• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Velocity 2X |OT| Yippee Kai Yay ************

SerTapTap

I don't run in to spikes like that often. Maybe try going through the stage at a reasonable pace instead of full pelt constantly. That's the equivalent of constantly rolling in DKC and blaming the game when you die. Except in Sonic you're punished less for it. I can get that argument about games like Sonic Rush and the like, but not the Mega Drive games.

Constantly slowing down (which you have to do due to how momentum works in Sonic) is incredibly unenjoyable and a big part of why I enjoy Velocity more--very few segments in Velocity require stopping and reacting on anything but reflexes. Stuff comes at you with just the right speed. In sonic you have to deliberately stay slow for that to happen, that's really unfortunate to me.

I'm absolutely loving this game. Even better than the first. Controls are so smooth and the platforming sections are an absolute blast. Maybe even better than the ship sections. It's hard as shit, though.

Also I love that there is a trophy for hitting speed pads called Qirex R.I.P. WipEout reference = victory.

I think I like the platforming segments too, they're a bit tighter due to the physics. I think the ship segments might benefit from teleport being a fixed distance just like the platforming sections. It almost, but doesn't quite, work like that, would be nice to get rid of the extra, mostly unnecessary, fidgetyness of the ship teleport and instead design all jumps around the specific distance (they mostly are anyway). Though this would prevent the touch-teleport or make it pretty cheaty.

mattp

Is anyone having trouble with the Vita version? Every time I complete a level, it fades to black, then hangs.

happened to me once, when my wifi access point locked up so it lost connection to psn
seems like the game just hangs trying to upload your score to the leaderboard

ZeroX03

Banned
Why could you? It's fixed-distance on foot. You would break a lot of puzzles and possibly get stuck by being able to teleport like you can in the ship.

For some sort of semblance of consistency with the ship controls. I get why for puzzles to an extent, but boy those are some massive changes in controlling person and ship . Obviously not an issue if you're used to using square to teleport. It's really harshing my buzz, man.

I'll get over it anyway, glad it's not a problem for anyone else.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I just downloaded the PS4 version and have a few minor gripes. It's not full screen on my tv, but screw that. The font is really small, but I can ignore that. One thing that gets me is that the buttons during explanations in the tutorial aren't displayed properly, so I have to press everything to find the correct button.

SerTapTap

I just downloaded the PS4 version and have a few minor gripes. It's not full screen on my tv, but screw that. The font is really small, but I can ignore that. One thing that gets me is that the buttons during explanations in the tutorial aren't displayed properly, so I have to press everything to find the correct button.

I'm pretty sure you're having an overscan problem, that's not how it should look. Try and disable overscan on your TV if you can and make sure the display is set to fill the screen in PS4 settings. Overscan is awful.

For some sort of semblance of consistency with the ship controls. I get why for puzzles to an extent, but boy those are some massive changes in controlling person and ship . Obviously not an issue if you're used to using square to teleport. It's really harshing my buzz, man.

I'll get over it anyway, glad it's not a problem for anyone else.

Touch teleport is a bonus not a primary control method, so you have to keep that in mind. I think the platforming controls are about as perfect as they could be considering they require entirely new physics and movement capabilities. Would have been pretty lame if platforming sections were the same as the ship sections just with a Kai sprite instead of a quarp jet sprite.

Arukado

After playing the first nine stages, i only can say...

holy-sht.gif

p3tran

Banned
so I played the first five levels. it's really hard for me to come to accept that right now its sitting on ..89 metacritic.
I thought super time force getting >80 was too much.

apparently there is something I'm missing here....

edit: I see arukado's post, and so I'm going back to play four more levels.

DBT85

Doesn't sound right at all. Fills my TV in glorious 1080p60

so I played the first five levels. it's really hard for me to come to accept that right now its sitting on ..89 metacritic.

Have you just got to the end of the levels or tried to get a Perfect on them?

Croc

Banned
Quick question for those of you who have started going for Perfects.

Does dying at all prevent you from getting a Perfect ranking?

SerTapTap

The game does not FORCE you to be good to complete the levels, but it is certainly more enjoyable when played "right". Try for a few perfects, especially on the platforming sections, and you'll either get it or you won't. Not that everyone will like everything, of course. But if you're not getting into a sense of flow and pulling off moves as quickly as you're able, you're not getting the full experience, you're just going through the motions.

Wait, FIVE LEVELS? The game hasn't even started.

Dying is definitely not Perfect. Also need all crystals, survivors, time, score. I'm not entirely sure if all health packs, enemies, power ups etc are required or not though.

DBT85

Yep.

Dying is definitely not Perfect. Also need all crystals, survivors, time, score. I'm not entirely sure if all health packs, enemies, power ups etc are required or not though.

I believe you need to get everything.

That's why Perfects on the long 4+ min levels in Velocity Ultra were so god damned amazing, because you were on the fucking ball for an intense 4+ minutes.

SerTapTap

That's also why I've been avoiding the 4+ minute levels so far, heh. Been trying to perfect everything under 2 minutes before continuing. That labyrinth level will be Fun™ to perfect I'm sure.

Major gameplay spoilers for last 3 levels:
am I the only one aside from other reviewers who's gotten to the 2 ships stuff? Impressions? Didn't want to spoil it in the video but it's a mindfuck. But manageable if you just think like you're controlling the blue ship for most of it. It's cool but I'm glad the levels are short!

p3tran

Banned
The game does not FORCE you to be good to complete the levels, but it is certainly more enjoyable when played "right". Try for a few perfects, especially on the platforming sections, and you'll either get it or you won't. Not that everyone will like everything, of course. But if you're not getting into a sense of flow and pulling off moves as quickly as you're able, you're not getting the full experience, you're just going through the motions.

Wait, FIVE LEVELS? The game hasn't even started.

yeah, I went back and finished the first dozen, boss ship included.
I get how it plays, I get the mechanic, I get how you score the points etc.

I just dont get the 89 metacritic though, but its not a big deal after all.

Question for those who played both Velocity Ultra and have finished 2X:

If I perfected every Critical Urgency mission in Ultra without too many problems, is there anything in 2X that will really throw me for a loop?

I haven't had time to play much so I'm only on the 10th mission (I take the time to perfect every mission before moving on), but I don't mind gameplay spoilers.

As for general impressions, this game is fucking amazing (seems to be a repeated mantra in this thread, which is awesome), and the soundtrack in the first ten levels has already (in my opinion) been even better than Ultra's (which was also great).

anddo0

Sorry if already answered.

Is the dlc cross-buy?

I'm enjoying the game. I've owned every version going back to PSP. The puzzle aspect remains my least favorite portion of the game. Otherwise, Velocity has always been a rush to play.

If I perfected every Critical Urgency mission in Ultra without too many problems, is there anything in 2X that will really throw me for a loop?

I haven't had time to play much so I'm only on the 10th mission (I take the time to perfect every mission before moving on), but I don't mind gameplay spoilers.

As for general impressions, this game is fucking amazing (seems to be a repeated mantra in this thread, which is awesome), and the soundtrack in the first ten levels has already (in my opinion) been even better than Ultra's (which was also great).

Early on, 2X seems like it will be easier if anything.

ZeroX03

Banned
That's why Perfects on the long 4+ min levels in Velocity Ultra were so god damned amazing, because you were on the fucking ball for an intense 4+ minutes.

I always found the Perfects on long levels on Velocity Ultra to be the less impressive feats. The time restrictions were usually a lot more lenient so you could take it much slower and there was room for non-fatal errors.

Critical Urgency zones on the other hand, one screw up and you were out.

I always found the Perfects on long levels on Velocity Ultra to be the less impressive feats. The time restrictions were usually a lot more lenient so you could take it much slower and there was room for non-fatal errors. Critical Urgency zones on the other hand, one screw up and you were out.

Exactly the reason why Critical Urgency missions are my favorite. Like, the ridiculous amount of gaming bliss I feel when I perfect a Critical Urgency mission is off the charts.

I truly appreciate that the devs made the time requirements for perfects on Critical Urgency in Ultra so strict that I rarely if ever finished them with more than 1 second to spare (I think I got like 2 seconds below the gold requirement on one of them, but I can't remember for sure or which one it was).

Does this game require you grind for points to unlock all zones or can it be finished without doing so? Got to zone 43 out of 50 in the last game but I didn't have it in me to grind previous stages to continue with the game.

Does this game require you grind for points to unlock all zones or can it be finished without doing so? Got to zone 43 out of 50 in the last game but I didn't have it in me to grind previous stages to continue with the game.

It has the same requirement system for unlocking levels. But is asking the player to perform better on previous levels really "grinding"?

SerTapTap

The platforming sections are likely to take some getting used to, but they're very good on their own. Maybe better than the ship parts. But what's hard in platforming sections is very different from ship ones, especially later on. You haven't even unlocked all gameplay features until halfway in I think, and levels only get more complex. The last levels are definitely complex.

Mid-late game gameplay spoilers:
You'll eventually be teleporting through melee instakill opponents for example, sometimes more than one on one platform. These are the only enemies I die to with any reasonable frequency. Also, there's some timed puzzles in the platforming sections, nothing too impossible, but a couple really do require good timing.

Very late game gameplay spoilers:
the aformentioned 2 ships thing will fuck with your head. It's not TOO bad, but it's a nice mixup.

The Critical Urgency DLC missions are also very tricky to Perfect, mostly focused on ship segments than platforming though. More execution than puzzle/routing based too.

You'd have to frankly play pretty poorly to beat all available levels but still not unlock the next zone. Even if you play like absolute trash, collecting all survivors and crystals (generally not a time-sensitive task unlike score/time) you should be good to go.

Got a perfect run on the first 9 stages, but that winning streak came to an abrupt stop at 10 - it's totally kicking my ass. Terrific game though, probably the best I've played yet this year. FuturLab is going places.

I'm beginning to wish there were no ship levels. I'd be happy with just the platforming. I just don't think it's my kind of game.

