• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Studios Flirt With Offering Movies Early in Home for $30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

Six of the seven biggest Hollywood studios are continuing to push to offer movies in the home mere weeks after their theatrical debuts.

Initially, Warner Bros. CEO Kevin Tsujihara had kicked off negotiations with exhibitors by offering to cut them in on a percentage of digital revenues if they agreed to let them debut films on-demand for $50 a rental some 17 days after they opened.

Other studios, particularly Fox and Universal, felt that $50 was too steep a price to ask consumers to pay

Fox and Warner Bros., for instance, are considering making films available between 30 to 45 days after their opening, but at $30 a rental, a price they believe won’t give customers sticker shock

Then there’s the issue of shifting consumer tastes. Younger consumers, used to streaming services such as Netflix, are accustomed to being able to access content whenever and on whichever device they would like

ome studios, for instance, are weighing a scenario where movies could be made available for rental at a higher price as soon as they dip below a certain number of screens.

No deal is imminent. Theater owners are engaged in the talks, and they’ve spent million of dollars researching consumer behavior.

More at the source: http://variety.com/2017/film/news/studios-premium-vod-early-1202013205/

Tagyhag

Fox and Warner Bros., for instance, are considering making films available between 30 to 45 days after their opening, but at $30 a rental, a price they believe won’t give customers sticker shock

Honestly, considering the ticket prices here in LA, that's not a bad deal if you watch with a group, but 30 to 45 days after is way too long.

Dabanton

With the sizes of TVs now and if you and some buddies got together and treated this like PPV I could see it.

A lot of my friends no longer get any time to go to the cinema, due to work, having kids and just generally not liking the experience. This could work.

But not at 30-40 days later.

sgjackson

30 bucks a week or two after means i barely set foot in theaters ever again but what's being offered is just short of tempting

idlewild_

$30 at 1-2 weeks later would be a decent deal. At 45 days I would probably just wait for the movie to come to redbox.

Slayven

Much more reasonable than other prices they been quoting. 30 bucks is cheap when you can have your own food and sit in your underwear

The Kree

Banned
This seems like a good idea for certain kinds of movies. I like seeing the big crowd pleasers with audiences on opening night, but smaller quieter films with friends willing to split the cost at home would be ideal for me.

ZeroX03

Banned
$30 split between like three friends is cheaper than the movies. Not bad.

I'd actually prefer $50 at release date and just have a slightly bigger group though.

shira

If they added this as a +$30/month Netflix option I would do it.

We got a medium bag of theater popcorn today and it was so damn salty and shitty midway through we couldn't eat it anymore

I needs my popcorn.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
For families 30 bucks is fucking a good ass deal to not have to worry about the kids. Sign me the fuck up.

tbm24

Honestly, I'd say for me as my wife to watch a movie at a theater we regularly spend more than $30. This is a steal as some movies I genuinely would rather watch at home than at a theater.

iavi

I'd probably watch a lot more movies if it involved watching at home. The fiancé and I are a perfect fit for this at $30

I went and saw Kong the other day at my local Cineplex and it cost me around $33 for two Tix. To be fair it was in the new Dolby theater which has the seat shaking sound and recliners with seat reservation but I live in nola and tickets are still cheap as hell here compared to other metro areas. So maybe $16-$20 for two tickets at a regular screen on a Monday. I think I'd pay $30 to watch in home but definitely not a month or more later. It's gonna have to be sooner than that

kswiston

For that price I want on demand access before it hits theaters.

No studio is going to go out of their way to ensure that people are streaming HD quality rips on their Android boxes before their film is even in theatres.

The $30 price is a month or so out, recognizing that crappy quality rips are available long before then. They will get some business, while pirates will continue to pirate.

Kuro

$30 is what I pay for 2 people and most movies I watch after they've been out for 30 days with certain stuff like Star Wars being the exception.

Ashhong

I don't know about you guys, but at least 50% of the reason I watch a movie in the theater is because I want that theater experience. I don't care how good your home system is, unless you live in a theater, I'm always going to prefer that giant screen and ridiculous sound.

They should do this. It would behoove them to. They were smart they already have music basically on lock by strangle holding music digital service providers, why not to say Netflix for example. Great idea, for venues to have group viewings at 50 dollars for a specific amount of people. That is a great deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom