for OSX themselves, they have total control over what and what isn't supported.

So, that makes three Mantle-like APIs: Metal, DX12 and Vulkan.

Of course, people already began working on Vulkan-Metal wrappers, so you can re-use the Vulkan code on OSX, but using Metal under the hood.

I have Nvidia's own drivers installed on my Mac (as well as their CUDA driver for that matter) instead of Apple's. Is this a way of getting Vulkan support onto the Mac? Technically speaking of course; I appreciate that barely anyone seeks out non-stock graphics drivers on OS X so developers can't really target that.

Compsiox

Banned
They've been behind it from it's inception. Whenever Valve get round to releasing more content via Source 2 (seemingly this year), you can expect Vulkan to be a large part of it as they said along with the engines announcement.

I wish they would just release Source 2 already. When they do a lot is going to change on Steam and we'll probably get some games from Valve.

It's a neat little blog post, but wasn't this obvious? (And obviously the point in the first place, as he infers.) It was always a hedge to push MS in the direction Valve wanted.

Intel has dropped out from supporting Vulkan. With one of the big three graphics vendors – no matter what you may think about integrated graphics – not supporting it on Windows it's going to have a tough road.

Vulkan Support for Intel GPU's are still there, but only the open source driver team is working on it's implementation. But I don't think the closed source driver team os doing anything with Vulkan at this point. I honestly think that Intel are just going to let the open source team pick up the slack on this. But there are also the MESA drivers that support Vulkan as well, which are generally used a lot for intel integrated GPU's on the Linux platform.

It's kind of a shame that Valve's SteamOS/Steambox initiative seems to have failed, as Windows is the big sticking point with me and PC Gaming.

If I build a PC, I want to built it to play games only. SteamOS being an operating system tuned just for doing that sounded amazing, but alas it looks like that dream is more or less dead.

I don't think the dream is dead, it's just way into the future. Steam Machines were a mess, not at all ready for prime time but it is possible that Microsoft's moves forced Valve's hand and Gabe and co had to make their move earlier than they intended to.

Show me an actual download. Because this is what they're saying in their forums:
They released a developer driver back in the summer and then went silent.

Hmm that is interesting... this might not bode well for Windows users... Are the open source drivers available for Windows? Because I do know that the open source team has not gone silent and are still active.

1156404.gif

Just needs a gabe head over homer

Top Bottom