• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver sees significant tourism boost around World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.theprovince.com/touch/story.html?id=11189301

Weeks of international soccer madness across Canada will come to a climax Sunday as Team U.S.A. and Team Japan duke it out at B.C. Place in the FIFA Women’s World Cup final.

But whoever lifts the trophy, it appears it’s Vancouver’s tourism industry, residents and soccer-hungry visitors who have been the true winners.

Among those working hardest in the final hours leading up to Sunday’s game, which kicks off at 4 p.m., is Kingsley Bailey of local ticket reseller Vancouver Tickets.

Bailey said despite Team Canada’s absence from the final, prices and the demand remained high for the remaining seats, with tickets priced between $400 to $1,500 a pop through his resale service.

Tickets on StubHub were also available for the final as of Saturday, with upper end line tickets beginning at $250 and lower sideline tickets in the $2,000-$5,000 range.

“We’re fielding calls from all over,” said Bailey, who has been taking calls mostly from American fans.

He had even planned to make a quick jaunt south of the border to stock up on U.S. flags to distribute to customers purchasing tickets.

“They want to be here. They are soccer aficionados and they want to see the soccer,” he said.

Bailey said Sunday’s matchup is a particularly hot ticket due to the massive markets and fan base behind each team.

Ty Speer, president and CEO of Tourism Vancouver, noted Vancouver has “a long history of great tourism support” from both the U.S. and Japan, making Sunday’s game a more than ideal scenario for the local economy.

“I suppose with the very small exception of the home team being in the final, it’s probably as good of a storyline as we could’ve got,” Speer said.

While a Team Canada final may have brought in a bigger domestic audience, Speer said the continued demand for hotels, tickets and other attractions shows “people still want to come to Vancouver,” including Canadians who are just happy to be part of the experience.

“It’s a special place to visit, whether you’re coming from inside of Canada or outside of Canada.”

Tourism Vancouver hadn’t yet compiled numbers for June and July, but Speer said there had been a consistent boost to business — on top of the usual summer traffic — all through the last month-and-a-half due to Vancouver being a Women’s World Cup host city.

“There’s no question that our hotels have had extraordinary high occupancy,” he said.

“All of the indicators are that June and leading into July are showing that the destination’s been doing extremely well and businesses are benefiting right across the spectrum.”

In addition to those in town to cheer on their team, the World Cup has also brought a number of visiting media, team and tournament staff to the city.

David Neal, an executive producer of Women’s World Cup coverage for Fox Sports, said he and his team would be sad to see the channel’s broadcast centre being dismantled at Jack Poole Plaza at the conclusion of the tournament.

Neal, who had previously worked in Vancouver during the 2010 Winter Olympics, called the last month in Vancouver working on the World Cup “the most enjoyable professional experience” of his career.

“Just this morning, a number of colleagues and I talked about the fact that we’re melancholy about the end of the event,” Neal said Friday.

“We recognize that it’s usually not this great: this great of a location, this wonderful of people we’ve had here. We’ve truly felt like we were welcomed guests here.

“We’re all looking forward to going home, of course, but this has been a very fond place to come to work everyday for a month.”

Neal is likely not the only one who has fallen in love with Vancouver while in town for the World Cup.

Lindsay Meredith, a marketing strategist and macroeconomics professor at SFU, said the FIFA Women’s World Cup has “done a more effective job than the Olympics” of marketing the city to tourists.

“Arguably, we got good bang for our buck,” he said, noting the World Cup cost less to organize and host, but still brought a comparable boost to the local economy.

In addition to the dollars going into local businesses — the city had expected a $36.7 million boost — Meredith also suggested the Women’s World Cup may have better social benefits.

“It’s one thing to show a bunch of hockey players, who are male, and soccer players, who are male, beating around the bush — but hey, females constitute half the population. Why the hell are we not promoting a lot more of that sporting venue?

“That’s what’s going to get young girls out there, emulating these players,” he said.

This is great for the city. My uncle's family just moves there and keeps sending me great pictures that make me wish I lived there. And I'm happy the young girls and soccer fans are seeing some great athletes first hand.

Harusame

Glad to see tourism in Vancouver is doing well. With the Women's FIFA, the 2010 Winter Olympics and Ted Talks being held here, I can't wait to see what other events may come and occur. Even though the recent Translink referendum didn't pass, hopefully with the continued growth in population, tourism and overall general interest, Vancouver will continue to grow as a known city around the globe.

shouldn't be a surprise.

Vancouver is a fuck awesome city, absolutely gorj this time of the year and is an hour drive from the US border. Plus, it's always been a popular tourist destination with the japanese.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom