• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vanquish E3 demo hands on + new pics

C-Jo

TTP said:
No, no, I was "implying" (joking, mind) that the PS3 version might end up being the inferior one since 360 version is what's been shown at E3 going by those vids.
I'm too tired for jokes like that. :lol

Pooya

Interview
PlatinumGames' last game, Bayonetta was a very successful action title. Are you consciously taking notes from what Bayonetta did well to help make Vanquish a better game?

Inaba: We learned a lot from Bayonetta in regards to covering the differences between platforms. Furthermore, many of the members of the Bayonetta team joined the Vanquish team after development was completed, so their know-how when it comes to games in general, and action games in particular, is also reflected in the project.

A lot of gamers see Vanquish as the spiritual successor to Resident Evil 4 because of the Mikami connection. Is the team consciously looking to top that game?

Mikami We didn't really go back and reference Resident Evil 4; however, there are a few staff members from that project on the Vanquish team, so I suppose you could say that some of the "essence" of that game has carried over into this one.

Because Vanquish is a third-person shooter that uses cover, there have naturally been a lot of parallels made with Gears of War. Do you think those comparisons are fair?

Sure, I think there are some parallels between the two games.

Most action games today are slow and immersive whereas Vanquish is fast and visceral. Why have you decided to buck the trend?

There are plenty of slow, immersive games on the market already, so I was motivated to try and make something in the opposite direction.

You've said you're developing on PS3 first because your team "know less" about making games for the platform. How have you found it so far?

I think that making the PS3 the lead platform during development was a success for us. At the start, we didn't have PS3 production experience, so I think that this was really the only choice we had.

Gears of War 3, Lost Planet 2 and Max Payne 3 will all be released in the next 12 months. Why should gamers look forward to your game ahead of the competition?

As Vanquish is an original title, trying to compare it to sequels in already established brands is problematic. However, I sincerely hope that Vanquish becomes a game that is able to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with those titles.

Japanese action games are getting more popular; whereas Japanese RPGs are getting less popular. Why do you think this is?

I think it is because Japanese RPGs were really never all that popular in the west to begin with. I think the best way of interpreting things is that they aren't getting less popular; they weren't very popular from the start.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Jigsaw said:
please dont suck ps3 version please dont suck
It's worth mentioning that the version I played on the floor was the PS3 version. It looked good, and appeared to be running at a full 60fps.

BeeDog

SapientWolf said:
It's worth mentioning that the version I played on the floor was the PS3 version. It looked good, and appeared to be running at a full 60fps.

Great to hear that it appears to be playable. This game's one of the better reveals lately, so hyped.

Bayonetta is my current GOTY so I am hopefull for this. Screens look fantastic and the gameplay looks fast. The vids in the op are pretty boring though. While that may be mainly due to the player not playing very well, it also seems like there is very little going on with that boss.

The up close melee stuff does look very cool and I hope that the melee combat is deep and borrows combos, counters and dodges from Bayonetta.

Gunplay looks satisfying and 60fps puts everything else to shame. Looking forward to more info and media.

The first official trailer of the game is up on the Live Marketplace now. It's the one most of us have already seen online but if you want to watch it on your big screen, go ahead and download it.

Gavarms

New info:
Source: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/06/17/mikami_discusses_vanquish/

Weapons
The director introduced the game's weapon change mechanic, where main character Sam equips three weapons which the player can switch off between on the fly using up, right and left on the d-pad.

Vanquish will have a growth element for your weapons. When your weapon is in a full ammo state, collecting additional ammo will gradually increase the weapon's rank.

Bullet Time
Mikami also demonstrated AR Mode, which is Vanquish's take on bullet time. This mode is easily triggered, but you have to be careful about using it too much, as Sam's ARS suit will overheat and you'll be prevented from using your Boost for a time.

NPC's
The other new system involves the combatants who fight alongside you. When they're injured and about to die, they'll request your help. If you help them, they'll give you weapons in return.

Influences
Mikami was asked if he consulted any titles while creating Vanquish. Responded Mikami, "Of late, most of the games I personally like are foreign, so if asked what I referred to, it would be the Gears of War and Call of Duty series. Also, the "Neo Human Casshern" anime."

