• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Veep - Season 5 |OT| - Julia Louis-Dreyfus - Continuity With Change - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Deadline: ‘Veep’ Season 5 Review
As President Meyer, her sycophantic staff of incompetents and potential VP Tom James (played by the very busy Hugh Laurie) face death, both political and actual, Veep proves it has lost none of its wonderful and meandering verve. At the same time, the series now shot in California has become all the more sharper, saucy and actually more stable – especially compared to a real-life election cycle that often seems like the inmates are on the verge of taking over not just the asylum but the nursing home next door.

- THR review
Credit new showrunner and executive producer David Mandel (Curb Your Enthusiasm, Seinfeld, Saturday Night Live) with not only taking on the daunting task of replacing Iannucci (technically, that was the easy part) but actually nailing it (there you go) in the four episodes HBO let critics see. Veep keeps up its same breakneck pace as Meyer moves constantly and riffs constantly and puts out fires — or makes other people put out fires or be engulfed by them, constantly — which makes the whole show feel ad-libbed when it's not, an act that pivots back to how great the writing is and how exceptionally nimble and talented the entire cast is.

I never really lost faith as the show's greatest asset is the casting. These players are absolutely amazing together and produce such fluid lunacy.

Peru

I never really lost faith as the show's greatest asset is the casting. These players are absolutely amazing together and produce such fluid lunacy.

Plus I went around thinking the creative team left entirely, but while it seems Blackwell and the Gibbons are gone, Chris Addison and Becky Martin are returning as episode directors and Will Smith and Georgia Pritchett return as writers.

linsivvi

It's still early but the Metacritcs ratings for season 5 is up from season 4. Every season it scored a high average than the previous. That's insane.

mclem

Veep renewed for S6 by HBO.

Off the back of initial screenings alone? That's a vote of confidence.

At the stage they're at, now, I would imagine each of them would have a pretty good idea of how their character would say something; given what we've heard about the directorial process, I'd be very surprised if that input wasn't also taken into account.

Cornballer/AVClub said:
But it’s as difficult as ever to find reasons to quibble with Veep. Under Mandel’s steady guidance, the show has pulled off a feat its bumbling characters couldn’t possibly accomplish: a seamless transfer of power between administrations.

That's some good praise. Can't wait. Funniest show on TV for me. Only Broad City and Bob's Burgers come close.

Season premiere tonight:
Morning After

On the night after the election, Selina discovers a possible road to victory. Meanwhile, Amy must figure out if she is back or not; Catherine kicks off a behind-the-scenes documentary project; Mike announces that he and Wendy (Kathy Najimy) are adopting a baby from China; and Dan considers a new career.

GNsDLbT.gif

Hamlet

Fantastic start to the season and still feels like pure Veep despite the change in showrunner. Everything about Jonah being demoted and becoming Richard's assistant was gold. Also lol at Bill getting screwed over yet again.

Hazmat

Richard having 2 doctorates and never having mentioned it was pretty damn funny. So glad to have Veep back!

Sai-kun

Banned
Selina's 'what?' when Ben mistakes her double for her had me howling. That shit was amazing. Also eek @ catherine being in the background when Ben was telling Eric to get out.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought the premiere was good. Glad to see the show still going strong in Iannucci's absence.

That 'perfect match secret agent' lady had me dying!

I didn't really get what was going on there. Why didn't Selina think she was a good match from behind?

Oreoleo

I didn't really get what was going on there. Why didn't Selina think she was a good match from behind?

Do you know what you look like from the back? I took it as her ego clashing with reality, "Fuck is that really what I look like?" She was looking for validation.

TTG

Sooooo, Amy proposed that Selina straight up announce that Tom James accepted the czar post -- when in fact he hadn't -- when she interrupted the meeting, that's why she got Nevada, right?

I thought the episode was very good, the only really noticeable change was less sniping. I like where Catherine's character going, her new filmmaker look and all. Amy's/Jonah's/Selina's flunky being promoted was great, Hugh Laurie is still awesome... everything is okay! The pimple was too much like last season's twitch, but that's ok.

I'm looking forward to this and really do like this show - I just wish it'd ever have the teeth The Thick of It had. Alas, I guess that's a lesser fit for US politics..

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
From that interview:

"When you get to the fourth episode you get a little insight into
Selina and her mother...
"

That should be interesting.

oh I bet that relationship is fucking toxic

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I thought the lack of Iannucci oversight was the death knell for the show, but that was a strong first episode. Glad to have it back.

eloestmn

Did anybody else see the crawl on CNN during Selinas press conference about the Toxic cosmetics? I thought that was a nice touch, especially since she refused to not were it to the Doctor.

0U45Y6B.jpg

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Great opener for the season, episode had me rolling. I missed this show.

Jb

Best compliment I can give is that I wouldn't have know the showrunner and writers had changed if I hadn't read about it beforehand, really good first episode. I felt terrible for laughing at the joke about sinkhole being the funniest kind of natural disaster.

It's a shame this show isn't more well known amongst average TV viewers. Everyone I've talked to hasn't seen it and only a few people have actually heard of it. It's honestly the best on television and has been for a while, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom