• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vegan community thread - Give Peas a Chance

Daigoro

I bought Robin Robertson's cookbook Vegan on the Cheap recently and ive made about three recipes from it so far.

so far so good! all the recipes have been simple to throw together and ive had just about all of the ingredients needed on hand for the most part.

the big stick pepperoni was a fantastic wheat gluten recipe (it also uses tapioca flour). it came out amazing. I want to make it again soon.

Pulled pork bbq sandwich (really just seitan). The bbq was from a package and tasted decent. Not as good as when I make it from scratch, but a hell of a lot easier.

I did make the cole slaw from scratch, based on http://www.nytimes.com/recipes/1016678/mission-chinese-foods-cabbage-salad.html (minus the anchovies)

looks tasty!

26odyGxl.jpg

We made awesome vegan spaghetti bolognese this weekend, based on this vegetarian recipe.

tldr: (lazy preperation method)
add all the following into a food processor or chop it very finely manually. (We did the manual thing first time round and food processor ever since, the consistency is just perfect.) :D
  • 250 g red onions
  • 75 g beetroot
  • 75 g parsley root (or pastarnac or other root.)
  • 100 g carrot
  • 100 g celery
  • 75 g shitake mushrooms
  • A thumb sized piece of ginger
  • 4 large tomatoes
  • A pepperoni (to taste)
  • 75 g sun dried tomatoes
  • garlic to taste (5 for us)

blend all that. and plonk it in a big pan or wok.
Add:
  • 250 g soy granulate soaked in vegetable stock.
  • 500 ml of red wine.
  • 2 Ts cane sugar
  • 2 ts miso paste
  • 1 tube of tomato purée

season with
  • 1 ts thyme
  • 2 ts rosemary
  • salt
  • pepper

Cook it long enough to reduce the liquid and serve with pasta.

Obviously if you want you can follow the original recipe more closely and fry the onions first and soak the sun dried tomatoes etc.... But it really isn't necessary it tastes great using this lazy blend everything method.

Speaking of which, we bought a Magimix and are loving it!
iyoOZgi.jpg

So far the vegan experience is going well. Not really missing anything I cannot reasonably substitute. Am eating significantly more fruit and veg than when I was just a vegetarian.

Have you tried making your own? I've never had store-bought seitan that was as good as the homemade stuff. As long as you have liquid smoke (or something else as flavourful), it should turn out pretty well.

derFeef

I've been doing some really neat things with Tofu, but I've yet to find Seitan in the swedish supermarkets.

Check health food / wholefood shops, they usually have Seitan.
I am not a fan of Seitan though and have been eating less Tofu as well. Smoked Tofu is still the best thing for evening meal, snacks or salads though.

Daigoro

I've been doing some really neat things with Tofu, but I've yet to find Seitan in the swedish supermarkets.

yeah its super easy to make. steamed or crock pot is the easiest way to get the texture right from what i have found.

like derFeef said just buy the wheat gluten (or whatever they call it where you are) and mix/kneed, and cook. its really simple. the cooking process to get it the right texture is the tricky part, but there are some foolproof methods that make that part easy as well.

Have you tried making your own? I've never had store-bought seitan that was as good as the homemade stuff. As long as you have liquid smoke (or something else as flavourful), it should turn out pretty well.

you dont even need a lot of spices or seasoning in the actual seitan itself as long as you marinade it or cook it with some flavorful sauce after its made really.

derFeef

What do you guys think of the term "flexitarian"?

It's getting thrown around more and more, and I kinda hate it. I recently had a discussion with a co-worker, she heard that I have gone vegan and told me that she is a flexitarian and only eats meat 3 times a week (heh).
I then argumented that this is normal and does not need a term. I think it's here to make it look "better" or to place themselves on the same level, but they ultimately lie to themselves I think.

I personally won't judge anybody or ahte anybody that is eating animal products, but I try to make them think about it (I am a nice and calm person ;) - but this term kinda makes me angry and I always get a bit grumpy if it's used in an argument.

So I'm a non-ethical plant based eater. Main reasons are health and environmentalism.
I'm eating strictly vegetarian, but don't mind non-vegan products if I'm eating out and there are no good vegan options available. I'm also wearing leather shoes.

What do I call me?

I'm not fond of the term flextarian either, and agree people are kidding themselves.

That being said however...
As for me personally, wherever I have an influence I will eat 100% vegan.
At home no question about it. If we go out to dinner I will order vegan e.g. Pizza without cheese please. I don't go out of my way to tell them to make sure my food is vegan if in doubt I will order something more obviously vegan from the menu. That often ends up being a mixed salad, c'est la vie.
At work in the canteen however I am relieved when they have good vegetarian food let alone vegan and I will on occasion just go for the vegetarian option if the alternative is to eat cooked carrots.
And at least for now if friends invite us to dinner I am just a vegetarian. They do however know that I am (want to be more) vegan and are increasingly catering to that.

It seems very likely to me that these things will change over time and I will become more strict about my food as time goes on.

So it might be slightly inconsistent to the last t, but I consider myself vegan even though I will rarely on occasion eat vegetarian when no other option is available to me.

The way I see it, it's impossible to be 100% vegan anyway. Trying to push the percentage up over time is all we can aspire to.

Let's start a new theme in this thread and add to the following list.

Silly questions vegans (vegetarians) face #001:
What would you do if we were stranded on an island and there was only meat to eat?
- If it's about survival I will eat you, ... twat.

Silly questions vegans (vegetarians) face #002:
Oh noes, you accidentally swallowed a fly, are you still vegan (vegetarian) now?
- Cycling with an open mouth is the only way I get my daily intake of proteins, dear.

EmiPrime

It's getting thrown around more and more, and I kinda hate it. I recently had a discussion with a co-worker, she heard that I have gone vegan and told me that she is a flexitarian and only eats meat 3 times a week (heh).
I then argumented that this is normal and does not need a term. I think it's here to make it look "better" or to place themselves on the same level, but they ultimately lie to themselves I think.

I agree with you, it's complete nonsense that doesn't really mean anything.

Number one ignorant question: "But where do you get your protein from?"

I would get really exasperated at how little people know about nutrition but nutritionists peddle this same lie all the time that you need animal products for protein so it's hard to get mad at folk as they've been fed this misconception all their life. Still gets a bit tiresome that this is often the first question people ask me when they find out I am a vegan (or to tell me how much they love bacon or whatever).

you dont even need a lot of spices or seasoning in the actual seitan itself as long as you marinade it or cook it with some flavorful sauce after its made really.

You definitely don't, but I (or, at least, my wife, since she's the cook in our family) have found that it tastes so much better if you make it with seasoning, rather than adding it afterwards. It seems to absorb the flavours better. This recipe, for example, is a lot more flavorful than just straight-up seitan; the chickpea flour adds a neat texture, and makes it more tender than what you'd usually expect.

Daigoro

http://www.mediterrasian.com/delicious_recipes_lentil_curry.htm

found this recipe for Lentil, Potato, and Pea Curry and made it this weekend. its damn good!

i added a 1/2 tsp extra chili powder and an extra potato. also, didnt have the diced tomatoes somehow and added tomato paste instead with some extra water.

check it out.

You definitely don't, but I (or, at least, my wife, since she's the cook in our family) have found that it tastes so much better if you make it with seasoning, rather than adding it afterwards. It seems to absorb the flavours better. This recipe, for example, is a lot more flavorful than just straight-up seitan; the chickpea flour adds a neat texture, and makes it more tender than what you'd usually expect.

i have this recipe. never made it before though. maybe ill check it out. i usually prefer steamed or baked seitan (or crock pot), since its easier not to fuck it up. always wanted to try this one though.

elhav

I personally won't judge anybody or ahte anybody that is eating animal products, but I try to make them think about it (I am a nice and calm person ;) - but this term kinda makes me angry and I always get a bit grumpy if it's used in an argument.
It's indeed a nice way to coat the reality. A lot of people eat meat 3 times a week, it's not anything special or title worthy. If it makes her feel better about herself, for some odd reason, then sure, why not...

squall23

Please don't take offense to what I'm about to say but I've always had..... "interesting" conversations with vegans.

For example, why do vegans continue to find, improve, and eat meat replacements? Doesn't that just mean vegans admit that meat actually tastes good? I don't want to shit up this thread with some huge philosophical debate about what veganism is. It's just that I find it odd that some (not all) vegans have an innate desire to eat recipes that originally contain meat.