Multiplayer
"In addition to our not having knowhow in multiplayer, we also cut online in order to make a game of higher quality. If we'd tried to do both, they both would have probably ended up being half-hearted."

..."We're making something that's specialized in single player play, so making it into multiplayer might be extremely difficult. The character animation, hit detection, and other areas would all fail, to the point that if adding multiplayer it would probably be faster to start from scratch."

Quicktime
Mikami referred to this as "QT System." The original plan, he revealed, called for having a large number of these sequences. In the end, they used the system sparingly. It's like a bonus, or actually a bonus for a bonus.

Positional Damage
Enemies mid sized and up will allow for positional damage. Based off where you cause the damage, you can earn higher score. However, warned Mikami, most of the mid-sized enemies are dangerous, so if you pay too much attention to getting high score, you'll probably end up dying. "You won't have time to look at score while you play," he said.

...you can get a bonus by performing head shot

Difficulty
Vanquish has easy, normal, hard and god hard difficulty modes.

Easy mode gives you an aim assist known as "Easy Automa."While many shooters have an aiming assist feature, Famitsu noted in its write-up that Vanquish's implementation is very helpful, allowing you to simply shoot to continually take out the enemies in the area of your general sight.

However, midway through development, they came to realize that the difficulty was too high, so they decided to add the easy mode.

They also made normal mode considerably easier than they'd originally planned at the start of the game's developments.

Playtime
Mikami said to expect a play time of around 7 hours. Adding in demo scenes and other non gameplay areas, and the game becomes a 10 hour experience.

Smoking
Sam can be made to smoke a cigarette during combat. You can make him smoke up to three cigarettes per stage. The cigarettes do have an effect on the game, as enemy robots will react to the flame when you toss the cigarette and will come at you in attack "When actually playing the game, I don't think you'll have time to smoke a cigarette," said Mikami.

Ashkeloth

Gavarms said:
New info:

See, this here is why Platinum is probably one of my favourite studios.

Just straight up saying that they realised their game would suffer from multiplayer so they cut it, and also the fact they say that the game will be seven hours long, with 3 hours of you watching cutscenes.

How many other developers would make the mistake of trying to split their workforce between multi and single player, and how many other developers would just say "the game is 10 hours long", not differentiating between gameplay and cutscene?

If this is anything like Bayonetta, which is still my current GOTY, I'll be picking this up day 1

Feindflug

SapientWolf said:

Did you see the 360 version? if yes did it looked and run as good as the PS3 version? There's a chance to finally have both versions equally good mainly because Platinum is responsible for both version. :)

BTW I didn't expect the game to run at 60fps - looked like 30fps with moton-blur in the vids...and yes we need a demo for this now on Live and PSN.

Pug

Regarding the lead SKU. There was abig 6 page spread in EDGE a couple of months ago and the lead SKU was mentioned in this. EDGE commented that all you really need to know is that this game is running on the Bayonetta engine.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
aside from Portal 2, this is my most anticipated game.

the 7-10 hour length is decent, but I kind of miss the epic 20 hours of non-stop awesome RE4 gave. it's a shame that we might not see many games like that anymore, what with the current shorter trend, what with Valve making episodic games, JRPGs being mostly uninteresting and Mikami focusing on the shorter experience.

but on the flip-side, it's better this than the R* problem of dragging their games out for far too long.

love hearing that attitude toward multiplayer design. it's great that their studio has the power to dictate whether or not something like that will be included.

Mikami said to expect a play time of around 7 hours. Adding in demo scenes and other non gameplay areas, and the game becomes a 10 hour experience.

That is a really weird way of putting it. Who gives the game's playtime minus cutscenes? And three hours of cutscenes in a ten hour game is reaching MGS level; that doesn't seem right for this at all. Especially with the ridiculous cheese of all the cutscenes we've seen so far. RE4 had, like, one or two hour of cutscenes in a twenty hour game.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Ashkeloth said:
See, this here is why Platinum is probably one of my favourite studios.