S1kkZ

i loved the game until they introduced the portable transporter you have to throw. who thought this was a good idea? aiming feels terrible and it slows the whole game down.

i hope i get more used to it.

iosefe

i loved the game until they introduced the portable transporter you have to throw. who thought this was a good idea? aiming feels terrible and it slows the whole game down.

i hope i get more used to it.

try inverting the left stick for it. might help

The platforming sections are likely to take some getting used to, but they're very good on their own. Maybe better than the ship parts. But what's hard in platforming sections is very different from ship ones, especially later on. You haven't even unlocked all gameplay features until halfway in I think, and levels only get more complex. The last levels are definitely complex.

Mid-late game gameplay spoilers:
You'll eventually be teleporting through melee instakill opponents for example, sometimes more than one on one platform. These are the only enemies I die to with any reasonable frequency. Also, there's some timed puzzles in the platforming sections, nothing too impossible, but a couple really do require good timing.

Very late game gameplay spoilers:
the aformentioned 2 ships thing will fuck with your head. It's not TOO bad, but it's a nice mixup.

The Critical Urgency DLC missions are also very tricky to Perfect, mostly focused on ship segments than platforming though. More execution than puzzle/routing based too.

You'd have to frankly play pretty poorly to beat all available levels but still not unlock the next zone. Even if you play like absolute trash, collecting all survivors and crystals (generally not a time-sensitive task unlike score/time) you should be good to go.

Yeah, I don't even have bombs yet, which is really bothering me, since I prefer spamming those than actually firing with X. And yeah, the platforming sections are slowing me down, but only because I can't constantly hold R1 and fire at the same time, which is my biggest gripe with the game. What's truly fucking with my head is that the game forces me to slow down in the platforming sections while making it perfectly possible to never take my finger off R1 in the ship sections (mostly, any way. I don't think it's possible to collect every survivor in "Reunion" without slowing down, for example, and I'm rank 2 on the leaderboard for that one).

SerTapTap

Yeah, I don't even have bombs yet, which is really bothering me, since I prefer spamming those than actually firing with X. And yeah, the platforming sections are slowing me down, but only because I can't constantly hold R1 and fire at the same time, which is my biggest gripe with the game. =What's truly fucking with my head is that the game forces me to slow down in the platforming sections while making it perfectly possible to never take my finger off R1 in the ship sections (mostly, any way. I don't think it's possible to collect every survivor in "Reunion" without slowing down, for example, and I'm rank 2 on the leaderboard for that one).

Once you unlock a gameplay feature it says unlocked, so once you get bombs you can use them even in level 1.

RE bolded, eventually you'll get a forward-shot rifle that you can use while running. If you notice, the platforming sections are basically geared around being very precise with how you stop running and use the arm cannon, so it's still pretty tight gameplay. It's just not the exact same, which I think is good.

Also, tele-dashing is faster than running, try it. But it's also riskier.

v1perz53

Sorry if already answered.

Is the dlc cross-buy?

DLC was cross buy for me. I bought the Vita DLC and something showed up in my download list called Velocity2X DLC1 separate from the Vita DLC, and when I clicked on it it brought me to the PS4 DLC page. Can only confirm when buying vita version of DLC, not the other way around but I'm sure it works too.

Once you unlock a gameplay feature it says unlocked, so once you get bombs you can use them even in level 1.

RE bolded, eventually you'll get a forward-shot rifle that you can use while running. If you notice, the platforming sections are basically geared around being very precise with how you stop running and use the arm cannon, so it's still pretty tight gameplay. It's just not the exact same, which I think is good.

Also, tele-dashing is faster than running, try it. But it's also riskier.

RE Bolded: Yes, I know, since it's not even possible to perfect the 2nd level without bombs. It just bothered me since I had them pretty much from the start in Ultra.

I don't disagree that the gameplay in the platforming is tight. It feels amazing. And I like to sprint and teledash at the same time, but that still doesn't really fix my issue with not being able to fire. I suppose I could teledash to move and fire, but then I'd have to hold the controller/vita in a weird way since generally I move my thumb back and forth between the right stick and square.

DBT85

Really missing the Bombs, look forward to getting those bad boys back.

I prefer the traditional gameplay over the platforming, it seems a little disjointed compared to the traditional and I think it's because of the shooting on the right stick as opposed to the x button. Also not being able to sprint and fire is annoying as all hell. Personally I would have like it if firing just took you out of sprint.

Platforming is still very fun though.

SerTapTap

Really missing the Bombs, look forward to getting those bad boys back.

I prefer the traditional gameplay over the platforming, it seems a little disjointed compared to the traditional and I think it's because of the shooting on the right stick as opposed to the x button.

Platforming is still very fun though.

There will be a single press forward only shot eventually, just like the ship. Hand laser is more like bombs than shot.

the platforming is so much more fun than the ship parts. i dont like how fidgety the teleporting is in the ship. i wish it would just jump you a set distance in one of 4 directions.

the platformer sections are amazing though. perfect really.

Top Bottom