• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: The Division getting a movie starring and produced by Jake Gyllenhaal

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This follows Michael Fassbender's Assassin's Creed and Tom Hardy's Splinter Cell.

Variety said:
Following record-breaking sales, Ubisoft is already developing a movie based on its video game “Tom Clancy’s the Division,” and now looks to have an A-list star to lead the film.

Sources tell Variety that Jake Gyllenhaal is attached to star in the pic based on the hit video game that has already become Ubisoft’s fastest-selling product.

Gyllenhaal is also attached as a producer, and the studio is currently looking for a writer to pen the adaptation. Ubisoft could not be reached for comment.
Source: http://variety.com/2016/film/news/jake-gyllenhaal-the-division-movie-1201742202/

strafer

Tom Hardy still attached to Splinter Cell? Holy fuck, amazing guy.

any other actor would have left a long time ago.

Still remember the teaser they had for the movie on the Chaos Theory DVD.

That was in 2007.

:D

That was in 2007.

or perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before sneaking out of a plane

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think the oddest part is that The Division is built like a ho-hum network television show crime serial as opposed to a film.

I'm guessing that's harder to get greenlit though than just signing an A-list actor by giving them producer oversight and then taking it to studios.

strafer

or perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before sneaking out of a plane

tumblr_mkpza1jtFO1qgcra2o1_500.gif

I think the oddest part is that The Division is built like a ho-hum network television show crime serial as opposed to a film.

I'm guessing that's harder to get greenlit though than just signing an A-list actor by giving them producer oversight and then taking it to studios.

Yeah I would maybe have gauged more interest as some kind of miniseries. Part of the game's... charm, for me anyway, narrative wise were those little Echo things with people's backstories before and during the whole viral outbreak.

and yet there is still no metal gear movie.......

There was supposed to be one at some point. But most game movies never actually happen. They're picked up and then enter a state of limbo for the rest of time. I mean, there was also sup[posed to be a Crazy Taxi movie.

blakep267

Unsaid it in the other thread but the initial set up and premise of the division was pretty interesting imo. Basically locked in a city fighting your way through. So id be interested in this

Whilst I loved the world and all the little side stories and memories I'm not sure how you make a movie out of it .

Especially since the division aren't deployed until after the outbreak has happened.

I suppose it could have you tracing back its origins etc .

Orca

I figured it for a movie that goes through agent activation, gathering a team, finding clues to what happened while encountering rioters/cleaners. They find the guy, but miss him in the movies mid-section shootout and chase, then spend the rest pursuing him while trying to assist recovery efforts leading to a finale chase/shootout where he gets away or is revealed to have been just part of a larger effort as the screen fades to black. Post credit scene shows a guy in his makeshift lab making more virus with a marked up map of Boston or Paris or something nearby.

RS4-

Now they can have all those minorities in the first 1/4 of the film; you know, the thieves, the thugs, the gangs.

White hollywood wins.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

That was in 2007.

Wasn't that 2005? I remember being stupidly excited for it for some weird reason.

Cartho

I can just see it now:

Jake standing over a workbench, sewing a backpack together made from scraps of material that he stole from a less well armed man in the street. After much lens flare and quick shots of the needle moving in and out of the thread, the backpack is complete. Jake swings it onto his shoulder without taking his other one off first. He vanishes and the film fades to black. The end.

Top Bottom