• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vampire Survivors (Steam)- Possibly the Best $3 you could ever spend

Fools idol

Banned
yeah. It's good shit. The soundtrack is also really fucking good if not a bit repetitive, it puts you in the zone to keep playing.

no idea why but the game gives me weird nostalgia for 90s arcades even though it really has nothing to do with those times. Again probably the music.

VN1X

Banned
I love me some simple and silly roguelikes but this is absolute mindless trash. It's a meme game that went viral so unless you really have a strong case of FOMO, I wouldn't bother lol.

If you really want to give it a go you can play the free version in your browser here:

EDIT: Actually, calling it "mindless trash" is a bit harsh lol, I get that not every game needs to be the pinnacle of high brow entertainment or whatever so ya. It's not for me but I'm happy for those that enjoy this.

Last edited:

Billbofet

I love me some simple and silly roguelikes but this is absolute mindless trash. It's a meme game that went viral so unless you really have a strong case of FOMO, I wouldn't bother lol.

If you really want to give it a go you can play the free version in your browser here:

EDIT: Actually, calling it "mindless trash" is a bit harsh lol, I get that not every game needs to the pinnacle of high brow entertainment or whatever so ya. It's not for me but I'm happy for those that enjoy this.
Good edit. I agree it's somewhat mindless, but I find it perfect for a brief session. I thought more on it, and it's like Geometry War had a baby with Rogue Legacy.
It also reminds me of a game called Nimble Quest that I used to play at work while I was taking shits.

Holammer

yeah. It's good shit. The soundtrack is also really fucking good if not a bit repetitive, it puts you in the zone to keep playing.

no idea why but the game gives me weird nostalgia for 90s arcades even though it really has nothing to do with those times. Again probably the music.
The music slaps when you open a chest.

cat-vibing-vibing-cat.gif

stranno

I've been playing and Imelda is really easy, with the garlic and time powers. Until death shows up, of course. Is there any way to avoid that ending?

Edit: According to Steam forums it cannot be killed yet without cheats.

Last edited:

Vaelka

Imma buy it because it does look like fun.

Not gonna lie tho my first impression was '' wtf is this clusterfuck? ''.
It's hard to kinda figure what's going on on screen when you first see it lol.

stranno

Garlic 🧄 is key for my strategy so far
For some reason, one guide of Steam does not recommend it, but for me it is almost a game-breaking weapon, especially in the Mad Forest. The evolved fire (meteors) is pretty crazy as well. And the stop-time rays also come handy.

I mean, everything is useful. Except the defense/life powerups. It doesn't matter if you get them, if you are trapped without good weapons, you are pretty much dead anyways.

daveonezero

Banned
For some reason, one guide of Steam does not recommend it, but for me it is almost a game-breaking weapon, especially in the Mad Forest. The evolved fire (meteors) is pretty crazy as well. And the stop-time rays also come handy.

I mean, everything is useful. Except the defense/life powerups. It doesn't matter if you get them, if you are trapped without good weapons, you are pretty much dead anyways.
They become useful because of the evolutions. Garlic and health and heart and whip.

This game is fun. I love it and a testemat that fun can be in something simple and not cutring edge.

Very well done and can’t wait to see what the developer Ads in. Lots of directions the y could go.

Gp1

my strategy?

Every single evolved area dmg item plus both bomber birds.

You can just stand there and nothing will touch you. Not even on the new map in hyper mode
2I1yGxd.jpg

Last edited:

Billbofet

my strategy?

Every single evolved area dmg item plus both bomber birds.

You can just stand there and nothing will touch you. Not even on the new map in hyper mode
2I1yGxd.jpg
So the birds are worth a damn? I haven't gotten that good yet. My best time is like 12 minutes. Guess I'll have to keep playing

Life is somewhat useless, but defense is really not. If you get trapped with full armor, you can occasionally just force your way out - you just need to pick the right direction.
And extra life and life regen powerups are needed to evolve weapons (also the projectile speed bracer, the AoE candelabra, and the exp crown). The more useful powerups are also used to evolve weapons, but it's neat that there's still a purpose for the "suboptimal" ones.