I understand everybody's different, not every vegan chooses veganism for the same reasons. It's just that the concept of not-meat always makes me go "why?"

Please don't take offense to what I'm about to say but I've always had..... "interesting" conversations with vegans.

For example, why do vegans continue to find, improve, and eat meat replacements? Doesn't that just mean vegans admit that meat actually tastes good? I don't want to shit up this thread with some huge philosophical debate about what veganism is. It's just that I find it odd that some (not all) vegans have an innate desire to eat recipes that originally contain meat.

I understand everybody's different, not every vegan chooses veganism for the same reasons. It's just that the concept of not-meat always makes me go "why?"

I am a little uncomfortable with meat replacements. I stopped eating meat 13 years ago for reasons I am not going into here and these foods can make me feel conflicted.

I eat them occasionally but I would rather they didn't name them as bacon-style but that is just me. It doesn't stop me eating them from time-to-time; I don't have things like that all that often.

Edit: I will have to try out the recipes in this thread. I never knew there was a vegan thread!

Pinkuss

As a Vegan I just eat nice food which involves as little (or no) cruelty as possible. I've no problem with eating Veggie sausages etc and don't associate them with meat (I was Vegetarian from the age of 5 and never really ate meat pre making the jump).

derFeef

I have just recently gone vegan, but I only ate meat replacement a few times. A few were good, a few were bad - but that's like for every food out there ;)

Honestly I don't like it when they label this stuff as "meat" but I can look past that. I am getting more offended when people say "why do vegans need meat replacement though?".

1. Generalizing is bad
2. If one likes it, that person does not "need" it

What's wrong with that?

I would hazard to say only a minority of vegans is vegan because they didn't like the taste of meat.
For me at least, I loved good meat as much as the next girl or guy.
The longer I am vegetarian/vegan though, the more real meat grosses me out. And I think the longer one is vegi the harder it will be to go back, at least for me. Not that I intend to mind you.
I will occasionally eat meat substitute mostly not for taste but for texture though.
Something like a vegan burger can be delicious and I feel in no way as if I'm eating meat.

Also it helps some struggling vegans to cook and eat things they know as opposed to having to switch all their eating habits.
Same as above, if I go out to dinner with friends and everyone feels like burger, we can go to a good burger joint where I can have a vegan burger and we can all feel as if we belong. I'm not forced to go with the salad, because oh that looser vegan!

I used to feel the same way about meat substitute products, ie. That's just silly.
But now I see no problem with them. If it helps people get off real meat and the cruilty associated with that. It's a.o.k. in my book.

dude

dude
I made some home-made vegan pizza the other day. and it came out total amazeballs.

oTFUsRo.jpg

The cheese is home-made cashew cheese :)

dude

dude
a bag of raw cashews (not roasted and not salted)
Put them in a container with some warm water for a couple of hours.

After they're soft, drain the water and put them in a food processor or blender with a cup of water, 2 spoons of Olive oil, 1-2 cloves of garlic, about one spoon of lemon juice and as much nutritional yeast and salt as you like. Then blend them until smooth.
It'll be a bit more like soft cheese, but the oven turns it prefect. If you want it to be a little more "cheesy" you can add 2.5 spoons of Tapeoka flour (I didn't have any.)

Pinkuss

After they're soft, drain the water and put them in a food processor or blender with a cup of water, 2 spoons of Olive oil, 1-2 cloves of garlic, about one spoon of lemon juice and as much nutritional yeast and salt as you like. Then blend them until smooth.
It'll be a bit more like soft cheese, but the oven turns it prefect. If you want it to be a little more "cheesy" you can add 2.5 spoons of Tapeoka flour (I didn't have any.)

Ta... just put them in water (should probably heat it up though). And is the garlic raw?

Have a real nice Olive Ciabatta and pizza sauce waiting for this :) (and 4 types of Vegan sausage).

dude

dude
Ta... just put them in water (should probably heat it up though). And is the garlic raw?

Have a real nice Olive Ciabatta and pizza sauce waiting for this :) (and 4 types of Vegan sausage).

The water doesn't have to be warm, it just makes the cashew soften faster.
Yeah, I just used a clove of fresh garlic.
Post pictures when you're done, it sounds DELICIOUS :)

I made some home-made vegan pizza the other day. and it came out total amazeballs.

oTFUsRo.jpg

Nice. Cashew cheese is delicious. I visited Portland a few weeks ago (because it's basically the vegan mecca), and my wife had a really good pizza at Dove Vivi with cashew cheese, corn, caramelized onions and a few other things. It was amazing!

Pinkuss

Cashew cheese has turned out mega. (although next time I may tweak the recipe slightly). Now to make the my pizza sauce; only takes an hour of reduction :s (and blending lentils, spinach and possibly broccoli into). Shall endeavour to take pics before I scoff it all..

Can't wait; been living on Innocent pots all week..

Also; anyone got any Vegan Tattoos? I'm thinking of getting the V with a leaf on the end tattoo'd on the top of my arm on Monday (to turn eventually into a half sleeve). Done my research and all their stuffs Vegan now just need to man up and get to it..

Will try this out. :)
Just for reference, as I have never cooked with nutritional yeast, how much should I use?

Famassu

A friend's graduation is tomorrow. Going to make some vegan salty & sweet stuff for it. Pictures, impressions & possibly recipes to follow~

derFeef

So I am vegan for almost 3 months now and I am still awe-struck by my family sometimes, in a good way. Yesterday my GF and me met my mum for the first time together - I told her beforehand that we are both vegan now and that she does not need to make cake or pie for us - which she usually does. I was touched and floored when she put cinnamon snails on the table, vegan of course. It's also my favourite thing my mum makes, and then we got it served vegan. They tasted sooooo good - I believe cinnamon snails (or rolls) are easy to "veganize" - but still it was so delicous. My GF also loved them of course :)

The other part of my family also once made vegan cake for us, and that without saying anything beforehand or without giving them recipes.

What's your experience with your family? I am feeling so lucky because we did not met stubborn reactions yet.

So I am vegan for almost 3 months now and I am still awe-struck by my family sometimes, in a good way. Yesterday my GF and me met my mum for the first time together - I told her beforehand that we are both vegan now and that she does not need to make cake or pie for us - which she usually does. I was touched and floored when she put cinnamon snails on the table, vegan of course. It's also my favourite thing my mum makes, and then we got it served vegan. They tasted sooooo good - I believe cinnamon snails (or rolls) are easy to "veganize" - but still it was so delicous. My GF also loved them of course :)

The other part of my family also once made vegan cake for us, and that without saying anything beforehand or without giving them recipes.

What's your experience with your family? I am feeling so lucky because we did not met stubborn reactions yet.
My experience has always been some sort of shitty joke or reference or comment every time the topic comes up. I'm jealous for what you have!

Daigoro

Made vegan Bolognese for the first time, pretty good but next time it will be better :)

14923418673_021f5a3794_b_d.jpg

looks great! did i miss a recipe posted somewhere?

oTFUsRo.jpg

YUM!

ive been vegan for a long time now, but they have always been supportive and helpful. never had an issue with them luckily. i feel bad for anyone who's family gives them shit for living the way they want to live as long as its not harming themselves or others. that kind of thing is a real shame.

My mom is very cool with it. 'I'm not surprised it was probably inadvertent once you became a vegetarian'
My dad was all like 'but what will you eat, how will you survive?'.
He's gotten used to it now.
My so's (my so being neither vegan nor vegetarian, however she only rarely has non vegan food at home) parents not so much. They had a very rough time adjusting to me becoming vegetarian. So this is not easier on them.
They just don't understand at all. But at least they've stopped arguing about it with me.
Don't see anyone in that family becoming vegetarian any time soon.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Does anyone know where I can buy seitan (mock duck) in the high street in the UK? I've tried Holland and Barret who used to sell it but no more.

RobC

Neo Member
Does anyone know where I can buy seitan (mock duck) in the high street in the UK? I've tried Holland and Barret who used to sell it but no more.

It's quite widely available in Chinese supermarkets/food stores, and more often than not cheaper than what you'd pay in H&B.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It's quite widely available in Chinese supermarkets/food stores, and more often than not cheaper than what you'd pay in H&B.

Thanks. I've not seen any Chinese food stores around Glasgow. I'll keep my eyes out for it.

