• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Veep - Season 5 |OT| - Julia Louis-Dreyfus - Continuity With Change - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empty

brutally angry selina was v funny but i thought the episode was a bit unfocused

curious to follow how this season's style diverges from the iannucci approach as it develops though after the first episode i'm reassured it will still be an entertaining watch

rtcn63

Richard having 2 doctorates and never having mentioned it was pretty damn funny. So glad to have Veep back!

It plays into the whole race thing- a black man with two doctorates is working for a schlub like Jonah, and spending his days getting less qualified people coffee.

TTG

It plays into the whole race thing- a black man with two doctorates is working for a schlub like Jonah, and spending his days getting less qualified people coffee.

No, the guy couldn't tie his own shoes in the previous seasons. There was not a hint of him being snubbed or ignored.

Empty

No, the guy couldn't tie his own shoes in the previous seasons. There was not a hint of him being snubbed or ignored.

yeah i read it as more of a ben carson type thing. one can have incredible qualifications and deep, specific knowledge in one area while still being a disastrous idiot in everything else.

mclem

"Go find a black person!"

"Oh, Richard. Thank God you're still here! Go get Sue."

I suspect there's also a slight nod towards Black Lives Matter, here, too, in that when the alarm sounded, security immediately targetted Sue - and only Sue - as she came through the door. Another layer to the all-white Symposium On Race.

Weckum

Great episode. Highlight was the 'does it count your missteps? You'd get there before breakfast' line.

The line towards Dan 'go win an election with a racist billionaire' was clearly a Trump jab, loved it.

So glad Veep is back.

mclem

How do you know you've really made it?

Z4lHace.png

New episode tonight:
Nev-AD-a

Amy, Dan, Jonah and Richard try to win the presidency for Selina; Selina meets a billionaire banker; Mike tries to get healthy before his baby arrives; Kent investigates Sue's age; Amy and Dan share a charged moment.

Oreoleo

Weird ep. Felt a little stagnant, expected more forward momentum with the re-count. Splett was the highlight for me, watching him rule the roost over Jonah when they were going door to door was great. And the bit about getting his dad's email address when he dies, my god!

John Slattery was a welcome addition though. Finally got around to finishing the final season of Mad Men just last week.

Empty

slattery & dreyfus is the hottest 50+ couple ever

fun episode. i thought it was unfocused like last weeks but i'm warming to the structure - the sad mad meandering limbo as they wait for the insanely huge result to slowly come out.

Did Amy know who she was texting? Seriously? She must have been drunk/horny

this was kinda a cheap joke + amy even at her most horny would not give dan the satisfaction of that many messages that can be thrown in her face later. dan ditching her for the insufferable sister for the slightest glimpse of furthering his career is perfect though.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
why is there not a dedicated youtube video of every moment of richard
even seeing the actor in interviews makes me laugh
5DKde2W.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Oh I thought she she said CVS, but when they started talking about jobs I just assumed I misheard cbs
that is hilarious

yeah I heard CVS too

the insults were flying, you have to watch the episode 2 or 3 times to catch them all. Also pretty sure the character thats the old school consultant that Ken and Ben worship has alzheimers

Ken trying to figure out how old Sue is was gold too. "did you see Godfather in the movie theater?"

Matt_

yeah I heard CVS too

the insults were flying, you have to watch the episode 2 or 3 times to catch them all. Also pretty sure the character thats the old school consultant that Ken and Ben worship has alzheimers

Ken trying to figure out how old Sue is was gold too. "did you see Godfather in the movie theater?"

had a similar kind of thinking
something is definitely not right. either an illness or hes playing them

Aiii

So not worth it
I feed so bad for catherine sometimes lol all she want's to do is film her documentary

She's treated like shit all day long.

Then again, Selena is a huge dick to pretty much everyone she knows... And doesn't know.

Come to think of it, Catherine might be the only likable character in the show, aside from Richard.

BigAT

That one quote was pretty brutal, something along the lines of, "Our divorce is the best thing my husband and I ever did...that includes our daughter."

I thought it was a weak episode but I like that John Slattery is now a part of the cast. He's great.

Exactly my thoughts.

That Amy bit at the end was so weak. Completely out of character for her to pretty much beg Dan. And then have Ben end up receiving the messages? Poor. Iannucci would never have allowed something so sloppy.

TTG

Someone tell me I'm not the only one worried after the last episode. I feel like the show is turning into other mainstream comedy shows, except I don't watch those, so maybe this is in my head? It's a reactionary thing to say after only one troubling episode, but there's some portentous stuff here.

Things used to run at a frantic jam packed pace, now everyone's stretching out. Like that old lovable pro is actually senile story would have been contained within one episode. We've got characters that are suddenly entirely about one thing. "Hi, I'm Catherine, I've got a camera." "Hi, I'm Mike, I'm an old guy trying to get healthy because I've got a kid on the way." So, losing the comedy show that runs at light speed isn't great, but it's affecting depth as well. Oh, and there's also going to be a recap and then a lead in joke and the credits scene has been appropriated for just more show as well.

New episode tonight:
The Eagle

Mike must deal with the consequences of Selina's tweet; Amy begins to be troubled by Bob's behavior; Gary finds himself the belle of the ball at a museum gala.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom