• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Venezuela Invasion of Guiana: Watch Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member

An Invasion of The Essequibo Region might be happening soon. This thread might be useful in case os escalation.

Guyana has appealed for help from the United Nations and the United States as the Venezuelan president, Nicolás Maduro, announced a series of measures intended to advance its annexation of two-thirds of the tiny South American nation’s territory.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/dec/01/venezuela-oil-guyana-essequibo-vote-nicolas-maduro
“I have spoken to the secretary general of the United Nations and several leaders, alerting them of these dangerous developments and the desperate actions of President Maduro,” Irfaan Ali, president of Guyana, said in a television broadcast late on Tuesday, as he informed the nation of 800,000 of Maduro’s latest steps intended to create a new Venezuelan state in Guyana.

Two days after the referendum on Essequibo, a territory disputed between Venezuela and Guyana, the government of Nicolás Maduro is moving forward to try to enforce what was approved Sunday in a vote that registered almost no participation in the streets but which Chavismo hailed as a victory with 10.4 million voters, reawakening a crisis of credibility in the country’s electoral authorities. In a television appearance Tuesday, Maduro presented a new official map of Venezuela with Essequibo incorporated, without the disputed delimitation, during a Council of State in which he announced a series of measures and upcoming legislation to cement Caracas’ possession of the territory and its resources. Earlier, Maduro had sent a military contingent to Puerto Barima on the Venezuelan Atlantic border, close to the limits of the area under claim.

Brazil says that it is deploying troops along its border with Venezuela after the Venezuelan government announced plans to incorporate an area controlled by Guyana into its territory.

On December 5, 2023, the Brazilian Army announced a significant deployment of 16 armored vehicles to the Venezuelan border.

This action aims to strengthen the cities of Pacaraima and Boa Vista in Roraima. This move comes after Venezuela's referendum to annex part of Guyana's territory.

In a statement, the Army highlighted the need for constant vigilance and readiness. They are committed to protecting Brazil's borders.

The deployment, initially planned under the Army's Strategic Planning, was expedited due . . .

To read the full NEWS and much more, Subscribe to our Premium Membership Plan. Already Subscribed? Login Here

Last edited:

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
There is no way this war happens unless Brazil allows Venezuela to use its territory. Nevertheless, if it happens, it is really sad but I guess no one will help poor Guiana.

Last edited:
Well... that was bound to happen eventually. With Maduro in power... yeah. Unfortunately, Venezuela's army is orders of magnitude bigger than Guiana's.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
So Guyana is an ally of the USA? Well that should pretty much halt any invasion effort from Venezuela if that is indeed what is happening. We could park an aircraft carrier nearby with enough firepower to burn down the entire world.

Saber

Gold Member
From what I get here, brazilian forces are on border just to prevent Venezuelan forces from invading our country. So far I haven't seeing Brazil siding with anyone.

Scotty W

Gold Member
I’ve been crazy about Roraima for a long time.

cxi3Crc.jpg

Tams

well, guyana used to be british guyana.,

Yes, that was my point.

The remnants of the British Empire are the British Overseas Territories. And like the more extensive Overseas France, and even Spain and America's overseas territories, they are more developed and civilised than their neighbours.

Mesousa

Banned
They would have to go through Brazil to get to British Guyana. That would be their ass even before Guayana got their hands on them.

Ribi

There is no way this war happens unless Brazil allows Venezuela to use its territory. Nevertheless, if it happens, it is really sad but I guess no one will help poor Guiana.
Us will help the fuck out of them. Lots of oil money involved.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
Why do they have to go through Brazil?
Because the shared border is basically jungle without any roads. Brazil side is mostly savanna like and has roads accessing Essequibo. The other feasible alternative for Venezuela is a sea invasion but they don’t really have any meaningful navy.

Mesousa

Banned
You guys really need to look at a map.
You need to get a passport and actually visit these places.

The border between British Guyana and Venezuela is nothing but a tropical rainforest without even dirt roads, much less a paved ones.

You cant send a ground force through it.

belmarduk

They really do.

Lots of top end Western weaponry needs some live test subjects and the CCP tendrils in the region need to be shooed off.

We have that already in Ukraine and Israel. Lots of it.
Also, Venezuela is already failing due to their shitty government. They went from one of the wealthiest countries in South America to the poorest in a generation.

I think that invasion will happen sooner or later. Regimes like Maduro's live from one crisis to another because they have to cover one problem with another problem.

One of these crisis will destroy the regime but it will do a lot of damage.

Tams

We have that already in Ukraine and Israel. Lots of it.
Also, Venezuela is already failing due to their shitty government. They went from one of the wealthiest countries in South America to the poorest in a generation.

No, I mean the stuff that Ukraine never has a chance of getting.

Johnny2Bad

You need to get a passport and actually visit these places.

The border between British Guyana and Venezuela is nothing but a tropical rainforest without even dirt roads, much less a paved ones.

You cant send a ground force through it.
So no army has ever attacked through jungle before? Like for example, the Japanese or the British or the Americans or the Vietnamese?
You need to learn more history.

BTW, it's not "British" Guyana and hasn't been for a long time.

Tams

So no army has ever attacked through jungle before? Like for example, the Japanese or the British or the Americans or the Vietnamese?

As if Venezuela are equipped and skilled enough to do that, lol.

And it was utter hell for all those in your examples. Venezuelan troops have no incentive to go through that only to end up some US munitions test subjects.

Mesousa

Banned

Would you compare Venezuela with some of the best Militaries which have ever existed on this earth?

Im open to learn more about British Guyana though. I know there are quite a few of you guys in New York City.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Scary to think of a country invading, America’s style is “world police” and people wonder why, South America is incredible and I expect Guyana to win.

Johnny2Bad

As if Venezuela are equipped and skilled enough to do that, lol.

And it was utter hell for all those in your examples. Venezuelan troops have no incentive to go through that only to end up some US munitions test subjects.

Would you compare Venezuela with some of the best Militaries which have ever existed on this earth?

Im open to learn more about British Guyana though. I know there are quite a few of you guys in New York City.
Wether the Venezuelans are good enough to pull it off is another matter. Remember, their goal is not to take over the whole country, it's only to take the disputed territory which is not all that big. The side that wins is the side who are better fighters.
Russia thought they would easily take Ukraine with their larger and better equipped army. The result was apparent. They sucked. Ukraine have a much higher resolve where most Russian soldiers don't even want to be there. Very much like the Vietnam War actually.

Top Bottom