• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Venezuela's Maduro calls for military exercises after Trump threat

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link.

Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro on Monday called for military exercises after U.S. President Donald Trump's threat of a possible armed intervention in the country, but Maduro insisted he still wanted to hold talks with the U.S. leader.

As Maduro told supporters in Caracas to prepare for an "imperialist" invasion, U.S. Vice President Mike Pence sought to calm concerns in the region about Trump's talk, promising a peaceful solution to Venezuela's "collapse into dictatorship."

The unpopular Maduro, struggling with a collapsing economy at home and increasing diplomatic isolation abroad, has used Trump's comments on Friday to reaffirm long-standing accusations that Washington is preparing a military attack.

"Everyone has to join the defense plan, millions of men and women, let's see how the American imperialists like it," Maduro told supporters, urging them to join the two-day operation on Aug 26 and 27 involving both soldiers and civilians.

Thousands of government supporters rallied in Caracas where they denounced Trump's suggestion of a "military option" to resolve Venezuela's crisis.

Also:

The Associated Press‏ @AP

Venezuela president asks powerful assembly to probe opposition for allegedly backing Trump threat of intervention.

Trump talking about military options in Venezuela is crazy. The people are suffering there? People are suffering in Yemen and Palestine too. No rush to help out there though. This is empire run amok! What happens in Venezuela is nonr of the US' fuckin' business. Elections are next year, people will vote Maduro out if things are as bad as US media says. And if they don't, that's up to them.

Like I always say, this naked imperialism will not last much longer. The decline is real and it'll be faster than we think.

diunxx

Trump talking about military options in Venezuela is crazy. The people are suffering there? People are suffering in Yemen and Palestine too. No rush to help out there though. This is empire run amok! What happens in Venezuela is nonr of the US' fuckin' business. Elections are next year, people will vote Maduro out if things are as bad as US media says. And if they don't, that's up to them.

Like I always say, this naked imperialism will not last much longer. The decline is real and it'll be faster than we think.

Jesus, do you honestly fucking think Venezuelans are gonna get free and fair elections?

your entire post takes seriously that he has done, is doing, or will ever do anything of the kind. It's Trump babbling.

And ROFL at elections. Educate yourself.

Venezuelans need all the humanitarian help they can get, governments also need to condemn and sanction Maduro's narco-corrupt ditatorship, what Venezuela doesn't need is war, let alone a foreign invasion.

Jesus, do you honestly fucking think Venezuelans are gonna get free and fair elections?
Yup. Only time US media won't bitch is if the opposition wins.
your entire post takes seriously that he has done, is doing, or will ever do anything of the kind. It's Trump babbling.

And ROFL at elections. Educate yourself.
You're right about the babbling but threatening nations with invasions is just juvenile and makes US look like a crazy rogue state, which it is and has been for awhile. I think you will do better to follow your own advice and educate yourself. Venezuela has a very robust election infrastructure. You should read up on it. I know you won't believe it but you should consider the possibility that you are wrong about things. I know it's hard to sort through the propaganda, so I don't blame you. It's the usual thing, people you Support win - all is well. People you don't support win - they cheated. Always the same shit. Their voting system is even better than ours by several accounts.
Venezuelans need all the humanitarian help they can get, governments also need to condemn and sanction Maduro's narco-corrupt ditatorship, what Venezuela doesn't need is war, let alone a foreign invasion.
I agree with half of what you say. Let them vote Maduro out of office. Elections are next year; it's not too long to wait. Threatening invasions is just silly.

Metal B

I agree with half of what you say. Let them vote Maduro out of office. Elections are next year; it's not too long to wait. Threatening invasions is just silly.
Haha yeah. They should just vote him out of the office! This will be one great and fair election similar to Russia and North Korea.

Haha yeah. They should just vote him out of the office! This will be one great and fair election similar to Russia and North Korea.
Man, it's no use even talking to you people!

I know, elections are rigged in Venezuela. Except the National Assembly elections in late 2015... yeah, only that count cause you got the result you want.

Please, brah!

Venezuela is suffering, but fuck the United States of America and their constant fucking of smaller countries only to receive questionable benefits. The USA, no matter the president living in the White House, has continuously brought pain to poorer regions in the world, especially Latin America.

Fuck Maduro, fuck Donald Trump, but above all, fuck the USA and its World Police attitude.

KDR_11k

Maduro was always claiming the whole economic disaster was the fault of the US somehow, Trump's posturing gave him a convenient excuse. Who knows what kind of shit he'll pull during these "exercises".