RobC

Neo Member
Thanks. I've not seen any Chinese food stores around Glasgow. I'll keep my eyes out for it.

They tend to do quite a few other mock meats too, and plain old Tofu. Great if you can find one, there's a pretty big Chinese community in Sheffield so I'm a bit spoilt for choice.

Famassu

They don't really make vegan dishes for me, but they have an assortment of stuff like soy protein etc. in their food cupboards and always ask if there's something they could buy from the store that I can use to make food for myself when I'm coming over. They do like to eat my vegan cookings though my father can be all "DOES THIS HAVE SOME SOY PROTEIN IN IT, TASTES LIKE IT DOES" (he thinks there's some aftertaste to it that he doesn't like), even when no kind of soy product has ever been near the food. :D That said, they've never tried to talk me out of it, just asked some questions about why I'm doing it, asked how I can eat healthily and kind of tried to explain why they aren't going to even try to be vegetarian/vegan, even when I haven't really been judgmental at all of them still eating meat or ever tried to pressure them into changing their habits or anything like that.

Will try this out. :)
Just for reference, as I have never cooked with nutritional yeast, how much should I use?

I think it depends on how much you like nooch. My wife always uses a lot of it, but we're both huge fans of it; conversely, I've found some cashew cheese recipes that only call for a few tablespoons, which seems like barely anything.

When I first went veg -- not even vegan -- I remember my mom being furious at me about it, and saying we'd never be able to eat meals as a family again since it would require too much meal preparation.

Jump ahead to the present day, and at Canadian Thanksgiving a few weeks ago she was telling how she was bragging to all her coworkers about the chickpea loaf she was making for her son and daughter-in-law. My whole family ended up adapting to it pretty well -- they all seem to have realized that having two vegans at the table meant that a) they could be a little more adventurous in what they made, and b) they were guaranteed of having something good brought to dinner, since my wife is a fantastic cook.

A question for GymGAF.

I want to pay more attention to what I eat after my regular workout.
The last few days I've just been eating smoked tofu after gym to get protein into the system.
Any other ideas, suggestions or pointers as to what I should pay attention to or try?

Also I've come to really like smoked tofu. I can see how carnivores might think its tasteless, but I almost feel as if I've forgotten how good real meat tasted. But to me the consistency and taste of smoked tofu goes great with so many dishes (or even on its own). It's as if my taste buds have been freed from the desire for everything to be super intense tasting with heavy use of flavour enhancer.

derFeef

Yeah smoked Tofu is great for almost everything.

My "super sandwich" consists of - Whole wheat bread, hummus, salad, tomato slices or olives, smoked tofu slices, sometimes some mung beans sprouts, pepper and salt.

Yeah smoked Tofu is great for almost everything.

My "super sandwich" consists of - Whole wheat bread, hummus, salad, tomato slices or olives, smoked tofu slices, sometimes some mung beans sprouts, pepper and salt.

My typical sandwich is:
Whole grain bread, marmite, smoked tofu, mustard, radishes and lettuce

ricki42

My parents weren't happy when I went vegetarian. I only went vegan after moving out - they were still not happy with that. They - esp. my mom - were actually pretty upset. She was also worried I'd run into issues with malnutrition, but luckily that at least was relatively easy to dispell; I gave her Gill Langley's book on vegan nutrition, can't argue with the science.
I also gave her a number of vegan recipes and cook books for inspiration and to show that I still eat a large variety of food, and she's quite interested in discovering new ingredients. So now ~15yrs later they have pretty much come to terms with it, and when I come visit (only happens every couple of years) there's usually some pretty good food, maybe cake too.
They are also always bragging about how when anyone brings up veganism they know the word, makes them feel very worldly I think.

My typical sandwich is:
Whole grain bread, marmite, smoked tofu, mustard, radishes and lettuce

Bread, sauteed portabella, avocado, hummus, cilantro, watercress (or whatever green I have on hand), drizzle of olive oil. Two thumbs up.

Has anyone had these Hilary's Eats Well World's Best Veggie Burgers (they're vegan)? I just bought a pack on a whim cause it's late and I didn't feel like cooking and holy shit they're good. They remind me a lot of falafel. These are definitely going in the "when I'm lazy" foods rotation.

Top Bottom