MiguelItUp

Such a solid game for $3 TBH. I didn't think I'd enjoy something like this much as I do, but here we are! It's a fun chill game to play.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Mac build?
This seems like the perfect game to play on my 3000 euro macbook pro 🤣

Fuck it patch stated mac build are being tested. I love supporting small dev teams

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Currently playing the crap out of this every night.

My mission tonight:

Pvv9XNY.png

Get this to work with steam, then recline one of the chairs and pick up blue gems all night long....

Reactions: Gp1

Billbofet

I just had a 16:30 run in the library level. My son and I were screaming the entire time once I was above level 35. So fun.

Gp1

So the birds are worth a damn? I haven't gotten that good yet. My best time is like 12 minutes. Guess I'll have to keep playing

Until level 4-5 they are pretty weak.
After the upgrade, they become the best weapon in the game, can be upgrade to level 7 again, and opens you another weapon slot.

In general area DMG is very strong in this game so this build is basically:
Try get upgraded garlic from the 10 min mark (garlic and pomarola). Extra XP early on helps on that.

Upgrade your luck and try to get wand, both birds, bible axe and the respective combo (empty book helps a lot too).

Every time you get a chance to pick a combo match you do it. Them focus on upgrade the birds at every chance.

When you open the other slot, go for either the ice staff or Holy water (both op af and not upgradable so your defensive slot doesn't matter).

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
Until level 4-5 they are pretty weak.
After the upgrade, they become the best weapon in the game, can be upgrade to level 7 again, and opens you another weapon slot.

In general area DMG is very strong in this game so this build is basically:
Try get upgraded garlic from the 10 min mark (garlic and pomarola). Extra XP early on helps on that.

Upgrade your luck and try to get wand, both birds, bible axe and the respective combo (empty book helps a lot too).

Every time you get a chance to pick a combo match you do it. Them focus on upgrade the birds at every chance.

When you open the other slot, go for either the ice staff or Holy water (both op af and not upgradable so your defensive slot doesn't matter).
Wizard wand is upgradable. Or are you talking the freezing chrono thing

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
Did a run last night to unlock the 2 new characters. Picked the starter with magic wand. I think Hyper mode is definitely easier in some ways.

Quickly got garlic and stone mask. The upgraded pigeon, holy wand and the soul eater were pretty unstoppable. Also did armor and life and couldn’t really die if I tried.

Game is still fun. I like mixing and matching the weapons. I started out doing lots of knives which for me to 30 minutes the first few times. Now it can be all sorts of builds.

I think I have 10 hours or something. And almost all the meta upgrades.

Hinedorf

Banned
Game is addicting as fuck, been playing it all week. Unlocked all the characters and levels. The character progression makes it really fun but after a week I'm out of goals so I hope there's regular updates

Hinedorf

Banned
My longest run yet.

HQ9z1r6.png
Game ends at 30 minutes you were THAT CLOSE, all the more reason to jump back in and go again....I was so addicted to the challenge I didn't touch another game till I did.

Learning the balance of leveling/adding your weapons while maintaining the DPS output to stay safe is the true art of this game and when you become good you'll find yourself with the ability to stop moving at all and let your damage kill the waves around you

VN1X

Banned
Game ends at 30 minutes you were THAT CLOSE, all the more reason to jump back in and go again....I was so addicted to the challenge I didn't touch another game till I did.

Learning the balance of leveling/adding your weapons while maintaining the DPS output to stay safe is the true art of this game and when you become good you'll find yourself with the ability to stop moving at all and let your damage kill the waves around you
Just did it, at least I think I did?

Dracula (I assume that was him) just starts humping me at the 30 min mark and then the game ends? 😅

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Jesus Christ you people weren’t kidding. Finally bought this last night and I am hopelessly addicted already. I see XP crystals when I close my eyes.

BTW runs flawlessly on my water cooled 3080 Ti/Ryzen 5800X

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I had my laurel so high and cool down so low that I survived death for 1 min and 32 seconds. Without that item I die to death within 10 seconds everytime lol. I've had a blast with this game. $3 well spent.

Vindicator

When the Reaper appears, your fully upgraded Pentagram kicks in the exact moment and you die nonetheless...

Last edited:
Top Bottom