• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vanquish remaster IS HAPPENING

bilderberg

images

"I refuse to git gud at the game but I'll still sperg about it". I do take issue with the walking bits points, it's true that Platinum games occasionally feature walking sections. That's like 2% of the games, the other 98% is balls to the wall legendary gameplay that western devs wish they could come up with.
Please... you shouldn't be allowed to use the "git gud" meme with Vanqusih.

This game is strange for me. My first time through at launch was a slog of an experience. Then I played it again a few years later, everything seemed to click and I realized it was the greatest thing ever, but for some reason my last attempt at a play through about a year ago ended in me being disappointed again.

bilderberg

Man you said it yourself you don't want to chase the high score. If you refuse to play well a game that's only fun when you play well, what kind of advice could I offer you?
chasing a high score
playing the game well

i think if i get through the game pretty easily i'm playing it well enough. I turn the score off in the hud because i just don't even want to have it taking up screen space.

Well I already have this on PS3/360 and picked up the PC ver when that came out as well so...yeah I'm buying this fucking game again. =P

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Another action game where the fans will tell me i'm "playing it wrong" because i'm using cover. "want to do anything cool?" Put your self in imminent danger 100% of the time by sliding around in the open, boosting off enemies, and draining all your suit's energy; when in actuality the most optimal strategy is really just to cower behind cover and play it like any other cover based tps. A tps with terrible gunplay and bullet sponge enemies that don't react to anything. This isn't Binary Domain where every robot breaks down into a hundred pieces and has various combat states like being injured or crawling, it's not like Max Payne 3 which has amazing physics and satisfying hit reactions; no instead you get a health bar above enemies heads because otherwise there's no way to tell you're doing anything. "BUT YOU WONT GET THE HIGH SCORE"...WHO THE HELL CARES? And all the meme qte's i'm sick of seeing at this point. Everyone hates qte's except when platinum litter their games with em because "wow it's so cool how he's punching the head off a robot" no it isn't cool..it just isn't cool; and neither is the "cool guy" protagonist whose just so fucking ironically cool because "the game is supposed to be like that you don't get it".

And the forced walking sections. Because 15 minutes of total play time in a 4 hour game being dedicated to slowly walking totally isn't shit. I mean it is when all those western devs do it, but not Platinum..no no not them.

I have to agree. RPGs that pretend to be shooters are the worst. Give me a game where every kill feels like I earned it and not because of my level.

Games like Doom 2016 or Dying Light or hell even Call of Duty campaigns feel more skill based than platinum’s stuff.

I have yet to play a platinum game I thought was enjoyable. And it’s all down to their idea of what they think game mechanics should be.

chasing a high score
playing the game well

i think if i get through the game pretty easily i'm playing it well enough. I turn the score off in the hud because i just don't even want to have it taking up screen space.

Mastering the game is where the true fun lies, not just beating it. I'm going to give it a rest because you did mention Max Payne 3 as a great game so that's great taste right there and that is the only TPS I can think of that rivals Vanquish.

Vanquish? The FPS Slip and Slide game with yet another smoking protagonist getting a HD facelift?

Yeah, I'm down with this.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Apparently not a good one or you would've bought the PC version.
Weak. I really don't want Bayonetta again.

Mastering the game is where the true fun lies, not just beating it. I'm going to give it a rest because you did mention Max Payne 3 as a great game so that's great taste right there and that is the only TPS I can think of that rivals Vanquish.
Resident Evil 6 is 2nd place behind Vanquish.

Last edited:
I remember this during the 360 days. It looked like a game where you have to snort 10 lines of coke and inject speed before being able to play it or be a huge spergy ADHD riddled teenager

I passed then and i'll pass now.

Griffon

I love Platinum but, frankly, Vanquish was overrated.

It wasn't that fun to revisit on PC. Most weapons and enemies feel very bland, kinda put me to sleep.

Last edited:

Vorg

Banned
Probably just a port of the PC version...

You're saying this like it's a bad thing. The pc version is amazing. Playing this game at 60 fps is a fucking revelation. There's nothing even comparable when it comes to 3rd person shooters.

evanft

images

"I refuse to git gud at the game but I'll still sperg about it". I do take issue with the walking bits points, it's true that Platinum games occasionally feature walking sections. That's like 2% of the games, the other 98% is balls to the wall legendary gameplay that western devs wish they could come up with.

This dude looks like the type to give money to titty streamers on twitch.

Keihart

Another action game where the fans will tell me i'm "playing it wrong" because i'm using cover. "want to do anything cool?" Put your self in imminent danger 100% of the time by sliding around in the open, boosting off enemies, and draining all your suit's energy; when in actuality the most optimal strategy is really just to cower behind cover and play it like any other cover based tps. A tps with terrible gunplay and bullet sponge enemies that don't react to anything. This isn't Binary Domain where every robot breaks down into a hundred pieces and has various combat states like being injured or crawling, it's not like Max Payne 3 which has amazing physics and satisfying hit reactions; no instead you get a health bar above enemies heads because otherwise there's no way to tell you're doing anything. "BUT YOU WONT GET THE HIGH SCORE"...WHO THE HELL CARES? And all the meme qte's i'm sick of seeing at this point. Everyone hates qte's except when platinum litter their games with em because "wow it's so cool how he's punching the head off a robot" no it isn't cool..it just isn't cool; and neither is the "cool guy" protagonist whose just so fucking ironically cool because "the game is supposed to be like that you don't get it".

And the forced walking sections. Because 15 minutes of total play time in a 4 hour game being dedicated to slowly walking totally isn't shit. I mean it is when all those western devs do it, but not Platinum..no no not them.
hahahaha, the game has fucking time trials and you dare to say that it's more optimal to stay behind cover

Shifty

Good good. Vanquish is up there with RE6 as the gold standard of TPS gameplay. Can we get a sequel yet?

And lol, bilderberg bilderberg drops into another thread about a high-skill action game only to immediately out himself as a scrub. Again. 🤭

Last edited:

SALMORE

Nice ! one of my Top 10 PS3 games , i hope they make a new cover art for the game .. not that the original is bad or anything

DonF

Is this Pasta?

It was an indeed great game, but comeon, what we need is a sequel, not a remaster!

I would prefer a sequel or a remake instead of a remaster

Maybe they are gauging interest in a sequel by re-releasing this title.

Played this on the X360 and loved it despite being fairly mediocre at it. Played again on PC years later and loved it again despite still being fairly mediocre at it. I am in the "hide and snipe" camp when it comes to FPS/TPS games so games like this and Doom that reward you for being a psycho really require me to change everything about how I play (hence being mediocre at them) but I had a blast the entire time.

It's typical of Platinum games to slap you in the face with their dick for playing like a pussy.

Top Bottom