But does the army or people who join the exercises get to eat? Because otherwise I'm not sure how much their stamina would last, if things are so bad that they are eating zoo animals.

diunxx

I know, elections are rigged in Venezuela. Except the National Assembly elections in late 2015... yeah, only that count cause you got the result you want.

Please, brah!

Jesus you are a fucking idiot dude.

Apt101

A long, long time ago people idolized the US military because they might one day come to their aid. Now thanks to decades of us bombing the shit out of civilians while private contractors reaped billions, or toppling governments only to make things worse, we're a fucking boogeyman. It seems like this administration may end up being the crescendo.

Are the soldiers even adequately fed?

Most probably, or otherwise they would turn against the government too.

I wonder what would happen if the rest of nearby latin american countries took matters into their own hands and had a joint operation to depose Maduro. They probably are not very happy about the flow of refugees Maduro is generating.

But does the army or people who join the exercises get to eat? Because otherwise I'm not sure how much their stamina would last, if things are so bad that they are eating zoo animals.

Maduro put the army in charge of the food program, and since this is corrupt Latin America, it means the army started a blackmarket for food out of the surplus they had.

So yeah, the army is eating plenty.

I wonder what would happen if the rest of nearby latin american countries took matters into their own hands and had a joint operation to depose Maduro. They probably are not very happy about the flow of refugees Maduro is generating.

Literally never going to happen. We don't roll like that, thank the gods.

Ac30

Which ones?
I'm basically new to the Venezuela situation, and GAF discussions are often a nice way of finding out more.

One concerning the constitutional rewrite, I'll look for it.

EDIT: can't find the other thread but post #225 he's suggesting stuff's only looking bad to the rest of us because Western Media is prepping the rest of the world for regime change.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=244987342#post244987342

Please, brah!

Yeah, and what happened after the opposition won? They had their powers stripped.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/30/venezuela-president-nicolas-maduro-national-assembly

They should just vote the judges out then, easy.

Also, on voting Maduro out, his own government blocked a recall vote.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/oct/21/venezuela-president-maduro-recall-referendum

Linkark07

Banned
Hahahaha, impossible. Latin American countries will never join for a common goal.

Our politicians are too corrupt and are single minded. They just think how to make themselves and their friends more rich and fuck the poor people and middle class.

Yup. Only time US media won't bitch is if the opposition wins.

You're right about the babbling but threatening nations with invasions is just juvenile and makes US look like a crazy rogue state, which it is and has been for awhile. I think you will do better to follow your own advice and educate yourself. Venezuela has a very robust election infrastructure. You should read up on it. I know you won't believe it but you should consider the possibility that you are wrong about things. I know it's hard to sort through the propaganda, so I don't blame you. It's the usual thing, people you Support win - all is well. People you don't support win - they cheated. Always the same shit. Their voting system is even better than ours by several accounts.

You're a joke and a dictator apologist. I have friends and familia in Venezuela. I talk with them every day. Piss off.

Our politicians are too corrupt and are single minded. They just think how to make themselves and their friends more rich and fuck the poor people and middle class.

And another proof that Spain ruined Latin America. They have learned too well from our politicians.

Jackpot

Banned
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...aduro-strips-opposition-held-parliament-power

President Maduro strips Venezuela's parliament of power

Legislative powers taken from opposition-led parliament, as country's fugitive attorney general alleges Maduro corruption links

Venezuela's political crisis has deepened after a new pro-government ”superbody" stripped the opposition-held parliament of its legislative powers and the fugitive attorney general accused President Nicolás Maduro of links to a corruption scandal.

The move by the national constituent assembly, denounced by regional powers and the US, has limited practical impact. The government had in effect neutered the parliament soon after the 2015 election that brought it to power, and the new constituent assembly already has virtually unlimited reach.

But it underlines government plans to use the new superbody, officially convened to update the constitution, to pursue its own political agenda. The opposition denounced the move as a further blow against democracy, but said it would ignore the order and continue to meet.

Lookit all dat freedom. Good thing they had those elections!

diunxx

Most probably, or otherwise they would turn against the government too.

not gonna happen, he sells us cheap oil.

Man the situation there is bad. Saw a gaffer's thread about it but, did not understand the depths until I saw some video on it today in one of my social feeds. Jesus. What can I do? I ask seriously, is there a smile.amazon thing for that or any other way to donate?... or what?

Top Bottom