Just straight up saying that they realised their game would suffer from multiplayer so they cut it, and also the fact they say that the game will be seven hours long, with 3 hours of you watching cutscenes.

How many other developers would make the mistake of trying to split their workforce between multi and single player, and how many other developers would just say "the game is 10 hours long", not differentiating between gameplay and cutscene?

If this is anything like Bayonetta, which is still my current GOTY, I'll be picking this up day 1
You said it, pal. Plus extra points for a Bang avatar *thumb up*.

Seriously October in both US and EU? That would be amazing... So little time to be hyped!
Would be a nice change from the norm if it's been developed with PS3 as the primary SKU.

Pug said:
Regarding the lead SKU. There was abig 6 page spread in EDGE a couple of months ago and the lead SKU was mentioned in this. EDGE commented that all you really need to know is that this game is running on the Bayonetta engine.

being the bayonetta engine doesn't mean it won't run just as well on the ps3. the problem with bayonetta was that platinum games didn't have ps3 dev kits and outsorced the port job to sega which did an awful job.
the game seems to be running the same at e3, on ps3 and 360.

edit: i will own this game day 1:D

remz

Rez said:

the 7-10 hour length is decent, but I kind of miss the epic 20 hours of non-stop awesome RE4 gave. it's a shame that we might not see many games like that anymore, what with the current shorter trend, what with Valve making episodic games, JRPGs being mostly uninteresting and Mikami focusing on the shorter experience.

but on the flip-side, it's better this than the R* problem of dragging their games out for far too long.

love hearing that attitude toward multiplayer design. it's great that their studio has the power to dictate whether or not something like that will be included.
If it has the kind of re-playability Re4 does.... I don't think the short length will be a problem. :p

me re4 runs usually only top out at like 11 hours or something anyway

Feindflug

Rez said:

Current shorter trend? the 7-10 hours length on Normal difficulty sounds just fine to me because we're talking about an over the top action-shooter with (I guess) a lot of replay value - I don't see how's that any different than ZoE2, P.N.03 and the first DMC for example.

As long as there are harder difficulties and the game plays just as awesome as it looks the game's length is just fine IMO. :p

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, it's not so much a complaint as it me getting all nostalgic for RE4.

eso76

What ?
I was already impressed by the visuals when i thought for sure this would be a 30fps game, and i already made claims it looked more impressive than, say, geow3.
But at 60 fps ??? well, fuck me.
And gameplay-wise it looks phenomenal.

JPKellams

Thanks for all the kind words about what we've shown at E3.

Just to clear something up...

Vanquish runs at 30fps. It is a blistering fast 30fps, but it is 30fps.

I think the fact that the gameplay video has many of you thinking it is 60fps shows how well we have succeed at making Vanquish one of the fastest games you will play this year.

Back to Osaka today, so enjoy the last day of e3 guys.

remz

PlatinumGamesJP said:

I think the fact that the gameplay video has many of you thinking it is 60fps shows how well we have succeed at making Vanquish one of the fastest games you will play this year.

Thanks for stopping by!

rock solid 30fps is better then shaky 60... IMO.

Pooya

PlatinumGamesJP said:

thanks for clarification. game looks insane regardless.

PlatinumGamesJP said:

Thank you for clearing that up, we appreciate the information.

Will the game be locked at 30? If so, will you be using any particular techniques to eliminate screen tearing?

Gavarms

PlatinumGamesJP said:

Thanks for clearing that up but i think you need to have a word with SEGA to tell them as well! :D

Also JP even though it is stated that there is 7 hours of gameplay what is the replay value! Are we talking Bayonetta levels?? What about DLC???

eso76

ahh, ok, thought 60fps was a bit too much

Also JP even though it is stated that there is 7 hours of gameplay what is the replay value! Are we talking Bayonetta levels?? What about DLC???

i don't think anyone said that, it's just that the events in the game happen in a 7 hours time span.

TreIII

Hah, and JP posts on GAF too. Awesome. :lol

Even more awesome is that this game looks so damn fun. Can't wait. If the October date sticks, it'll be a perfect B-day present to myself! :D

Top Bottom